Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 13th June 2021, 07:39   #181

Re: Maruti S-Cross 1.5L Petrol : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
Indeed the SCross is one nice package at around the 10L bracket - spacious, well-built, good interiors, decent power, good ride etc.
BTW, what variant is your SCross ? Alpha ?

If only the SHVS was given as an option (& not compulsorily bundled in), the price would have been down by a lakh odd, making it a real value proposition.
I love the SCross, but hate that SHVS thing being forced on me.

If that were the definition of an driving enthusiast, most folks in USA won't qualify. One can enjoy driving, be it manual or automatic.
We have an AStar automatic with a puny 1litre engine, but I have had fun ripping the car.
I have a Zeta variant automatic. The alfa variant is 1 lakh costlier for some cosmetic upgrades and LED lights. So I was happy with Zeta.
nkkaimal79 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th June 2021, 19:37   #182
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkkaimal79 View Post
I have a Zeta variant automatic. The alfa variant is 1 lakh costlier for some cosmetic upgrades and LED lights. So I was happy with Zeta.

The thing with scross is, for people like us; who are upgrading from a hatchback like santro or WagonR; the amount of space offered at the price point simply boggles one's mind. The interior though minimal still reeks of good quality. It is simply too good a package at the price considering that it's a 4 metre plus car.

Secondly I totally agree- the alpha trim- just for led lights, leather upholstery, auto lights and vipers and drls costs a lakh more. Zeta is the best vfm package.

My personal wish was if the ecosport was stretched to 4.3 metres. The cramped rear seat put me off otherwise it's the best package around.
Happy driving. Wishing you many more happy miles with the car.
knrn is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 13th June 2021, 19:56   #183

Yes right. No car is bad with today's technology.everything has its pros and cons. There is a saying in hindi " jitna gudh utna meetha". The more the jaggery the sweeter it gets!!

Same way, more the cost, better the car. Now it's upon us how much to invest in a car vis a vis other priorities in life
nkkaimal79 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th June 2021, 19:12   #184

Have travelled 1300 kms from Baroda to Bangalore. The automatic is fast , smooth and slick. I never faced any issue on highway. The vehicle didn't rev too hard above 70kmph. My top speed was 90 kmph and things were just fine. During the climb towards Satara, the vehicle felt lagging in power. The OD off mode came in handy and the L mode also. But yes, the manual cars overtook me in this hilly stretch. Mine was gasping for power.

But still, remaining drive was pleasant and smooth.

Enjoyed the cruise control .

The average mileage kept improving as I drove. Getting almost 17 kmpl now.
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti S-Cross 1.5L Petrol : Official Review-img20210615wa0009.jpg  

Maruti S-Cross 1.5L Petrol : Official Review-img20210615wa0009.jpg  

Maruti S-Cross 1.5L Petrol : Official Review-img_20210616_103149.jpg  

Last edited by Aditya : 17th June 2021 at 05:21. Reason: Use of acronyms
nkkaimal79 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 20th June 2021, 02:42   #185
One
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkkaimal79 View Post
During the climb towards Satara, the vehicle felt lagging in power. The OD off mode came in handy and the L mode also. But yes, the manual cars overtook me in this hilly stretch. Mine was gasping for power.
How unresponsive was the car with OD off- I assumed it would be fine, but looking at your experience that doesn't seem to be the case. Also, was the car loaded with passengers/ luggage or did you have this issue even without extra weight?
Old 20th June 2021, 09:17   #186

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centodieci View Post
Curiously, Scross is featured again in Maruti’s website for cars based on heartect platform

https://www.marutisuzuki.com/corpora...ology/heartect

There was a discussion happening in latest video of Mr. Gagan Modi (Youtube channel - MyCarHelpline) where he mentioned that he has personally enquired and got confirmation from Maruti’s top management about Scross based on heartect and not global c.

As an owner now, this news worries me.
Hi BHPians, I would like to post update on my post as I have done part by part comparison of all 37 components in the floor panel from Boodmo/Oriparts and found most of the platform parts are shared with old SCross. The facelift version has few crossmembers which seems re engineered as they are cheaper but those are also shared with facelifted Brezza. The platform design is ditto as Brezza and old SCross.

Also, in Facebook owner's group some of the members were kind enough to share the underbody pictures of old SCross which looks similar to the new SCross. Some of BHPians had shared this observation earlier in this thread as well but due to Maruti's website goofing up again, I got bit confused. Apologies for the same.
Centodieci is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th June 2021, 09:20   #187

We were three passengers and loaded with luggage upto the 60:40 split option. The OD is good to keep the car revved up to climb at a constant speed. But t start climbing from a stand still , one needs 2/L. This hilly stretch was the only place where I found the power lag

Otherwise the car was doing just fine.
nkkaimal79 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st June 2021, 23:20   #188
BHPian

As I drive my 2020 Petrol S-Cross across different types of terrain (that’s the only way to describe our roads) and for 2-4 hour drives on the Mumbai-Pune expressway, I find the ride quality to be quite stiff. I end up feeling most of the bumps and rumbles on the road.
The NVH levels are also bad, especially at 80kmph onwards. Would any of the posters know if damping has proven to be effective at reducing NVH on this car?
Need to change the stock tires too.
Old 21st June 2021, 23:38   #189
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang Sammy View Post
As I drive my 2020 Petrol S-Cross across different types of terrain (that’s the only way to describe our roads) and for 2-4 hour drives on the Mumbai-Pune expressway, I find the ride quality to be quite stiff. I end up feeling most of the bumps and rumbles on the road.
Check the tyre pressure. Lower it by 1-2 psi and see if the ride gets better. Also the JK tyres are not known for comfort. You can swap them with Michelin / Continental / Yokohama.

Quote:
The NVH levels are also bad, especially at 80kmph onwards. Would any of the posters know if damping has proven to be effective at reducing NVH on this car?
Need to change the stock tires too.
Damping is effective upto an extent, but do not expect lot of difference. I am surprised to hear that S-Cross 1.5 petrol has high NVH.

Last edited by Dr.Naren : 21st June 2021 at 23:45.
Dr.Naren is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2021, 22:31   #190
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Naren View Post
Check the tyre pressure. Lower it by 1-2 psi and see if the ride gets better. Also the JK tyres are not known for comfort. You can swap them with Michelin / Continental / Yokohama.

Damping is effective upto an extent, but do not expect lot of difference. I am surprised to hear that S-Cross 1.5 petrol has high NVH.
Thanks Doc.
I’ve run it at the rated and low pressures, and feel no difference. There is noticeable side to side body roll especially on bumpy surfaces.

The NVH levels are very high once you cross 80kmph, especially on the concrete surface of the Mumbai-Pune expressway.

Was looking for the Michelin P4ST tires when I got the car but couldn’t find any thanks to the import situation from China. Will look for the Yokohamas as a backup.
Mustang Sammy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2021, 22:48   #191
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang Sammy View Post
Thanks Doc.
I’ve run it at the rated and low pressures, and feel no difference. There is noticeable side to side body roll especially on bumpy surfaces.
I suggest you to get the suspension checked, especially rear shocks.

Quote:
Was looking for the Michelin P4ST tires when I got the car but couldn’t find any thanks to the import situation from China. Will look for the Yokohamas as a backup.
Michelin P4ST is available now. You can also check Continental UC6 which is more VFM .
Dr.Naren is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2021, 22:49   #192
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:

The problem with petrol Marutis' is that you hear everything but the engine at highway speeds (especially these new concrete highways the NHAI has saddled us with). Damping should improve the NVH characteristics by quite a lot in these aspects. The K15B is extremely silent anyways so this would improve the user experience on the highway by leaps and bounds.
sierrabravo98 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2021, 23:25   #193
BHPian

Quote:
I suggest you to get the suspension checked, especially rear shocks.

Michelin P4ST is available now. You can also check Continental UC6 which is more VFM .
Thanks again Doc. The car is new, having barely run 7000 km, 75% of it on the expressway. Doubt the rear shocks are bad so soon, but will have them checked at the 10k servicing anyway.
Thanks for the heads up regarding the tires. Will check out prices and keep the team posted once I get them installed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierrabravo98 View Post
The problem with petrol Marutis' is that you hear everything but the engine at highway speeds (especially these new concrete highways the NHAI has saddled us with). Damping should improve the NVH characteristics by quite a lot in these aspects. The K15B is extremely silent anyways so this would improve the user experience on the highway by leaps and bounds.

Exactly! Only when I gun the engine past 4K rpm does it get heard over the highway noise.
Will try damping the front and rear doors for starters. Researching this is gonna be a project in itself, considering the wealth of information on this site.

Last edited by Eddy : 22nd June 2021 at 23:50. Reason: Merged. Please use the edit / multiquote functionality instead of back to back posts within 30 mins on the same thread.
Mustang Sammy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2021, 00:31   #194
BHPian

Quote:
During the climb towards Satara, the vehicle felt lagging in power. The OD off mode came in handy and the L mode also. But yes, the manual cars overtook me in this hilly stretch.
I have driven the Petrol Motor twice or thrice, first as a TD, then one of friend's car. The car does lack in power when I compare it to my 2016 S-Cross with 1.6 diesel mill. The performance is also a lot linear with the petrol engine as compared to the Diesel one where it's a lot of torque in a very short span of time once you push hard on the pedal.

Quote:
I couldn't agree more with Dr. Naren here. Had the JK tyres for a good 40k, switched to Yokohama and the difference in the ride quality is a noticeable. Also, the stock JK ones you get are one of the worst ones I have had in any of my cars.

As far as the suspension goes, I don't expect it to go out at 7,000 kms. I've had changed mine at around 65k. 7k kms is too short of a number for your suspension to go all out. But do get them checked, you never really know with MS quality.
Moto_Bear is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2021, 08:27   #195
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by knrn View Post
The thing with scross is, for people like us; who are upgrading from a hatchback like santro or WagonR; the amount of space offered at the price point simply boggles one's mind. The interior though minimal still reeks of good quality. It is simply too good a package at the price considering that it's a 4 metre plus car.
Completely agreed, I have an SCross 1.6 Alpha, done 72k till date. My previous car was a Swift VDi. For us the SCross is a big upgrade considering the space and comfort it offers. Moreover my parents who are 70+ are super happy with the comfort it offers, especially my father who has undergone knee replacement operation on both his knees. Earlier with the Swift a half hour break was mandate after every 2-3 hours of drive, while on the cross we can do more than 4-5 hours of driving in one go.
rakesh_r is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed