Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th December 2020, 21:46   #106
Senior - BHPian

Re: Maruti S-Cross 1.5L Petrol : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by harpreetsubhi View Post
I'm looking out for a CSUV with a tight budget and hence KIA was out of picture even though we liked the car. (The top SONET whops up to 14.85L in Faridabad).
If you like Sonet, go for its HTK+ AT version as it has all the must have features plus a wonderful 6 speed AT. It is priced close to S-Cross Zeta AT, too.

Top end Sonet tops at 14.5 because it has features no other car can even assume (maybe thats why some features remain exclusive to higher segments as a sub compact car can't be priced at such levels after addition of luxury segment level features).

If you can live with MT or 4 speed AT (Speed guns and cameras are anyway increasing on highways), go for S-Cross over Brezza. I have driven Brezza 2018 model close to 5k Kms and I find S-Cross a superior package. I don't know what the experts say but Brezza 2018 diesel has slightly less body roll than my S-Cross petrol.
PaddleShifter is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th December 2020, 22:06   #107
BHPian

Journey towards getting a S-Cross AT

After many years, I was in the market for a compact SUV/Crossover. Requirements were: AT, > 4m, decent legroom, highway-capable, ABS/EBD, disc brakes. Budget < 28L OTR.
The options under consideration were (links to official reviews):

Tata Harrier (2020 Tata Harrier Automatic : Official Review):
Pros: Great-looking, powerful engine, 6-speed AT, good front and rear legroom, ESP, 6 airbags, good sound system
Cons: Big for city driving, No AWD or all-disc brakes at this price point, some awkward design elements with placement of the rear AC vents
Dealership/TD experience: Like interacting with a Govt. office. Registered my interest online and called multiple dealerships. Got a call-back after 2 days, with the salesman saying there was only 1 AT Harrier in all Pune for TD, and asked me to visit the showroom the next day. Upon arriving there, I was studiously ignored by all the salespeople, who were chatting away, no doubt exchanging gossip on the large number of Nanos they had sold in 2011. After sitting inside the display Harrier and (unsuccessfully) trying to open the hatch, a salesperson approached me to helpfully inform me that the car battery was possibly dead. After I made some noise, the Harrier salesman showed up, and apologetically informed me that the TD vehicle was being repaired due to an accident, and had been in the workshop all week. No explanation for why I was informed otherwise. Still waiting for the dealerships to call back.

Mahindra XUV (Mahindra XUV500 Diesel Automatic : Official Review):
Pros: Good road presence, rugged, very roomy and comfy, decent power, 6 airbags, ESP, all-disc brakes, 6-speed AT, AWD option
Cons: Crude fit & finish, boat-like handling, will be replaced by new model in 2021, hate hate hate the vertical door handles
Dealership/TD experience: Like Tata, but didn’t even end up visiting the showroom due to lack of interest shown by dealership.

Kia Seltos (Kia Seltos : Official Review):
Pros: Good size, plenty of (too many actually) variants, decent sound, spacious interior and boot, ESP & all-wheel disc brakes available on some of the million variants on offer (let me know once you figure out which), 1.5L NA petrol has decent zip for city driving.
Cons: Too much bling, confusing as heck to navigate through the various trims, too well-equipped with gizmos (not a big fan of connected car technology – why should Kia know where I am and how I drive the car, creeps me out), fun to drive 1.4L turbo is paired with the DSG transmission (reliability issues as per this august forum)
Dealership/TD experience: The salesperson skipped the first TD appointment, with nary an apology for the no-show. He did show up on time the second time around. The car drove and handled well (good allrounder as per the Team-BHP review). Engine and transmission (CVT) was adequate for the city drive and NVH levels were good. Liked the higher seating, boot space and rear legroom. The touchscreen display was too big and intrusive for my taste – guess I’m showing my age. Would’ve test driven the Diesel AT, but for the dealbreaker: undiagnosed BRAKE FAILURES (Brake failure issues in the Kia Seltos), which put paid to further interactions with the Korean twins.

Hyundai Creta (Hyundai Creta : Official Review): Two things:
Same brake failure issue
That rear end
https://www.team-bhp.com/carpics/202...i-creta-04.jpg

Jeep Compass (Diesel) (Jeep Compass 4x4 Diesel AT BS6 coming in lower variants):
Pros: Looks great, fun to drive (the 2.0L diesel packs a punch), solidly built, tons of safety features (disc brakes, ESP, TC, rollover protection), AWD, great fit & finish, it’s a JEEP. The heart was sold
Cons: Pricey for the size, poor dealership/service coverage, 6 airbags only in the Limited trim, uncertainty about the future of FCA India. Petrol engine is anemic in comparison to the diesel.
Dealership/TD experience: TD was quickly arranged. The Jeep handled and drove really well, and my sister was soon cowering in the rear seat as I put it through its paces. The power of the engine was enough to overcome any lag in the transmission, and NVH was great. Was head over heels in love, and decided to go for the Longitude Plus Diesel, at a healthy 1.6L discount. Almost signed the paperwork for a red one, when the sales guy told me (only upon asking, mind you) that the car was built in January 2020. No way was I going to get a vehicle that had been sitting at the dealership for 9 months. Unfortunately they were unable or unwilling to find a more recently made unit, and were unwilling to give me the same discount for the Limited, which had units that were built 3-4 months back. So the heartbroken Majnu walked away with his bank balance intact.

• Maruti S-Cross 2020 Petrol: Maruti hadn't even been on my radar, till a friend suggested we check out the Nexa offerings after a cup of coffee. That cappuccino sealed my fate.
Pros: The best-built Maruti by far. Decent but not great front and rear leg room (I’m 6’1”). Interiors have good amount of soft-touch plastic. All-disc brakes, reclining rear seats, tilt/telescopic steering. Engine has adequate power (103PS) and so-so torque (138Nm), for a 1.5L NA. It revs nicely though.
Cons: No AWD option. The AT is ANCIENT. 4 speeds in this day and age, that too with the disco-era “OD off” button. No ESP when the Ciaz has it. Boot space is mediocre at 353 liters.
Dealership/TD experience: TD was arranged promptly after the showroom visit. TD car was the top-of-the-line Alpha variant, with leather everything, auto dimming IRVM & rain sensing wipers. Car handled well in city traffic, and the engine ha enough oomph for quick overtaking when required. The AT is not a deal-breaker, but the smaller number of gears means downshifts are noticeable when slowing down. The all-disc brakes work great though.

Decision: The head won over the heart, and the solid after-sales support network of Maruti, coupled with the highly professional interactions with their sales manager Prateek (Nexa Shivajinagar) carried the day. There is a White Zeta S-Cross in my garage now, and I have enough $ left over for the Thar as well..
Still breaking in the engine as per Team-BHP guidelines (ARTICLE: How to Run-In your new car), and will post an ownership review once enough miles have been run.
Initial observations: Car handles well, and feels planted at high speeds on the expressway. Brakes inspire confidence, and the S-Cross is able to deal with bad roads easily. NVH levels are high, though. Looks like I will have to bite the bullet and replace the tires with Michelins, if I can find them, and get rid of the stock JKs. Does anyone know if dealers will accept tires with 500-600km on them?
Other upgrades planned: leather seat covers, damping, and possibly an audio upgrade, once I confirm this will not void the warranty.
Thanks a ton to all the moderators and members of Team-BHP for creating this amazing community. It has been and continues to be a pleasure to read the articles and discussions, and participate in my own small way.

Last edited by Mustang Sammy : 16th December 2020 at 22:36. Reason: minor tweaks
Mustang Sammy is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 20th December 2020, 19:53   #108
Senior - BHPian

Re: My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoshashi
Yes I have been told by a fairly reliable chap that S Cross will be discontinued/updated soon, basically there will be some changes(may be price related?). Now to me neither makes sense. Maruti had more than enough time to change/update anything if they had any intent. Also it doesn't make any sense to discontinue a model which was launched only in August. This is exactly why I posted the info with a Rumour tag.
Any further updates on the SCross being discontinued / updated ? If indeed it is being discontinued, there would be hefty discounts on the remaining units, I guess.

It would be a pity though that this fine car is being stopped. If they can drop the SHVS from the car, the price can be reduced quite a bit, making it a good buy. And a reduction in the price of the dated CVT would make AT a good buy. If wishes were horses, ...
supremeBaleno is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th December 2020, 20:30   #109
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
And a reduction in the price of the dated CVT would make AT a good buy.
Its a 4 AT, not a CVT in the SCross though. And that I suspect makes price reduction on the AT variants a bit tricky. Because the same AT is offered on other cars. Reduce the price on the SCross and the price of a 4AT Brezza comes under the lens immediately if it doesn't reduce in proportion. It might be easier to simply discontinue the AT SCross for Maruti in comparison to doing the price juggling.
Reinhard is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th December 2020, 20:38   #110
Senior - BHPian

Oops, my bad. I meant the outdated TC 4AT, which does duty in our AStar too.
BTW, the AStar AT cost just 50K more than the MT version when we bought it. Their current pricing for the same AT is exhorbitant in comparison.
Old 21st December 2020, 00:37   #111
BHPian

Had a chance to test drive Scross 1.5 Petrol Manual and Automatic.

Being a diesel Scross owner, the car felt light and easy to drive. The outdated 4-speed AT was struggling when driven bit aggressively. It was confused most of the time and the rpm was shooting up on a disturbing fashion. We were quite disappointed and drove the manual. The manual was nicer to drive and felt more connected to the engine. But here also the gearbox was playing spoilsport. Out on the highway, the engine was crossing 3k rpm while doing 100 kmph due to the low gearing and felt strained to go further. We were constantly reminded of the old gen Innova by this behaviour.

On the very next day, I got a chance to travel on a colleague's brand new Urban Cruiser Automatic. His driving manners is very matured and use to follow the speed limits are traffic rules religiously. We drove 30 mins through the city and the gearbox was well suited to his driving habits. The shifts were well executed, felt completely different from what I had driven yesterday. I think this gearbox hates highways and shines only when driven soft and sedate in the city.

My friend for whom we had the test drive was hell-bent on Scross due to its size and comfort but had to strike it off the list with a heavy heart because of the disappointing gearboxes.
northstar* is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2020, 01:00   #112
Senior - BHPian

I had been overcharged by the Nexa dealer (Modern Automobiles, Panchkula, Haryana) at the time of delivery by Rs18700/-. Finally I got the refund of Rs18700/- from the Nexa dealer after 2 months of delivery (actually 30 days of regular follow ups). This has left a bitter taste in mouth. I shall be editing the 5 star Google review that the manager made me write at the time of delivery. Too bad I handed over the booking receipt copy of my Kia Sonet (in goodwill) that he told me that he'll use to show his successful sales to a customer of other brand.

The sales person here (Mr. Pradeep) told me few days ago that he has left the dealership. So I started "bothering" the manager to seek my refund now. On the day they gave me the cheque, the manager told me that he has not resigned from the dealership but was not coming to work because of some internal issue.

Why this post today?

I read this post from a fellow member who feels that dealer experience is usually terrible when we buy a popular car. I feel majority dealerships are like this only. Days of poor sales (2019 and lockdown period) has only made them greedier rather than humble and honest.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offic...ml#post4959618 (Kia Sonet : Official Review)
PaddleShifter is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th January 2021, 14:11   #113
BHPian

The mild hybrid system as offered in S Cross petrol makes the engine stop when the vehicle is idle for sometime. This also stops the AC as this function is to enhance the fuel efficiency. What if someone wants to use the AC or Heater while the vehicle is parked or stuck in a traffic jam? Is there a possibility to bypass this function? I think it will be a big negative if AC can not function when the vehicle is not moving? Will appreciate what the owners of S Cross petrol feel about it.
Old 5th January 2021, 14:17   #114
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashtrix View Post
The mild hybrid system as offered in S Cross petrol makes the engine stop when the vehicle is idle for sometime. This also stops the AC as this function is to enhance the fuel efficiency. What if someone wants to use the AC or Heater while the vehicle is parked or stuck in a traffic jam? Is there a possibility to bypass this function? I think it will be a big negative if AC can not function when the vehicle is not moving? Will appreciate what the owners of S Cross petrol feel about it.
Turn off the Auto start stop function with the Turn Off Switch, below the Engine Start Stop button.

Regards,
Shashi
Leoshashi is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th January 2021, 14:53   #115
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
We have the same thing by another name from Mahindra in the TUV 300 and experience tells us to switch off the auto start-stop button simply since the starter motor goes bad over a period of - say - 5 years if we keep using it. Not to mention our turbos which will also probably get ruined due to the instant switching off (but you S-Cross owners don't need to worry about it). And yes, you as well as we need to worry about the AC/Heater with all that incessant switching off and on by the engine. And how does that work even - doesn't the battery take the full load of the AC when the engines shuts off?

Last edited by locusjag : 5th January 2021 at 14:58.
locusjag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th January 2021, 15:29   #116
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by locusjag View Post
We have the same thing by another name from Mahindra in the TUV 300 and experience tells us to switch off the auto start-stop button simply since the starter motor goes bad over a period of - say - 5 years if we keep using it. Not to mention our turbos which will also probably get ruined due to the instant switching off (but you S-Cross owners don't need to worry about it).
Well Maruti doesn't have such a crude implementation of the start stop or mild hybrid system. First of all, the starter motor isnt used for start stop operation unlike your TUV. That's precisely why they use an integrated starter-generator built into the alternator. The conventional starter is used only for driver intended starts.

And regarding AC, the engine is restarted after the evaporator temperature crosses a certain limit so that the cabin temperature doesn't get uncomfortable. This can also be customized in the XL6 but not not sure about the S-Cross.
audioholic is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 5th January 2021, 16:55   #117
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
And regarding AC, the engine is restarted after the evaporator temperature crosses a certain limit so that the cabin temperature doesn't get uncomfortable. This can also be customized in the XL6 but not not sure about the S-Cross.
In S-Cross, the start stop system (SSS) can be 'fine tuned" by selecting between comfort or economy mode under settings. The SSS works more aggressively in economy mode whereas in comfort mode, it stops the engine less often (useful in summers). There is no way to set some temperature threshold though (unless I am missing something).

By the way, even with the AC switched off, SSS keeps starting the engine after every 3 minute or so after stopping it. So the restarting is not entirely linked with AC alone.
Old 5th January 2021, 17:11   #118
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
In the CIAZ; the idle-stop-start mechanism, (and the S-Cross should not be much different as the powertrian and the idle - stop - start module is commonised with the CIAZ), is linked to the in-cabin temperature sensor which starts the engine after about 3 minutes of it remaining shut; or a certain rise in - cabin temperature. But in this re-start after 3 minutes, the vehicle keeps idling and does not shut off again on its own.
arjab is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th January 2021, 22:33   #119
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaddleShifter View Post
In S-Cross, the start stop system (SSS) can be 'fine tuned" by selecting between comfort or economy mode under settings. The SSS works more aggressively in economy mode whereas in comfort mode, it stops the engine less often (useful in summers). There is no way to set some temperature threshold though (unless I am missing something).
The temperature threshold is a function of the ECU, while the comfort economy mode is in the drivers hands. It also alters how much of a raise in evaporator temperature can be tolerated during start-stop operation.
Old 12th January 2021, 09:32   #120
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
Any further updates on the SCross being discontinued / updated ? If indeed it is being discontinued, there would be hefty discounts on the remaining units, I guess.
The Jan car sales figures shows a sharp dip in the number of units sold, which could be indicative of a phase out.
On the other hand, I also see a lot of new (For Regn) SCross-es in Kerala on a daily basis.

There's also another thread about Maruti working on a next-gen SCross (YFG).

Last edited by supremeBaleno : 12th January 2021 at 09:40.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks