Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 28th December 2021, 21:27   #316
BHPian

Re: Maruti S-Cross 1.5L Petrol : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaddleShifter View Post
I don’t have anything valueable to contribute w.r.t. the maruti provided suspension but in a S-Cross WhatsApp group that I am a member for the past one year, there is a sub set of owners who are simply not satisfied with the OEM suspension.

There is a solution for that but it involves putting aftermarket suspension that will cost around 35k. The wonderful KYB suspension for S-Cross is now available at Boodmo. Some of the early adopters got it from Singapore for their diesel variants and have been using them for atleast 2 years with complete satisfaction.

Front:
Rear:
3438005 x 2

I am not sure if the KYB part number is common for both petrol and diesel S-Cross.
I wouldn’t be surprised if Maruti was using low grade parts on their Indian models. By the way the new car that I tested last weekend drove just fine. My vehicle’s suspension seems to have degraded rapidly thanks to the off-roading I do on the Mumbai-Pune expressway </sarc>
Mustang Sammy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th January 2022, 06:31   #317

Hey Everyone, this is my first post here and I was just curious as to why no one has really compared the Scross which Suzuki sells abroad vs the version which they/maruti sells in India? The on road price difference isn’t too much. I drive a top spec Scross, on road price in INR approx 14 lakhs. Purchased in Feb 2020

I really do like the Scross, thought of recommending it to my folks back in India, but it’s a completely different car there. Reminds me of the ‘export quality’ tag on some food products, indicating that food for domestic consumption is inferior in some way

Shouldn’t Maruti/Suzuki customers be demanding more parity? If they can provide a ton of features at a reasonable price to foreign buyers, why not in the local market?
Conductor is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th January 2022, 13:03   #318
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang Sammy View Post
I wouldn’t be surprised if Maruti was using low grade parts on their Indian models. By the way the new car that I tested last weekend drove just fine. My vehicle’s suspension seems to have degraded rapidly thanks to the off-roading I do on the Mumbai-Pune expressway </sarc>
Update: Every time I start the car after it has been parked overnight, the rear of the vehicle lifts up with a loud creaking sound when I put the transmission into "Drive". As expected, Maruti has no answer to this.
Old 7th January 2022, 16:44   #319
BHPian

Quote:
Update: Every time I start
I guess it is the parking brake not releasing even though you release the lever.

Last edited by CrossLife : 7th January 2022 at 16:46.
CrossLife is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th January 2022, 16:47   #320
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Update: Every time I start the car after it has been parked overnight, the rear of the vehicle lifts up with a loud creaking sound when I put the transmission into "Drive". As expected, Maruti has no answer to this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrossLife View Post
I guess it is the parking brake not releasing even though you release the lever.
Observed a similar trait in the XL6 AT as well. But it lasts for a brief time.

Regards,
Shashi
Leoshashi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th January 2022, 17:18   #321
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrossLife View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoshashi View Post
Observed a similar trait in the XL6 AT as well. But it lasts for a brief time.

Regards,
Shashi
Thanks guys. The issue didn't occur in the first7-8 months of ownership. It also seems to be worse in cold weather.
Old 7th January 2022, 17:23   #322
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks guys. The issue didn't occur in the first7-8 months of ownership. It also seems to be worse in cold weather.
Since the AT came on 25th December in our family, this one I cannot confirm. It's been there since day 1.
Old 8th January 2022, 20:23   #323
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks guys. The issue didn't occur in the first7-8 months of ownership. It also seems to be worse in cold weather

Yeah, i noticed this in my Zeta AT as well. Slight creak on observation as you shift from P to D where the suspension releases itself. Doesn't seem to be an issue so far. Have reached out to Maruti on this but they dont really have an answer that's convincing. Will observe for sometime and see if this happens in summer as well .
advenk999 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th January 2022, 21:09   #324
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by advenk999 View Post
Yeah, i noticed this in my Zeta AT as well. Slight creak on observation as you shift from P to D where the suspension releases itself. Doesn't seem to be an issue so far. Have reached out to Maruti on this but they dont really have an answer that's convincing. Will observe for sometime and see if this happens in summer as well .
Maruti service engineers (the TSM and others), while polite and showing outward empathy, seem to be trained to refuse to acknowledge issues with their vehicles, especially if is is something subjective like ride quality.
Old 8th January 2022, 22:57   #325
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoshashi View Post
Since the AT came on 25th December in our family, this one I cannot confirm. It's been there since day 1.
Quote:
Originally Posted by advenk999 View Post
If a jerk accompanies the creak sound you guys are referring to, don't worry as it is a common problem in most TC equipped vehicles (this is more pronounced in BoF vehicles) Adopt this practice to eliminate it :

1.) After stopping the car:

A. Engage the handbrakes with the foot-brake pressed.

B. Slot the Gear Lever into P.

C. Release the foot-brake.

2.) While starting the car:

A. Press the foot-brake and slot the gear lever into D/R (basically out of P).

B. Release the handbrake ONLY after Step A is completed.

C. Release the foot-brake.

The above steps are particularly important if the vehicle is parked on an incline/non-flat surface. From what I understood, the entire weight of the vehicle is borne by a small locking pin in the transmission if the gear lever is slotted into P before the handbrake is engaged (I don't exactly recall the mechanics of the same as someone explained it to me a long time ago)

If the above is not your problem, then you need to get your vehicle's checked out because any other creaking sound is not normal from the transmission. Not faced any other noise from the transmission in the 30k done XL6 Automatic.

Last edited by sierrabravo98 : 8th January 2022 at 22:58.
sierrabravo98 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 9th January 2022, 11:53   #326
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AjinkyaP View Post
Congratulations!
1.5L NA with torque converter = bullet-proof reliability.
I felt the creep function in Vitara Brezza AT which comes with same engine and gearbox is more eager than Scross AT.
Even the throttle response too is a tad quicker.
Quite the contrary infact. The gearing feels better spaced and tuned in the S Cross compared to the Brezza. The ratios from 2-3 is where the mid range builds better compared to the Brezza as these ratios hold the revs better.
Brezza does seem slightly sprightly off the line but feels relatively flatter in comparison.
Both cars have extremely capable and good AT boxes, build speeds well and are mighty impressive on the highway!
advenk999 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th January 2022, 18:00   #327

Hello experts, I am in quite a dilemma in choosing between Kushaq and S Cross, need your advice on the same.
I am upgrading from my 2014 Swift ZXI with 57 K on ODO. Main reason to upgrade is to have more boot space and comfortable rear seats for the family. Since traffic in Bangalore will not get any better, I am looking at AT options. Higher GC (> 180 mm) is a must as I travel to my native place quite often where the roads are quite bad. I am happy with 1.2 petrol performance on my Swift, but somewhere inside wished it had more. With strict 14 L budget in mind, started hunting for my next ride. This will be my daily driver (when office resumes).

Cars that did not make the cut.

KIAs and Hyundais – Long waiting period, uninvolving drive. Just hate the design on Venue and new Creta. Turbo engines are out of my budget.
No KIA service centers in tier 2-3 cities. Not impressed with Sonet’s looks

MS Brezza – Did not feel like an upgrade in interior space. Why not S-Cross!!??

Mahindra XUV3OO - AMT gearbox, did not feel like an upgrade in interior space, smaller boot, not a very appealing dashboard (found it too busy)

Honda WRV – Honestly, interiors felt like a downgrade, overall interior space was a disappointment. Not a good-looking car from the outside. Only plus is the refined petrol engine.
No CVT in WRV(?). No display car in the showroom. The TD car was parked in a corner and was very dusty. Felt like the showroom wanted to hide the car out of embarrassment.

Renault Duster – Weird ergonomics. Could not find a perfect driving position. Also, felt it too big a to drive in city. Not a fan of the butch exterior design.

TATA NEXON – AMT gearbox, did not feel like an upgrade in interior space, dark edition had huge waiting period. (off topic, a loud voice announced the drive mode selected, sales rep informed that it’s a feature only in top end, found it hilarious and had a LOL moment).

MG Astor – Long waiting period, negative bias towards MG as a brand. Did not even take a test drive.

Now, the cars that I liked.
VW Taigun, Skoda Kushaq – Liked Kushaq design better, classy and sporty at the same time.
Good discounts on offer on Ambition AT variant. Enjoyed the brief TD of Style AT. Powerful engine paired with butter smoot TC.
Rejected the car initially as the interiors felt like a downgrade to Swift ZXI. Too many hard plastics.
EPC engine failures, which is now fixed with a robust fuel pump. But this still lingered in my mind as the fuel quality in my hometown will not be so good. Stranded in the middle of nowhere with family is a nightmare.

MS S Cross – Zeta AT ticked almost all the boxes. I am not looking for any gimmick features that I would rarely use (read - sunroof, auto headlamps, auto wipers, built in air purifiers etc) so expectations were low when I entered the showroom.
Loved the neutral big hatchback stance. New grill added a bit of character to the overall design.
Interiors looked classy, space was good, nice driving ergonomics, found the perfect driving position instantly.
Took a TD of the car with RM, found the engine to be good. Liner acceleration is very smooth and gear shift is not noticeable (unless if you have an eye on the RPM counter, which I did). Was able to push the car till 60 km/h in a straight line.
It is in varied speeds that TC got confused and took 1-2 secs for the car to get out of the blocks. I think this is manageable once I get used to the TC and plan the accelerations 2-3 secs in advance.
Low speed ride is quite good, car crawls at 10 km/h when I took my foot off the brakes.
Found SHVS to be a gimmick, another moving part in the car that might (potentially) break down. Constant chimes of the battery turning ON/OFF is a bit annoying.
With news of a global facelift launch, I decided to wait till the model was launched in India.
But with Maruti Suzuki being Maruti Suzuki, I have realized that the chances of 1.4 turbo getting launched with the car is very slim. The facelift, if at all when it comes, might be addition of a sunroof, different touchscreen display etc, which is not necessary for me. The new exteriors are not that great looking anyway .
So, booked the Zeta AT, got Jan end as the estimated delivery date. Final price yet to be negotiated.

My dilemma starts here. Skoda showroom guys are very good in pursuing a lead and have been constantly in touch from the past 10 days. They offered a good 50 K discount on the ex-showroom price, 16 K discount on insurance, 15 K corporate discount and 7K discount on accessories.
Total now comes down to 16.9 L.
Had a lengthy chat with Skoda RM and his lead. They have somehow convinced me of another long TD this week.
Questions in front of me
- Is Ambition AT worth the extra 3 L over S Cross for the brand and build quality?
- Is the Tractions Control and ESP which is not present in S Cross that a necessary in India where it does not snow? My Swift does just fine on wet and slippery surfaces (upsized, wider Bridgestone tyres are helpful here I guess)
- On the highway, with 4-5 people constantly on board, and considering the higher kerb weight of S Cross, will 1.5 NA be able to deliver the same performance as Swift 1.2? Need owner’s opinion here as I was not able to reach 80 – 100 km/h in TDs
- Ultimately, with third wave looming large, and another 6-8 months of work from home, should I be considering an upgrade at all?

Last edited by Aditya : 19th January 2022 at 19:20. Reason: Typos
SHANK66 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th January 2022, 19:05   #328
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHANK66 View Post
- Is the Tractions Control and ESP which is not present in S Cross that a necessary in India where it does not snow?
- On the highway, with 4-5 people constantly on board, and considering the higher curb weight of S Cross, will 1.5 NA be able to deliver the same performance as Swift 1.2? Need owner’s opinion here as I was not able to reach 80 – 100 kph in TDs
- Ultimately, with third wave looming large, and another 6-8 months of work from home, should I be considering an upgrade at all?
Traction control and ESP can be useful even in rainy conditions, not just snow. You may not have felt the need for it in the Swift, but such safety features are good to have - you never know when you need it.

1.5 on the S-Cross should be fine. A friend has a XL6 AT, and he has toured with 5 on board. Not reaching 80-100 must be some other issue.

Upgrade or not to ? It's a personal question. The WFH may continue or not - no bets on that. Prices will go up a bit, but by delaying you dont really gain much since the total payment still remains the same, but deferred.

If you want the S-Cross, you could wait for the new version, and see if it give you more features than the current one - though I prefer the looks of this gen than the new one (at least as the new one seen on paper)
condor is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th January 2022, 23:43   #329
BHPian

Quote:
Questions in front of me
- Is Ambition AT worth the extra 3 L over S Cross for the brand and build quality?
- Is the Tractions Control and ESP which is not present in S Cross that a necessary in India where it does not snow? My Swift does just fine on wet and slippery surfaces (upsized, wider Bridgestone tyres are helpful here I guess)
- On the highway, with 4-5 people constantly on board, and considering the higher curb weight of S Cross, will 1.5 NA be able to deliver the same performance as Swift 1.2? Need owner’s opinion here as I was not able to reach 80 – 100 kph in TDs
- Ultimately, with third-wave looming large, and another 6-8 months of work from home, should I be considering an upgrade at all?
-- I think Traction Control and ESP are the most important safety features and must-haves since they help in avoiding accidents in the very first place.
-- I don't think so, 1.5 is already mediocre in performance and along with AT, it will just serve the purpose, I think folks who are actually using it can have a better say at it.
-- Only thing that will help you is the price rise issue. If you have to do an upgrade 6 months down the line, then better to do it now unless you are waiting for a new generation of a certain model.

On a side note, I guess you should consider Nissan Kicks as well, comes with 7 speed CVT, is a stonker of an engine with 154PS, all safety features standard from the base model itself (TC, EPS, VDC, Hill Hold) and got all the necessary features covered as well. I would rate this above S-cross any day except the resale value.
Highh5 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th January 2022, 07:32   #330
KPR
BANNED

Quote:
Hello
Kicks is a very nice car. But my choice would be to get one in MT variant to get the best out of Turbo petrol in it. In fact you can wait for facelifted Vitara Brezza that is expected to be launched in June-July 22 with many new features.
KPR is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed