Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th September 2020, 10:02   #151
Senior - BHPian

Re: 2020 Tata Harrier Automatic : Official Review

Which are the features that will appeal to the teen in us (which are missing in the Harrier)? The Harrier Music system is really good, and I'd take that out of the equation. Is there any other
Quote:
Originally Posted by mads2849 View Post
Let me think aloud ! Harrier is for the matured driver in us and Seltos is for the teen driver in us
Sebring is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th September 2020, 11:35   #152
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nexus View Post
Congratulations! Also consider Return to Invoice / Key cover in case they have those options. Did you get any other benefits / discounts?
Thanks so much Nexus

I will consider this and thanks for the suggestion

No discounts are running for XZA+
greyhound82 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 11th September 2020, 11:43   #153
AZT
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brishti View Post
So it turns out there is something to the the whole crash test intrusion in cabin thing after all. A tata structural engineer who joined Hyundai group just last week confirmed a flaw with firewall integrity on the driver side due to minimum platform manipulation "As directives from above".
Can you post any link about this. How serious is this flaw and have Tata responded to this allegation yet.

Last edited by AZT : 11th September 2020 at 12:03.
AZT is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th September 2020, 20:08   #154
BHPian

Took delivery of our sparkle coca Harrier today
The delivery was smooth and awesome . The SA was so surprised and happy when I presented a small gift and he too surprised me with a Bergman tyre inflator as gift .
Thanks so much for team bhp forum for empowering me through the process and making the SA happier

2020 Tata Harrier Automatic : Official Review-305f84db922c483586651bf107ef2000.jpeg
greyhound82 is online now   (32) Thanks
Old 12th September 2020, 22:15   #155
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greyhound82 View Post
Congrats on your new stead. Happy motoring. Can you please post a pic of the car? I just want to see how it looks like in daylight. Haven’t seen this color in flesh nor have seen any pictures of this color apart from the ones on the official website.
Garth is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th September 2020, 22:30   #156
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greyhound82 View Post

Congratulations. Fantastic purchase! I am also keen to see how the Cocoa color looks.

How has your early experience been with noise levels in cabin, infotainment system, quality of plastics on doors, etc.
andafunda is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th September 2020, 18:39   #157

Is it fair to compare between Tata Harrier and Innova Crysta? I am leaning towards buying the Harrier but my dad has been a fan of Innova for a long time. I am trying to convince him that the Crysta may not be worth the increase in price of almost 5 Lakhs. Also driving wise I have never like the Innova. Harrier will surely be a better drive I feel.

Reading about the lack of NCAP rating and above mentioned safety issue for driver seat is a worry but then Toyota has no cars with NCAP rating as far as I know.

Sorry if the comparisons just dont make sense
Old 16th September 2020, 18:11   #158
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by redevil View Post
Is it fair to compare between Tata Harrier and Innova Crysta?
Everything's fair in love and car

My current shortlist is even more weird: Harrier and Altroz.

Harrier was finalized, but father found out that Altroz allows easy ingres owing to 90 degree opening doors. So he is forcing me to go for Altroz. I think the real reason is that he wants to save my money
pseudo_coder is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th September 2020, 18:16   #159
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by redevil View Post
Is it fair to compare between Tata Harrier and Innova Crysta? I am leaning towards buying the Harrier but my dad has been a fan of Innov...

Sorry if the comparisons just dont make sense
The price difference between the Crysta and Harrier will allow you to buy one more car (may I suggest the XL6) - so you get captain seats in XL6 and the beast in the Harrier. You can replace the XL6 with Altroz, Vento, etc - any fun to drive car as well. Or use the saved money for fuel and other expenses. Or you can send me the money will buy my next car
torquecurve is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th September 2020, 18:41   #160
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pseudo_coder View Post
Everything's fair in love and car
My current shortlist is even more weird: Harrier and Altroz.
Take him for a test ride of the Harrier and Altroz back-to-back, I was in a similar situtation, this process helped me convince
AmitRavi07 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th September 2020, 22:18   #161
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pseudo_coder View Post
Could you please clarify this? Do you mean Tata will rectify this in Gravitas?
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZT View Post
Can you post any link about this. How serious is this flaw and have Tata responded to this allegation yet.
Sorry for the late reply there was a post earlier from someone in the industry who said the reason Harrier has not been tested by global ncap was because of cabin intrusion in driver side while TATA did internal testing.

The flaw is problematic because the intrusion pushes parts in and it exists because these bits were supposed to be in the passenger side but for India this was not redesigned "At least not for Harrier 1.0"
Old 16th September 2020, 22:33   #162
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brishti View Post
Sorry for the late reply there was a post earlier from someone in the industry who said the reason Harrier has not been tested by global ncap was because of cabin intrusion in driver side while TATA did internal testing.

The flaw is problematic because the intrusion pushes parts in and it exists because these bits were supposed to be in the passenger side but for India this was not redesigned "At least not for Harrier 1.0"
Yes there was a post from ram87 however you'd also posted after corroborating from a different source, isn't it? Given the seriousness of the topic we're looking for more details to substantiate it.
Old 16th September 2020, 22:49   #163
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalnirvana View Post
Yes there was a post from ram87 however you'd also posted after corroborating from a different source, isn't it? Given the seriousness of the topic we're looking for more details to substantiate it.
Regrettably there are no internal test videos available but the bright side is that this was true for first iteration of the Harrier.
Old 16th September 2020, 23:34   #164
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalnirvana View Post
I think he is pointing to ram87's posts. He(Ram87) has made many posts regarding the cabin intrusion thing in Harrier on many occassions and also that he trusts his source. On his one of the recent posts, he also mentioned that this issue is with all cars in India with MJD 2.0 engines that is Harrier, Compass, Hector and maybe the upcoming Gloster too ( whose engine is also based on the MJD 2.0). I totally respect his information and am glad that he is doing us a great service by getting insider info out.

My take on this is that GNCAP's testing program 'safer cars for India' is concerned with more mass market cars which most of India's population has access to and that is why you see that all cars tested by them so far have been entry level hatches, premium hatches and sub-4m CSUVs except the Duster IIRC.
I don't know whether GNCAP itself chooses the cars it wants to test or can manufacturers themselves send cars proactively but TATA may not have felt the need to get the Harrier tested because:

1. None of the competition is tested right from the C segment sedans (City, Verna etc.) to the mid size SUVs (creta seltos etc.) and the cars from its segment (Compass, Hector or the Innova) are tested in their Indian avatars
2. It has constantly out performed the competition with regards to safety and build quality right from the entry level Tiago and so it is trustable that its most premium offering will fare well.
3. Tata already has in-house testing facility and going by their safety record, I believe that it is a good & Competent facility which has dished out 5 star cars based even on the old X1 platform( Nexon). They must have tested the Harrier in this facility too.

Guys, I just feel sad with so much Tata bashing in the forum and especially Harrier bashing in this thread or any thread for that matter. Look at the recent thread something on the lines of 'over-hyped cars that flopped' where members have very conveniently added Harrier to the the list even though it is doing respectable numbers as a 22-25L rupee big size car. A lot of members have either never experience the Harrier or are just going by the so many reported niggles.
Firstly, any problem with a Tata product just goes blown way out of proportion and because the public has this mindset that if it is a Tata car it must be full of niggles, even the smallest of issues (which would have been overlooked in a maruti or hyundai) gets classified as a niggle. Sure it was a hurried launch but by July-september'19, most of the issues were taken care of. Infact, my BS4 Harrier Feb'20 manufactured has been totally niggle free so far.

Secondly, people will very conveniently overlook the glaring life-threatening issues with India's second largest manufacturer, it's poor performance at crash ratings and the habit of using low cost platforms to dish out cars for India with same names as their international models or the questionable engineering prowess of another neighbour Asian manufacturer but when it comes to Tata they want complete experience to be king-like, not that I don't want It to be but the world isn't a utopia.

Thirdly, the poor sales of the BS4 Harrier is also due to the poor variant distribution and the shit TD cars that dealers had. All the TD cars were from the initial lot and had extremely terrible NVH, it was so bad that when we first took a TD in Nov'19 we straight away dismissed the Harrier. It was only after fellow members reported of improved NVH that we took a TD of a new Harrier(with the customer's permission) and booked it on the spot. I cannot even imagine how many people must have lost interest because of those crap initial lot TD vehicles.

Fourth, Tata's showroom experience does need a lot work.

Fifth, it is a big vehicle and most of the customers in this segment are upgrading from hatches and sedans who can get intimated initially or may have space problems.

Sixth, thanks to all the uninformed people looking down on an indigenous brand and deterring their friends relatives from getting a indigenous brand. Also, previous sour experiences add the flavour this decoction.

Seventh, people's want for all those fancy features which attract them in the showroom but which they may never use after getting the vehicle. Also Harrier is quite feature packed with innovatively designed interiors which people fail to notice in their brief interaction in the showroom. Thing like these and ride quality, abuse friendliness kind of things are experienced over the course of ownership which people fail to consider when bombarded with a load of features and fancy looks and a short test-drive.

Even after the combination of all these factors going against the Harrier, I think it is doing well and has recovered from being a borderline flop(which was again thanks to all these factors).

The Tata bashing on this forum is so bad that any thread title that has the word 'Tata' or 'Harrier' on it is a big red flag for me and I open it with much hesitance. Sorry for the big rant.
Candy$Cars is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 17th September 2020, 09:50   #165
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candy$Cars View Post
The Tata bashing on this forum is so bad that any thread title that has the word 'Tata' or 'Harrier' on it is a big red flag for me and I open it with much hesitance. Sorry for the big rant.
every car (especially if a totally new car model) will have its share of niggles and issues, only the degree and number of the issues will vary. There is even a TBHP thread about a Merdeces GLE needing "engine replacement". However, the problems that people are discovering with tata are 'fundamental engineering issues' and not 'complex electronics/robotics failure'. For example, right from safari/ARIA days people have been complaining about AC condensation leaking into cabin and flooding the passenger footwell. Guess what, even the harrier v2.0 has this issue - you must be already be aware of a TBHP thread where one of our members faced this issue on the very next day of his car purchase. It's too basic an issue to escape the QC checking process, which is what prompts people to ask the Q - "are they serious about their product, because from where I am sitting, they have been doing engineering since donkeys number of years, and the kind of issues that are popping up are like the ones which would pop up if some friends from engg college setup a car making facility in their garage"
venkyhere is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks