Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 17th January 2021, 10:50   #121
Senior - BHPian

Re: Maruti S-Cross 1.5L Petrol : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
The Jan car sales figures shows a sharp dip in the number of units sold, which could be indicative of a phase out.
On the other hand, I also see a lot of new (For Regn) SCross-es in Kerala on a daily basis.

There's also another thread about Maruti working on a next-gen SCross (YFG).
The December sales (its factory despatches actually rather than sales figure) for any car is never an indication of its future. As an example, just wait and see the Jan sales figures next month for Toyota Innova and Fortuner.

S-Cross sells an average of just 2000 something per month and many dealerships usually have ready stock for a few variants as well. Such cars usually have poor December figures.

The next gen S-Cross (YFG) is in development and is expected to launch by 2023 internationally.

https://www.rushlane.com/new-gen-mar...-12388995.html

Maruti Suzuki is said to be bringing new SUVs to the market.

https://www.deccanherald.com/busines...rt-901687.html

Last edited by Aditya : 17th January 2021 at 19:40. Reason: Quoted post deleted
PaddleShifter is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th February 2021, 11:17   #122
BHPian

Hi, how to I permanently disable the auto start stop of the engine? Do I have to ask service station to implement this? This feature does not serve any purpose in Indian hot weather. Switching off auto start/stop every time I start the car is a hit or miss.
Old 10th February 2021, 23:44   #123
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manish84 View Post
Hi, how to I permanently disable the auto start stop of the engine?
You can not do this as the system isn’t designed to be permanently disabled. This applies to all cars with Start stop (SS) systems.

There are 2 workarounds, however keep in mind that I dont know about its impact on car warranty and electronics etc. I dont support or recommend such bypass shortcuts. I have not/never done any myself either.

1. Replace factory fitted 45Ah Exide car battery in the engine compartment with a regular aftermarket 45Ah one such as Amaron as regular car batteries are not compatible with SS system. Doing this will disable the SS system as they require special batteries designed for SS system (Your stock Exide battery has the SS logo on it because of this reason).

2. Removing the connection to the Li battery located under passenger seat will disable the SS system as it is dependent upon this second battery rather than the primary Exide battery in the engine compartment.

What I recommend is that you change a setting in the car settings in speedo console that control the frequency of SS system activation (Economy and comfort option will be there, and you have to choose comfort). Secondly learn to live with SS and disable it everytime you drive. You will spot it at its first cut off anyway. There wont be any after that once you disable it.

Last edited by PaddleShifter : 10th February 2021 at 23:45.
Old 12th February 2021, 22:38   #124
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsrivatsa View Post
I headed over to the Maruti page to read about their Heartect Platform and was shocked to see S-Cross also listed there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sou_3749 View Post
Did maruti silently moved to Heartect platform for S-Cross petrol or a mistake by website admin.
Quote:
Originally Posted by arcotsrinivas View Post
Looks like MSIL has silently moved the SCross Petrol to the Hearttech platform from the Global "C" Platform as it's showing up as apart of Hearttech Platform in both Nexa & Arena sites, If it was an error it should have been replaced till now as we have been observing it since September.
Quote:
Originally Posted by da_lowrider View Post
He took 2 days, but got back with the information that it is based on the Heartect platform and was done during the move to BS6. Maybe he too just referred to the website, not sure. This is the information that I got though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
If the information comes from this person, I am pretty sure about it, but just did my own research as well out of keen interest.
Seems MSIL has corrected it's error, as "Silently" as it had made it. Hope the sheet metal analysts find it sturdily built now.

The S Cross no longer features in list of cars on Heartect Platform:

Maruti S-Cross 1.5L Petrol : Official Review-h.jpg
Leoshashi is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 12th February 2021, 22:48   #125
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoshashi View Post
The S Cross no longer features in list of cars on Heartect Platform

It was obviously a mistake. Good it's corrected because few people really started believing a platform can change just like that
Dr.Naren is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 13th February 2021, 10:52   #126
BHPian

Mod Note : Please do NOT post messages that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the quality of this forum.

We advise you to read the Forum Rules before proceeding any further. Request to post ONLY when you have something substantial to add to a discussion.

Last edited by GTO : 15th February 2021 at 06:24.
searacer932 is offline   Received Infraction
Old 18th February 2021, 17:51   #127
BHPian

I am looking for a replacement for my beloved 1.6 TDI VW Vento as it is now 9 years old and in Delhi NCR unfortunately, this is the last year for my ownership. It has been an awesome 1.8 lac Kms driven on it and would have driven much more if 10 year rule was not in place.

Anyways, am now considering options available with me and was thinking of S Cross. Though Maruti has discontinued Diesel last year, just want to know from forum members if it still makes sense to get a Petrol S Cross (Delta variant seems to be VFM) even though my monthly usage is high - approx 2500 - 3000 kms in a month. Also, are there any specific niggles or issues (apart from rattles and squeaks) which any owner has noticed?

- How is performance of headlights in both city roads and highways?
- How is the engine noise at high speeds and city speeds?
- How has been the handling and cornering capability of S cross?

Though I would have preferred a diesel vehicle, none of the current crop of C SUVs or cross overs give the kind of performance that 1.6 TDI had. A tough decision ahead for me
Old 18th February 2021, 18:48   #128
Senior - BHPian

At 2500-3000, diesel makes sense if you have lots of highway driving but the current fuel prices have complicated the matters to some extent. You can add CNG/LPG to a petrol car with reliable solutions but a diesel car will stay diesel forever. Moreover, since you are a Delhi resident, a petrol car will have a life of 15 years instead of 10 years for diesel.

Regarding your 3 queries:
1. Headlight performance is good. I was driving Punto before this so the difference is stark for a guy like me. Some S-Cross owners get LED/HID projector foglamps to sort things out.

2. Engine noise at high and city speeds: Since you were driving a TDI diesel, you will find this car very refined. But for petrol car standards, there are more silent cars such as Honda City. PM me your number and I will send you a video or two from my recent drives so that you can assess noise in video if you want. There are videos on YouTube as well.

3. Handling and cornering- Coming from a VW sedan, do not expect being satisfied by this car. It has very good European dynamics in its class (Crossovers) but is nowhere near European hatch/sedan levels.

A few extra points:
1. What other cars are you considering? What about Honda City?
2. S-Cross is an excellent jack of all trade practical car with tremendous value for money package but it is not a master of any particular attribute. I say this because from your post, I infer that you are looking for a very particular set of attributes.
3. If you are looking at S-Cross, Zeta variant is highly recommended rather than Delta.

Last edited by PaddleShifter : 18th February 2021 at 18:50.
PaddleShifter is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th February 2021, 19:33   #129
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo_anup View Post
I am looking for a replacement for my beloved 1.6 TDI VW Vento as it is now 9 years old and in Delhi NCR unfortunately, this is the last year for my ownership. It has been an awesome 1.8 lac Kms driven on it and would have driven much more if 10 year rule was not in place..
1. When you bought your car, you got a 15 year RC validity, right? Is this 10 year rule applicable retrospectively as well? I thought it's only applicable post the date when the 10 year rule came into effect?

2. As per the latest Motor Vehicle Bill presented during the 2021 Budget, can you extend your RC for an additional fee? This look like a better option since you are satisfied with your Vento and don't mind extending the ownership.

Last edited by sam264_2000 : 18th February 2021 at 19:34. Reason: Added additional comments
Old 18th February 2021, 21:37   #130
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaddleShifter View Post

A few extra points:
1. What other cars are you considering? What about Honda City?
2. S-Cross is an excellent jack of all trade practical car with tremendous value for money package but it is not a master of any particular attribute. I say this because from your post, I infer that you are looking for a very particular set of attributes.
3. If you are looking at S-Cross, Zeta variant is highly recommended rather than Delta.
Boss, with regards to your query, my overall budget is in range of 10- 12 lacs max.
1) Some other cars that i am considering are Honda WR-V Diesel, Ecosport Titanium Diesel, S Cross
2) I am looking for a car with good frugal nature and power and sorted mechanicals. I am relatively ok with lesser bling and connected features, but am inclined on better mechanicals, dynamics and engine.
3) I will look at the Zeta variant also once.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam264_2000 View Post
1. When you bought your car, you got a 15 year RC validity, right? Is this 10 year rule applicable retrospectively as well? I thought it's only applicable post the date when the 10 year rule came into effect?

2. As per the latest Motor Vehicle Bill presented during the 2021 Budget, can you extend your RC for an additional fee? This look like a better option since you are satisfied with your Vento and don't mind extending the ownership.
Boss, Yes - my car has 15 years mentioned in its RC as it was purchased in March 2012. However, my inference was that NGT rule supersedes all and hence, irrespective of year of purchase, one cannot ply a diesel vehicle if it is 10 years old from date of manufacturing.

2. There is debate on this understanding on Team Bhp threads too. The general understanding is that "given Supreme court has upheld NGT guideline of 10 year for diesel and 15 year for petrol; this rule will stay on in Delhi NCR". Hope there is some clarity on this when the bill is officially passed in April - May 2021.
Turbo_anup is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th February 2021, 07:54   #131
KPR
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo_anup View Post
Boss, with regards to your query, my overall budget is in range of 10- 12 lacs max.
1) Some other cars that i am considering are Honda WR-V Diesel, Ecosport Titanium Diesel, S Cross
2) I am looking for a car with good frugal nature and power and sorted mechanicals. I am relatively ok with lesser bling and connected features, but am inclined on better mechanicals, dynamics and engine.
3) I will look at the Zeta variant.
I'm in the same boat as yours. I've done TD of SCross, Ecosport, Nexon, Honda City. If you are a sedan guy then choices are easy. Honda city or Yaris. If you're looking for crossover/Sub 4m SUVs then all the very best. The market is quite congested for one to take a call . I've in mind SCross or Ecosports S with 6 air bags now in my list. But I'm going to check out urban cruiser too. The main grouse with SCross is the build quality which isn't confidence inspiring. Ford has 50+ days of waiting period. SCross has close to 30 days here in TN.

Last edited by KPR : 19th February 2021 at 07:57.
Old 19th February 2021, 09:57   #132
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPR View Post
I'm in the same boat as yours. I've done TD of SCross, Ecosport, Nexon, Honda City. If you are a sedan guy then choices are easy. Honda city or Yaris. If you're looking for crossover/Sub 4m SUVs then all the very best. The market is quite congested for one to take a call . I've in mind SCross or Ecosports S with 6 air bags now in my list. But I'm going to check out urban cruiser too. The main grouse with SCross is the build quality which isn't confidence inspiring. Ford has 50+ days of waiting period. SCross has close to 30 days here in TN.
Ecosport scores high in build quality, engine(that 1.5 is lovely) and safety. Only negative I see is space. Feels very congested, even if it has decent space for 4.

S Cross IMHO is the better car if anyone isn't inclined towards gadgetry which other sub 4m SUVs are coming with. It's as good as a sedan, but with good GC and dynamics.

Brezza and Urban Cruiser, well package is nice but the interiors suck. That's the only grouse I have with the car. Dashboard and plastics are of horrendous quality.

We were in a similar situation last year, and we picked Zeta MT as it suited our purpose and budget best. Only to realise later that workmanship of our city is downright crappy, and the seats and interiors have been ruined after NEXA guys installed their seatcover. . So do take that into account if your area has workmanship issue. I plan to get the interiors redone once I drive it to Delhi. Another thing is, those halogen based illumination of Zeta, all around, feels and looks a decade too old in this generation. So while Zeta makes tremendous sense, Alpha variant feels good to own.

Pains to see interiors of a brand new car being stripped:

Maruti S-Cross 1.5L Petrol : Official Review-20201214_155951.jpg

Halogen based illumination looks sad:

Maruti S-Cross 1.5L Petrol : Official Review-20201214_173421.jpg

Seat Cover We deliberately opted for design which has a bit of "gathering" so that their imperfection is hidden to some extent:

Maruti S-Cross 1.5L Petrol : Official Review-20201214_205924.jpg

Regards,
Shashi

Last edited by Leoshashi : 19th February 2021 at 09:58.
Leoshashi is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th February 2021, 10:13   #133
KPR
BANNED

Quote:
Ecosport scores high in build quality, engine(that 1.5 is lovely) and safety. Only negative I see is space. Feels very congested, even if it has decent space for 4.

S Cross IMHO is the better car if anyone isn't inclined towards gadgetry which other sub 4m SUVs are coming with. It's as good as a sedan, but with good GC and dynamics.

Brezza and Urban Cruiser, well package is nice but the interiors suck. That's the only grouse I have with the car. Dashboard and plastics are of horrendous quality.
Thanks for your reply. Is the SCross built for India same as exported to other countries? I see the kerb weight of XL6 as 1180 Kg and of SCross as 1130 Kg. Our own t-bhp review mentions SCross as well built OTOH in list of negatives for XL6 it is mentioned as 'build quality as ordinary'. When I checked door strength of both cars and also Ciaz at Nexa I found no difference to the build quality of any of the car yet SCross is deemed as well built in all reviews.

Quote:
We were in a similar situation last year, and we picked Zeta MT as it suited our purpose and budget best. Only to realise later that workmanship of our city is downright crappy, and the seats and interiors have been ruined after NEXA guys installed their seatcover. . So do take that into account if your area has workmanship issue. I plan to get the interiors redone once I drive it to Delhi. Another thing is, those halogen based illumination of Zeta, all around, feels and looks a decade too old in this generation. So while Zeta makes tremendous sense, Alpha variant feels good to own.

Pains to see interiors of a brand new car being stripped:
Fortunately at our home we love the fabric seats over leather seats and that is one of the reason we are inclined towards Zeta. I thoroughly loved the nil body roll and best ride quality while sitting in the rear despite having high GC. The only reason we are doubting SCross is over the build quality and safety. According to us ES has poor rear seat space and we get only 70% comfort over SCross comfort. In remaining fronts it excels but is way too costly too. I'm indeed in a dilemma between the two - ES Sports (for 6 air bags) or Zeta SCross. I'm also going to rule out VB or UC and WRV diesel.

Last edited by KPR : 19th February 2021 at 10:14.
KPR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th February 2021, 10:34   #134
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPR View Post
I've in mind SCross or Ecosports S with 6 air bags now in my list. But I'm going to check out urban cruiser too. The main grouse with SCross is the build quality which isn't confidence inspiring. Ford has 50+ days of waiting period. SCross has close to 30 days here in TN.
Boss, am surprised to hear that S Cross has a waiting period of 1 month. Here i thought it was a slow selling model and hence would be readily available with Maruti Dealers. I have also driven both Ecosport (titanium Diesel) and SCross (1.3 MJD - owned by a friend) my observations are slightly different than yours -

- Found build quality good for both of them. Both cars have heft and weight in body panels but Ecosport feels more robust in built of the two.
- Interior plastics, fit and finish are at par for both though some materials are better in SCross and some in Ecosport. But both of them are a step down from Korean twins - Sonet and Venue.
- Interior space - here is the difference wherein i found SCross to be more "liberating" in terms of interior space, airy feeling, slightly better shaped boot for carrying luggage on weekend trips with family & comfortable back seat space. While Ecosport is also good but interior space especially at the back felt a bit cramped (as observed by better half) and boot was a bit "weird" (if I may use this word) for putting luggage. Seemed like some luggage part would have to kept upright to liberate more space.
- Features - Ecosport trumps Scross in this dept with lot of in-cabin features. however, for the Titanium variant that I am looking it misses out on apple car play / android auto, which I think have become necessities now. Rest is fine.
- Steering feel, dyanics and handling - Here though i felt Ecosport is better than S Cross from "Driver" point of view as I was driving the vehicle; my family which accompanied me and was at the backseat felt that SCross had better back seat comfort than Ecosport.
- Engine - Ecosport Hands down wins here with its good diesel engine. If SCross would have been available with diesel (I still have till mid of this year to decide on new vehicle) then it would have been my choice. However, with a 5 Speed MT petrol wherein as per the official review - 100 Kmph is touched at around 3000 RPM - i think nvh and engine sound will be more too. As my usage is around 2500 - 3000 kms in a month (both highway as well as city), this is something that is bothering me.
- Safety - Ecosport wins here though SCross is also a better built Maruti.
- Head vs Heart - The NGT rule also makes decision tough for me. Petrol has 15 years validity in Delhi NCR and Diesel has 10 years. Can't get my head around cost effectiveness for purchasing a Petrol or a Diesel.

Quote:
Only to realise later that workmanship of our city is downright crappy, and the seats and interiors have been ruined after NEXA guys installed their seatcover. . So do take that into account if your area has workmanship issue.
i
Boss, what was the issue in the interiors of SCross that has frustrated you? When i sat in Scross (2017 model - 1.3 MJD) - it felt like better built and finish than other Marutis. Also, does Petrol feel relaxed at 3000 or so RPM - because generally have seen cars hitting 100 Kmph or so at around 1900 -2000 RPM which is relatively ok and relaxed range for Engine RPM. Further, this might affect Mileage too.

Last edited by Turbo_anup : 19th February 2021 at 10:36. Reason: spell check
Turbo_anup is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th February 2021, 10:35   #135
BHPian

Some pointers from my side, I own a Scross 1.3 which is just over 4 years old and at 1,52,000 KMs.

- Ride: It is on the stiffer side at city speeds, I know quite a few owners who bought the car and keep complaining about the stiffness at low speeds. This is expected behavior. Out on the highway, this car is stable as a rock! You won't have to slow down for those undulations or patchworks, this one just glides over them.

- Handling: Sharp for a car with high GC, please throw away the crappy JKs which come with the car. It is composed on the corners (not with JKs which tend to loose grip). Its a long hatchback with high GC.

- Braking: Again a plus point.

- Build quality: It is based on the Global-C platform and not heartect platform. It does share some parts with other Maruti cars (Window controls for example).

I will for sure look at something more comfortable if my primary usage is within city limits, maybe Ciaz. If you will be spending more time on the highways, Scross is the right choice! I have done numerous cross country drives in my car, with my parents in the back seat. This one is built for the highways. Hope this helps.
sinharishi is offline   (7) Thanks

Most Viewed