Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th September 2020, 17:24   #136
BHPian

Re: 2020 Tata Harrier Automatic : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAS View Post

Please note that Leather is a by-product of meat industry and not the other way around. No animal is killed for the hide/skin (that too to make seats) but they are slaughtered only for the meat
For all premium cars, special animals are reared very carefully for the sheen, texture, finish and overall quality of their hides. Rolls Royce sources all its hide from Bavarian / Romanian areas which are too cold for mosquitos to live so that they don't leave any bite marks on skins, those areas should not have any barbed wires to leave any scratch marks on skins. Cow hides are not used as they are prone to pregnancy stretch marks. For all expensive leather items and furs, similar care is taken where hides or skins are of prime importance / value and meat is just a by product and of hardly any value.

What you have said may be true for average priced leathers.

However I don't wish to take this debate further.
akj53 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th September 2020, 17:25   #137
BHPian

I booked my Tata Harrier XZA+ and delivery is going to be within a week . The dealer is providing me with New India Assurance insurance which is around 71,000/- along with Zero Depreciation + Engine Cover + Towing . They told me this is cashless pan India in all authorised Tata service centres

Kindly please let me know if this deal is good.

Am buying my first car and a bit nervous on things going wrong
greyhound82 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th September 2020, 20:06   #138
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

mods, please remove if OT.

The whole brouhaha about leather and its cruelty, non-vegetarianism and its cruelty etc is profferred with the belief that humans are generally 'kind' to other forms of life in nature. We simply aren't. We all suffer from 'selective rationalism' , 'selective compassion' , 'selective kindness' - we will artificially inseminate poultry and cattle, kill/milk them in the most 'efficient' way (maximum killings in minimum time), consume the products that come out of it and then go kiss our dog & then become keyboard warriors on social media about how 'cruel' it is to neuter street dogs or to consume dog meat. That is because this 'selectivity' is working in our mind to distinguish between animals that are food and animals that are beauty/love. Does nature really have any such distinction ? No. We, our social evolution have created this 'selectivity' as a means of enhancing our life, because we need animals for both physiological (food) and for psychological (love/beauty) needs ; and this 'selective love' lives in us subconsciously - we are plain indifferent to all the rest of the animals that dont fit into either category.

I am not writing this to start a debate or argument in this particular car thread - just saying that 'compassion' for any particular animal has more to do with us, rather than the animal itself.
venkyhere is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 7th September 2020, 20:36   #139
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by venkyhere View Post
mods, please remove if OT.

We all suffer from 'selective rationalism' , 'selective compassion' , 'selective kindness' -
Nope. This is a wrong generalization. In fact, any generalization is fraught with the risk of over simplification and then its a slippery slope.

Also at the risk of continuing this OT debate.... In the history of mankind its always been a "few" who push change. We can call them enlightened, or social reformers, or whatever fancy jargon MBA schools teach us.

But the change agents have always been a few. They are ahead of the curve. The masses ("all") typically resist change and only accept something when its mainstream.

So if we wait for "all" to agree on something, chances are it will never happen.
digitalnirvana is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 7th September 2020, 21:09   #140
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greyhound82 View Post
I booked my Tata Harrier XZA+ and delivery is going to be within a week . The dealer is providing me with New India Assurance insurance which is around 71,000/- along with Zero Depreciation + Engine Cover + Towing . They told me this is cashless pan India in all authorised Tata service centres
Yes, insurance deal looks good. I got a quote of 66k for XZA.

Although this is the lowest we can get, I still feel there are fat margins here.

I had bought an Ecosport (petrol) 2 years ago. The Ex showroom was about 11 lakh. I had got it insured for about 23k. So my current cost of 66k is almost thrice, although the ex-showroom price isn't even double.
pseudo_coder is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th September 2020, 22:15   #141
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pseudo_coder View Post
Yes, insurance deal looks good. I got a quote of 66k for XZA.
Quote:
I The dealer is providing me with New India Assurance insurance which is around 71,000/- along with Zero Depreciation + Engine Cover + Towing . They told me this is cashless pan India in all authorised Tata service centres
Congrats on your purchase! I just checked on the two most popular insurance websites and both places show a quote of 55-60K from Royal Sundaram, New India, etc. Just take a screenshot and ask your dealer to match, they will.

I do this everytime with the Auto-bah-n crooks for my Skoda.
andafunda is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th September 2020, 16:30   #142
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by andafunda View Post
Congrats on your purchase! I just checked on the two most popular insurance websites and both places show a quote of 55-60K from Royal Sundaram, New India, etc. Just take a screenshot and ask your dealer to match, they will.

I do this everytime with the Auto-bah-n crooks for my Skoda.
Reading your post, I checked policy bazaar.

1. They have lower quote for Digit insurance than what Digit's own website gave
2. Important: Many insurers have a specific list of approved workshops for cashless. If you go somewhere else, then you pay out of pocket and get reimbursement.
3. Some allow cashless everywhere. e.g. Digit.

I called Digit customer care and asked them to give a lower quote. The person agreed, but didn't revert. I am keen on Digit because I have used it in the past, and my claim experience was fuss-free.

But since the dealer has agreed to match the quote, I will go with the dealer.
pseudo_coder is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th September 2020, 10:59   #143
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram87pune View Post

3. In another exclusive scoop, Tata is expected to launch the connected car platform on the Harrier in the next couple of months. So Harrier will get these features before the Gravitas.
Apologies for bugging you again, but wanted to check if you've heard anything more on this point. I have almost decided to book the Harrier but not sure if existing models will get the connected car feature.
Old 9th September 2020, 14:14   #144
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by andafunda View Post
Apologies for bugging you again, but wanted to check if you've heard anything more on this point. I have almost decided to book the Harrier but not sure if existing models will get the connected car feature.
I am also on the same page and keen to know the possibility of new additions on the Harrier. Went for a test drive yesterday, came back satisfied and the insurance they quote is 98k where as Royal Sundaram, my existing insurance provider will give it for 52K including 50% NCB. Hopefully the dealer will match the amount.
Old 10th September 2020, 10:25   #145
BHPian

Yesterday i took test drive of the Seltos Diesel AT and checked out Sonet and my impressions are as follows copared to the Harrier:

Seltos VS Harrier:
1. No doubt that Harrier is a superior mechanical package here but Seltos is certainly not bad, just that it doesnt feel as rugged as the Harrier.
2. On the other hand Seltos/Creta siblings score a lot in terms of the features, fuel efficiency, crash safety ratings and probably reliability over the Harrier.
3. I used to think that Seltos/Creta are probably not good for rear passengers but i found the legroom to be surprisingly enough even for the tall people. Ofcourse Harrier has even more but it is not like Koreans are cramped at all.

So, even Harrier's ardent supporter like myself was in two minds yesterday whether Harrier is really worth additional price in terms of overall ownership experience and cost over those korean siblings. Tata should really equip the Harrier with the important omitted features like rear disc brakes, ventilated seats, connected car features and most importantly the AWD variant to give it a image boost over the koreans if it is to sell at a Rs. 4-5 lakh premium over these korean cars. Otherwise i dont see buyers trend towards the koreans swaying away from the current numbers anytime soon. As on today, even i am more inclined towards buying front wheel drive Creta SX(O) diesel AT for 20.5 L OTR price over front wheel drive Harrier XZA+ for 24 L OTR price. But if Tata adds the missing list stated above, i am sure the Harrier is a no brainer.

Last edited by 46TheDoctor : 10th September 2020 at 10:28.
46TheDoctor is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th September 2020, 11:47   #146
BHPian

So it turns out there is something to the the whole crash test intrusion in cabin thing after all. A tata structural engineer who joined Hyundai group just last week confirmed a flaw with firewall integrity on the driver side due to minimum platform manipulation "As directives from above".

Furthermore they will try to use this weakness in an upcoming product.
Brishti is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 10th September 2020, 15:36   #147
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 46TheDoctor View Post
2. On the other hand Seltos/Creta siblings score a lot in terms of the features, fuel efficiency, crash safety ratings and probably reliability over the Harrier.
Indian Seltos is not yet crash tested. For emerging markets like India and China, they used a different platform ( low cost )

In my case it is just the reverse, cancelled the Seltos and booked Tata Harrier. I was looking for a compact SUV which is a highway cruiser for touring. We are a family of 2, who goes for long road trips every 3 months. Found Seltos
1. Refined

2. Good fit and finish (Their QC department might be good as they are handling 3 different engines and multiple variants in just in time manufacturing world)

3. Sophisticated features (I loved the lane watch cameras, front parking sensors and TPMS)

4. Fun to drive : may be am biased here as I didn't drove Harrier in highway that extensively as Seltos

Decided to go with Tata Harrier:

1.Rugged Build Quality: it is for those Indian rural roads and highways

2.Ride Quality: I felt it far better when compared to Seltos in uneven roads

3. Safety : As both are not crash tested , went for a car from TATA as their recent offerings came out with flying colors in crash test . I think it's going to be their trait for all models

4.Service centers, even in my small hometown in Kerala there is one for TATA

5.Bad experience with Kia Bhopal(mostly on commitments and pushing old car available in other state dealership which is 1000km away) . Tried to contact Kia customer care but with no avail . I just got exemplary treatment so far from Varenyam TATA, Bhopal. Delivery will be in next week.

Last edited by greyhound82 : 10th September 2020 at 15:54.
greyhound82 is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 11th September 2020, 00:46   #148
BHPian

Let me think aloud ! Harrier is for the matured driver in us and Seltos is for the teen driver in us. I feel the gizmos, bells and whistles the Koreans have offered suits younger customers. It's like Rock and Pop if we happen to compare the Harrier to a Seltos.

However I strongly feel Tata should not miss out on the drivetrain which is the most important part of the car, for example rear disk brakes. Yes ventilated seats would not hurt too.

Actually more connected the car is higher the chance of exposing our secret terrains. As the saying goes " stolen kisses are the sweetest " .
Old 11th September 2020, 09:35   #149
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brishti View Post
Furthermore they will try to use this weakness in an upcoming product.
Could you please clarify this? Do you mean Tata will rectify this in Gravitas?
Old 11th September 2020, 09:58   #150
BHPian

Quote:

Kindly please let me know if this deal is good.

Am buying my first car and a bit nervous on things going wrong
Congratulations! Also consider Return to Invoice / Key cover in case they have those options. Did you get any other benefits / discounts?
nexus is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks