Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th April 2021, 01:44   #901
BHPian

Re: 2020 Tata Harrier Automatic : Official Review

I always advise my friends to not put their money in domestic brands. Be it cars or 2 wheelers. This post by Nayan validates my resolve to keep on advising the same. For whatever reasons, our brands have still got a long way to go when it comes to achieving superior quality and manufacturing prowess. The only people I know of who are happy with their purchases of domestic brands are the ones who know little about cars or bikes and dont care whether some rattle is coming from here or there while driving. Let alone enthusiasts, even a guy who knows just a little bit about automobiles will seldom be satisfied with a domestic car brand purchase, be it in short term or long term. Whereas, we see wide smiles when asked about long term ownership experience to guys who own international brands like Fiats, Fords, VWs and so on. Even a car like Ford Fiesta (the most recent version، not the popular one) which did not do well as far as sales numbers are concerned, was a benchmark in terms of quality in the industry.

The kind of money that is required to buy cars like Harriers & Thars is something that would pinch even the most rich, if the car goes into niggles sooner or later. It also brings in a sense of personal grief and regret about going ahead and buying a domestic brand over the foreign ones.

But even then, my experience so far has been, people generally tend to put emotions, of buying a domestic and desi brand, ahead of logic and proper market study or athentic reviews. Unsurprisingly & regrettably they suffer afterwards. Alas!

It's not my money nor my car but reading the long, long post by Nayan makes me feel ashamed of and shatters faith in the domestic car market.
Fuldagap is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 28th April 2021, 08:51   #902
BHPian

For all Harrier owners complaining of mild rattling from the B pillars, kindly check if it is a rattle or a slight buzzing sound. The Harrier's parent, discovery sport had a famous B pillar rattle/buzz issue when it was launched (until 2015/16). The issue was body shell flex and the landrover solution was to unweld and reweld the b pillar join to prevent flex. The later discovery sport had this issue solved from the factory. The root cause was some bad welding robots in the factory. Not sure if the baby (Harrier) has inherited the same flaws including shoddy robots
AirbusCapt is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 28th April 2021, 09:36   #903
BHPian

I strongly feel the Anti-China sentiment along with Harrier’s striking appearance helped ramp up the sales chart of the Harrier v2. Some may be aware that, Tata (or the dealers) hired a lot of auto enthusiasts on YouTube and other social media platforms to give rave reviews of the harrier automatic, following its launch, even tech personalities like a certain “Geeky Ranjit” was not left out, who supposedly only reviewed mobile phone until the time.
Based on my test drive experience, I was thoroughly let down by the overall lack of quality and as already pointed out, lot of inconsistencies. One drive was enough for me to wave good bye to the Harrier.
Harsha89 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 28th April 2021, 09:45   #904
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nayan View Post
Sorry for the late replay.

I have purchased Tata’s so-called premium (or flagship or whatever) product, the Harrier XZ+ MT (DT). ...
Thanks for being patient enough to read such a long post.
Well, the thing is that fanboys, Tata shareholders and paid media have created so much hype calling it a Land Rover at a bargain that not many are willing to talk about these shortcomings. I just don't recommend Tata products to anyone who wants even a slightly comfortable ownership experience, neither would I buy such a crude product and pathetic service even at a great discount.

Tata is simply getting away with safety scores (it is good to make safe cars) but what is the use if the owner is fed up of the experience? Many people will try to bring national sentiments into this argument saying things like "desh Ka loha", "proud to make in India" and some might even mock and try to call the people who actually put out their voice as "desh drohis". Most people (BHPians included) still compare and praise Tata for the leap they took from an Indica to a Harrier and I respect the company for their efforts, but it is important to not get carried away and be realistic. The fit and finish on a 23 Lac rupees car is not comparable to a 4 Lac rupees car? What a joke by Tata! Recently BHPian Kosfactor mentioned in a thread that the interiors of a Safari (2021) in his family has the fit and finish like a concept car, all this after they had been testing their so called 'flagship' for years.

Now some may also argue that my profile picture is a Harrier. So I'll make it clear that it was a random photo taken from the net to complete my Team-Bhp profile and start posting on the forum.

Last edited by Aditya : 28th April 2021 at 17:32. Reason: As requested
Lowflyer23 is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 28th April 2021, 10:01   #905
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieseltuned View Post
This issues reported seriously dent my confidence in Harrier and TATA as a brand. I was looking at it for my 10 year old wagonR replacement but this has got me thinking. Am I overthinking this ?
And that's true for almost every car in that segment. Just try to search for XUV 500 or MG Hector issues on google
HammerHead is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th April 2021, 10:05   #906
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowflyer23 View Post
Well, the thing is that fanboys, Tata shareholders and paid media have created so much hype calling it a Land Rover at a bargain that not many are willing to talk about these shortcomings. I just don't recommend Tata products to anyone who wants even a slightly comfortable ownership experience, neither would I buy such a crude product and pathetic service even at a great discount.

Tata is simply getting away with safety scores (it is good to make safe cars) but what is the use if the owner is fed up of the experience? Many people will try to bring national sentiments into this argument saying things like "desh Ka loha", "proud to make in India" and some might even mock and try to call the people who actually out put their voice as "desh drohis". Most people (BHPians included) still compare and praise Tata for the leap they took from an Indica to a Harrier and I respect the company for their efforts, but it is important to not get carried away and be realistic. The fit and finish on a 23 Lac rupees car is not comparable to a 4 Lac rupees car? What a joke by Tata! Recently BHPian Kosfactor mentioned in a thread that the interiors of a Safari (2021) in his family has the fit and finish like a concept car, all this after they had been testing their so called 'flagship' for years.

Now some may also argue that my profile picture is a Harrier. So I'll make it clear that it was a random photo taken from the net to complete my Team-Bhp profile and start posting on the forum.
Few points I agree and one point I don't.

Harrier does not feel like a 23L car for sure. Esp. fit and finish, fineness and overall quality. Feels like they had a target price and the aggressively achieved that target.
If I read ownership reviews correctly the engines feels more noise in Harrier than Jeep and Hector which have the same set up.

Coming to my point of disagreement, it is safety. Harrier has not been tested yet and I remember one of the bhpian mentioning it got 2 or 3 star internally owing to intrusion in the footwell area. So unless they ram the Harrier against the wall I will not take the safety aspect on fave value
For that matter the new Nexon which had structural changes and sunroof included has not been tested yet either
aniyo is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 28th April 2021, 10:10   #907
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aniyo View Post
Coming to my point of disagreement, it is safety. Harrier has not been tested yet and I remember one of the bhpian mentioning it got 2 or 3 star internally owing to intrusion in the footwell area. So unless they ram the Harrier against the wall I will not take the safety aspect on fave value
For that matter the new Nexon which had structural changes and sunroof included has not been tested yet either
Yes, I agree with you as we don't really know why Tata didn't voluntarily send it's (then) flagship for GNCAP crash tests. What I was trying to imply was that Tata is simply banking on and taking advantage of the safety scores of it's overall lineup and is neglecting the core issues.

Reading all this just makes me tilt more towards my almost decided next buy i.e. the Tiguan Allspace. I know VW after sales isn't at Toyota level either but at least they are far better than Tata, both product and service wise. Kindly understand that I'm not comparing Harrier to Allspace.

Last edited by Lowflyer23 : 28th April 2021 at 10:15.
Lowflyer23 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th April 2021, 10:12   #908
BHPian

Quote:
Sorry for the late replay.

I have used Maruti, Hyundai, Honda cars before. My brother uses a Storme. He had told me very clearly that don't go with Tata Motors. The SA of Jeep and MG told me that Tata Motors cars are not worth spending more than Rs. 20 lakhs on. Another known person (who owns a Storme and Tata Zest) suggested buying a Creta and told me one should not spend such an amount of money on a Tata car, but, I believed that now, Tata had changed. However it seems that Tata has not, at least not for the product costing Rs. 20 lacs and above. It may be good for Tiago, Nexon or Altroz, But not for harrier or new Safari.
It's sad to hear of such experiences even after paying so much. I was also in a similar dilemma when deciding between the Tata Hexa and the Mahindra XUV 500 but the interior quality of the XUV 500 steered me towards the Hexa. My dad was firmly against it after owning 2 Indiacs (petrol and diesel whose engines developed catastrophic failures at 5000km at 20000km respectively) and was more inclined to the XUV 500. My 3 year journey with the Hexa hasn't been all smooth sailing but I still believe I made the right choice.

As for the premium experience you seem to be missing, is it the ride quality or some materials in the cabin that are putting you off? I have taken a TD of the BS4 Harrier and it was very pleasant in the few minutes I was with the car.
nathanjdias is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th April 2021, 10:30   #909
Senior - BHPian

@Nayan- For majority, stretching from Hector/Harrier to Compass is not possible, give how expensive Compass has become. It all boils down to Harrier and Hector, yes there are the Korean twins but they are not as big or spacious. While Harrier has its own share of problems, Hector has limited reach. Ask someone staying in tier 3 city or a small town, they will most likely consider a Harrier or XUV despite the shortcomings. While Hector has better interiors, Harrier has looks and road presence. Also do not Hector doesnot have Auto diesel and Harrier doesnot have Petrol motor.
Old 28th April 2021, 10:47   #910
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HammerHead View Post
And that's true for almost every car in that segment. Just try to search for XUV 500 or MG Hector issues on google
Will disagree here. For reference, I am a part of facebook owner's groups of MG Hector, Tata Harrier and XUV500.

The issues/niggles reported in Hector group are much lesser than the other two. Infact, I would even say the XUV500 niggles are less severe, and lesser in number than Harrier.
07CR is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 28th April 2021, 10:52   #911
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07CR View Post
The issues/niggles reported in Hector group are much lesser than the other two. Infact, I would even say the XUV500 niggles are less severe, and lesser in number than Harrier.
Issues with XUV500 is much lesser because its almost a 10 year old product with updates. Glad Mahindra was able to resolve niggles over a time period. There is a dedicated long thread in Team BHP on XUV 500 niggles and issues. Will be interesting to see how the new XUV500(or 700) pans out.
PrideRed is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 28th April 2021, 11:23   #912
BHPian

Quote:
I have purchased Tata’s so-called premium (or flagship or whatever) product, the Harrier XZ+ MT (DT). So, it makes me entitled to give my opinion about Tata cars, the dealers and TASS.

However it seems that Tata has not, at least not for the product costing Rs. 20 lacs and above. It may be good for Tiago, Nexon or Altroz, But not for harrier or new Safari.
Well, my friend recently purchased a Tiago, and the entire process was just annoying. Took him more than a month to get the car delivered (so many reasons), got no accessories (it's there on the bill though), and already has niggles.

What's more, I literally went to their workshop and asked those guys not to stick the dealer's branding on car's rear. That workshop guy looked straight in my eyes and stuck that horrible dealer's logo and said it's mandatory . Even now I feel sorry for any Tata car from "KeyMotorss".

OTOH, my recent experience with Raam Hyundai was quite opposite. The entire process was butter smooth, they never stuck a thing which I wouldn't approve, and everything was on-time.

I don't think the experience will be any different for Harrier (a Harrier got delivered on the same day we went) albeit it's a costlier one. I would never call it a premium or even pleasant experience.

Last edited by vb-saan : 28th April 2021 at 14:07. Reason: language
prajwalmr62 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th April 2021, 11:57   #913
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrideRed View Post
Issues with XUV500 is much lesser because its almost a 10 year old product with updates. Glad Mahindra was able to resolve niggles over a time period. There is a dedicated long thread in Team BHP on XUV 500 niggles and issues. Will be interesting to see how the new XUV500(or 700) pans out.
I agree on this. Mahindra's too tend to have niggling issues, albeit I have observed they are somewhat lesser and a bit less serious too.

However, both our Indian manufacturers should learn from MG about giving the customer a great experience after spending 20 big one's.
My BIL, owns a Tiago. He is satisfied with the product, but is fed up of small niggles cropping up every now and then. He will be in the market for a second car in the range of 20L rupees, and Harrier/Safari is simply not in consideration. He has seen the customers complaining frequently about the issues in their cars at the SVC's and is afraid to go through same ordeal.
07CR is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 28th April 2021, 12:04   #914
BHPian

Thanks for the detailed write-up of your experience Nayan. Really sorry to hear your experience and I hope the ownership experience gets better from now on.

I was looking for a car in 2009 and went to see an "Special Edition" Indica. This was supposed to be an premium offering within the Indica family. The fit and finish especially of the Interior of the display model was so bad that I walked-out of the showroom without spending anymore time. The plastic edge of the dashboard was so rough that I cut my fingers with the same. Its sad that after 12 years there are still poor quality parts and fitting in Tata offering :(
pk1972 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th April 2021, 12:12   #915
BHPian

Every time I think of switching over or recommending a domestic brand, some issue like this gets posted in our forum or comes to my notice offline. I feel that the after sales experience is to be top notch, since the sales is an onetime affair, where you pay the money and get the product. The knowledge, attitude and customer centric approach of service centers are to be constantly upgraded and that has to be driven from the top. After sales is a service sector and needs to be handled carefully with all due support from the backend technical team. Also domestic brands need to have some rebranding or niche branding exercise to those customers who want to have the feel of owning a luxury car of your portfolio.
gotoguru is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks