Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 1st September 2020, 22:15   #61
BHPian

Re: Hyundai Venue iMT Review : Intelligent Manual Transmission without a clutch pedal

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsrivatsa View Post
While I agree they are evolving in the right direction, the braking issues still seem to be a cause for worry. Hope they fix those basics as well sooner than later.
Well, I totally agree on this.
I mean other than brakes, the suspension and steering are also let down. But the latter two has worked in their favour. An enthusiast will find steering numb and suspension soft but the rest will find these two things good making them use less effort, inside the city and cushioned ride and these "rest" contributes to their 90% of sale.

Although, the rest agrees with enthusiasts when it comes to braking such that initial bite is too sensitive and brake fade is on higher side. So yeah, they should fix it sooner.
Old 2nd September 2020, 00:47   #62
Senior - BHPian

Re: Hyundai Venue iMT Review : Intelligent Manual Transmission without a clutch pedal

I’m seeing Hyundai is focused on getting to that #1 position in the next 5 years, with MSIL being extremely lethargic with their lineup and offering post BS6 era. They’ll sit with their current line up comfortably but there will surely be an immediate change in the shift of customer liking towards premium and quality focused Hyundai very shortly.

Venue’s iMT and it’s range of engine offerings is a strong example and their next i20 will stamp the success on their monthly sales report for sure.

Surely this would really be a unique combination and would pretty much cater to drivers in city and to those who love manual transmissions but are scared of engaging the clutch (mostly beginners) would surely enjoy this match made in heaven

PS:
Why premium of 15,000/- for this? They’ve eliminated clutch right? So they should reduce the overall amount isn’t it just kidding.

Regards

RV
gururajrv is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2020, 07:06   #63
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ant_vas View Post
How about engine brake in AMT cars?

i have used the car in steep declines and the controller won't up shift while RPM might increase. Have tried this multiple times and i feel the car was in complete control.

Try the same declines in Neutral or with CVT like Jazz, i bet you would be scared for your life!
Have you tried it sir?
One advise if you have done it on the jazz, next time, kindly use the paddle shifters in such a scenario and see the control that you get. I have both AMT (sorry, AGS) and a CVT in my garage. Suffice to say, I would never go in for an AMT again.
P.S. you just lost your bet

Last edited by handsofsteel : 2nd September 2020 at 07:12.
handsofsteel is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2020, 12:42   #64
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
For folks like me who have the habit to have left hand on the gear stick - ......
You mean you rest your left hand on the gear-knob? That is a big NO NO! Please do not do that. That will create a play in the gear lever. Secondly in the event of an emergency, it is better to have both the hands on the wheel!!
kkr2k2 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2020, 12:47   #65
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deep Blue View Post
While the review does bring out a few points, I still don't understand the necessity of this transmission variant.
The necessity is in the price. While usually the AT variants are priced at 1L+ premium, some AMTs managed to narrow this gap to 50-70k. And now this narrows it down further to 20k over the MT variant. So a lot more people can opt for this.
drmohitg is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2020, 13:11   #66
BHPian

Great review Aditya, as always.
Hatsoff to Hyundai for yet another drive solution for Indian conditions and more importantly not a half-cooked one.
This brings in the comfort of AT and joy of MT together.
I understand that you got only 4 hours on the car but I could not stop myself asking this typical question "kitna deti hai?" and in comparision with other gear train modes. Any light on that please.

Last edited by coolmind : 2nd September 2020 at 13:20.
coolmind is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2020, 13:56   #67
BHPian

Thanks for the fine review Aditya, as always. You have explained this concept of IMT very lucidly and answered several questions that would run through my head whenever I heard this term.

Will be interesting to see how people lap up this concept , at least to me while it sounds interesting, I find it pointless having a hybrid of this nature . I own both AMT and Manual shift cars and use the former in city and the latter for long drives and I do not see much of an issue switching over except for the first few minutes until the muscle memory sets in

Also, as far as the AMT goes IMHO, this is not such a bad choice, there is a way to operate AMTs and you can almost eliminate the head nod effect , obviously one will be disappointed if one expect to drive this around like a conventional automatic .
gops2009 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th September 2020, 11:55   #68
BHPian

Comparison of the acceleration from 0 to 100 kmph between the DCT and iMT.

JithinR is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 4th September 2020, 11:59   #69
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JithinR View Post
Comparison of the acceleration from 0 to 100 kmph between the DCT and iMT.
Well, one thing you can observe is that the iMT is hardly revved beyond 5K RPM, while the DCT is revving all the way. Also I feel 13 seconds is too slow by even DCT standards.
Old 5th September 2020, 10:14   #70
BHPian

Great review Aditya.

For some reason, I get a feeling that the iMT feels more like a 'flavour of the season' and not something that is 'here to stay'. Is it just me or does anyone resonate the feeling ?

I also saw the video review on Autocar India and there again I felt that this is not something the pure enthusiast driver wants, nor is it is something that the convenience seeking bumper-2-bumper traffic driver wants. So the big question is 'Who wants it ?' and after pondering for a while, I feel the answer is 'No one'. So this is what I predict, iMT will die a slow death, probably will take a year or 2, but die it will.

Last edited by shabash : 5th September 2020 at 10:14. Reason: Typo
shabash is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th September 2020, 11:22   #71
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shabash View Post
So this is what I predict, iMT will die a slow death, probably will take a year or 2, but die it will.
On the contrary, I feel iMT will become more mainstream and we will see this in more cars, provided the iMT is reliable in the long run and people don't encounter issues with it.

The reason people don't buy DCTs, TCs etc is because of cost and not anything else. A majority of the population would love the convenience and cost effectiveness of iMT.

There is a miniscule population that loves manual cars and they are purists. Even I love manual cars, but not in city anymore and probably not for the highway either going forward.
NFS2024 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th September 2020, 11:53   #72
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFS2024 View Post
A majority of the population would love the convenience and cost effectiveness of iMT.
This is exactly where I see the issue, it may not be seen as a convenience over time.

Anyways only time will say whether the aam janta will accept iMT. May be we can come back couple of years from now on the same thread and re-validate our point of view.
Old 7th September 2020, 18:07   #73
BHPian

Drove the Venue iMT. I absolutely loved it. Contrary to what I thought, its so easy to drive. And in no way feels weird. Infact its fun! And far more convenient than a manual. Almost like an automatic.

For highway driving, where auto might become boring and manual would be too much to handle due to increased traffic density in the highways, iMT makes a LOT of sense. Its perfectly suited for someone who doesn't want to lose out on fun, but wants convenience and a relaxed mind as well (btw before the drive, I had completely opposite mindset that its neither here nor there. I proved myself wrong within a km of driving!)

Believe me, its at that perfect spot. Perfect for our dense/single lane highways. Its my absolute choice for the highways. Only if the gear lever could be a bit more smooth slotting.

Good thing is engine doesn't lug at low speeds. So one doesn't have to worry about gear change/stalling when slowing down. I tried 20kmph in 6th gear. There was no lugging but as expected engine response was lethargic. I know its bad for the engine but tried for just around 100 metres.

Punchy turbo engine + high seating + good visibility + well weighted steering + acceptable dynamics + RESTED left leg = FUN on the highway, with convenience!

It completely changed my mindset towards iMTs. Before driving (and before reading Tbhp review), I hated it. But then I thought of giving it a try. And I loved it, especially on highways. That engine braking feel while decelerating feels so much like a manual.

Having said all that, when it comes to b2b traffic driving, AT remains my choice. Though, I am sure I won't complain in an iMT even in b2b traffic, but just that an AT will keep me completely relaxed.

SX iMT has almost all the features and is perfectly priced.
Mynameis is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th September 2020, 08:42   #74
Mik
BHPian

Drove the iMT as we are considering it for my wife who currently drives a Nano AMT.
This thing is just awesome and ideal for anyone making the shift from manual.
However, here are my minor gripes for people who might have been used to automatics and have never shifted a gear (my wife )

1. If you forget to shift down in emergency from third and above, the vehicle suddenly goes limp. A reset to first is required. Can be unsettling for an AMT driver.
2. On inclines, if you take it on third and again forget to shift down, you will rollback in limp and even on reset to first, there is no hold. You gotta handbrake it.
3. The gear shift quality wasn't the greatest and the reversing clip that needs to be lifted up isn't very ergonomic.

In all, there is a learning curve involved for people used to automatics. But it's surmountable.
The sales guy mentioned it's coming in NIOS too soon and hyundai will phase out manuals (believe it if you want)
Mik is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 9th September 2020, 11:48   #75
KPR
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mik View Post
Drove the iMT as we are considering it for my wife who currently drives a Nano AMT.
This thing is just awesome and ideal for anyone making the shift from manual.
I think it's not for already AMT users. We use an Ignis AMT at home. I was particular about M mode during test drives. I drove in that mode during TD and downshifts were automatic too. But the fact is I don't remember when I've used M mode in the last two years of ownership. Nobody in our family has ever used that M mode. So iMT is neither here nor there. You will understand when you back to back TD an AMT and iMT car. So chances of your spouse preferring iMT is remote unless she loves a new mechanical.

Last edited by KPR : 9th September 2020 at 11:50.
KPR is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed