Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 13th August 2020, 18:50   #31
BHPian

Re: 2020 Tata Harrier Automatic : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrasannaDhana View Post

As a customer, I would rather spend 12 lakhs and buy the Nexon instead of spending twice and getting a marginally better SUV.

No offence to owners, it is just me. I am not an automatic guy nor do I care about sunroofs. A Nexon satisfies the need of majority of us looking at a 5 seater car. I do understand it is an affordability game, but my question is, is Harrier worth 200% as much as the Nexon?
Exactly my thoughts, I can so relate to your points. As I had mentioned earlier in my buying process, I was in love with Harrier and was keen on buying it. Either it was Harrier with loan or Nexon cash buy.
We did a lot of calculation and we just could not justify the cost difference. yes Harrier is better than Nexon but when I test drove it just did not feel as much better, may the initial batch of Harrier to blame.

We looked at Creta and still we could not justify the additional 4L premium over Nexon esp. when old Creta was based on the i20 platform.

Finally we decided on Nexon diesel, yes the NVH could have been better, may be a thicker glass or more damping would have helped but the car is good for the price we pay.

Nexon covered most of our requirements with a Fab music system, 5* rating on safety and decent space. Believe me its very comfortable on highway. I have done multiple 600+ Km trips in a day and have been very fresh after the drives. Infact in June I did bangalore-vizag (1080KM) in a single day. No problems at all. Car performed very well.

Bonus point:
FE: Long term FE (16 months, 18K km): 17.18 (inc city and highway with AC 99% of the time)
FE: Highway 20-22 KMPL
FE: City 14-16 KMPL

Last edited by aniyo : 13th August 2020 at 19:01.
aniyo is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 13th August 2020, 18:53   #32
BHPian

Much eagerly awaited review for me. Have to appreciate the team for the effort and happy to know that TATA could polish the product well. If this pandemic hadn't been here, I would have send out a confirmation message and advance to my sales rep today, after reading this positive review from TBHP. Wishing to have this beauty at the earliest in my garage.
Sreejith V is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th August 2020, 19:02   #33
BHPian

Those exposed sensor/wiring connections on the DEF tank is a poor design on a 20+ lakh INR SUV. TATA engineers should have done the routing of this in a better way.

This is also inviting rats/rodents to come a have a nibble at those heat-shrink wrapped wiring that can end up in error codes on the MID and malfunction of the AdBlue unit. One more area for owners to watch out for rat bites apart from the engine bay.

Also, there is a possibility for these to snap if one scrapes some boulders or goes on some extreme off-roading.

Maybe TATA did not expect our TBHP reviewers would go below car during the photo-shoot.

srinath34 is offline   (22) Thanks
Old 13th August 2020, 20:14   #34
BHPian

How are the high-speed handling and dynamics? This is the proper SUV, unlike Creta/Seltos, so it would be a big change for someone like me to upgrade from sedans.
Old 13th August 2020, 20:53   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shobhit.shri View Post
This is the proper SUV, unlike Creta/Seltos
This is not a proper SUV, it's a FWD unibody crossover, just like the Creta/Seltos. The driving dynamics will definitely be better than most BoF SUVs.
TaurusSHO is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 13th August 2020, 21:06   #36

2020 Harrier is really a great upgrade over the 2019. Me and my friend took a test drive of the same in March, and oh boy, it was fast. The shifts are superb and were never felt. Also, the huge panoramic roof does allow for lot of light.
Attached Thumbnails
2020 Tata Harrier Automatic : Official Review-20200316_171527_hdr.jpg  

dg2332 is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 13th August 2020, 21:17   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya View Post
Still, with a power-to-weight ratio of 98 BHP / ton, it does better than the old car’s 82 BHP / ton. The torque-to-weight ratio is lesser than the 209 Nm / ton of the outgoing version though. Compared to its rivals, the Harrier falls behind the Hector's 104 BHP / ton and the Compass’ 111 BHP / ton. Kia hasn't shared the Seltos' kerb weight, but back-of-the-envelope calculations put it in a similar region to the Harrier.
Kerb weight and power to weight ratio of all Seltos variants as below. For diesel AT, it's 84.5 BHP/ ton .

please ignore the prices mentioned
Attached Thumbnails
2020 Tata Harrier Automatic : Official Review-screenshot_20200813211825_whatsapp.jpg  

2020 Tata Harrier Automatic : Official Review-screenshot_20200813211224_whatsapp.jpg  

Last edited by Bibendum90949 : 13th August 2020 at 21:22.
Bibendum90949 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th August 2020, 22:26   #38
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Guys, as an enthusiast, I'll say that we shouldn't discriminate between classes of cars. I love all cars.

As a purist, I find this real SUV comment very amusing. Remember, a true SUV is one with all-wheel drive or 4x4.

The discussion can go on infinitely, so let's please quit such inconclusive comments.
GTO is offline   (30) Thanks
Old 13th August 2020, 22:44   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Prasanna, there is a saying "No one ever needs a car over 10 lakhs". Beyond that price point, it is all about want & desire, not need. My parents saw their entire lives till the age of 60 in Padminis & Ambassadors (equivalent of ~6 lakh rupee cars today).

Now, let's not take the thread off-topic please.
My parents were like your parents and then they sat inside a MG Hector with Panaromic Sunroof and they they got the point
vellatechie is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th August 2020, 23:29   #40
Distinguished - BHPian

Excellent review! Tata seems to have a winner on their hands! I honestly believe this is the best value SUV in the 20 lakh range. Once word gets out there about this new and improved Harrier, I can see how it will start eating into the overpriced Creta/Seltos top end variants.

One question to the reviewers - Does the Harrier auto have the same issue as the Harrier 2019 manual, with the left knee fouling with the curved Lower edge of the central console? This was a major irritant for me when I test drove the 209 Harrier. Especially when working the clutch.

Also, any observations on real world highway fuel economy -given the gearing seems to be tall (100 kph at 1700 rpm in 6th), it should be pretty efficient. I hope so, because otherwise, cruising range can become an issue as the car has just a 50 litre fuel tank, pretty small for a car of this size.

Last edited by 84.monsoon : 13th August 2020 at 23:30.
84.monsoon is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 14th August 2020, 01:43   #41
BHPian

Many a time, I have wasted time in random parking lots staring at the rare Harier that is parked beside, such beauty. If one is cognizant of how much he/she needs to pay to get the 2.0 Fiat multijet engine in this state of tune from another brand, they would begin to appreciate what the Harrier has on offer.

People comparing Harrier vs Nexon, objective difference may be little, but the presence and space on offer in the Harrier is next level. Heck it can compete with Fortuner in presence. Purely considering interior space/top speed/acceleration numbers etc, even a Baleno might compete with Nexon, but it would not be a fair comparison would it?

End of day, you pay around 4 lakh more?(on road Bangalore) for the Basic Harrier vs Mid Nexon. To me the 2L multijet and beautiful design seals the deal in favor of Harrier in such a comparison.

Finally Tata has a car that can replace the Safari in our dreams

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 14th August 2020 at 08:22. Reason: Many a times > many a time
Arjun Bharadwaj is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 14th August 2020, 07:07   #42
BHPian

I've been waiting for this review since a time. Harrier's design is one aspect of it that will surely age well. There's nothing like it on the road at that price bracket.

I absolutely love this car but am I willing to invest 23+ INR on road? The service experience that I've had with Tata previously is stopping me from doing so. Also 6 months/7500 kms seems to be a rather short service interval. People with high running might end up in the service centre once in 3 months just for regular service.

Quote:
The second new colour added to the palette is this equally deadly Sparkle Cocoa shade. Imagine this with black rims:
Mods, this shade looks like Telesto Grey and not Sparkle Cocoa
The Riddler is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th August 2020, 07:25   #43
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Riddler View Post
Mods, this shade looks like Telesto Grey and not Sparkle Cocoa
Only cars of the two new shades were brought to the media drive for obvious reasons.

This presentation slide might help:
2020 Tata Harrier Automatic : Official Review-img_20200313_192057.jpg
Aditya is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 14th August 2020, 07:49   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Only cars of the two new shades were brought to the media drive for obvious reasons.

This presentation slide might help:
Attachment 2042397
Thanks Aditya for clarifying. The Cocoa Sparkle shade that is on the TAMO website looks so different to the one brought for the media drives.
Attached Thumbnails
2020 Tata Harrier Automatic : Official Review-harrier_sparklecocoa.png  

Old 14th August 2020, 08:21   #45
Distinguished - BHPian

"Cocoa sparkle" suggests brownish shade right? Why am I not seeing anything resembling brown there?

Infact the dark metallic brown would look awesome on harrier, the same colour that the EcoSport, duster, ciaz, vento/polo and even their own hexa, last gen tigor and storme came with.

On another topic, I like the bold way with which tata chooses colours for their new cars. The bold bright shades of updated tiago and nexon are very catchy and attractive on road.

Last edited by PrasannaDhana : 14th August 2020 at 08:23.
PrasannaDhana is online now   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed