Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th November 2021, 20:33   #1276
BHPian

Re: 2020 Tata Harrier Automatic : Official Review

I am currently using XUV500 W8 AWD as my daily ride. Its been 7+ years and i am thinking of changing my ride. Have kept a budget of 25 to 30LPA. Harrier is something which i am seriously considering

Can experts here throw some light on the below points?

1. How is the backseat comfort? Is there any side way movement? This was one of the biggest pain points for me on the XUV500. Driver & Co passenger seats were superb but rear seated folks always complained about side way movement and felt not comfortable sitting there.
2. I am based in Bangalore. How is the Tata Sales & ASS experience here?
3. Looking at an Automatic this time. How is the experience of driving it in City & Highway?
4. I am comparing this with Jeep Compass. Is it a good comparison?
5. What Fuel efficiency we can look at from Petrol & Diesel versions? I am looking at around 2000Km driving a month which works out to ~25,000km per year.
Old 9th November 2021, 02:27   #1277
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rave20 View Post
I am currently using XUV500 W8 AWD as my daily ride. Its been 7+ years and i am thinking of changing my ride. Have kept a budget of 25 to 30LPA. Harrier is something which i am seriously considering

Can experts here throw some light on the below points?

1. How is the backseat comfort? Is there any side way movement? This was one of the biggest pain points for me on the XUV500. Driver & Co passenger seats were superb but rear seated folks always complained about side way movement and felt not comfortable sitting there.
3. Looking at an Automatic this time. How is the experience of driving it in City & Highway?
5. What Fuel efficiency we can look at from Petrol & Diesel versions? I am looking at around 2000Km driving a month which works out to ~25,000km per year.
There are so many horror stories of the Harrier/Safari twins on this site. You should keep this in mind before buying these vehicles. The ride quality is good, but ASS and niggles are something to worry about. If nothing breaks, you are good, but chances are high that something will break. Going by the continuous issues pouring in, the company doesn't seem to be doing much to fix these ASS and quality issues and is instead focused on silencing the customer. If you are ok with your vehicle being in service, you can go for it. If this is your only daily drive, you should think twice before going for it.

XUV700 seems to be a less risky bet and gives you more equipment for your buck (if you are going to take a risk, you will atleast get more from your money). Or you can go for Innova. Simple, sturdy and reliable. The Jeep does offer good quality, but the price premium you would pay isn't justified with what others are offering. The 700 has similar or even advanced features over anything in this segment at the moment.

That being said, the Safari gold does offer ventilated captain seats in the 2nd row. This will help the 2nd row passengers be more comfortable and help avoid the jostling. The Innova too comes with this option but with non ventilated seats. The premium charge by Toyota is more for a long term reliable and dependable product at the cost of features.
Old 9th November 2021, 07:08   #1278
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerSpike View Post
There are so many horror stories of the Harrier/Safari twins on this site. You should keep this in mind before buying these vehicles. The ride quality is good, but ASS and niggles are something to worry about. If nothing breaks, you are good, but chances are high that something will break. Going by the continuous issues pouring in, the company doesn't seem to be doing much to fix these ASS and quality issues and is instead focused on silencing the customer. If you are ok with your vehicle being in service, you can go for it. If this is your only daily drive, you should think twice before going for it.

XUV700 seems to be a less risky bet and gives you more equipment for your buck (if you are going to take a risk, you will atleast get more from your money). Or you can go for Innova. Simple, sturdy and reliable. The Jeep does offer good quality, but the price premium you would pay isn't justified with what others are offering. The 700 has similar or even advanced features over anything in this segment at the moment.

That being said, the Safari gold does offer ventilated captain seats in the 2nd row. This will help the 2nd row passengers be more comfortable and help avoid the jostling. The Innova too comes with this option but with non ventilated seats. The premium charge by Toyota is more for a long term reliable and dependable product at the cost of features.
Now i am more confused...

Though XUV700 would have been a logical upgrade for me, i didnt mention it since it already has 8 to 10 months waiting period. I can't wait for so long to get a vehicle.

Safari top end exceeds my budget of within 30LPA.

Jeep safari i am okay to pay the premium since it looks premium but not sure on the back seat comfort and seating capacity.

Heard good reviews on the Tata Harrier AT and wanted to check on the same.
rave20 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th November 2021, 08:13   #1279
BHPian

You can check out Hyundai Tucson alao. I got delivery in one week (white GLO diesel). I found the drive much better than Safari (went for Harrier TD but the dealer didn't have one and only Safari). Very smooth drive and ride. I test drove Jeep Compass too. But my family felt the rear space of Tucson was better and service network of Hyundai was better. So Tucson it was. With discount it was 29 on road Chennai
Old 9th November 2021, 09:50   #1280
BHPian

Quote:
Now i am more confused...
Heard good reviews on the Tata Harrier AT and wanted to check on the same.
Following are my pointers

1. Better avoid first version of XUV700 as they take time to sort out the niggles
2. Better avoid Jeep as after sales are not promising and very limited
3. My vote goes to Innova or Tucson
4. I own a Tata Harrier AT that had done 22k within an year and am happy with the ride. But I still feel Tata has to go a long way to reach the league of Toyota and Hyundai in QC and ASS
greyhound82 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th November 2021, 12:45   #1281

Hi Rave20,

I was driving an XUV500 W6 from 2015 till July 2021 and switched to Harrier XZA+ in September '21. Driven it for ~2000+ kms so far and 1st servicing done. Will share my take and hope it helps you get some idea:

1. Ride Comfort > you're right XUV was irritating on the back bench and ladies of my house always complained about it. Overall harrier's ride quality is definitely better but there's a catch. When we test drove the Harrier, we were given 2020 dark editions to drive which had 17" alloys. It literally glided over potholes and both wifey and I were convinced the rear seat comfort is supreme compared to XUV's. However when I booked the Dark Edition 2021, it came fitted with 18" alloys. Now I had driven my friend's new TATA Safari extensively and researched the forum so I knew 18" tyres had low wall height compared to 17" ones which compromised their cushioning a bit. My Harrier hence feels like a 35% improvement in ride quality on 18" and not 50% as regular Harriers do. So keep this in mind before you decide on a variant

2. Sales & ASS Experience: I bought the Harrier in Mumbai and went to 3 separate showrooms. If you've lived with a Mahindra, then you know that most of the staff at M&M and TaMo does not comprise polished individuals. You'll likely get a feeling that you're talking to a rural truck salesman so rely on this wonderful forum for proper research and set your sales expectations accordingly. Most sales people at TaMo are genuinely busy with high sales so while they'll give you time, they may not be properly rehearsed or researched in their output. Try to go via a reference for an elevated experience and talk to Sales Team Leader if possible. I ended up complaining about my Sales guy to TaMo Corporate office at one dealership and buying the vehicle without a single TD from a team leader in another dealership. Keep your expectations reasonable and you'll be rewarded. I had made a list of all issues highlighted on this forum and discussed each to my satisfaction with the team lead before my purchase. This helped me avoid any last minute disappointments and the team lead gave me genuinely good discounts considering my research (he probably felt I'll find out anyways ). He even offered me a test drive during PDI and took full payment after PDI was done. Members of the forum or on ownership groups on FB can guide you on pricing and discounts if required. I also got my 1st free servicing done recently and the overall experience was good. Just like M&M, there are multiple follow-ups on customer experience and Service Advisors are usually diligent. They did not charge me for wheel alignment or driver pickup/drop this time alteast. I am assuming experience in Bangalore should be similar for I have purchased 2 cars in Bangalore so have some idea of how these dealerships tend to behave

3. Automatic vs Manual: I am a fan of manual because am usually launching right off the zebra crossing on green signals, but in case of Harrier, a quick study of this forum will tell you that Automatic is the better choice. This is my 2nd automatic after a 10+ year gap (earlier was a 2nd hand Honda Accord in 2009) and compared to XUV, am still getting used to the 'rubber band' acceleration especially in very low rpms. That said, Harrier is a heavy feeling vehicle to drive, not in kgs sense but given the hydraulic steering & overall solidity from within, and the automatic helps there in a big way. There are multiple reports of clutch issues and left knee inconvenience which I have avoided so far. In the sports mode, the car literally feels its gone berserk! Unlike the XUV where I floored the accelerator and smiled away, I have to apply brakes in city traffic to avoid nudging the car ahead during tight overtakes (its that fast ). If you're driving an automatic after a hiatus like me, be prepared to let bikers and small vehicles cut you off in bumper to bumper traffic till you get a command on acceleration prediction. These, however, are minor and personal nuances and I'm very happy with the automatic's performance in both cities and highways

4. Comparison with Jeep Compass: I had also driven my friend's new Compass Limited Edition sourced in May 2021 but after XUV, it felt way too small to be a 33 Lacs on-road addition. The sense of roominess is just missing and while the suspension, build quality & drive is great, it simply does not have the commanding road presence of XUVs (I for e.g. never gave side to a Compass when I saw one in my rear-view mirror in Gurgaon & Mumbai where I drove my XUV extensively. Another thing, which Compass owners can better verify, is it seems to have relatively more service cost compared to both M&M and TaMo. Both M&M and TaMo spare parts & services are way cheaper than my wife's Honda and my friend ecosystem used to regret not buying a Mahindra only because of this. The facelifted Compass has an amazing interior but it still does not feel VFM for the asking price.

5. Fuel Efficiency: My diesel XZA+ has been returning 10-11 kmpl in city and 16-17 on highways. My driving is mostly between City and Sports mode and I drive fast so am not the ideal reference for fuel efficiency. That said, its a bit disappointing as my XUV returned 14-15 kmpl from Day 1 and was not subject to driving manners. I read somewhere on the net that average will improve with time but not sure about it.

6. Why not XUV700? I did evaluate this option but the over-done styling and over-reliance on electronics kind of did it in for me. My XUV was a tough mechanical horse but not the most electronically sound car (my wife's Brio was better in that sense). I simply could not muster the confidence to invest heavily in a Mahindra laptop of a car - the same reason I never selected the MG Hector. I would never use the much touted ADAS in my drives either. For me, the car's mechanicals & build takes precedence over feature brochure and that's where Harrier seemed to score. Just open and close the doors of both vehicles side by side and you'll understand what am talking about.

7. Why not Safari? Well I felt that the 100 kgs additional weight makes it presence felt in city traffic compromising maneuverability a bit. The much talked about electronic parking brake felt like holding the car back in start-stop traffic and the 18-inchers were a bummer anyway. Also did not have need of the last row and the captain seats felt narrow for healthier members of the family. Other than that, I do miss the rear disc brakes and ventilated seats in the Harrier that the Safari provides

To sum it up, am very happy with my purchase so far and time permitting will post a longer review. My Dark Edition is a stunner and attracts eyeballs anywhere I go. I don't know whether I will face issues in the long run but I firmly believe that I need not bother about what I can't control. There's not even a single car brand in India today not suffering from technical issues in their cars so only focusing on TATA's negatives is not the right approach. Keep your expectations right by researching well. Harrier is well put together product and my personal opinion is to go for it.

Last edited by Aditya : 11th November 2021 at 05:09. Reason: Extra smiley deleted
Nemesis_500 is offline   (27) Thanks
Old 9th November 2021, 13:14   #1282
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemesis_500 View Post
Hi Rave20...
Thanks. This really helps.

One of the other car I am considering in this comparison is Hyundai Tucson. Let me test drive all 3 and decide.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 9th November 2021 at 17:01. Reason: Please do not quote long posts in full while responding, inconveniences our mobile readers. Thanks.
rave20 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th November 2021, 16:03   #1283

Recently finished another temple run during the deepavali weekend!
Bengaluru - Kukke subramanya -Dharmastala -Udupi- Kollur - Murdeshwara -Gokarna -Bengaluru
Total distance covered -1208km
avg mileage -15.6km/l with five passengers and Luggage and AC
Ride comfort - Excellent ! family enjoyed the journey with no complaints .
will write in detail about the route and other important places to visit on the way.
attaching a few pictures of EVA

The beautiful curvy roads of the ghats
2020 Tata Harrier Automatic : Official Review-img20211107085501.jpg

Dint break a sweat throughout the journey.Took what ever the road conditions in its stride.
2020 Tata Harrier Automatic : Official Review-img_20211109_152825.jpg

Overall trip mileage
2020 Tata Harrier Automatic : Official Review-img20211107215117.jpg

Since traffic was a bit much on the weekend , Decided to cruise from Davangere to Bengaluru. Maintained triple digit speeds(110 - 120) , Gentle throttle inputs.She delivered an excellent Mileage !
2020 Tata Harrier Automatic : Official Review-img20211107215105.jpg

Overall happy with the purchase ! totally in love!
Doc(tor)que is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 10th November 2021, 14:33   #1284
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkaria1970 View Post
Guys, I am taking the delivery of my Tata Harrier XZA on the 7th, thinking of replacing the stock Appolo tyres with Yokohama Geolandar with same size.

How much would the stock Appolo fetch if exchanged straight out of the showroom?

Any other tyre recommendations are most wellcome.

Cheers
Changed to Geolander G015 few weeks back.
maddyg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th November 2021, 19:55   #1285

Quote:
2. Regarding ASS, I am quite satisfied with KHT motors till now and heard about good experience from my friends who take their cars to Kropex or Key motors as well. There could be other ones based on where you are in the city. So, it shouldn’t be difficult to find few good options in Bangalore when it comes to servicing.

5. One of the great things about this car is that it comes with three driving modes which actually change the driving dynamics significantly. If I discard the first 1000kms, in city drives I get between 12 to 13 km/l and on highways 15 km/l (tank to tank). I am fairly sure that one can extract much more on highways by using ‘eco mode’ and driving in a sedate manner.

Nemesis_500 has wonderfully responded to rest of your queries. Though I don’t fully agree with him on automatic vs manual 😊 I drove the automatic variant of Harrier before deciding to buy the manual one (XZ). But it’s your preference – take test drives of both and decide accordingly. Either way you would choose a wonderful car.
Firestarter0508 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th November 2021, 20:56   #1286
BHPian

Quote:
I have not driven the XUV500, so cannot compare peer to peer. Other than that,

1. The back seat comfort of Harrier is excellent. Period.
2. The best powertrain combo of Harrier is the Automatic. In fact, you will much appreciate the auto, especially in Bangalore traffic.
3. Yes it is the right comparison - comparing Harrier with Compass. However, the price difference is significant. Compass is not worth that extra 7-8 lakhs. And the rear comfort is not as good as Harrier. Especially, the low-speed ride comfort in Harrier is better than Compass. Check it for yourself by taking the test drives of both. And Compass is a 4+1 seater compared to Harrier which is a proper 5 seater.
4. For that matter, even Harrier is not worth the money - paying 25 big ones to miss on ventilated seats, LED headlights, LED tail lights, wireless charging, wireless apple carplay/andriod auto, better rear camera, blind spot assist, reclining back seats, etc where the competition is miles ahead offering more than what is mentioned here.
5. There is no petrol Harrier. I hope you are aware of this. Regarding the mileage of diesel, in City 11-13kmpl and on Highways 15-17kmpl based on your driving.
6. Tata is no Toyota/Honda/Maruti when it comes to ASS EXPERIENCE and RELIABILITY. So the only downside is that I advise and caution you to be well aware and well informed of these 2 factors. I have a bad experience.
7. The most important pain point of Harrier is the poor Infotainment system and its niggles which has not been sorted until now.

Please be aware that there are many other options in the launch pipeline in 2022 - new Tuscon, Tiguan, Karoq. However, all these options will definitely cost you upwards of 30 big ones.
Harrier is definitely a good choice to buy and own (if not the best). Happy and safe motoring!

Last edited by Livnletcarsliv : 15th November 2021 at 21:26.
Livnletcarsliv is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 15th November 2021, 22:01   #1287
BHPian

Thanks guys...

I test drove the Harrier top end (Automatic) and was not impressed with the drive. There was too much body roll and side ways movement. My wife liked the drive of our XUV500 better.

Space is definitely a plus point for Harrier but in my case wife felt its too much and it feels like a bus!

Planning to test drive my friends harrier (Oct 2021 model) to make sure if the issue is with test drive vehicle or Harrier in general.

In the mean time loved Hyundai Tucson drive and comfort. That in the front running seat as of now.
rave20 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th November 2021, 20:32   #1288
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garth View Post
I am thinking of fitting side steps on my Harrier. Appreciate if someone can clear some doubts.

Main reason I am thinking of this is, when I get in and out of the car, the sides of the seats get compressed a lot. Over the years I few that the seat might get damaged. I am 5 ft 7 for reference, and own a dark edition XZA+.

Has anyone fitted side steps to their Harrier? If yes, is there any negative impacts in terms of ground clearance?
Fitting side steps invariably affects Ground clearance, no matter how small the clamps you put in. On a body on frame chassis it doesnt matter so much but on a monocoque chassis, the veh is bound to sag quite a bit if fully loaded. That's when the clamps of the side step are going to hit the rough stuff.
Puffdamgcdragon is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 16th November 2021, 20:59   #1289
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks guys...

I test drove the Harrier top end (Automatic) and was not impressed with the drive. There was too much body roll and side ways movement. My wife liked the drive of our XUV500 better.

Space is definitely a plus point for Harrier but in my case wife felt its too much and it feels like a bus!

Planning to test drive my friends harrier (Oct 2021 model) to make sure if the issue is with test drive vehicle or Harrier in general.

In the mean time loved Hyundai Tucson drive and comfort. That in the front running seat as of now.
Harrier's drive is miles ahead of XUV500. Your bad experience was probably due to the poorly maintained TD car. In fact, Harrier's stiffer suspension leads to less body roll compared to XUV500.

With Tuscon, you will not go wrong. Tuscon is ages better than Harrier. Advantage Tuscon - Better and powerful engine, better transmission and tuning, better refinement, long list of all features, better fit and finish, significantly better after-sales experience, high reliability, much happier ownership experience, etc.

However please be aware that the nextgen 2022 Tuscon is on the cards, which is expected in Q1/Q2 2022. Otherwise, if you have the budget, immediate need for a new car, and don't care about the next-gen update, then blindly buy the Tuscon.
Livnletcarsliv is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 16th November 2021, 21:26   #1290
BHPian

Took test drive of Harrier again, today it was a brand new car with just 600km on the odo...

Still didn't like the ride, there was too much body roll and tossing around in the 2nd row...

Harrier is out of contention now. Zeroed in on Hyundai Tucson (GLS 4WD)

I know new version is launched globally but no word on when it will be available in India, sales executive says by Q3 of 2022. Even when it will be released, it will be expensive by couple of lakhs!

This is already at the top of my budget and don't want to stretch it more. I got a good 1.5 lakh discount on the list price.
rave20 is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks