Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 22nd September 2021, 06:50   #226
BHPian

Re: Maruti S-Cross 1.5L Petrol : Official Review

Thanks @vigsom.

And yes. It seems to be raining s cross on the forum. I mean a 4 metre plus car at less than 11 lacs on road is actually an astonishing package. A lot of people have been asking me how I got it so quick so I thought I will reveal the secret behind the quick buy.

First, I took loan from HDFC bank and I have a good standing with them since I have my home loan from them too. Secondly I have been visiting the Nexa showroom for more than a year taking test drives and checking out offers. So the RM there became a good friend.

Saturday night at 11 I called up the Nexa RM and asked do they have any cars in the inventory. The Nexa showroom is a part of Lovely motors here and they have a huge complex which houses Nexa, Maruti arena, KTM, Bajaj, Hero, Honda and one more agency I can’t recall now. And they have two such facilities here. The RM told me that they have 2 zetas lying in the yard, a gray and a white. I said that I will arrange the payments provided if he can give me a car on Sunday. He said that if payment is cleared in total, he can give me the car. The paperwork can be done on Monday. Next I called up the manager of the HDFC BANK. Nice of him to pick my call at 11.15 in the night. He said that he can release the payment since I already held eligibility at the bank. Just send me a pic of car delivery and a an email of the demand letter from showroom. I will see the rest. He said.

So next day Sunday after hospital rounds I reached the showroom at 2. Deposited 2.5 lacs downpayment. The car was in the stockyard. The RM then talked to the bank manager and within half an hour, the remainder amount D.O. Letter was e mailed to showroom. Now the RM talked to the GM and requested that mine was a special case. You don’t get such Customers everyday he told his GM. And all the payment is received. The GM okayed the handout. The car was washed wiped and parked in the delivery area. Pics taken and I sent them via WhatsApp to the bank manager that indeed I am buying a car. The manger sent an ok and voila- the car was handed over to me. Yesterday I went to the showroom and all the paperwork was done and I was handed everything. I forgot to mention that I had carried the team bhp pdi checklist. Checked the car before delivery. Again during paperwork I had the checklist to see what documents to get. They got the car registered and took a paper print out of the registration number. The HSRP will arrive in 2-3 days. Needless to say that both the showroom authorities and the Bank employees took an extra effort in my case and that’s how I got the car. I had read such stories but to be a part of one- I felt like I was the hero of my own movie.

The best part- the showroom owner it seems was a little furious with the staff but since all payment was clear there was technically no glitch. Tuesday evening my phone got bombarded with messages for car booking, allotments and loan approvals.

The owner of the showroom told that he wanted to meet me in person just to be sure of everything. He was quite enquiring of me when I met him but after a 15 minutes discussion( this was Monday evening when I had gone to get papers), he said- I thought that you must be a big shot to have done everything so quickly but you are a young bloke. He complimented me for my friendly and polite nature and said that his staff made a right choice by rushing up the formalities. Also he mentioned that customers like me came once a blue moon and it was a pleasure meeting me. I thanked him and said that your team should be praised for the work they have done. So this was how the entire cookie crumbled and got eaten too. Now when I think about this- I laugh. Indeed- God was kind to me.

The car is driving well. Not been able to take her out on a highway since I didn’t have all the papers till yesterday evening. So will hold my observations.

Thanks to the forum and brethren here. I have learned so much that my mind had the clarity of a sparkling sapphire while talking and dealing with the executives in what and how I wanted all things.

Cheers.
knrn is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2021, 12:04   #227
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artyom View Post
I have heard that the AT variant is noisy after 100. Is that true?
Owners of AT variant kindly share your thoughts on the above query as it might be a deal-breaker for us. Apart from that long-term reliability reviews of the AT gearbox would be appreciated..
Go for it. I got one for my 62 year old dad and he's found his newfound love for driving at his age! I too drive it way to often as I love the way it builds up speeds.

It's wonderfully refined and the gearing is well spaced. Though it's a 4AT unit, the rpms at 120 is just about 2600 which makes it super relaxed.
No, it's not noisy. Rather the tyres are! The UX royals are on the noisier side as the compounds are hard.

Go for it without blinking an eye. It's a potent cruiser and very capable of daft overtakes. Bottom-line, it's a very enjoyable motor to cruise around in!
advenk999 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2021, 15:22   #228
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artyom View Post
Folks I am planning to buy the AT version for my dad and have read a lot of reviews. Overall the impression I get is positive especially from the build quality and other factors as well.
I have heard that the AT variant is noisy after 100. Is that true?
The transmission should be bullet proof. It is 1990s technology after all.
It works fine for me, and the engine is a gem in terms of its linear response and ability to make quick overtakes.
It is a bit of a laggard when fully loaded while climbing ghats, but nothing that can’t be addressed by turning off “OD” mode.

NVH is high, but that is mostly due to the tires.
Will update this group when I replace the stock tires on my vehicle.
Mustang Sammy is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 25th September 2021, 07:34   #229
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by advenk999 View Post
Rather the tyres are! The UX royals are on the noisier side as the compounds are hard.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang Sammy View Post
NVH is high, but that is mostly due to the tires.
I agree. I replaced the Stock JKs immediately post delivery with Continental UC6s, and what a difference it has made to the road noise and comfort aspect. I'm a sedate driver so haven't really pushed it to it's limits to test the grip, but the comfort and NVH is vastly improved.

Maruti S-Cross 1.5L Petrol : Official Review-img20210908wa0009.jpg
MAKMADDY17 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 27th September 2021, 19:42   #230
BHPian

Just changed my tires to Michelin 4PSTs. The ride quality and NVH levels are miles ahead of the JKs. Should’ve done it the day I picked up the vehicle.
Mustang Sammy is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 27th September 2021, 19:58   #231
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang Sammy View Post
Just changed my tires to Michelin 4PSTs. The ride quality and NVH levels are miles ahead of the JKs. Should’ve done it the day I picked up the vehicle.
Brilliant! How is the supply of Michelins these days? What batch tyres did you get?

Regards,
Shashi
Old 27th September 2021, 22:54   #232
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoshashi View Post
Brilliant! How is the supply of Michelins these days? What batch tyres did you get?

Regards,
Shashi
Week 16, 2021. Many places in Pune don’t have them in stock though.
Mustang Sammy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th September 2021, 05:16   #233
BHPian

Hello

How are the new S-Cross headlights? How do they perform? Specifically the high beam.

Are they as good as the Brezza's dual projector setup? Has anyone here upgraded the high beam bulbs in their car?

Thanks!
Old 30th September 2021, 13:21   #234

Just saw Maruti's September Ex-Showroom price increases (Chennai) for S-Cross. Thought this is interesting:
  • Sigma, Sigma+, Delta, and Alpha price increase: Rs.20,000/- (Alpha price increase is actually Rs.500 more; ignoring that for simplicity)
  • Zeta price increase: Rs.4,000/-
On the AT front:
  • Delta AT and Alpha AT price increase: Rs.16,500/- (Again, Alpha AT price increase is actually Rs.500 more; ignoring that for simplicity)
  • Zeta AT price increase: Rs.500/-
My simplistic takeaways:
  1. Maruti knows Zeta is more popular and is making an effort to keep its price attractive even after the price increase.
  2. Finally Maruti is reducing the premium on this really old (but dependable) AT just by a wee bit.
Your thoughts?
esc2break is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2021, 16:31   #235

Hello guys,
Booked Zeta variant today for 11.05 lakhs on road. Hope my choice proves right. After test driving almost all of the cars within 15 lakh bracket, Scross is the only car which seems to speak my language.
MichaelBallack is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th October 2021, 19:43   #236
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadMonkey View Post
Hello

How are the new S-Cross headlights? How do they perform? Specifically the high beam.

Are they as good as the Brezza's dual projector setup? Has anyone here upgraded the high beam bulbs in their car?

Thanks!
I have the Halogen setup [Zeta], they are Ok-Ok, the beam focus seems to be fine, but the bulb surely needs an upgrade. I used to run the 100/90 regular reflectors on my ex-Punto, these are comparable at best. It depends on what you are comparing them with, I felt the LEDs on the Alpha provided much better visibility.
anand.shankar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th October 2021, 22:07   #237
BHPian

Hi All,

I currently own a 2012 Honda City which has done only 67000 kms. Now that its reaching the 10 year mark, I am looking to replace it. I am not necessarily looking at an upgrade as I havent really been able to find a worthy successor within the 15 lakh mark. I personally find shelling out 18-20+ lakhs for the current crop of cars such as the Seltos, Creta, Hector etc to be a bit outrageous.

I am not looking for any specific body type (not a hatchback). My budget is around 13-14 lakhs and the car has to be a petrol automatic.

My usage is primarily city specific with 2-3 trips a year on the highways (Pune, Nasik) at the most. I am the only driver in the family and a 5 seater is more than adequate for our needs, hence not specifically looking for MPVs.

The options which Ive shortlisted are the S-Cross zeta auto, Rapid Ambition AT and after going through a few threads on TBHP, the XL6 Auto Zeta/Alpha AT.

All these options fall in the 13-14 lakh price bucket. Another option which I’m looking at is a preowned Altis. MY16-17 examples are currently quoted for around 8-10 lakhs in Mumbai (running around 50-80k, single owner)

I have test driven all of the above except the Altis and given the routes I test drove on, I couldn’t find too much of a difference in the scross, xl6 or rapid. Do note that I am a sedate driver and convenience of an auto tranny is of utmost importance.

Also, considering the primary usage in city traffic (typically Mumbai’s b2b traffic) not too keen on DSG’s or DCTs, given their reliability concerns and heating problems. No AMTs either - too jerky in the models I’ve test driven (Nexon, Ignis, xuv 300 diesel)

Looking for some guidance to help me finalize.
JayKavadi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th October 2021, 22:37   #238
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayKavadi View Post
Looking for some guidance to help me finalize.
IMO its a question of sedan/SUV/MUV first.

If you want the extra GC, higher seating then I suggest the S-Cross over the XL since you mentioned that you don't need the extra space.

If you prefer the sedans then the Rapid is good but due for a change this year and expect higher maintenance costs of Skoda over the Honda. And since you didn't find it any different over the others in your TDs then skip.

I don't know much about the Altis so will skip it, someone else can answer better.
But from a common sense standpoint if you're changing your City in 10 years why would you want to buy a 5 year old Corolla (which is discontinued) just keep the City ?

Why not TD the 5th gen City too the base AT would fit in your budget ?

Last edited by shancz : 8th October 2021 at 22:41. Reason: grammar
Old 10th October 2021, 15:00   #239

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelBallack View Post
Hello guys,
Booked Zeta variant today for 11.05 lakhs on road. Hope my choice proves right. After test driving almost all of the cars within 15 lakh bracket, Scross is the only car which seems to speak my language.
Welcome to the "Booked S-Cross and Waiting" club. I booked Zeta AT about 4 weeks ago, and am part of the club.

Can I ask what Discount did you get? Asking because - last month when I booked, the dealership offered Rs.15K Consumer discount + Rs.10K Retail discount = Rs.25K total discount. But they said the actual Retail discount will be what Nexa announces for October (when the car is expected to be delivered). I'm guessing they knew in October Nexa will reduce the Retail discount - sure enough, Nexa seems to have made the Retail discount zero for October 2021 (i.e., total discount is only Rs.15K).
esc2break is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th October 2021, 19:25   #240
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esc2break View Post
But they said the actual Retail discount will be what Nexa announces for October (when the car is expected to be delivered). I'm guessing they knew in October Nexa will reduce the Retail discount - sure enough, Nexa seems to have made the Retail discount zero for October 2021 (i.e., total discount is only Rs.15K).
That's weird, I haven't bought a car recently but IMO that should be on the date of booking.

Assume they have 2000 cars lying in stock which they want to push off. What's stopping them from getting all the bookings and let's say they get 2500 bookings they can deny all discounts since the model is in demand so even if someone cancels their stock will fly off?

Maybe its a norm by the dealership but doesn't seem fair.

Last edited by shancz : 10th October 2021 at 19:51.
shancz is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed