Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd April 2021, 21:47   #886
BHPian

Re: 2020 Tata Harrier Automatic : Official Review

Quoting myself from another thread. This was our cost for the BS4's 1st Annual Service without WA/WB.

Quote:
Originally Posted by janakiram_m View Post
Total cost Rs. 7,911/-

Items Billed:
  1. Engine Oil - Rs.3,335/-
  2. Oil Filter - Rs. 867/-
  3. Fuel Filter - Rs. 2,962/-
  4. Air Filter - Rs. 537/-
  5. Windshield Fluid - Rs. 85/-
  6. Sanitization Charges - Rs. 125/-
janakiram_m is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 25th April 2021, 19:20   #887
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrasannaDhana View Post
You think someone who is ready to shell 22-24 lakhs on harrier can't spend a few more lakhs for getting a car that they like more (compass) than the harrier? Unlikely.

We are sorry that your brand new car had to undergo such minor issues and bodywork so early in your ownership. For what it is, Harrier definitely is a good product.

You yourselves have clocked 150 km a day for 30 days without any issues. That's what matters and the ICE hiccups aren't major, and a software update can fix it instantly.

What you have experienced is a sub-par dealership experience, which definitely cannot be generalized to Tata dealers all over the country. Every manufacturer has dealers that are shady.

I would call it bad luck in your case. But hey, don't resent your purchase. Harrier definitely is a good car to be in. Comparing MG Hector, I have seen atleast a few Hectors being towed by donkeys in front of the dealership. There is no perfect car nor perfect after sales service

Sorry for the late replay.

I have purchased Tata’s so-called premium (or flagship or whatever) product, the Harrier XZ+ MT (DT). So, it makes me entitled to give my opinion about Tata cars, the dealers and TASS. My judgements are not based on hearsay and internet comments. Others (those who own and those who don’t own Tata products) can disagree with me. Also, those who want to buy Tata products, can do their own fact finding and take decisions rather than an opinion by me alone or someone else. My suggestions are based on my own experience.

@PrasannaDhana. Let’s discuss the price of Harrier Vs Compass. I reside in Maharashtra, so my price calculations are after considering the taxes in Maharashtra.

I purchased a Harrier XZ+ Manual Transmission (MY February 2021). I paid a total of Rs. 22,63,000 (including ex-showroom, TCS, RTO tax, zero dep insurance, HSRP, accessories - mudflaps & mats and Fastag charges). The Jeep Compass 2021 variant, which is comparable to Harrier XZ+ MT, is the Limited Diesel MT. Its OTR cost in Maharashtra is approximately Rs. 27,50,000 (this was the price Jeep SA offered me). So the difference is about 5 lakhs that is almost 22% of the OTR cost of Harrier. Now do you really think that it is only a "few more lakhs"? I believe everyone will agree that the overall maintenance cost (routine + repair) of Jeep Compass is higher than Tata Harrier. To this, add the limited number of service centers available for the Jeep Compass. All this for a car, which provides significantly less space than Harrier. So, I don't agree that a person who is willing to shell out 22 to 24 lakhs for a Harrier, will spend a few lakhs more to get a Compass. The Compass belongs to a higher segment. It provides better interior quality, better features, better driving dynamics, better build quality and lesser space at 22% higher price than the Harrier. I feel, both can’t be compared. This is my personal opinion, others may disagree.

Now about the Harrier. Is Harrier a good product? Yes. It is a good product. I have clocked more than 5,300 km till now. It includes city drives, highway drives and long trips (covering 1,000 km in a day). There is absolutely no mechanical problem. But, all this is applicable for other 5-seater cars like the Nexon, Ecosport, Creta & Seltos. They are also good products. Even owners of these cars are not supposed to have any problems. Then what is the difference between these cars and Harrier? Then why one should pay extra for Harrier? The difference is, Harrier belongs to a higher segment as compared to the above-mentioned cars. It offers more space, better engine capacity and better road presence. It is also expected to offer better interiors and features. It should offer a premium ownership experience (by dealers as well as service centers) as compared to the above-mentioned cars.

Then with whom can we compare the ownership experience of a Harrier? I feel, the only worthy comparison of the Harrier is with the Hector. Now the question is, does the Harrier offer a premium feel over cars from a lower segment? Or at least at par with the Hector? The answer is a big no. The rough edges and poor fit and finish is seen in every corner, whether interior or exterior. You name it and I will show it. Initially, I thought of taking pics and posting them to validate my statement, but then I stopped taking the pics, since there are “n” number of such poorly finished edges. How many pics should I take? Is it the poorly aligned tail gate, rear bumper, front bumper, the rubber lining windows and glasses, the fabric which covers the frame of sunroof, the small rubber caps (which cover the holes on the inner door panel) coming out, the ICE niggles which have not been solved even after 2.5 years, the Bluetooth mic making rattling noise while driving the car, the driver door plastic making rattling noise as per its own whims, the asymmetrical alignment of dashboard in the area where the controls of ORVM are located, the ergonomics of the driver seat in MT model (one can refer the Team-BHP official review for this), the rubbing of the left knee, the very small size of the dead paddle in the MT model, the poor quality of reversing camera, the rough edges of the interior plastics wherever two or more plastic panels meet each other or the poor alignment of the fuel lid? All the metal parts and screws bear some prominent colour markings which are easily visible from outside (this may be present in other vehicles of this segment, but I am not sure). Compare all this with the Hector (I feel Hector is the only comparable car to the Harrier at present, considering price, features, size and specifications). Forget the Hector, please compare this with a car from lower segment like the Creta, Seltos, etc. Even the Maruti Wagon R at our home has better fit & finish. The only word I can use for this is “crude”. Nowhere close to the premium experience expected at this price point that is being offered by the Hector and vehicles from lower segments. The steering response, although better than the 2019 model, is still scary at high speed (>80 km/h on curves) and it is dangerous. The car of this size needs a front camera, or at least front sensors, rather than a fancy handbrake. Although available as an accessory, we need to trust the dealer for fitting such accessories and there are more chances that the dealer will screw it up and we will end up repenting.

Now coming to the dealerships and service centers of Tata Motors. I simply refuse to accept that Tata should not be held responsible for the dealers' behaviour. The dealers are appointed by Tata. They are limited in numbers in a particular area and customers have to buy Tata products from them only. Tata cars are not some Parle G biscuit packs which one can purchase from any shop at his will. You have to buy car from dealers only and get them serviced only from the authorized service station. Now it is entirely your luck what kind of treatment you will get from a Tata dealer. If we consider the number of cars sold by Tata, the dealership numbers and the complaints against them, then one can only imagine the number of complaints we will come across against Maruti / Hyundai dealers & service stations. Forget about Maruti and Hyundai, please compare them with the numbers of Hectors sold till now and the number of complaints against MG dealers/service stations, and the extent to which MG goes to rectify the problems faces by customer.

In my case, I purchased car from Keshva Motors, Mulund, Mumbai. One of the BHPians has mentioned his experience with this showroom. According to him, there was not even enough parking place to park his car. That is absolutely true. The dealer is giving deliveries from a shop the size of a big kirana store. There is no place to park visitors' cars, forget about space to deliver new cars. On the day of delivery of my car, his driver wanted to fit two new cars (my Harrier and one Nexon) side by side in the small place in front of the shop. After parking, he opened door of harrier without checking outside and banged it on a steel ramp kept outside. All this he did even after a warning by my father that this can happen and can damage the door. Was the dent small? Is the Harrier's door so delicate that just by touch of the ramp and it will develop deep dent with loss of paint? But it was there. He was not even bothered to inform anyone. He just left from there. When my father later went there to check if any damage occurred due to the ramp, we came to know. I asked the SA and then the driver confessed. Is this the so called "professionalism" shown while selling car costing 23 lakhs? Then their sales manager appeared and told me that this is a "chotisi baat" and it will be repaired free of charge! This is real deal-breaker. Being the senior-most person in-charge of the showroom, doesn't he understand that it was a dent that needed repair and repainting of the whole door? Even I knew it. But he was not willing to accept. He kept on telling me that it is "chotisi baat". He sent the car to the workshop and started work on it without my consent. I had to literally fight with him to let me enter the workshop and see the work going on. After finishing the work, even I could see that paint job was not matching. I called their body shop in-charge and just told him to touch and feel the difference between that door and other door. Then he accepted with shyness and instructed the person to do it again.

Now it is the same dealer who indirectly suggested that if I don’t pay all the amount by next day, my car will be allotted to another person. I had to take one day's leave and finish all loan processes on an emergency basis, so that I could pay the full amount immediately the next day. They did not give me an invoice even after payment of the full amount. I received the invoice 10 days after taking delivery and that too after making multiple phone calls. If the dealer is not even willing to compromise a little regarding money, then why should I accept a car with a repainted door for no mistake of mine. Forget about compensating, their attitude was very casual – chotisi baat, free mein ho jayega, kuch nahi dikhata hai, pata bhi nahi chlega. Will anyone pay the full price of the car after knowing that the car has had such damage? Why did I do a PDI for 1 hour before full payment if this is what was their attitude? It is common sense that it is very a small place to give deliveries and a similar incidence must have happened before and will happen again. But does Tata care? No. Otherwise, they would have compelled the dealer to shift to a better premises.

I paid the booking amount (Rs. 40,000) to the dealer and exchanged my old car for Rs. 4,40,000. Now this dealer kept the money of my old car with him saying that it will be added in booking amount. He gave me the booking receipt of Rs. 4,80,000 as well. No issues. Since my loan was sanctioned for 85% of the OTR price (Rs. 20,00,000 was the amount sanctioned), the dealer promised me that he would refund the excess amount (Rs. 3 lakhs) within 1 week of complete payment for the Harrier. I paid the full amount on 26th Feb and took delivery on 4th March. Now it took a whole one month and daily phone calls to the dealer to get excess amount (Rs. 3 lakhs) back from the dealer. Each time the answer was, you will get refund in the next 2 days, next week etc. I was tired of their excuses. Is this the way one does business?

Since my hometown is different, I requested them to do CRTM and give the documents to me and I would get the car registered with my hometown RTO at my expense. But the dealer not willing. Why? Because he wanted to earn the commission which is paid to the RTO agent to get the car registered with the local RTO. It took him 12 full days and numerous phone calls from me just to apply online for the registration and pay the RTO tax. The car was standing in front of my home unused. Why? Because the dealer had not paid the RTO charges. And why had he not paid? Because he had outsourced it to another RTO agent, who wanted to work at her own pace. For her, the customer was non-existent, just like a sarkari company. She would not talk on the phone, she would not commit anything, but she will not hand over the documents either, because she wanted her commission.

For first service, I contacted the Tata Motors service station in my hometown. It was newly opened. The response by the service center was excellent. They followed up with me regularly. I will rate them equal or better compared to Maruti and Honda service stations (as per my experience). The service manager was very cooperative and explained everything to me. However they have a very steep and curved ramp, up which, the vehicle needs to be driven carefully to reach the service area. When I saw it for the first time, I was sure that sooner or later someone’s vehicle (especially bigger vehicles like Harrier) will definitely get damaged on this ramp. Service was over, however the USB issue was not resolved and I had to visit again the next day for a software update. This time, I insisted that they let me also into the service area. But, I was not allowed. Then the vehicle was handed over after a software update (USB has not given any hiccups thereafter). However, when I went to fill fuel on the same day, the petrol pump attendant asked me about the scratches on the bumper. I immediately knew these scratches were due the edges of the ramp. I called up and informed the person who took the vehicle on the ramp. He immediately accepted that the vehicle was damaged while driving on the ramp and requested me to come to the workshop. It would be rectified free of charge. I was so disappointed - why couldn’t he inform me about the damage at the time of delivery? What was he thinking? Will a customer not come to know or he will be able to escape the blame if a customer comes to know later? Doesn’t such behavior spoil the reputation of the TASS? Here, I will not disclose the name of the service center and I don’t blame them. They were very attentive and whatever damage happened, it was by mistake and not by neglect. But again, why should I bear the damages?

Why can't there be minimum professionalism practiced by Tata dealers and service stations? They could have easily delegated the responsibility of taking the vehicle on the ramp to an experienced driver, knowing that it can damage customers' vehicles. I am not willing to visit the service station, for rectification of niggles and rattling sounds (mentioned above). When my car is driven in 6th gear, I can feel a jerk in the gear knob whenever I press or release the accelerator pedal. Even though I was requested to visit the service center for those scratches, I don’t have the courage to visit them, because then, I may have to accept the vehicle with another form of damage caused by TASS. And I will not give them permission to open the door panels etc to stop the rattling or work upon the gear knob problem. I will not, unless and until these issues become a big nuisance and create a problem while driving. I believe, this is what Tata car owner should learn. Live with all sort of niggles, ICE problems and rattling or scratches, but don’t think of rectifying them as long as your car is driving well, otherwise you will end up getting another new problem in your vehicle, purely because of your visit to the dealer / TASS. My family has owned cars from Honda, Hyundai and Maruti, but we never had such experiences. I don’t think it is bad luck in my case. It’s just that one should have good luck to have a pleasant experience with Tata Motors, its dealers and TASS.

Am I repenting my purchase? Yes I am, because I could afford a Jeep Compass S trim Diesel MT @ 29.5 lacs OTR. But, I thought that the Compass was overpriced. But now, I understand where that extra money goes in the Jeep Compass. It is the premium feel whenever we are with the vehicle (in every aspect like looks, interior quality, exterior quality, ergonomics, hardware used, driving dynamics etc) & overall experience that we purchase from the company and not just the car which takes us from point A to point B.

I have used Maruti, Hyundai, Honda cars before. My brother uses a Storme. He had told me very clearly that don't go with Tata Motors. The SA of Jeep and MG told me that Tata Motors cars are not worth spending more than Rs. 20 lakhs on. Another known person (who owns a Storme and Tata Zest) suggested buying a Creta and told me one should not spend such an amount of money on a Tata car, but, I believed that now, Tata had changed. However it seems that Tata has not, at least not for the product costing Rs. 20 lacs and above. It may be good for Tiago, Nexon or Altroz, But not for harrier or new Safari. After all these bitter experiences, I even thought of going to cars24 and putting the Harrier on sale to see if I can get enough money (for example, 1 lakh less than what I paid), but then I restrained myself thinking that it’s just waste of money under emotional thoughts.

I didn't purchase the MG Hector. I never liked its looks. It’s subjective. If given chance again, I will still not purchase the Hector. I will definitely go for a Compass (provided I can afford it at that moment) or Creta / Seltos (if I can’t afford compass). But this is my personal opinion. Others may differ in their choices.

About suggesting to others after purchasing a Tata car - I will always recommend against buying a Tata Car, especially a costly one (like more than Rs. 15 lakhs). I sincerely pray that as an Indian company, Tata should succeed and become an aspirational brand. But, that time has not arrived yet. Let them improve their QC, dealers and TASS quality, then one might consider. If a new company MG can achieve it in such a short time in India, then it should not be very difficult for Tata. But, I doubt that Tata will be able to do it as long as they recruit people on someone’s recommendations and accept poor quality from vendors and dealers / TASS because they are known to higher-ups. If anyone is ok with the crude ownership experience, substandard quality of build, sarkari attitude of the company as well as its dealers and TASS, then they can have a Tata car (Harrier) with specifications similar to higher segment cars (Compass), but at a lower segment price. The moment Tata Motors, its dealers and TASS will be equally professional as Maruti, Hyundai or Honda, Tata won’t need to price its products lower than competitors. That Tata needs to keep prices low to sell their cars is proof of them being uncompetitive.

What about complaining to Tata Motors? I have got 2 calls till now regarding feedback for my purchase from Keshva motors . Both times I have narrated my experience. Both times they promised that I would get a call from Tata Motors. But, as anyone can guess, nothing happened. If anyone is suggesting that I should create noise on social media platforms, then I believe they know what is the difference between ownership of Tata Motors' cars and other cars - one has to do such things to get noticed by Tata.

@nikhilthegunner. If your are aware, only automatic Harrier is available for test drive at Tata showrooms (at least 3 showrooms I visited). One can’t imagine the ergonomics of the MT car compared to the automatic car. Also this issue has been well documented in the official review as well as in the thread. This is only one negative issue about the Harrier. It is and was never a deal-breaker at least for me. But it adds to the list problems. Other than the Harrier, I considered only Hector & 2021 Compass. So, regarding the premium feel, I think the other two are better than the Harrier. But I didn’t like the Hector and as I said, for me Compass is a higher segment car. My interpretation of premium feel is not only the plastic quality, it is the overall experience as I have clarified above. Regarding taking care of the car, I meant, we take lot of precautions while using our new cars like searching proper parking space, avoiding crowded places, parking in a shadow whenever possible, etc. All this to avoid scratches and other damages to the car. Why should a Tata car owner do it As such a casual, sarkari attitude of the TASS is damaging the car when we hand over to them? What is the point in taking care of a car if the dealer/TASS don’t care enough and damages the car?

Thanks for being patient enough to read such a long post.

Last edited by Rehaan : 9th May 2021 at 20:11. Reason: Formatting, language, typos, etc. :)
Nayan is offline   (379) Thanks
Old 25th April 2021, 20:22   #888

@Nayan thanks for sharing your experience, it is sad indeed.

TASS seems like a real hit or miss.

I was looking at Harrier as my next car, but I am now considering XUV500. I don't want to consider Hector and a decent Compass variant is out of budget. I am not really looking for lot of features that are expected with XUV700.

@members: Is XUV500 W9 AT still a good option?
girishss is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 26th April 2021, 00:23   #889
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nayan View Post
Now coming to the dealerships and service centres of TaMo. I simply refuse to accept that TaMo should not be held responsible for their dealer’s behaviour. The dealers are appointed by TaMO. They are limited in numbers in a particular area and customers have to buy TaMo product from the dealer only. TaMo car is not some Parle G biscuit pack which one can purchase from any shop at his will. You have to buy car from dealer only and get it serviced only from the authorized service station. Now it is entirely your luck what kind of treatment you will get from TaMo dealer.
Thanks for sharing. When I was reading your experience, I felt like I have read or heard it before so many times. Sadly it's not a one-off case and happens so often with many customers.

Quote:
I have used Maruti, Hyundai, Honda cars before. My brother uses Storme. He had told me very clearly that don't go with TaMo. The SA of Jeep and MG told me that TaMo is not worth spending more than 20 lakhs. Another known person (who owns Storme and Tata Zest) suggested to buy creta and told me one should not spend such amount of money on TaMO car. But I believed that now Tata has changed. However it seems that Tata has not, at least not for the product costing 20 lacs and above. It may be good for tigao, nexon or altroz. But not for harrier or new safari. After all this bitter experiences, I even thought to go to cars24 and put harrier for sale to see if I can get enough price (for example, 1 lakh less than what I paid), but then I restrained myself thinking that it’s just waste of money under emotional thoughts.
I wish you had listened to the feedback from others. I had also ignored negative feedback from Ford owners back in 2012 when I bought Fiesta and I regretted it after 5 years though I had some great experience with the car. I was exactly told the same thing by people who owned TATA when I was seriously considering between Harrier and Innova Crysta. My friend who owns Harrier told me point blank 'it's not worth spending 20 or more on a TATA vehicle'. I had to believe the crowd and drop plans of Harrier. Reading consumer experience online didn't help either.

Regarding selling the vehicle, I recommend not selling it so early from a depreciation point of view. Rest of the factors like peace of mind is up to you but as long as you don't face technical issues then definitely keep the vehicle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by girishss View Post
@Nayan thanks for sharing your experience, it is sad indeed.

TASS seems like a real hit or miss.

I was looking at Harrier as my next car, but I am now considering XUV500. I don't want to consider Hector and a decent Compass variant is out of budget. I am not really looking for lot of features that are expected with XUV700.

@members: Is XUV500 W9 AT still a good option?
In my opinion, Mahindra is no better. Read some Mahindra experiences in Technical stuff thread. Honestly TATA had fewer serious issues than Mahindra but service centre competency is equally bad. Just pray you don't face any issues otherwise it will be long battle to get it fixed. Regarding XUV500 AT, my uncle sold his brand new car under a year as he faced gearbox issues and the service centre could never fix it. And again doesn't mean every AT is like that. My uncle was one of the unlucky ones. If you are going ahead with XUV500, try to wait for facelift.
Technic90 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 26th April 2021, 08:36   #890
BHPian

Quote:
Sorry for the late replay.

I have purchased Tata’s so-called premium (or flagship or whatever) product, the Harrier XZ+ MT (DT). So, it makes me entitled to give my opinion about Tata cars, the dealers and TASS. My judgements are not based on hearsay and internet comments. Others (those who own and those who don’t own Tata products) can disagree with me. Also, those who want to buy Tata products, can do their own fact finding and take decisions rather than an opinion by me alone or someone else. My suggestions are based on my own experience.
Hi Nayan,
Really feel sorry for your agony. Can completely understand your situation. I own a Nexon and I too will not like to be treated the way they have done with Harrier.
Surprisingly I have had decent experience with Tata over the last 2 years barring a few issues like soiled interior panel etc which I blasted them but I knew nothing is coming of it. Possibly I have kept my expectation quite low with TATA.

I have to admit i have seen far too many issues and unhappy customers with Harrier than with Nexon. Harrier is rushed no 2 ways about it. Feels like TATA has put way more focus on Nexon than their flagship product.
1. I don't have any major issues with ICE, just that it is tad slow. The music system works just fine with good audio quality

2. The steering is a joy to use so is the engine performance.

3. I have one nasty rattle from 2 month of car purchase near the tail gate/ c-pillar which none of the SC have managed to solve. Since it is On and Off I have made peace with it.

One thing I have understood, it is far easier to engineer a good product than to give a good experience. It all boils down to mentality. It is like, this is good for me so should be good for customer as well.
Premium experience comes from mindset and culture both are lacking big time with TATA no doubt. Nexon is the max I will spend on TATA car. I was quite close to buy Harrier myself, wife rejected the idea, though for different reason but worked well for us.

I again have to say once the experience is ruined you just don't see the car same way.
Gone are the days when reliability of a car was focus, almost all of the cars are fairly reliable for 5-6 years Tata should and must invest in customer experience else they will lose this time too.
aniyo is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 26th April 2021, 17:32   #891
BHPian

Quote:
I purchased a Harrier XZ+ Manual Transmission (MY February 2021). I paid a total of Rs. 22,63,000 (including ex-showroom, TCS, RTO tax, zero dep insurance, HSRP, accessories - mudflaps & mats and Fastag charges). The Jeep Compass 2021 variant, which is comparable to Harrier XZ+ MT, is the Limited Diesel MT. Its OTR cost in Maharashtra is approximately Rs. 27,50,000 (this was the price Jeep SA offered me). So the difference is about 5 lakhs that is almost 22% of the OTR cost of Harrier.
A diesel automatic is what I am looking for. The lowest diesel automatic variant in the compass is 33.72 lacs (on-road, Kochi - sourced from carwale.com). This is out of my budget, and by a big margin. Agree that not everyone can extend their budget to swallow the Compass.

Quote:
I will definitely go for a Compass (provided I can afford it at that moment) or Creta / Seltos (if I can’t afford compass).
Took a test drive of Seltos Diesel AT. I found it to be just adequately powered, which is passable. But the suspension is a bit too firm for my liking. Tuned almost like a European car - on our roads, you feel the bad road surfaces. Also, I can't digest the looks of the new Creta - no offense to owners, but I tried my level best.

Speaking of dealership experiences, I got a test drive of Harrier in 1 week of giving them a ring. It took almost 3 weeks or so for the Seltos and lifelong (literally) for Creta. I called up multiple dealerships of Hyundai for a test drive car and no one even gave a call back! I tried for a month and gave up! One of them even told me that they sold their TD car and if I insist, I can see a delivery vehicle! That too I need to wait and be at the showroom at the right time (before the vehicle is delivered to the customer).

Any other alternatives I should consider @Nayan?
NotanF1driver is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 26th April 2021, 18:26   #892
BHPian

Found this video on YouTube, the 170ps Harrier in this video got silver skid plates and garnishes similar to BS4 versions. Did Tata Motors made some updates or they have done these at dealer level? I really like that silver garnish on the Harrier rear bumper, quite VELARish it is.

TorqueIndia is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 26th April 2021, 18:31   #893
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueIndia View Post
Found this video on YouTube, the 170ps Harrier in this video got silver skid plates and garnishes similar to BS4 versions. Did Tata Motors made some updates or they have done these at dealer level? I really like that silver garnish on the Harrier rear bumper, quite VELARish it is.

https://Youtu.be/gfJq8-B6TTw
The Harrier XZ version still gets Silver garnish and skid plates. The rest of the lineup gets black.
Bluengel180 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 26th April 2021, 18:38   #894
BHPian

Quote:
Why can't there be minimum professionalism practiced by Tata dealers and service stations? They could have easily delegated the responsibility of taking the vehicle on the ramp to an experienced driver, knowing that it can damage customers' vehicles. I am not willing to visit the service station, for rectification of niggles and rattling sounds (mentioned above).
Thanks for the detailed reply Nayan. It is sad indeed. I have no words to say.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aniyo View Post

I have one nasty rattle from 2 month of car purchase near the tail gate/ c-pillar which none of the SC have managed to solve. Since it is On and Off I have made peace with it.

Man, this is freaking me out. My Harrier XZA+ has a mild rattling sound which can only be heard with the music off. It is intermittent. TASS themselves informed me about this during the test drive and asked me to leave my car with them for a day. I will make sure, I will stay with the car when they open the C pillar to check.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotanF1driver View Post
A diesel automatic is what I am looking for. The lowest diesel automatic variant in the compass is 33.72 lacs (on-road, Kochi - sourced from carwale.com). This is out of my budget, and by a big margin. Agree that not everyone can extend their budget to swallow the Compass.
I was in the same dilemma. Compass Diesel Automatic was way out of my budget. Never liked MG Hector and never saw myself driving it. Other than the minor rattle from the C pillar, I have no regrets with the Harrier. Paint quality could definitely have been better.

Last edited by The Riddler : 26th April 2021 at 18:50. Reason: spelling
The Riddler is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th April 2021, 18:41   #895
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluengel180 View Post
The Harrier XZ version still gets Silver garnish and skid plates. The rest of the lineup gets black.
Oops, you are right. it's available only in XZ and XZA, not in XZ/XZA+ variants, that's strange.
Old 26th April 2021, 18:43   #896
BHPian

Hi All,

I was in market for Mid size SUV. Obvious choice was Harrier, Creta and Seltos.

I was not in for serious shopping, hence logged into their website and requested for the Test Drive.

Tata Motors - Enter the details and click submit. Within a minute I get call from TATA motors asking for the variant i'm looking for, Nearest dealership and Date/Time for the test drive. Even post i hang up phone, I receive an SMS saying thanks for choosing TATA motors.

KIA motors - With TATA motors pleasant experience which i was not expecting one after reading Horror stories about service center and attitude of showroom guys, Had very high hopes about KIA motors. Filled in details and clicked on submit. Its been two months. No sms, None contacted me. Period. Was thinking of TATA motors experience, I was expecting much more from KIA motors.

Hyundai Creta - After doing initial compromise on looks ( subjective) filled in the test drive form. Click on submit and wait for 5 days. Post that i get call from lazy sales representative. Asked about automatic top end diesel variant. They say they dont have test drive vehicle. they can help me with manual Mid variant. I suspected they we getting me some customer vehicle because i dont think there is any test drive mid variants vehicles. I refused to take a test drive. Sales guy says all looks same so there should not be any difference. I mean manual diesel and petrol is same as automatics. I said since i'm not taking any test drives and just going by your words, I can give 3 lakhs less for top end diesel automatics. Is it ok? He just laughed and kept phone. I did get call from Hyundai after a month or so but status had not changed. There is no display vehicle. I had to make decisions based on brochures.

I finished my test drive with TATA harrier automatic in flat in one week. SA informed me that no dark edition available for test drive, however they can take me to stock yard and show one car to show the difference. I will also have good long test drive in current car. I did not have time and refused. He went to an extent to explain what is different from regular top end and dark edition. Came mighty impressed.

I know i'm gambling a bit with service center. But i believe creta and KIA seltos are overwhelmed with bookings and waiting period.

I have booked XZA+ Dark edition.

Last edited by Endofdayz : 26th April 2021 at 18:45.
Endofdayz is offline   (37) Thanks
Old 26th April 2021, 18:47   #897
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Riddler View Post
Man, this is freaking me out. My Harrier XZA+ also had a mild rattling sound which can only be heard with the music off. Also it is intermittent. The SC themselves informed me about this during the test drive and asked me to leave my car with them for a day. I will make sure, I will stay with the car when they open the C pillar to check.
One of the SC in Vizag did offer to open the c-pillar and check but I have declined since this is covid times and don't want to spend too much time indoors full of people.

Will get it done some day. Infact I have a good mind to get the tools and do it myself.
aniyo is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th April 2021, 20:24   #898
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotanF1driver View Post

Took a test drive of Seltos Diesel AT. I found it to be just adequately powered, which is passable. But the suspension is a bit too firm for my liking. Tuned almost like a European car - on our roads, you feel the bad road surfaces. Also, I can't digest the looks of the new Creta - no offense to owners, but I tried my level best.

Speaking of dealership experiences, I got a test drive of Harrier in 1 week of giving them a ring. It took almost 3 weeks or so for the Seltos and lifelong (literally) for Creta. I called up multiple dealerships of Hyundai for a test drive car and no one even gave a call back! I tried for a month and gave up! One of them even told me that they sold their TD car and if I insist, I can see a delivery vehicle! That too I need to wait and be at the showroom at the right time (before the vehicle is delivered to the customer).

Any other alternatives I should consider @Nayan?

@NotanF1driver.
As I have mentioned in my post, Jeep Compass belongs to upper segment in every aspect. So naturally it is costlier than Harrier. Not all can stretch their budget.
Unfortunately, I don't have much idea about Diesel Automatic Options. My choice was very clear. 5-seater SUV, Diesel, Manual Transmission, Sturdy with top notch safety. So I won't be able to help you much regarding the options available. I think others can help you better.

@Riddler & @Endofdayz & other forum members.
Please do not generalize my opinion and experience regarding TaMo and quality of service offered by TaMo dealers & TASS. In my post, I have even praised the other TASS (newly opened in my hometown). Whatever happened was "my" experience which can be one in hundreds. For my one negative experience, you can find multiple positive experiences as well. No doubt that, as compared to Maruti & Hyundai, TaMo is inferior in terms of dealer/TASS experience. It remains "Hit or Miss" as mentioned in Teambhp official review. My opinions and suggestions are not based on comparison between TaMo and other car companies (like Hyundai, Kia etc). I feel, those who are in market to buy a car in this segment, should check out all the worthy options and then take final call.

Harrier offers safety, features, sturdiness, looks, engine and more space at 20% less cost than Jeep Compass with similar specifications. So one has to compromise in some aspects. And for Tata Harrier, that compromise is at the cost of the "premium feel" in terms of fit & finish, interior quality etc, expected at this price point. If you are OK, then definitely go with Tata Harrier. Everyone will agree that if TaMo had priced Harrier at par with Compass, then it wouldn't have sold in such numbers. Jeep Compass customers have their own problems, mentioned in the thread of 2021 Compass review. It seems that Jeep dealers are asking customers to pay full amount as soon as the vehicle is allotted at the factory level (even before it reaches the dealer).

Regarding Creta & Seltos. This is how things work in India (and may be in developed nations as well. I don't have any idea). Both cars are in high demand and dealers as well as manufacturers are in heaven. Let the demand come down, they will be more professional in dealing with the potential customers. You can call them for Santro or other models which are not fast moving. Then they will be very eager to serve you.

Last edited by Sheel : 28th April 2021 at 08:00. Reason: Typos.
Nayan is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 26th April 2021, 21:23   #899
BHPian

Absolutely no offence taken. Your experience is valued. I just shared my experience. I'm not bashing any other manufacturer here. Cheers.

Last edited by Sheel : 26th April 2021 at 22:11. Reason: Please capitalize where required. Thanks.
Old 26th April 2021, 22:07   #900
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Nayan, thanks for taking the time to detail out your awful experience with Tata Motors. I am one of the perennial fence sitters when it comes to the Harrier and every time I read of such bad experiences, I realize that Tata Motors still has some way to go. Im just sharing a few thoughts
- Since your dealership was sitting on your Rs 3L for such a long time, you were well within your right to ask for the full amount and the interest that would have been earned for the time period. I had a booking with a Mahindra dealership and the sales guy kept playing the fool when it came to returning my refundable deposit. A couple of emails to Mahindra later, the dealership returned the amount with interest.
- You really should name the dealership that left your Harrier with scratches and had the audacity to not inform you about it. That will help other Tata owners in your city understand the risks associated with giving their cars and SUVs for service to that place. One small detail here will help hundreds of forum members and visitors to this thread.
- Since you still seem to be having issues with your Harrier, make use of the escalation matrix if required and get the details of the senior regional service manager. Explain your predicament and the issues that you have faced. I am sure that there are some good apples in the Tata ecosystem and they will ensure that your issues are resolved.

Sometimes, these automobile companies need customers to send a strong email or pick up the phone and get hold of the right person, before things can be set right. As a Harrier customer, you deserve to have get all these issues rectified to your satisfaction.

Wish you the best in your ownership experience with your Harrier and hopefully the bad experiences are firmly behind you.
neil.jericho is offline   (25) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks