Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd August 2020, 21:27   #91
Senior - BHPian

Re: 2020 Tata Harrier Automatic : Official Review

Hello bhpians.

Wanted to share some news regarding the Harrier with you.

1. First let's talk about the elephant in the room I e. the safety rating of the Harrier.

Did some additional digging with the help of my sources and found that the real culprit for the Harrier not meeting the front crash test norms lies just behind the ABC pedals in the engine compartment. Oil filter for the 2.0 Multijet engine is located in that place. Now according to my sources during frontal impact this oil filter and some other associated parts intrude through the firewall and push the ABC pedals inwards. This in turn results in leg injury to the driver and thus the Harrier loses some crucial points which ultimately results in it being unable to get a 5 star rating.

Now this issue is exclusive to RHD SUVs because the Jeep Compass tested by Euro NCAP which got a 5 star result is an LHD model and according to my sources the Indian Compass which is RHD will also have the same above mentioned issue resulting in it also being a less than 5 star car. This is because in LHD configuration the location of the oil filter remains the same I.e. behind the firewall at the right portion where there are no pedals in LHD configuration to have any impact on the score.

A sincere request to fellow bhpians who do not agree with what I have said above to not bash me or Tata Motors because I cannot prove what I have mentioned even though I have utter faith in my sources and neither can Tata prove otherwise unless they send the Harrier to GNCAP. So let's hope that Tata quickly sorts out this issue and comes out with a 5 star rated Harrier since it is the only product in its lineup which has not been tested.

2. Regarding the Harrier petrol, according to my sources the firing ceremony of the Harrier's petrol engine took place a couple of months back and it will be at least a year till we see actual prototypes running on our roads. So till then please do not believe in any clickbait articles published by other media houses showing a diesel camouflaged Harrier and claiming it to be a petrol one.

3. In another exclusive scoop, Tata is expected to launch the connected car platform on the Harrier in the next couple of months. So Harrier will get these features before the Gravitas.

4. As I had mentioned earlier, the production of the XT+/XTA variants of the Harrier has already begun and we can expect a launch by next month.
ram87pune is offline   (80) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2020, 08:17   #92

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram87pune View Post

3. In another exclusive scoop, Tata is expected to launch the connected car platform on the Harrier in the next couple of months. So Harrier will get these features before the Gravitas.
Regarding #3, did you get any news about any more changes in the features list of Harrier? Like Ventilated Seats, Electronic Parking Brake etc?

On a Separate note, I dont have as much running per month that I go for Diesel option. Thats why I am really confused between Creta 1.4L TGDI and Harrier XZA+. I prefer Harrier over Creta because Harrier will be extremely comfortable on long journeys -
1. Driving Dynamics - It more fun to drive
2. Suspension setup - will soak up bumps and provide supple ride
3. More Space - this is bonus

MY requirement can also be fulfilled if I go for Harrier Petrol. However, I am not sure if approx 150-160PS Power and 250Nm torque is going to be enough for a 1700kg car. It definitely cant compete with the exisitng 2.0L oil burner.

Now the question is,
1. do I let go of the wait for Harrier Petrol and simply buy the Diesel?
(will there be any engine/ maintenance related problem if my running is just 400-500kms per month with Diesel? I will have highway journeys every couple of months, so I am expecting yearly, 10K drive)
2. I chose Creta 1.4L petrol?
(and settle with its light steering and boatlike ride quality?)
3. I wait for Harrier Petrol?
(which I am hoping is going to be priced around the same as Creta 1.4L)

Really confused now.
Heart says Harrier, Brain says Creta

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 23rd August 2020 at 08:45. Reason: Back to back posts merged. Thanks.
MotorHood is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2020, 11:42   #93
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotorHood View Post
Really confused now.
Heart says Harrier, Brain says Creta
Small turbo petrol in this size SUV will not be fun to drive. Existing examples, Hector, Compass petrol are dull when compared to their diesel counterparts. Would suggest to go either with diesel Harrier or Creta.

If budget is not a constraint, I personally would go by my heart.
S.MJet is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2020, 11:46   #94
BHPian

Thank you Aditya for an excellent review of a much improved product from the TATA stable. Last year I was eagerly waiting for the Harrier launch but steered clear of it due to the safety issues at high speed, which were highlighted in the Team BHP review. Instead, we purchased a Hexa XTA. Been very very happy with the ride quality and extras on offer regarding space and other perks of probably the most underrated SUV in the Indian market. Good to see though that TAMO is listening to feedback and is on a journey of improving products. Wish the same was true about their service quality and the day will come when the reviewers can remove the "hit and miss with TATA service" part form the cons section of the review.
ram1kv is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2020, 15:54   #95
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotorHood View Post
Regarding #3, did you get any news about any more changes in the features list of Harrier? Like Ventilated Seats, Electronic Parking Brake etc?

On a Separate note, I dont have as much running per month that I go for Diesel option. Thats why I am really confused between Creta 1.4L TGDI and Harrier XZA+. I prefer Harrier over Creta because Harrier will be extremely comfortable on long journeys -
1. Driving Dynamics - It more fun to drive
2. Suspension setup - will soak up bumps and provide supple ride
3. More Space - this is bonus
Well to answer your first question, the Harrier won't get any extra features for the time being like ventilated seats or a 360 degree camera. Also Electronic Parking Brake is exclusively reserved for the Gravitas.

And the kind of usage that you have mentioned doesn't warrant going for a diesel IMO. As far as petrol SUVs go, if you want to follow your heart then be prepared to wait for 2 plus years till you can buy a petrol Harrier. If you cannot wait that long then I dont think you can go wrong with either the Creta or the Seltos.

You can always wait for our official review of the Creta to allay any fears you may have about its boat like handling.

Last edited by Akshay1234 : 27th August 2020 at 23:14. Reason: Trimming quoted post
ram87pune is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2020, 16:25   #96

Quote:
And the kind of usage that you have mentioned doesn't warrant going for a diesel IMO.
Thanks Ram87pune. Are you recommending Petrol because its going to be cost effective? or Diesel engines with less running create troubles?
Old 24th August 2020, 04:45   #97
BHPian

Quote:

Did some additional digging with the help of my sources and found that the real culprit for the Harrier not meeting the front crash test norms lies just behind the ABC pedals in the engine compartment. Oil filter for the 2.0 Multijet engine is located in that place. Now according to my sources during frontal impact this oil filter and some other associated parts intrude through the firewall and push the ABC pedals inwards. This in turn results in leg injury to the driver
This is serious! Harrier is in my shortlist. The main reason to pay a hefty premium over slightly smaller cars like Duster was - safety. After knowing this issue, I wonder how anyone can book one until the issue is fixed.

As it is, there are hardly any options left in the 'bigger than Creta' size, below 25 lakh.

1. Hector: diesel should have the same problem. Petrol one will make you cry on every tank fill. Also a Chinese company, so want to avoid due to recent events on the border.
2. Hexa: discontinued
3. Innova: Too costly for the 7 airbags variant - 29 lakh on road (Pune).

No wonder Creta-Seltos sisters continue to rule.
pseudo_coder is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th August 2020, 19:28   #98

Quote:
Well to answer your first question, the Harrier won't get any extra features for the time being like ventilated seats or a 360 degree camera. Also Electronic Parking Brake is exclusively reserved for the Gravitas.
I am surprised that Tata is still playing the catching up game when it comes to bringing features to their vehicles. I understand from you that they are updating the infotainment with connected features and they should have used this opportunity to add 360 degree camera. Same with electronic parking and disc brakes, what is the logic of reserving it to gravitas when all other cars in this segment come with disc on all four wheels?
Old 24th August 2020, 19:52   #99
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkocherry View Post
I am surprised that Tata is still playing the catching up game when it comes to bringing features to their vehicles. I understand from you that they are updating the infotainment with connected features and they should have used this opportunity to add 360 degree camera. Same with electronic parking and disc brakes, what is the logic of reserving it to gravitas when all other cars in this segment come with disc on all four wheels?
Well, as far as I know, introducing the EPB will require much more changes in the mechanicals as compared to updating the infotainment system to introduce new features.
I am sure they will be introducing these with the face-lift. And I can't understand what's the big hoopla with a few missing features! In any segment, no competitor match each other on features A to Z. Some have something, the others have some other things, each competitor plays on different strengths.

Loading their vehicles with whole load of features has been the strategy of the Hyundai group from the beginning, making an excellent first impression on the customer blinding him/her with features that they can't think beyond those and that has definitely worked from them, no doubt. That's what they have done with the Seltos/Creta as well and definitely being the first movers into the segment, they have been able to concretise(is that a word?) their position.
Candy$Cars is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 25th August 2020, 09:50   #100

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candy$Cars View Post
Well, as far as I know, introducing the EPB will require much more changes in the mechanicals as compared to updating the infotainment system to introduce new features.
Honestly, I can live without it, but I don't think it should be a big change.

My impression is that the biggest huddle a motor company faces before making any change is the R&D, Testing and Inventory.

Harrier and Gravitas will share the platform, engine and electronics. If Gravitas is designed to incorporate EPB and Disc Brakes, making exact same changes to Harrier should not require more of R&D and Testing.

Correct me if I am wrong.
MotorHood is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th August 2020, 22:34   #101
Senior - BHPian

So, went to the market today and it was sheer co-incidence, that i got a parking spot next to a Range Rover Evoque that was in the exact same colour scheme as my Harrier XZA- White with black roof. Couldnt resist a snap!
Attached Thumbnails
2020 Tata Harrier Automatic : Official Review-whatsapp-image-20200825-2.46.57-pm.jpeg  

himanshugoswami is offline   (44) Thanks
Old 26th August 2020, 17:41   #102
BHPian

Faisal Khan reviews the 2020 Tata Harrier AT

GKR9900 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 28th August 2020, 15:43   #103
BHPian

Light upgrade for the Harrier

While the stock H7 Halogens are adequate in the city, they are not really confidence inspiring when facing oncoming traffic with blinding aux lights. Has anyone upgraded their lights in the Harrier yet?

I have ordered NightEye 35w LED bulbs and will get them installed during the first service. Hoping that will solve the problem!
ihrishi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th August 2020, 16:14   #104
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihrishi View Post
Light upgrade for the Harrier

While the stock H7 Halogens are adequate in the city, they are not really confidence inspiring when facing oncoming traffic with blinding aux lights. Has anyone upgraded their lights in the Harrier yet?

I have ordered NightEye 35w LED bulbs and will get them installed during the first service. Hoping that will solve the problem!
If the key issue is blinding aux lights from the opposite direction, LED bulbs or any other type of bulbs are unlikely to help.
beast_within is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th August 2020, 11:46   #105
BHPian

Harrier tests a real life crash:

https://www-carblogindia-com.cdn.amp...1AQFKAGwASA%3D

Damage to the car is very less, but don't know how the occupants coped.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks