Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 15th September 2021, 08:35   #136
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Jalgaon
Posts: 437
Thanked: 276 Times
Default Re: Tata Altroz 1.5L Diesel : Official Review

I am not sure about the timeline for introduction of the E-20 petrol in our country and also not sure if the regular petrol will be sold parallelly. I assume that E-20 shall be introduced in 2022 and regular E-10 won't be available and therefore I will need to part ways with our Altis.

What next then?

1. New diesel Altroz.
2. Used diesel Nexon.

I have two questions in particular with the Altroz and one question with respect to the engine -

1. Is this a non interference engine with a timing chain or not.
2. Whether the ground clearance with 4 or 5 on board pose any challenge.
3. Can an underbody protection plate be bolted later on as an accessory.

In the event that I really need to part ways with the Altis, I intend to buy anyone amongst these two.
Swapnil4585 is offline  
Old 22nd September 2021, 11:03   #137
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2020
Location: Pune
Posts: 64
Thanked: 152 Times
Default Re: Tata Altroz 1.5L Diesel : Official Review

Hi: needed an opinion from the esteemed members here. I took a test drive for tata Altroz NA petrol yesterday: while the interiors/exteriors are well sorted out, the car seems rather sluggish at the start, given the weight of the car (I drive an ultra-light weight 2012 Hyundai Eon at the moment, and the difference at pick up is rather palpable).I loved the car otherwise, just wish for a better engine. Turbo diesel? I drive around 1200-1250km/mth and while I'm ok with a slight cost premium, DPF clogging up in Pune City traffic worries me (had similar apprehensions in Ford Freestyle that I had booked previously). I have 200km highway runs once every 2 weeks or so- would that suffice? Does the DPF work as intended, as opposed to recent grudges by Ford owners?
Also, am I likely to face any maintenance hassles, given the low numbers that the diesel variant is doing, vis a vis petrol?

Last edited by Nikhil Beke : 22nd September 2021 at 11:08.
Nikhil Beke is offline  
Old 22nd September 2021, 11:43   #138
Distinguished - BHPian
 
PrasannaDhana's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: TRICHY - TN
Posts: 2,241
Thanked: 10,780 Times
Default Re: Tata Altroz 1.5L Diesel : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikhil Beke View Post
Also, am I likely to face any maintenance hassles, given the low numbers that the diesel variant is doing, vis a vis petrol?
The same diesel motor does duty in over 40000 Nexons(in a slightly higher state of tune) and there haven't been any issues reported so far.

Modern diesels are as cheap as petrols, when it comes to maintenance. Moreover the 1.5 diesel of altroz is extreme fuel efficient. I know people who get 25 kmpl on highways driving it within 100kmph.

Did you try the Altroz iturbo?
PrasannaDhana is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2021, 12:31   #139
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2020
Location: Pune
Posts: 64
Thanked: 152 Times
Default Re: Tata Altroz 1.5L Diesel : Official Review

Quote:
Did you try the Altroz iturbo?
Did indeed think of it: Going by a minuscule price difference and a rather new technology that Tata ASSs are likely to be unfamiliar with, would prefer diesel over iTurbo.Our own team bhp thread and poll suggest the same...https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/hatch...bo-diesel.html (Tata Altroz : Turbo-Petrol vs Turbo-Diesel)
Nikhil Beke is offline  
Old 22nd September 2021, 12:33   #140
Senior - BHPian
 
AkMar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 1,121
Thanked: 2,348 Times
Default Re: Tata Altroz 1.5L Diesel : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikhil Beke View Post
Did indeed think of it: Going by a minuscule price difference and a rather new technology that Tata ASSs are likely to be unfamiliar with, would prefer diesel over iTurbo.Our own team bhp thread and poll suggest the same...https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/hatch...bo-diesel.html (Tata Altroz : Turbo-Petrol vs Turbo-Diesel)
The iturbo engine is not new technology. It is already doing duty in thousands of Nexons.
AkMar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2021, 14:56   #141
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Reinhard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 4,188
Thanked: 13,671 Times
Default Re: Tata Altroz 1.5L Diesel : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikhil Beke View Post
Did indeed think of it: Going by a minuscule price difference and a rather new technology that Tata ASSs are likely to be unfamiliar with, would prefer diesel over iTurbo.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AkMar View Post
The iturbo engine is not new technology. It is already doing duty in thousands of Nexons.
+1. And the 5 speed gearbox + turbo 1.2P combination was also very much deployed earlier in the JTP twins. So its not a new combination either.
Reinhard is offline  
Old 14th October 2021, 19:26   #142
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2021
Location: CG07
Posts: 22
Thanked: 4 Times
Default Re: Tata Altroz 1.5L Diesel : Official Review

Guys, its been 7k on odo for my Altroz Diesel, while the it has been mostly positive experience apart from low mileage. I've been getting close to 16.5 kmpl in mixed driving condition. Is it normal? I remember driving Swift Diesel with mileage around 20-22kmpl. While not directly comparable, I think, it is bit low. How do you guys think?
Sameer016 is offline  
Old 14th October 2021, 20:01   #143
BHPian
 
akshay380's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Goa
Posts: 936
Thanked: 1,204 Times
Default Re: Tata Altroz 1.5L Diesel : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sameer016 View Post
Guys, its been 7k on odo for my Altroz Diesel, while the it has been mostly positive experience apart from low mileage. I've been getting close to 16.5 kmpl in mixed driving condition. Is it normal? I remember driving Swift Diesel with mileage around 20-22kmpl. While not directly comparable, I think, it is bit low. How do you guys think?
I'm getting 12-13 in short city drives an 16-17 in longish drives once engine warms up. Two lane highways with mostly 4th gear driving I get 19-20. Four lane roads it is 23-24
akshay380 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th October 2021, 10:54   #144
Newbie
 
rd18's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2021
Location: Pune
Posts: 14
Thanked: 3 Times
Default Re: Tata Altroz 1.5L Diesel : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikhil Beke View Post
I loved the car otherwise, just wish for a better engine. Turbo diesel? I drive around 1200-1250km/mth and while I'm ok with a slight cost premium, DPF clogging up in Pune City traffic worries me (had similar apprehensions in Ford Freestyle that I had booked previously). I have 200km highway runs once every 2 weeks or so- would that suffice? Does the DPF work as intended, as opposed to recent grudges by Ford owners?
The driving pleasure in diesel will be unmatched. Just read point #1 of this thread.

Your monthly run and highway runs frequency looks good enough. You can run the car in high rpmís (2nd/3rd gears) in between.

And there arenít a lot of complaints on Nexon diesel(same engine). Itís good you are already wary of DPF behaviour in BS6 engines, and can set your mindset.

Mine and otherís experience in this thread.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techn...-commutes.html (Diesel DPF clogging due to short city commutes)
rd18 is online now  
Reply

Most Viewed
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks