Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 27th October 2021, 09:28   #166
BHPian

Re: Tata Altroz 1.5L Diesel : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikhil Beke View Post
Didn't you say 80% of his 9k kms were on the highways? Why did the soot levels rise so much, (sufficient to clog the DPF) in the first place? What else is an owner supposed to do, to prevent clogging?
Again it totally depends on driving style, he has a part time driver that never pushes the car above 2k rpm and in turn gets a mileage of 20-23kmpl.

Similarly he also pushes his car only till 2500 rpm with occasional bursts for overtaking. I look at this way -> Even with the conservative driving style the DPF managed to do its job for 10k kms without an issue. I believe this would be the issue with many, for instance my dad's driving style also revolves around upsetting early always and never really pushing the engine in our Innova.

Basically we all need to change our driving patterns. Personally, I would buy diesels till the time they are available for private use. Nothing to beat the sheer torque and driveability of a well made diesel mill. Added benefit of a long tank range is the cherry on top.
Shanksta is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 27th October 2021, 09:51   #167
BHPian

But if one is supposed to drive at >/= 2500 RPMs for a significant duration of the drive, it's likely that the vehicle has to stay on the highway nearly all the time(considering one has to drive a significant distance even to get out of the metro cities onto the highways). That practically rules out diesel engines for anyone who does even 50:50 city/highway runs.Also, would these high RPMs not also mess up the fuel efficiency, too?
This, with onslaught of electric vehicles(a technology that keeps getting better every day, unlike diesels) is likely to throttle diesel engines in next few years.

Last edited by Nikhil Beke : 27th October 2021 at 09:53.
Old 27th October 2021, 10:31   #168
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanksta View Post
Hi All,

An update on this issue, this might be useful for fellow BS6 diesel/Altroz Diesel owners.
:
Yes this is true. I last checked the soot load and it was 14.8% after 5100kms. Now im at 6200km and will be visiting SC today for second service. Will note down the readings and report.

Aside from this, I believe people have to buy diesels only if it fits their use cases. I drive 50-50 in city and two lane Goan highways choked with traffic and make it a point to at least drive 15min at slightly higher rpm which pushes the engine temperature up. Will only know if this works but unlike my friend who drives exact same route and kept getting errors from 3000km, I have not got anything. Touchwood!
akshay380 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th October 2021, 12:59   #169
Distinguished - BHPian

Delivered!

There were 8 other cars waiting to be delivered today between 9 15 am to 10 15 am (auspicious timing we believe).

Tata Altroz 1.5L Diesel : Official Review-20211027_111332.jpg

Altroz is w-i-d-e!! Even wider than my ciaz. Gives a good stance!

Tata Altroz 1.5L Diesel : Official Review-20211027_100639.jpg

Tata Altroz 1.5L Diesel : Official Review-20211027_113541.jpg

Odo at the time of delivery was 52 km
Tata Altroz 1.5L Diesel : Official Review-20211027_094847.jpg

Drove it to the church which is 25 km away. Absolutely love the low seating. It is even lower than my ciaz. The engine is refined and punchy too. Cruised at 110 kmph and it was nice and calm. 80 kmph in the 5th, and you dab the accelerator, the progress is nice and quick!! I am sure that with this engine and my driving habits, there won't be any DPF issues whatsoever

The TFT instrument cluster graphic clarity was superb. Yet to explore Harman 6 speaker audio. I seldom listen to music when parents travel with me.

Window line flows upwards from driver door to tail. This gives a different experience while reversing - all you see prominently in the ORVM is the window line going up. I do use the ORVMs a lot while reversing even though there is a rear cam. Blame my Storme for making it an habit to me, with the lack of rear cam.

Dead pedal was very useful. I felt clutch and brake pedals are set a notch higher than other cars. So is the gear lever, which is actually good. It falls right into your hand when kept on that very useful adjustable armrest.

How can Tata engineers design horn pad so idiotically? It's quite irritating to use the horn. It's set to the extremeties of the steering and the pad width is narrow too.

I will pen down the initial ownership experience in another 2 weeks.

The floor mats were out of stock, and hence took delivery without them. They promised me to give it to me tomorrow. Fastag was not kept in the car. The car clock was not set to proper time. The driver side upholstery was soiled at a place, I had to clean it off with a clean wet cloth. The diesel tank had less less 5 litres of diesel. These are the small things that makes difference in the customer delight.

But hey, that's Tata dealer being a Tata dealer. Delivery experience was good. Every one in the sales department clapped and sent off the intial drive.

First thing to do is to fill up the tank, get 3D floor mats from local dealer, and remove all plastic covers over seats.

Last edited by PrasannaDhana : 27th October 2021 at 13:20.
PrasannaDhana is offline   (61) Thanks
Old 28th October 2021, 17:16   #170
Distinguished - BHPian

2nd day of ownership and a small lesson about EGR flap operation

Closing 300 km on odo.

Tata Altroz 1.5L Diesel : Official Review-20211028_161306.jpg

I noticed a minute clatter like noise from the engine, specially when I lift off my foot of the A pedal, specially while coasting at 1400 - 1500 rpm. It was so minute that you would miss it with mild music or AC at any blower level over 1.

Took the car to the service center, only to hear the news that all diesel altrozes have that mild clatter at that rpm. I confirmed it with the test drive vehicle too. They told it was something related to EGR and it is normal.

I then happened to discuss the same with my friend who is a post grad in IC engines and currently works with Bharat Benz in the power train division. Only after talking to him, I was convinced. He says that specially in the BS6 engines, the EGR flap opens and closes intermittently when the engine runs at low rpm and low load. He advised that it's better to drive at RPMs above idling RPM + 600 revs, or not to let the A pedal in the low load position at that RPM. Also that it is normal and nothing to be worried about unless one doesn't continue the habit of keeping the A pedal at low load position at those RPMs. I have started to drive at a few hundred RPMs higher and there is no flap clatter anymore.

I noticed this only in city driving and rural driving when I had to drive slower. No such issues on the highways as I don't coast at RPM <2000.

Any other altroz diesel owners experienced this?

By the way, the altroz has replaced the ciaz perfectly. Drove 160 km today and it felt great to drive and was comfortable too. The Harman ICE audio is amazing!

Tata Altroz 1.5L Diesel : Official Review-inshot_20211028_165937298.jpg

Removed the garland, but kept the ribbon. That is a childhood silly habit of mine to keep the ribbon for days together. But this one will go tonight. Lol.

Tried ECO mode for about 80 km today. It felt eerily similar to DDIS 200 of maruti in power delivery. I mean that in a good way,- relaxed and calm. Perfect for driving in city and rural areas. Driveability is even better than DDIS 200 even in ECO mode. The power delivery is very linear. Totally understand why so many Altroz owners face DPF issues. The Eco mode is adequate for 90% of the population. There is no lag nor lack of power for normal usage.

In the CITY mode, the car revs more eagerly and more noticeable is the way the engine note changes. The car pulls harder and the engine becomes substantially more throaty, again in a nice way. I liked the sound and it would urge you to push it more. Just wondered how great it would have been if Tata gave us Nexon's 108 bhp and 250 Nm. Missed opportunity, Tata. That being said, the Altroz diesel in its existing avatar, is quite fun to drive and can be really fast if you want it to be. 1.5 Revotorq is definitely an upgrade over the 1.3 DDIS even though they have the same specs on paper.

Also tried the cruise control (for the first time ever). It was quite useful, and the car delivered max fuel efficiency (on the MID) on highway with cruise set to 70 kmph.

Tata Altroz 1.5L Diesel : Official Review-20211027_181208.jpg

Last edited by PrasannaDhana : 28th October 2021 at 17:43.
PrasannaDhana is offline   (47) Thanks
Old 28th October 2021, 17:55   #171
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrasannaDhana View Post

Closing 300 km on odo.
That sound is there in all Tata engines from Varicor series may be? My hexa from 2018 also has the exact same sound. Congratulations and wishing you miles of happiness!
akshay380 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th October 2021, 19:03   #172
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanksta View Post
Hi All,

An update on this issue, this might be useful for fellow BS6 diesel/Altroz Diesel owners.

[*] Typically this Soot load is calculated mostly from 0%-250%*]
Owning a BS6 diesel is no joke !
Yes, very useful. I wonder if such a % can be shown in instrument cluster. Would relieve a lot of owners, who may be warried of DPF light ON anytime and possibly miss it. Peace of mind.

Quote:

I noticed a minute clatter like noise from the engine, specially when I lift off my foot of the A pedal, specially while coasting at 1400 - 1500 rpm. It was so minute that you would miss it with mild music or AC at any blower level over 1.
Yes, it’s there. Check thread https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techn...complaint.html (Solved! Tata Altroz rattling noise (kirr-kirr sound), a common complaint)

And you continue to nail it on the ODO. Good to read all your thoughts.

Apprears from both of these issues that Altroz Diesel is meant to be driven with a heavy right foot !

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay380 View Post
Yes this is true. I last checked the soot load and it was 14.8% after 5100kms. Now im at 6200km and will be visiting SC today for second service. Will note down the readings and report.
So, what was it? Have got 2nd service due next month and plan to ask it. What’s the exact term in ECR? Is it “soot load” ?
Old 28th October 2021, 19:20   #173
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rd18 View Post
Yes, it’s there. Check thread https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techn...complaint.html (Solved! Tata Altroz rattling noise (kirr-kirr sound), a common complaint)

Thanks.

That link is the shift linkage counterweight rattle in Petrol NA Altroz. In diesel, it's inverted and it was intact and didn't move when we checked it today at the service center.

The noise I was talking about is from the EGR flaps.
Old 28th October 2021, 23:34   #174
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rd18 View Post
Yes, very useful. I wonder if such a % can be shown in instrument cluster. Would relieve a lot of owners, who may be warried of DPF light ON anytime and possibly miss it. Peace of mind.

Apprears from both of these issues that Altroz Diesel is meant to be driven with a heavy right foot !

So, what was it? Have got 2nd service due next month and plan to ask it. What’s the exact term in ECR? Is it “soot load” ?
DPF soot load. Mines at 18% with odo at 6200km. Technician said it will burn off when it hits 22-25% and I might start seeing warnings to burn off the soot. If we ignore it abd continue driving with light foot, the build up will go beyond auto regeneration and CEL/service light will appear.
akshay380 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th October 2021, 11:37   #175
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Just look at how stunning this car is, my god.
Also my favorite color, so there's that. Congratulations!
amol4184 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th October 2021, 17:17   #176
BHPian

Congratulations!
Such a beautiful car Altroz is, one can spend the whole day staring at it

Quote:
Altroz is w-i-d-e!! Even wider than my ciaz. Gives a good stance!
Wow! I always thought Ciaz is far wider. Checked again in Carwale and got convinced! Apparently Altroz is wider than Honda City as well.
pradeep_mvpa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th October 2021, 19:23   #177
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amol4184 View Post
Just look at how stunning this car is, my god.
Also my favorite color, so there's that. Congratulations!
Quote:
Originally Posted by pradeep_mvpa View Post
Congratulations!
Such a beautiful car Altroz is, one can spend the whole day staring at it

Wow! I always thought Ciaz is far wider. Checked again in Carwale and got convinced! Apparently Altroz is wider than Honda City as well.
Thank you!

Tata Altroz 1.5L Diesel : Official Review-20211028_185515.jpg

It's a head turner! I do ogle at it for a lot of time that my wife gets annoyed

Just a few pics with our Harrier, 2 gorgeous cars indeed!

Tata Altroz 1.5L Diesel : Official Review-20211029_071923.jpg

Tata Altroz 1.5L Diesel : Official Review-20211029_071943.jpg

Tata Altroz 1.5L Diesel : Official Review-20211029_072029.jpg

My brother told he felt altroz similar to his previous rapid when seated in the driver's seat. He was also surprised that I don't have to put up with Adblue top ups like in his Harrier- Benefit of smaller engine. Anyways DPF clogging is something BS6 diesel owners will always have to be mindful about.

Last edited by PrasannaDhana : 29th October 2021 at 19:27.
PrasannaDhana is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 30th October 2021, 07:29   #178
KPR
BANNED

Quote:
Delivered!
Many congratulations on your new car . Hope you have the best of ownership experience with this sensible buy. Altroz in diesel must be the hatchback to buy in this time of Turbo petrols. I thought you may opt for that dark edition . Red is a beautiful colour that suits Altroz design.

Last edited by KPR : 30th October 2021 at 07:31.
KPR is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th October 2021, 08:18   #179
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPR View Post
Altroz in diesel must be the hatchback to buy in this time of Turbo petrols. I thought you may opt for that dark edition . Red is a beautiful colour that suits Altroz design.
Thank you!

I definitely had dark and red in the top of my choices.

But Tata has weird decision making at its top level management.

Top end diesel does not get

1. Dark edition color

2. 8 speaker set up

Both these are available in iturbo and petrol N/A. What can be the reasoning behind this? Must be to not make top end diesel very pricey. Well, when one spends 11.13 lakhs on a car, another 40k (30k for dark color + 10k for 2 more tweeters) wouldn't matter.

Dear Mods,
Sorry to litter this thread with too many updates. I will pen down a full blown ownership experience in a separate thread when I have sufficient experience of this car (2000 km atleast). And this will be the last post littering this thread

Average Fuel Efficiency display & Tata's inability to calibrate it accurately

There has been many instances where owners have reported exaggerated fuel efficiency figures on the MID. I had done my first refill today and here are the figures.

MID display of Average FE

16.8 kmpl

Tata Altroz 1.5L Diesel : Official Review-20211030_073632.jpg

Actual Tankfull to Tankfull FE

18.9 kmpl

Tata Altroz 1.5L Diesel : Official Review-screenshot_20211030073811_fuelio.jpg

That is quite impressive for a brand new engine that is not run-in yet. Usage was 50 : 30 : 20 - Rural areas : Highways : City

Dear Tata, how hard is it to display accurate Average FE on the MID?
My humble Renault kwid shows just +/- 0.3 kmpl deviation between MID stats and actual fuel efficiency figure, my Ciaz had a very acceptable +/- 0.5 kmpl deviation.

Anything over +/- 2 kmpl is unacceptable, and this is just the first reading in my case. My ownership review will have a separate column discussing all the takfull data and their deviation from MID figures for all fill-ups done until that time.

Last edited by PrasannaDhana : 30th October 2021 at 08:35.
PrasannaDhana is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 30th October 2021, 10:20   #180
BHPian

Noob question: isn't the very purpose of DPF to prevent soot from being released into the atmosphere?

Then what's the point of "Clearing the DPF" by expelling the soot out by making the engine run at higher RPM? Doesn't the soot end up in the atmosphere itself?

Last edited by ZenMaster : 30th October 2021 at 10:21. Reason: Typo
ZenMaster is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed