Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th October 2021, 13:43   #241
BHPian

Re: Maruti S-Cross 1.5L Petrol : Official Review

Hello all, apologies for the long post but want some advice.

I currently have Swift VDi April 2012, which due to 10 years restriction in Delhi, will complete its NCR run in next 6 months. Hence finally decided to take the plunge to replace it (I was hoping, rather too optimistically, that Delhi government will get the Supreme court to amend the ruling on restricting life of diesel cars from 10 years to 15 years, in line with the new Motor Vehicle Policy introduced by Government of India). This car is only 77,000 Kms single hand driven, first owner and was in great condition. So was in no mood to replace it but now legal compulsion. Orange book value is coming at Rs. 2.52 Lakhs

Now for the new car, had my heart fixed on Seltos HTK+ iMT (~Rs.14.2 lakhs OTR Delhi) but with 4 months waiting period. Other option is HTK variant (~Rs.12.5 lakhs OTR Delhi but missing many features) with actual waiting period between 1 to 1.5 months. Had that 3 star safety rating in the back of my mind all the time. Along with brake issues reported by some of the users, it became a deadly combo and thus delayed booking it.

Value for Swift was quoted by Kia to be Rs. 2.25 lakhs after some negotiation. No year-end or other discounts are offered.

As I was also evaluating Maruti cars like Brezza, S-cross and even XL6, I got the car appraised by few of the Maruti showrooms also. I want to avoid getting in line with the waitlist with Maruti and searching for cars available in stock. One has Brezza Zxi+ (MT) available in stock but quoting only Rs. 2.2 lakhs for the old swift (along with additional 10k exchange bonus and 5k discount).

One Nexa showroom has S-cross Zeta (MT) available in stock with Rs. 11.5 lakhs OTR and quoting Rs. 2.5 lakhs for the old swift (along with 25k exchange bonus and 15k discount). Total exchange value is coming to 2.75 lakhs excluding 15k discount, which I think is very good. So made the booking yesterday for S-cross and can take the delivery on Thursday.

Had evaluated Nexon, Venue, Sonet and Creta also (I know they are different segments but I had a budget set in mind between 10-14 lakhs and hard stop at 14.5 lakhs, before exchange). In the end it is heart vs head. Heart says Seltos (with 4 month waiting and major safety issues) and head says S-cross (readily available and good exchange value for old car).

So before moving further with S-cross, would like the friendly advice of this forum.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by ontheway : 12th October 2021 at 14:03. Reason: Missed mentioning Scross model
ontheway is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 12th October 2021, 22:38   #242

Quote:
Originally Posted by esc2break View Post
Welcome to the "Booked S-Cross and Waiting" club. I booked Zeta AT about 4 weeks ago, and am part of the club.

Can I ask what Discount did you get? Asking because - last month when I booked, the dealership offered Rs.15K Consumer discount + Rs.10K Retail discount = Rs.25K total discount. But they said the actual Retail discount will be what Nexa announces for October (when the car is expected to be delivered). I'm guessing they knew in October Nexa will reduce the Retail discount - sure enough, Nexa seems to have made the Retail discount zero for October 2021 (i.e., total discount is only Rs.15K).
Pardon the delay.
On road Price: 11,55,980
Consumer Offer: 15000
Corporate Offer: 10000
Additional offer: 10000
Exchange Bonus: 15000
Net: 11,05,980/-

When I enquired with my SA he informed that they have to provide the discounts which was present at the time of booking. Hope this helps
MichaelBallack is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th October 2021, 21:41   #243
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheway View Post
- apologies for the long post but want some advice.
- In the end it is heart vs head. Heart says Seltos (with 4 month waiting and major safety issues) and head says S-cross (readily available and good exchange value for old car).
- Don't apologize for posting, that's what we do here

- In your case you have listed price, waiting period and safety as your key criteria.
Price : Shumi from Powerdrift said something on the lines of, the price stops to matter the moment you step out of the showroom so buy what you will love driving.
Waiting period : That's for you to decide
Safety : The Seltos hasn't done well and the S-Cross hasn't been rated yet but is expected to do well lifting from its overseas tests but that's an educated guess.

If you want to buy a fuss-free crossover with good dynamics which can last you 15 years with a peace of mind experience, its the S-Cross.
If you want the latest features and options in a SUV design form and wow factor, its the Seltos.

I know this isn't helping you a lot so I can only recommend a calm though about the reasons you mentioned and a long TD of both the cars back to back and buy the one which one keeps you the happiest.
And whichever you buy, please do a thorough PDI.

Last edited by shancz : 13th October 2021 at 22:02. Reason: ccl
shancz is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th October 2021, 22:12   #244
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shancz View Post
I know this isn't helping you a lot so I can only recommend a calm though about the reasons you mentioned and a long TD of both the cars back to back and buy the one which one keeps you the happiest.
And whichever you buy, please do a thorough PDI.
Thank you for structuring the sea of thoughts which were going in my mind. The closing-in of 10 years life with my Swift was a big factor, so finally made partial payment for S-cross (Zeta) which is readily available in stock.

4 months waiting on Seltos HTK+ iMT, which is also uncertain due to constant semiconductor shortages, would have been too much of a headache. Consoling the heart with "may be next time" .

Hoping to get decent experience with the S-cross.
ontheway is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th October 2021, 23:49   #245
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
- so finally made partial payment for S-cross (Zeta) which is readily available in stock.

- 4 months waiting on Seltos HTK+ iMT, which is also uncertain due to constant semiconductor shortages, would have been too much of a headache. Consoling the heart with "may be next time" .

- Hoping to get decent experience with the S-cross.
- Congrats for the new car, that would be one of the fastest deliveries.

- True that waiting period kills the excitement and a potential headache nonetheless.
In 3-5 years, expecting the semiconductor shortage would've been ironed out and at least 2-3 new cars to choose from, a 5 star rated Seltos maybe ?
And as the strong point of MSIL cars their resale is excellent if you find the perfect new car and want to switch.

- That's another strong point of the S-Cross (our Transformer), there's nothing to hope. Robust, planted, refined, doesn't set your pulse racing but doesn't give you a heartache either

Good choice of car and model, do the PDI and enjoy the drives

PS : Goes without saying do share the pics and experience

Last edited by shancz : 13th October 2021 at 23:58. Reason: ps
shancz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th October 2021, 07:01   #246
KPR
BANNED

Actually it is raining SCross all over India and by Bhpians. Looking at Creta, Seltos pricing many buyers have started to look at Zeta variant which retails at around 11L. The only missing in SCross is the 'sun roof' which kids in family love. Hope MS come out with a measure from Zeta S Cross onwards if it doesn't affect structural safety. I see SCross as a true upgrade from sub 4m cars at VFM pricing.
KPR is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th October 2021, 08:19   #247
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPR View Post
Actually it is raining SCross all over India and by Bhpians.
True, the number of BHPians who have ended up buying the S-Cross after experiencing it for real rather than the specsheet has led me to name it our Transformer.
Cases where it wasn't even in consideration to it becoming the final purchase decision make me believe it has supernatural powers

One of those cars which grow on you and most importantly it appeals to multiple categories of buyers.
- people migrating from sedans due to GC issues
- people looking for a VFM CSUV/SUV

I on the other hand have been looking at it as a large hatch with good GC to match our realities. The rear view and stance somehow reminds me of the Golf(Mk6).

Last edited by shancz : 14th October 2021 at 08:23. Reason: rms
shancz is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 15th October 2021, 14:05   #248

Quote:
One Nexa showroom has S-cross Zeta (MT) available in stock with Rs. 11.5 lakhs OTR and quoting Rs. 2.5 lakhs for the old swift (along with 25k exchange bonus and 15k discount). Total exchange value is coming to 2.75 lakhs excluding 15k discount, which I think is very good. So made the booking yesterday for S-cross and can take the delivery on Thursday.

Had evaluated Nexon, Venue, Sonet and Creta also (I know they are different segments but I had a budget set in mind between 10-14 lakhs and hard stop at 14.5 lakhs, before exchange). In the end it is heart vs head. Heart says Seltos (with 4 month waiting and major safety issues) and head says S-cross (readily available and good exchange value for old car).
@ontheway, my belated congratulations on booking and opportunity to take delivery of S-Cross so quickly.

Indeed, one of the S-Cross reviews I read (don't remember where though) said:
Quote:
The petrol S-Cross is a car you buy with your head, not your heart.
Also, it does seem like vis-a-vis the Orange Book value, you got a very good exchange value for your old car.

Guessing you would have taken delivery of the new S-Cross by now. If so, would also hazard a guess that your heart has started warming up to the S-Cross.
esc2break is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th October 2021, 15:18   #249
BHPian

Quote:
- Congrats for the new car, that would be one of the fastest deliveries.

- True that waiting period kills the excitement and a potential headache nonetheless.
In 3-5 years, expecting the semiconductor shortage would've been ironed out and at least 2-3 new cars to choose from, a 5 star rated Seltos maybe ?
And as the strong point of MSIL cars their resale is excellent if you find the perfect new car and want to switch.

- That's another strong point of the S-Cross (our Transformer), there's nothing to hope. Robust, planted, refined, doesn't set your pulse racing but doesn't give you a heartache either

Good choice of car and model, do the PDI and enjoy the drives

PS : Goes without saying do share the pics and experience
Thank you for the wishes and some words of encouragement on picking the S-Cross as these are really required post-purchase in such difficult decisions . Indeed delivery was pretty quick. I think the ready availability of S-cross was the final push to go for it. Booked it on Monday and brought it home on Thursday. I Will share the detailed experience soon as right now stuck with some commitments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPR View Post
I see SCross as a true upgrade from sub 4m cars at VFM pricing.
I second that. It is truly VFM.

Quote:
True, the number of BHPians who have ended up buying the S-Cross after experiencing it for real rather than the specsheet has led me to name it our Transformer.
Cases where it wasn't even in consideration to it becoming the final purchase decision make me believe it has supernatural powers
Same thing happened with me also. I did not even took test drive of S-cross initially when I went to Nexa, comparing it with Seltos or even Nexon, and looking at missing rear AC vents and lack of enough charging ports (who wants a charging port in the boot but not in the backseat?!).

Quote:
@ontheway, my belated congratulations on booking and opportunity to take delivery of S-Cross so quickly.

Also, it does seem like vis-a-vis the Orange Book value, you got a very good exchange value for your old car.

Guessing you would have taken delivery of the new S-Cross by now. If so, would also hazard a guess that your heart has started warming up to the S-Cross.
Thank you. Yes, I am satisfied with the final exchange value which I got, though the showroom had clearly said that then there will be no scope of any further negotiation in insurance quote etc. which I accepted.

I have driven some 50 Kms yesterday, and I loved the driving behaviour of the car in the city. Audio system's sound is also decent. The 2 major drawbacks I found in my short ride yesterday, as mentioned above also, were lack of charging ports for both the front seats and the back seats and missing rear AC vents. And both these issues one will face everyday and Maruti doesn't need to do major overhaul to include these. Other than that, its a great product.
ontheway is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th October 2021, 16:29   #250
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The 2 major drawbacks I found in my short ride yesterday, as mentioned above also, were lack of charging ports for both the front seats and the back seats and missing rear AC vents. And both these issues one will face everyday and Maruti doesn't need to do major overhaul to include these.
I am assuming you have a 12V socket at the front, use a good dual port charger. But no charging socket at the rear seats its quite weird, and beyond comprehension.

Yup their "customer want" argument seems to be falling apart in this case. Hope they introduce an accessory for existing owners too. Do remember to mention that when they ask for feedback.

To me a white S-Cross in a front-side profile looks particularly hypnotic
Check out the pic in this post (CVT Automatic car for dad - Honda Jazz vs Toyota Yaris).

Take your time, more important is the drives, posts can wait

Last edited by shancz : 15th October 2021 at 16:39. Reason: add link
shancz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th October 2021, 11:23   #251
BHPian

Quote:
I am assuming you have a 12V socket at the front, use a good dual port charger. But no charging socket at the rear seats its quite weird, and beyond comprehension.
S-Cross has only one USB port in the dashboard for Apple Carplay/ Android Auto connect with the ICE. And only one 12V charging port inside the armrest storage. Guess they have taken mobile companies' advice "don't use mobile while its charging" too seriously .

The last 12V socket is in the boot. I am pretty sure I will not be able to use it unless I think something creative.
ontheway is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th October 2021, 13:09   #252
BHPian

Hi all,

This is my first post in team bhp.

I'm searching for a new Petrol Automatic CSUV.

The following is my scenario:

1) I am currently owning a 2012 model Indica Vista Diesel Quadrajet(LS) which has barely run 43000 km till date.
2) This car is registered in my home state, Kerala. I am currently located in Chennai. I am having a transferable job all over India mostly in Tier I and II cities and sometimes in Tier III towns.
3) In about 6 months time I will be shifting to Mumbai where I presume to be posted for 3-6 years.
4) Though I was able to manage in Chennai with my Kerala registration, fearing stricter police monitoring, I do not intend to transfer my car RC to Mumbai and use it there.
5) Moreover, I intend to travel 20km up and down in Mumbai traffic daily and occasional (once in a month highway small outstation trips<500 km) and hence prefer a petrol automatic to my manual diesel whose clutch master and slave cylinders had to be replaced 3 times in 43000kms.
6) I am a sedate driver and doesn't want to indulge in spirited driving.
7) Coming from the spacious Vista, I prefer a roomy car with adequate rear space for 5 and enough boot space for outstation trips.
8) I have driven once an AMT Alto packed to the brim in Kerala highway for around 80 kms and did not find any issue with it. So I think the convenience of an AMT is okay for me.
9) Budget upto 14L on road in Mumbai. I plan to buy after March 2022, hopefully I may get an upfront relief due to BH registration getting implemented by that time in Mumbai, though I am not factoring it here.
10) I plan to keep my new car for at least 10 years.(Not going for the top end model VX in my last purchase is one of the reasons for this upgrade).
11) Based on above requirements, I have shortlisted the following:
a) TATA Nexon-
Pros- The safety and other comfort features including excellent music system.
Cons- After Sales Service- Had a couple of bad experiences with Dealers 4-5 years back though I could successfully get them resolved immediately( same day or next) with one single email to TATA each time.
b)Maruti S Cross-
Pros- a better and premium offering compared to my next choice-Brezza- as per users and experts in this forum. Better built quality and spacious.
Cons- Dated model and interiors, less features, 4 speed TC tranny. Nexa service stations having less presence across India compared to Arena.
c) Maruti Brezza-
Pros- Best selling product in CSUV segment. Hence availability of spares and service across India is guaranteed. Good safety.
Cons- Again dated model and interiors, less features, 4 speed TC tranny.
d) No Hyundai/Kia- due to lesser crash ratings and ever increasing service costs as per reviews in this forum.
e) No VW/Skoda/Nissan/Renault- due to lesser pan India presence.
f) Mahindra XUV 300???- Are they having PAN India service centres? How about the ASS quality? Other than the boot space and highest price and above concerns, it seems to be a good choice.

I would be needing the new car by April 2022, any chance of new Scross/Brezza being launched by that time?

Kindly advise on the above requirements.

Regards,
Arun Babu.R
Old 16th October 2021, 15:13   #253
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Guess they have taken mobile companies' advice "don't use mobile while its charging" too seriously .
The last 12V socket is in the boot. I am pretty sure I will not be able to use it unless I think something creative.
seems like it, probably this was the norm when they launched it but didn't update it.

- Front 12V : Is there a way to route a cable from the socket to the rear if needed ? I used Command cord clips to route the cables in our wagonR since MSIL has found one of the weirdest location to give a 12V socket.
You can stick the clip on the side of the armrest to route it through ?
- Rear 12V : Probably find a gap or drill a hole in the rear parcel tray to route a couple of wires through.

Just thinking out loud here, will look a bit weird but should get the job done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arun Babu View Post
1. Are they having PAN India service centres? How about the ASS quality?
2. Other than the boot space and highest price and above concerns, it seems to be a good choice.
3. I would be needing the new car by April 2022, any chance of new Scross/Brezza being launched by that time?
Welcome to TBHP

1. Yes, I am not sure why would you think otherwise, Mahindra has a decent service coverage second only to Maruti, I guess similar to Hyundai or better due to its rural models.
You can search for service center for every model : WithYouHamesha

2. Yes, your requirement for 5 adults is spot on for the XUV300 but the boot space is something you have to see in person if it works.
My only gripe with AMT is that it doesn't justify its place in any 10+ lakh car, not sure about the Mahindra AMT, check out ownership reviews to get a better idea.

3. I doubt it. I am guessing that the next would be the impending launches for the new Celerio, then the Baleno or the Jimny but not sure.

Based on what you have already mentioned can't really add much more to it but to TD the cars yourself.
Festive or year end discounts might be a bit low this time due to the chip shortage, but a guess.

Your point on dated interiors is absolutely valid.
Since you keep your cars long, would be better to wait out the festive season in case some new launches come up.

Last edited by shancz : 16th October 2021 at 15:20. Reason: ccl
shancz is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th October 2021, 20:44   #254
BHPian

Quote:

Welcome to TBHP

1. Yes, I am not sure why would you think otherwise, Mahindra has a decent service coverage second only to Maruti, I guess similar to Hyundai or better due to its rural models.
You can search for service center for every model : WithYouHamesha
Thank you for your suggestion. I was pondering on the ASS quality and reach of TATA and Mahindra and now it seems they are at similar levels with reach next only to Maruti thanks to their rural portfolio. Though the resale value of both are nowhere as compared to a Maruti. I shall soon venture upon test driving all the four - Nexon, Brezza, S Cross and XUV 300 and come back to share my thoughts.
Arun Babu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st October 2021, 17:22   #255
BHPian

Quote:
Welcome to the "Booked S-Cross and Waiting" club. I booked Zeta AT about 4 weeks ago, and am part of the club.
I booked the Alpha AT yesterday with the same 4 to 6 week delivery commit and as usual, they said they will push to get allocation at the earliest.

Have you gotten delivery of your vehicle yet?
asmr is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks