Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th May 2022, 23:17   #241
BHPian

Re: Tata Altroz 1.5L Diesel : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrasannaDhana View Post
Reporting the best Tankfull to Tankfull fuel efficiency of my 18000 km run Altroz diesel
I have been following your ownership review thread from day one. It is delightful to read. I would like to know a few points from like the choice of fuel station and your observation on engine temperature. Would you please elaborate these points? Thanks in advance!
On4Wheels is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th June 2022, 18:15   #242
BHPian

Wait so there actually are altroz diesel owners on TBHP apart from Prasanna I see so few ownership reports both here and online compared to petrol altroz that I thought they discontinued the diesel variant.
Old 10th June 2022, 20:10   #243
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by On4Wheels View Post
I have been following your ownership review thread from day one. It is delightful to read. I would like to know a few points from like the choice of fuel station and your observation on engine temperature. Would you please elaborate these points? Thanks in advance!
Thank you!

I refill always at the same BP company operated outlet in Trichy.

As for as engine temperature, the max it has gone upto is 47-49% of the gauge, where the display colour is still green. During start up it starts at 15-20%. I idle it every day after cold start for 3 minutes minimum before even switch on the AC and moving the car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaiSW View Post
Wait so there actually are altroz diesel owners on TBHP apart from Prasanna I see so few ownership reports both here and online compared to petrol altroz that I thought they discontinued the diesel variant.

True, altroz diesel consist about 5% of altroz sales. For every 20 petrol altrozes sold, 1 diesel gets sold. I think most hatchback users intend only city / short trips usage. Hence petrol makes more sense.

Last edited by PrasannaDhana : 10th June 2022 at 20:13.
PrasannaDhana is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 11th June 2022, 17:50   #244
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrasannaDhana View Post
PS: I was very gentle with the A pedal during the last run which yielded 23.87 kmpl. Consistently driving the BS6 diesel that way will end up in a clogged BS6 filter within 2000 km
Always good to read about your Altroz, Prasanna. Could you elaborate on the same? What would be the best method to ensure the filter doesn't get clogged?
discoverwild is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st July 2022, 21:47   #245
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaiSW View Post
I am also an owner of Tata Altroz Diesel who is having tough time with the DPF issue. After multiple visits to service center with no permanent solution, I am convinced that I got a lemon car. I will be posting my ownership experience as soon as I get some time to compile it.
Also I would like to tag a few ownership experiences of other Altroz owners here.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techn...e-exhaust.html (Tata Altroz: RPM skyrockets with an insane level of smoke from the exhaust)

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techn...service-3.html (2021 Tata Altroz DPF issues and engine failure | Good experience with Tata's After Sales Service)
Old 19th July 2022, 17:27   #246
BHPian

In my Altroz XZ D, the AC button has slightly come off. The auto AC keeps turning off. Also, I feel the AC has become slightly less efficient. One more issue is, there's a creaking sound in the co-driver seat when driving over bumps. After 20 months and 36k km of ownership, these are niggles I am facing. Need to check in next service, considering the default warranty is going to expire. Not sure how the service centers would honor the extended warranty, so I am going to press on getting this fixed in the next service.

Has anyone else faced the auto AC turning off issue, on any other cars? Can anyone throw some light on the possible damaged components, if any.
Benoit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th August 2022, 00:02   #247
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benoit View Post
In my Altroz XZ D, the AC button has slightly come off. The auto AC keeps turning off. Also, I feel the AC has become slightly less efficient. One more issue is, there's a creaking sound in the co-driver seat when driving over bumps. After 20 months and 36k km of ownership, these are niggles I am facing. Need to check in next service, considering the default warranty is going to expire. Not sure how the service centers would honor the extended warranty, so I am going to press on getting this fixed in the next service.
Got these checked:
Seat creaking noise. The service technician had tighten the bolts. It has improved now. I am yet to check this over a long drive. He claimed that this is common in cars in which full floor mat has been fitted.
The AC button replacement has been ordered. The technician said the button is the culprit for the auto AC turning off. Not sure how, but let's find out after the replacement. The parts are to be expected in a week.
Benoit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th January 2023, 16:14   #248
BHPian

Hello all, happy new year and hope u all doing good. Have few doubts before booking Altroz. I'm looking for diesel version of the altroz as our yearly running is quite high(around 20k/year)

1.Will the altroz diesel be continued post RDE norms? Seen few media people saying that altroz diesel will be continued post rde norms, affirming that they had spoken with tata officials, but some have already concluded its discontinuation by this april.

2. Will the 1.5L diesel be updated for RDE norms by april’23(like interms of refinement and pollution control)?

3. Will the updated engine be continued for the altroz post April’23?

4. When will the altroz lineup would be updated with the features shown at the auto expo'23?

Thanking you all in advance.
Old 21st January 2023, 23:22   #249
Senior - BHPian

Yes, Altroz Diesel will continue even after the RDE norms come in. It will get the updated engine. This has been confirmed by Shailesh Chandra in an interview to Autocar India.
safari_lover is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th February 2023, 08:02   #250
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by safari_lover View Post
Yes, Altroz Diesel will continue even after the RDE norms come in. It will get the updated engine. This has been confirmed by Shailesh Chandra in an interview to Autocar India.
Will it get Nexon's tune, or will Tata continue with the current tune and update it for RDE norms?
Old 12th February 2023, 14:22   #251
BHPian

Hi,

Just want your valuable inputs:

My car is at 27k in about 1.5 years and recently DPF clogged light came up within 03 months of clearing DPF at showroom. Car failed to go beyond 2k. Went to service centre in limp mode, to get it checked. SA said it is usual and bound to happen. They performed DPF regen which involves revving the engine to 3k for, in my case, to 30 mins. SVC experience was very ordinary. SA lacked basic courtesy and etiquettes.

I came from non turbo petrol to this and my daily route includes mix of city and highway with heavy traffic. I usually change my gear at or under 2k rpm and never rev the engine. I follow idling habit too. Strangely, people are getting mileage over 20 but i struggle to touch even 20. My mileage hovers around 16-18 kmpl. DPF regen itself consumes fuel which I find weird.

Could my habit of changing gears early be the reason for clogged DPF and low mileage?
Sameer016 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th February 2023, 15:22   #252
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sameer016 View Post
Hi,

Just want your valuable inputs:

My car is at 27k in about 1.5 years and recently DPF clogged light came up within 03 months of clearing DPF at showroom. Car failed to go beyond 2k. Went to service centre in limp mode, to get it checked. SA said it is usual and bound to happen. They performed DPF regen which involves revving the engine to 3k for, in my case, to 30 mins. SVC experience was very ordinary. SA lacked basic courtesy and etiquettes.

I came from non turbo petrol to this and my daily route includes mix of city and highway with heavy traffic. I usually change my gear at or under 2k rpm and never rev the engine. I follow idling habit too. Strangely, people are getting mileage over 20 but i struggle to touch even 20. My mileage hovers around 16-18 kmpl. DPF regen itself consumes fuel which I find weird.

Could my habit of changing gears early be the reason for clogged DPF and low mileage?
Yes it is. Just rev up your car and have fun, whatever fuel you save by driving it like an uncle with his first Alto is wasted when the service center has to rev your car for 30 mins while it’s going nowhere. Accelerate harder, shift after 3k rpm, drive faster.
Cresterk is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 15th February 2023, 13:59   #253
BHPian

Hello all, booked the Altroz diesel today.

When can we expect the Altroz to be updated with new features as shown at the auto expo'23? Hope it would get its launch by next month as the features shown at the expo already looked like production model. The dealer told me there is no update to altroz for atleast six months. But I know that's a tactic used by them to push the available stocks. Also it's been a while since the Altroz got any feature additions. So expecting some info from you guys regarding this.

Thank you in advance
Maxton07 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th May 2023, 17:37   #254

Altroz Diesel- Buying experience and 6000 kms ownership review.

HISTORY: This is a long story about why I had to part ways with my old car. Please scroll past this to the new car section if not interested

Our cars are not just machines which require regular maintenacne and fuel to carry us safely wherever we want to. We love our cars with all heart and treat it as a family member and it all pays back on that one day when you need your car the most, be it to save you from a major accident or to rush to an office meeting. Something quite similar happened with me previous year on the 11th of June, 2022 when we met with a fatal accident around 3:30 pm. We were travellig from Kolkata to Jamshedour to my uncle's place to consult a doctor. The traffic was close to nil because the previous day there had been inter religion riots in Howrah,West Bengal so there was army intervention and some areas were sealed down. So we made good progress for most part of the journey after which we decided to take a break and switch drivers. My dad was driving until now, but he seemd tired from all the glare of that afternoon sun, so he asked me to drive. As luck would have it, my phone was in my trouser's left pocket and somehow it slipped and fell. i unbuckled my seatbelt to pick it up and then forgot to wear my seatblet. We were now almost 50 kms away from Jamshedpur town and were approaching the intersection where the dreaded accident took place- the place was "DHALBHUMGARH." I could see from almost 500m ahead that a truck was parked or as it seemed to me and my dad, with both left and right wheels left to shouler line. Not even a wheel was protruding out on the highway. So I flashed my lights once and even honked a little and continued with the same speed. Just as we were approaching the truck, it suddenly decided to take a u-turn and turned his wheels and came on the highway. The truck was so long that I had no space left to zig-zag my way out of it. Even if there was some space my high speed wouldn't allow me to turn the steering wheel eveny by an inch. I panicked braked so my wheels had completely locked up as my car had no ABS, and to top that of I was in a non-airbag car without a seatbelt. The car hit the trucks front wheel and it probably jumnped from inertia. Me and my parents gad completely blacked out and when I opened my eyes I saw that my father somehow managed to get out of the car and struggling to breathe, I had hit my forehead on the windscreen and also severed the lower portion of my left arm when it hit the armrest. I somehow kicked opened the door and went round the car shouting "MAA!! MAA!!" and tried to open the left back door. That is when I realised that my left arm was not working and it was bleeding like hell as if someone was pouring a bottle of red wine down my forearm. I blacked out again and luckily there were some people to hold me. They carried me in a police van and then my mother also had to be carried but my could walk. We were then taken to Tata Medical Hospital(TMH) where we got to know that my mother had a shattered shoudler and hip joint. My left forearm was in bad shape and it needed immediate operation. My parents decided that it would be better if we had all medical treatment in Kolkata. So that night we booked an ambulance and rode through the night to Kolkata. The next morning we arrived at Apollo Gleneagles, Kolkata and the three of us were admitted.

Now comes the surprisign part where most people would not believe the car I was driving and how did we manage to come out of it alive.
Tata Altroz 1.5L Diesel : Official Review-20210901_173154.jpg

We were in a 2016 model MS Swit VXI. It's very hard to imagine how this car saved us. I'm sure there was some supernatural power which protected us but still it's beyond my belief.
I'm also attaching some pictures after the accident to realise how major the impact was. I knew that even if the insurance co. somehow manages to pay for the repair it would still be packing a few problems. But unfortunately the repair cost came out to be much higher than the IDV and we had to take that sum of money and let go of our car. That is when I decided to buy altroz.
Tata Altroz 1.5L Diesel : Official Review-img20220611wa0005.jpg

Tata Altroz 1.5L Diesel : Official Review-img20220615wa0009.jpg

Tata Altroz 1.5L Diesel : Official Review-img20220615wa0010.jpg

Tata Altroz 1.5L Diesel : Official Review-img20220615wa0011.jpg

Tata Altroz 1.5L Diesel : Official Review-img20220615wa0015.jpg

Tata Altroz 1.5L Diesel : Official Review-img20220615wa0018.jpg

Tata Altroz 1.5L Diesel : Official Review-img20220617wa0000.jpg

Buying experience

I knew that the safest hatchback back then was the Tata Altroz, so one casual day I decided to call and ask for a test drive of the Altroz(P). I liked the design very much and when i shut the door, I immediately realised it's build quality. The heavy doors, butter smooth steering wheel, ultra light clutch and somewhat smooth gearbox gave me a good first impression. But the bummer came in the form of an underpowered, noisy and harsh 3 cylinder engine.
Having owned swift for almost 6years and polo for 11 years I was truly dissapointed with the three-cylinder NA engine.
Tata Altroz 1.5L Diesel : Official Review-img20220810wa0006.jpg
Yup that's me in the blue t-shirt with still a bandage on my forehead.

As soon as the test drive was over I told the salesman that I wasn't happy with the engine as such, but I would consider this to be in my buying list whilst I TD some other cars. He then suggested that I should try out the diesel engine once. A couple of days later he came round my house again with diesel model, and this it wasn't TD model. The Dealer had himself bought an Altroz(D) for his personal use which surely made me feel confident on the car. It had ran 24000kms and there wasn't a single noise coming from the interior. I was impressed that the clutch was extremely light even in the diesel version. The engine though audible enough, was not harsh. I could feel the vibrations of the petrol engine on the pedals but the diesel somehow was smoother. I may be wrong but the gearshifts in the diesel model felt much smoother than the petrol. As soon as i was on the main road I could clearly feel the superiority of the diesel mill. The engine was way more responsive, it pulled nice and clean in every gear and moreover it had almost no knocking issues. My dad was blown away by the fact that how far diesels have come in terms of refinement. Most people sitting on the inside would not notice that it is a diesel engine unless informed. The diesel pull was very addictive, and boy o boy was I happy with way the car handled. I think after VW, Tata tunes its cars the best in terms of handling and ride comfort. The car was able to overcome all speedreakers and at the same time give me as much confidence through the corners as my Polo does.

I had made up my mind of going with the diesel option, but a premium of 1.25 lacs came as a surprise to me and my dad. With budget being a factor we had initially decided to go with XM+ petrol variant which costed arounnd 8lacs, but the diesel one costed 9.4 lacs, which was out of my father's budget. So we had to downgrade to XE+ and settle for that one. Even that costed 8.5 lacs on-road.

So with a token amount if 11k we booked the car and waited for it to arrive. The car arrived around 40 days later when me and my childhood friend went for the PDI. It was 22nd of October and the car was manufactured in OCTOber itself. I was delighted to have such a fresh car straight out of the factory. The PDI went well and there was another son and father duo who had come for their PDI of the Punch. Since it was their first car, they had little knowledge about it and asked me if I would check the car for them. The car was July made and rest all was okay. Even in that car I felt that the gearbox was not as smooth shifting as my diesel car. Maybe its something to do with the clutch mechanism or not. Don't really know.
Tata Altroz 1.5L Diesel : Official Review-20221022_162650.jpg
Tata Altroz 1.5L Diesel : Official Review-20221022_162750.jpg

I gave go ahead to my dad and he made the rest of the payment and car was delivered to us on the 10th Of November.
Tata Altroz 1.5L Diesel : Official Review-20221110_190751.jpg
Tata Altroz 1.5L Diesel : Official Review-20221110_192550.jpg
Puja done at our preferred Kali Mandir.
Next stop was BP Alipore COCO PUMP on the very next day. This car has been on a strict diet of COCO pump diesel only.
Tata Altroz 1.5L Diesel : Official Review-whatsapp-image-20230524-12.58.10-pm.jpeg

Went for a longish drive to Rajarhat after that to see how the car felt.
Tata Altroz 1.5L Diesel : Official Review-20221116_101301.jpg
Tata Altroz 1.5L Diesel : Official Review-20221116_101328.jpg

1000 kms were covered very fast and reached a service centre close to my home the very next day. Everyone is aware of the state of Tata Service centres but I was very lucky that the one near my house is actually very good. Both the staff and mechanics were very friendly and they welcomed me to freely stand beside my car and watch it getting serviced.
First free service meant just visual insprection of every bit and torqueing all nuts properly. I always believed in changing the oil fter first 1000 kms so went ahead with it. TM Genuine 0w20 oill was used and it claimed to be fully synthetic. Was charged around 3200 for the oil and 300 for the filter.
Tata Altroz 1.5L Diesel : Official Review-20221216_121717.jpg
The engine was a lot smoother post the oil change, and mileage increased as well. I believe this car designed to run endlessly on open highways the way the suspension has been tuned for stability and the way the motor chugs along at 80-90 whilst returning an avg of 25 to 26.

POSITIVES

1) Tata's build quality has actually gone up by a huge leap. The interior is well made as well. There are hardly any squeaks coming the plastic parts and the multimedia buttons seem to be of good enough quality to last long, hopefully.
2) I think the diesel engine is the most sensible choice among the three because it has good power as well as efficiency.
3) Within city without AC this engine delivers stunning mileage, of 16 to 17km/l. And not to forget my daily route is North to South Of Kolkata which is packed with traffic any moment of the day.
4) The steering is in a different level altogether. I have driven the Polo for thousands of kms on the highway but Altroz's steering wheel is more direct as well as responsive.
5)Headlights are actually good and I don't think I will be changing them soon.
6) The Harman music system is truly exceptional at this price point. I wont be changing this as well except put a touch screen system a couple of years later.

NEGATIVES
1) The AC when switched on makes a whinning sound which increases with rise in RPM. Having told TASS they said it was normal in Altroz. Would like to hear from anyone who has a diesel model on this topic.
2) Mileage takes a serious hit with the AC always on. I may be procrastinating but I think the whining sound indicates that something is wrong which is also the reason mileage takes a hit.
Non AC mileage was around 16 to 17 which has dropped to 13 to 14 with ac on. Refuelling has been done only from COCO Pumps and all calculations are based on tank to tank method.

Apart from this the car runs like a dream. Have no problems with it.

Please Note- This is my first post so any corrections would be appreciated.
Signing off,
CHeers.
vivek_saha1304 is offline   (67) Thanks
Old 24th May 2023, 20:31   #255
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Altroz Diesel- Buying experience and 6000 kms ownership review.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivek_saha1304 View Post
This is a long story about why I had to part ways with my old car. Please scroll past this to the new car section if not interested
Welcome to TBHP Vivek, and boy what a post to announce your arrival. Very glad to know that you folks survived with treatable injuries from that accident and are now getting alright. God bless.

Congratulations on the Altroz diesel. Arguably the most beautiful car that a common man can think of buying, that too with a potent and reliable diesel engine. Its a mighty mile muncher. Wish you unlimited happy - and SAFE miles with the car. That red - is my favourite shade of the Altroz. Its a proper show-stopper on the roads. Enjoy it!
Reinhard is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks