Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th September 2021, 16:10   #211
Senior - BHPian

Re: Maruti S-Cross 1.5L Petrol : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by anand.shankar View Post
So, I'm not clear if the part marked in this pic is still there in the Petrol S Cross. I assume the pic is from the DDIS. The engine bay sure looks more open that the one here, I could be wrong.
Today, I examined the underbody of petrol SCross and I can confirm that its exactly same as the one you posted wrt engine sump protection. Moreover, the oil sump is located quite high up above the level of the fibre plate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000rpm View Post
On a serious note - May I ask you to share the rationale for moving from a Punt to S-Cross? The Punto is a very good car and the S-cross is only incremental to Punto in my view (I hold Punto in good stead)
Allow me to share my views till Mr. Anand posts his views here.

Try to buy any compact, sub 4m SUV on sale in India and none will feel like an “upgrade”. They are all mere “updates” as you will surely get newer features such as touchscreen, reverse camera, cruise control, android auto, sunroof etc.

Getting beyond 4m is the only way one can feel he is upgrading from Punto instead of merely updating.

These are my personal views based on my experience being a FIAT Punto owner for more than a decade.

Last edited by PaddleShifter : 8th September 2021 at 16:11.
PaddleShifter is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 8th September 2021, 17:39   #212
BHPian

Disclaimer: I own the 2015 Diesel Zeta MT (pre-FL)

Quote:
Originally Posted by reluctantEnthu View Post
From regular user (mostly within Bangalore, occasional highway trip to 600 Km distant hometown, day trips)
perspective, numerous complaints of less power in S Cross is a cause of concern ?
The S-Cross Petrol MT is a brilliant commuter car. Don't let numbers on paper distract you. One of my colleagues bought the Zeta MT ~ 6 months ago and is more than satisfied with mixed city-highway runs in and out of Hyderabad.

Quote:
Is it going to be discontinued soon ?
Any facelift / upgrade expected soon ?
You will most probably see a facelift coming in 2022, and the Diesel will most likely make its appearance.

Quote:
Build quality / Safety pointers ?
S-Cross is the best built Maruti you can buy at the moment. The build (not safety), I'd dare say it is comparable to recently launched VW twins. The only thing sorely missing is an option with 6 airbags.

Quote:
Recommended accessories ?
The Zeta has everything you need except standard accessories like mats, door sills, and the almighty's idol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artyom View Post
Folks I am planning to buy the AT version for my dad and have read a lot of reviews. Overall the impression I get is positive especially from the build quality and other factors as well.
I have heard that the AT variant is noisy after 100. Is that true?
One of my friends bought the AT recently. We did a couple of long test drives together and I must say I was surprised at how nicely tuned the engine-transmission combination are. However, while we did not get to drive at the speeds you are indicating, do remember that you don't get paddle shifters or modes that you find in the competition. The question is how often do you take to the highways and high speeds!

Last edited by pannags : 8th September 2021 at 17:42.
pannags is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th September 2021, 19:03   #213

(Hi BHPians, this is my first post. Please bear with any mistakes.)

Our 2009 Ritz has now become, umm let’s call it “venerable”. Also, for many years now, when we travel as a family, we’ve been acutely feeling the need for a bigger car. So, we decided to buy a new car. We put together these requirements for the new car:

1) Spacious 5-seater – room for 3 adults in the rear seat; rear passengers comfortable during long drive
2) Good safety features (at least 4-star crash rating, all wheel disc brakes, stability at high speed, etc.)
3) Petrol engine
4) Automatic transmission
5) Good fuel efficiency (at least 12 kmpl in city)
6) Good ground clearance (minimum 180 mm)
7) Good VFM; good resale value
8) Core features are more important; don't care about features like connected car, sun roof, rain sensing wipers, ventilated seats, etc.
9) Non-flashy, sedate car
10) Last but definitely not the least – Price ex-showroom not more than 12 Lakhs

After weeks of internet search and reading through very helpful TBHP forums (like this one), decision – S-Cross Zeta AT. BTW, now that I think back, I’m not very sure which came first - the “egg” (new car requirements above), or the “chicken” (decision of S-Cross).

Picked a neighborhood Nexa showroom based on Google reviews. Called them to arrange for a test drive of S-Cross AT. The RM brought home an Alpha AT for test drive. Since rear seat space was an important requirement, loaded up rest of the family of 3 in the rear seat and with the RM in the front passenger seat, went for a drive. Picked a route that had an overpass since reviews mentioned that the car, especially with AT, felt lagging in power. With 5 adults in the car (nothing in the trunk though), I couldn’t feel any lag when climbing the overpass twice. Got a thumbs-up from the family for rear seat space, although bit more shoulder-room was an ask. As for me, suffice to say the drive felt “just right”. Only thing I needed to get used to was the SHVS turning off the engine automatically when stopped for 10 seconds and then turning it on automatically when you release the brake pedal.

That was it. The test drive reinforced our decision. Next started price negotiation with the RM & his Lead (will address that in a future post).

Apologies for making my first ever post here a bit long. Will plan to continue sharing.
esc2break is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th September 2021, 19:55   #214
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esc2break View Post
After weeks of internet search and reading through very helpful TBHP forums (like this one), decision – S-Cross Zeta AT. .
Hello esc2break, after owning the scross diesel zeta (pre-FL), I would say, if you are constantly carrying 3 adults in the rear, please have a look at XL6. XL6 is a brilliant package and the engine is tuned differently from the s-cross. The space in that car is a revelation when compared to scross and is very versatile. Do take it for a test drive before you close in on the s-cross.
govigov is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th September 2021, 20:07   #215

Quote:
Originally Posted by govigov View Post
Hello esc2break, after owning the scross diesel zeta (pre-FL), I would say, if you are constantly carrying 3 adults in the rear, please have a look at XL6. XL6 is a brilliant package and the engine is tuned differently from the s-cross. The space in that car is a revelation when compared to scross and is very versatile. Do take it for a test drive before you close in on the s-cross.
Thanks much for your input. Our neighbor has a new XL6. Did consider it. My bad that I wasn't clear in stating my requirement of enough space for 3 adults in the rear seat. This is more of a "when needed" requirement, not a constant one.
Old 16th September 2021, 17:13   #216
Senior - BHPian

I have observed a strange behaviour of my car.

When starting the car for the first time in the morning, the car jerks while releasing the clutch while starting to move forwards. This is only seen during first one or two clutch releases during the first drive in the morning. More so if car is trying to go up a minor incline/gradient (I live in mountains). This happens rarely during other times.

Is this behaviour because of this one being a NA petrol rather than a turbo diesel that I have been driving till date?
Old 17th September 2021, 13:46   #217

Quote:
Next started price negotiation with the RM & his Lead (will address that in a future post).
To continue my report… Right after the S-Cross test drive, told the Nexa RM that I have a 2009 Ritz for exchange. The next day their used car evaluator came home. This is how it went:
  • He took the Ritz out of the parking spot, did a few checks all around and took bunch of photos of the car and the RC. He didn’t want to do a test drive.
  • He asked a couple of questions like am I the first owner, was the car affected by the 2015 Chennai floods.
  • He also casually asked how much I was expecting for it. I told him nice try; all I can say is I have checked the valuation online from multiple sources.
  • Before leaving, he said couple of hours later I will get a call giving their valuation of the used Ritz.
Here was my expectation for my used Ritz:
  • For the year, variant and the kms driven, the median valuation from Car Dekho, Car Trade, Orange Book, and Cars24 was in the range 2.10L – 2.35L. The ask in OLX for a comparable car was about 5K higher than the top-end of this range.
  • I was sure that I don’t want to go through the hassle of selling it myself, so I was fine with accepting the low-end of the range above.
  • Given the mixed Cars24 TBHP reviews, my preference was True Value.
Here is how the used Ritz trade-in price negotiation played out (in the span of several days over the phone and WhatsApp):
  • Their Offer #1: 1.6L + 25K exchange offer = 1.85L total. Told them my expectation is 2.25L.
  • Their Offer #2: 1.75L + 25K exchange offer = 2.0L total. Told them I will not go below 2.15L.
  • Their Offer #3: 1.80L + 25K exchange offer + 5K additional discount = 2.10L total. Their condition – I have to book the S-Cross the same day.
  • I agreed to book the same day, but only if they give in writing the following: S-Cross ex-showroom price, Ritz trade-in value, and ALL discounts.
Based on my experience, my humble suggestions (some are re-iteration of long-standing recommendations shared years ago in TBHP forums):
  1. First do your homework to find out the market price range of your used car.
  2. Decide whether you want to sell it yourself for a higher price, or settle for a lower price in lieu of the effort/hassle of selling it yourself.
  3. Armed with the above data, negotiate.
  4. If you are negotiating your used car’s trade-in value with a new car dealer:
    • My preference was to pick a highly rated (Google reviews) dealer, exclusively engage with them over several days, build rapport with them, and go elsewhere only if I believe they’re not being fair. This way, I figured they get to know me a bit, and that I’m not window-shopping. Thought this can motivate them to give me a decent deal.
    • Make it clear that you want to buy the new car you’ve decided on, but you’re in no hurry to buy the new car or sell the old car.
    • If the negotiation stalls, push them that if they don’t offer you a fair trade-in value, you will go to other dealers.
    • If you decide to accept their offer, do so only after they give it in written form (I also insisted that it should have the name of the RM and the seal of the dealer).
  5. Dealers like to keep the corporate discount ambiguous by saying you will get “up to amount X as discount”. To get rid of the ambiguity, send your recent pay slip and ask them to clearly state what you will get. Don’t accept if they say your company doesn’t qualify for corporate discount. That’s a negotiating tactic – bargain and get the discount.
All the advice from TBHP forums were truly invaluable and although most of the advice was given many years ago, they stood the test of time. Many thanks to all BHPians who shared their knowledge so that newbies like me can benefit. I’m trying to do the same by sharing my experience and meager learning; do apologize that I couldn’t keep my post short.
esc2break is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 21st September 2021, 05:47   #218
BHPian

A warm hello to my brethren out there.

Got an S Cross Granite grey Zeta manual yesterday. Plan was a jiffy. Haha.

It is all thanks to the blessings of the almighty and my elders and family.

Saturday night at 10.30 Wifey came to me and said that the old santro is actually getting old and now that we have a few trips planned for jammu and all she did not deem it safe to travel full family and luggage in santro. So she said get a new car. I went and talked to mom and she said that this was her concern too. So at 11 in the night the plan was made to get a new car. I made a few phone calls. The car had to come on Sunday only because from Monday shraadhs were starting. So went on Sunday and got the car.

Now it seemed to create a furore everywhere. Everyone in my hospital and the showroom were shocked that how can you get a new car in 4 hours flat without any booking or arrangements or papers. Today when I went to get the car papers, the owner of the showroom called me to his office and congratulated me. He said that this is the first time in 7 years that he had seen a car being sold so quick. How did I manage? I smiled and said that I have good friends.
So this is the story. All unfolded in a span of one day.
Strange are the ways of god.

The car had 40 kms on the odo. It is a June manufactured vehicle. Tyres made in March. The granite gray looks splendid. Driven 100 kms till now. I really appreciate the planted nature and on road behaviour of the car. First thing I did out of the showroom was fill petrol. 40 litres till my heart started pounding seeing the price and I stopped. Got the air pressure dropped to 33 psi from the showroom 45 psi. The bumps that would make me jostle around in the santro are dismissed aplomb. Still getting used to the dimensions. Good car to drive. Starting an ownership thread soon.

That’s my mother standing solo with the car. Needless to say it was her decision to put the foot down. Didn’t realise she was as much of a petrolhead as me.

My RM Mr Ankush. Sweet man. One has to appreciate him delivering the car on Sunday. I am the one in orange t shirt. Cheers.
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti S-Cross 1.5L Petrol : Official Review-54e657b0308d4efda9fd5284a22fd7ca.jpeg  

Maruti S-Cross 1.5L Petrol : Official Review-8cce2df409284f67a81652f3d8f28c84.jpeg  

knrn is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 21st September 2021, 05:51   #219
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by knrn View Post
A warm hello to my brethren out there.

Got an S Cross Granite grey Zeta manual yesterday. Plan was a jiffy. Haha.
Congratulations!

S Cross and specially the Zeta variant is a very sensible and VFM buy. The thrill of unplanned purchases is immense. Even I got my XL6 in a similar way, although not as quickly as you.

Wishing you many happy miles with the car.

Regards,
Shashi
Leoshashi is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 21st September 2021, 06:03   #220
BHPian

Hey thanks leoshashi. I have been a secret admirer of your thread and posts. Cannot tell you how much I was helped by reading your posts and the thread on xl6. All that helped in the purchase. You are right. Unplanned purchases are a thrill on their own. One never really has enough money. It’s just an urge that starts as an itch and then engulfs you as a whole proceeding to a plunge. Been planning to buy a car since 3 years. Finally bit the bug. Ownership thread coming soon.
Sometimes you never know that your work is being noted and appreciated by so many.

Big thanks once again dear. Have a great day.
knrn is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st September 2021, 06:18   #221
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Saturday night at 10.30 Wifey came to me and said that the old santro is actually getting old. At 11 in the night the plan was made to get a new car. The car had to come on Sunday only because from Monday shraadhs were starting. So went on Sunday and got the car in 4 hours
Congratulations, @knrn, on a superfast and a very sensible choice. Your purchase might go down in the Guinness book as the fastest car purchase.

In these times when waiting times go as high as 6 months, you've got a competent car in 4 hours. The S-Cross has been one of my favourites, and one couldn't ask for a better all round quality package at this price point. Here's another one (Our first crossover | 2021 Maruti S-Cross 1.5L Zeta MT Review).

Last edited by vigsom : 21st September 2021 at 06:20.
vigsom is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st September 2021, 08:19   #222
BHPian

Took delivery of S Cross Alpha last month from Kalyani Motors Bangalore. The car is really nice and VFM, although I seriously miss the punch of the erstwhile 1.6 Diesel. Still at this price point, it's an excellent choice IMO. The Suzuki K15B is a gem and the bottom end torque is lovely. A very practical motor.

Drove to a tyre shop immediately post delivery and got the pathetic Elanzos swapped out for Continental UC6s. Must say it was an excellent decision. The Contis are as good as the Primacy series of Michelin.

Maruti S-Cross 1.5L Petrol : Official Review-img20210722wa0022.jpg

Maruti S-Cross 1.5L Petrol : Official Review-img20210723wa0002.jpg

Maruti S-Cross 1.5L Petrol : Official Review-img20210723wa0031.jpg

Before I could even think of getting it waxed or protected, the car started accumulating scratches and NEXA Blue is pathetic at hiding them. It also bore the wrath of some kittens who tried to rip apart it's fender. It was then I decided to get it detailed since DBHPian Leoshashi convinced me that the scratches weren't that deep, and a good detailing studio should be able to take all the scratches out.

Maruti S-Cross 1.5L Petrol : Official Review-img20210730wa0061.jpg

Maruti S-Cross 1.5L Petrol : Official Review-img20210815wa0006.jpg

Maruti S-Cross 1.5L Petrol : Official Review-img20210815wa0007.jpg

Got the vulnerable areas protected by PPF while the entire car got a coat of Ceramic coating.

Maruti S-Cross 1.5L Petrol : Official Review-img20210902wa0055.jpg

Maruti S-Cross 1.5L Petrol : Official Review-img20210902wa0056.jpg

Maruti S-Cross 1.5L Petrol : Official Review-img20210906wa0068.jpg

Maruti S-Cross 1.5L Petrol : Official Review-img20210906wa0069.jpg

Maruti S-Cross 1.5L Petrol : Official Review-img20210908wa0007.jpg

Maruti S-Cross 1.5L Petrol : Official Review-img20210908wa0009.jpg

Maruti S-Cross 1.5L Petrol : Official Review-img20210908wa0016.jpg

Maruti S-Cross 1.5L Petrol : Official Review-img20210908wa0017.jpg

Maruti S-Cross 1.5L Petrol : Official Review-img20210908wa0022.jpg

Maruti S-Cross 1.5L Petrol : Official Review-img20210908wa0043.jpg

Maruti S-Cross 1.5L Petrol : Official Review-img20210908wa0044.jpg

Maruti S-Cross 1.5L Petrol : Official Review-img20210908wa0045.jpg

Maruti S-Cross 1.5L Petrol : Official Review-img20210908wa0046.jpg

Maruti S-Cross 1.5L Petrol : Official Review-img20210908wa0047.jpg

Also got TPH's Pilot Series car cover to preserve the finish in the longer run. Service of TPH was pathetic but will leave that for it's own dedicated thread.

Maruti S-Cross 1.5L Petrol : Official Review-img20210916wa0028.jpg

Maruti S-Cross 1.5L Petrol : Official Review-img20210916wa0029.jpg

Maruti S-Cross 1.5L Petrol : Official Review-img20210916wa0030.jpg

Maruti S-Cross 1.5L Petrol : Official Review-img20210916wa0031.jpg

Maruti S-Cross 1.5L Petrol : Official Review-img20210916wa0032.jpg

Maruti S-Cross 1.5L Petrol : Official Review-img20210916wa0033.jpg

Maruti S-Cross 1.5L Petrol : Official Review-img20210916wa0034.jpg

Maruti S-Cross 1.5L Petrol : Official Review-img20210916wa0035.jpg

In all, very happy with the purchase and have already driven close to 3000 km.
MAKMADDY17 is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 21st September 2021, 11:30   #223
Senior - BHPian

Seems to be raining S-Crosses on the forum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAKMADDY17 View Post
Took delivery of S Cross Alpha last month from Kalyani Motors Bangalore. The car is really nice and VFM, although I seriously miss the punch of the erstwhile 1.6 Diesel. Still at this price point, it's an excellent choice IMO. The Suzuki K15B is a gem and the bottom end torque is lovely. A very practical motor.
Congrats on the new car.
Top-end must have been 15L in Bangalore, I guess.

Incidentally, accompanied my sister to Nexa Cochin last week to TD Ignis as a replacement for her Alto. She rejected the Ignis saying it doesn't seem to her to be much of an upgrade (space-wise) from her Alto. Asked her to TD the Baleno and S-Cross and boy was she floored with the Cross.

Remember the same thing happening years ago when we went to TD the Ignis and wifey was floored by the SCross (looks & space - she didn't drive it).
supremeBaleno is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st September 2021, 21:10   #224

Quote:
Everyone in my hospital and the showroom were shocked that how can you get a new car in 4 hours flat without any booking or arrangements or papers.
@knrn, wow! Don't think even the DC Comics superhero Flash can beat this. Congrats!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAKMADDY17 View Post
Took delivery of S Cross Alpha last month from Kalyani Motors Bangalore.
@MAKMADDY17, Congrats on your sweet ride - it looks dazzling. How long did you have to wait to take delivery? Asking because we booked Zeta AT about 10 days ago; we were told it will take 4-6 weeks for allotment.

Our finalists were Nexa Blue and Premium Silver:

Maruti S-Cross 1.5L Petrol : Official Review-blue-vs-silver.jpg

Since I'm utterly clueless about colors, asked my wife to decide - she picked the Silver:

Maruti S-Cross 1.5L Petrol : Official Review-winner-silver-1.jpg
Maruti S-Cross 1.5L Petrol : Official Review-winner-silver-2.jpg
esc2break is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2021, 00:31   #225
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
Congrats on the new car.
Top-end must have been 15L in Bangalore, I guess.
I paid around Rs. 13.5L on road Bangalore, post all consumer offers. Mine is Alpha MT variant.

Quote:
@MAKMADDY17, Congrats on your sweet ride - it looks dazzling. How long did you have to wait to take delivery? Asking because we booked Zeta AT about 10 days ago; we were told it will take 4-6 weeks for allotment.
I was given a similar time frame, but the car came on 12th day post booking. May be because in Bangalore, most of the demand is for Zeta and Alpha AT variants.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks