Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th September 2020, 15:34   #46

Re: Tata Altroz 1.5L Diesel : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by saion666 View Post
I really like the Altroz. How much I wish that there was a petrol engine like the 1.2s of Suzuki or Hyundai under its bonnet.
This is nothing against your post. However I have just quoted your post only for context. No offence intended.
I would like to add some simple facts as I have been seeing this line of thought about Tata petrol engines being lacklustre in multiple threads and Maruti K-12 and Hyundai Kappa 1.2 being the ultimate panacea in the world of petrol engines. I beg to humbly disagree.

Maruti Suzuki Swift - 855 kg
Maruti Suzuki Baleno - 865 kg
Maruti Suzuki Ignis - 825 kg
Maruti Suzuki Ritz Petrol - 1005 kg

Tata Tiago Petrol - 930 kg
Tata Altroz Petrol - 1036 kg

Hyundai Grand i10 - 935 kg
Hyundai Elite i20 Petrol - 1018 kg

(Disclaimer - I have tried to find weight figures from official reviews in Team-BHP. After the introduction of BS-6 norms, these weights might have increased in proportional figures for all cars. Any discrepancy in the above mentioned figures is unintended. Rather than going after the facts, please try to understand the gist of the matter.)

The Maruti Suzuki Cars with K12 engine setting the roads on fire are Baleno, Swift and Ignis (WagonR with 805 kg). As we can see these are featherweight cars supposedly coming with some space age technology which only Maruti Suzuki has access to in order to make their cars lighter than anyone else in the industry. It appears from the opinion of people siding with Maruti cars is that all the high tensile strength steel in the market has been monopolised by Maruti only. Other safer car making manufacturers are making their cars with cast iron due to the shortage hence adding to their weight.

There was a car from the Maruti stable which even Maruti did not promote “Ritz” weighing a whopping 1005 kg for the petrol version. Now this car featured the hallowed K12 engine too. However surprise surprise, this car did not have earth shattering pickup and returned dismal fuel efficiency as compared to other Maruti cars. I am writing from the experience of driving Ritz petrol for nearly 5000 km which also included a long drive of 2000 km from Goa to Delhi. I had to frequently revv that car to more than 4000 rpm to get a move on. I request people praising stellar pick up in Baleno, Swift and Ignis to load up their cars with 5 passengers and running AC and share their pickup and fuel efficiency observations. They might have interesting points to share.

I do not think I have to write about the virtues of the Hyundai Kappa 1.2’s performance in Elite i20 and its single digit fuel efficiency numbers.

What I would want to infer from the above 2 paras is that if you put any 1.2 engine in a heavy car, you are bound to have sub par fuel efficiency and pick up. The reason Tata is using 3 cylinder petrol is cost saving in materials and supposedly better fuel efficiency than a 4 cylinder engine. If people are so fed up with the lack of performance in Tata petrol engines, I request you to petition the Government to change the hare brained rule of tax incentives for Engines less than 1200 cc. Otherwise there are many safety compromised cars with stellar pickup and fuel efficiency from other car manufacturers. Here you are barking against the wrong tree. There are only some things that Tata can do against physics and thermal efficiency in the pursuit of delivering above 100 bhp and fuel efficiency of above 20 kmpl from 1200cc naturally aspirated engine in a crash worthy, safe and heavy car with awesome build quality.

There was no hue and cry from the customers or anyone on our forum for testing the Tiago in Global NCAP, still Tata went ahead and Tiago received a glowing 4 stars. Please remember before comparing Tiago with Swift and Baleno that they are mid B segment cars while Tiago competes in the A segment.

I request people citing the ASEAN NCAP and Euro NCAP or Australian NCAP crash test results for the cars from Hyundai and Maruti Suzuki to please petition Hyundai and Maruti to send their Indian manufactured cars to Global NCAP testing. Till Indian manufactured cars of these manufacturers are not tested, I will stick to them not being safe at all. I urge BHPians and other readers who would like to have cars tested under the supposedly diluted crash norms under Bharat NCAP, please drive your cars at Indian Highway speeds at your own risk. You may have some surprises in store.

This post is not to offend owners of Maruti and Hyundai cars. You guys have voted with your wallet. However constant bombarding of same kind of posts on Tata threads is just not done. This is akin to commenting about poor fuel efficiency of Hyundai Kappa 1.2 in Elite i20 in every Hyundai thread. You see this is Altroz diesel thread and diesel engine is in no way underpowered.

Further this post in not intended against the OP and if the post is found off topic, I request the Mods to delete this post. I am not the know it all of automobiles. This is just an opinion and I am willing to be corrected by the more knowledgeable BHPians.

Last edited by Aditya : 10th September 2020 at 04:49. Reason: Please avoid overusing bold font
Seenz is online now   (78) Thanks
Old 9th September 2020, 16:24   #47
BHPian

A great product by TATA and as usual , They are missing the bus purposefully. I will expect an automatic to be launched in late 2021, by then they will remove many features from the current version.

I think TATA has not learned from the mistakes they did with HARRIER :(
Old 13th September 2020, 15:59   #48
Distinguished - BHPian

Great review of the Altroz Diesel by GTO / Team-BHP. I too had the Tata Altroz with me the last weekend & here is my video/review for the Tata Altroz 1.5 Diesel;

Likes;

- Attractive Looks, Both Exteriors & Interiors. (The Altroz is surely an handsome looking car, both inside & out & is a strong positive. Will be its USP)
- Ride Quality & Handling Balance is again well engineered. (Some may feel the ride quality is not great, but i feel for a 16" setup its good enough. Reducing Tyre Pressure may help further)
- Safety (5* NCAP) & Features (With 5 Star NCAP rating its the best in the business & also compliments with a host of features on offer & my favourite being the Harman 6 Speaker System)
- Space (Another big attraction for the prospective buyers)

Dislikes;

- No Automatic Variants is a big miss (Hope TATA Motors have something lined up very soon.)
- Pricing Gap/Premium between Petrol & Diesel Variants. (I too feel that the price delta between the Petrol & the Diesel is too much, this Diesel engine deserved a lower starting price just around the base Petrol.)
- 1.5L Diesel should have received higher state of tune i.e. Nexon Spec. (The chassis deserved it.)
- Service Experience, Fit & Finish (Tata Motors' Service has still has had mixed reviews, Fit & Finish though much better than previous cars but still not upto the EU/German Car levels. Im sure its a WIP but glad to notice the change/transition)

Exteriors;

- 1st product from the combination of Alfa Platform & Impact Design 2.0 for Tata Motors
- One of the very few cars where the use of chrome is minimal.
- Love the blackened treatment of headlights, taillights, mirrors, roof & other blackened bits.
- Love the side profile too
- Only thing i disliked about the design is the 4 spoke alloy wheel design, would have loved it if the alloy wheel design from the 45X Concept could have been productionised.
- But overall the Altroz is a Design Ace.

Interiors;

- Anyone who liked the Nexons Interiors would also like the interiors of the Altroz.
- Extremely well designed interiors, dashboard & steering wheel.
- Touch Screen has been developed by Harman & 7 " is just the right size. Im not a fan of large screens anyway, so ergonomically this fits in perfectly.
- The reverse camera quality is not great.
- Love the 6 speaker Harman system (100 W) which is really good for the segment.
- The rear seat is sufficiently large for a hatchback, i believe this is the widest hatchback in the segment currently, not sure exactly.
- The marketed flat floor is almost flat.
- Anyway the overall comfort, legroom, Space remains strong & the Altroz's strength.
- Some other noteworthy features include Rain Sensing Wipers, Auto Headlamps, Android/Apple connectivity, Wearable SmartKey & ISOFIX.

Platform;

- The Altroz is the 1st product based on the ALFA (Agile, Light, Flexible, Advanced) Platform.
- It is also a very flexible platform that can be used not only for hatchbacks which this is but also can be stretched for a sedan, a SUV & other body styles.
- In fact this platform can be used in combination with JLR adopted Omega platform too to again give birth to new products & Tata Motors has about 12-14 new products lined up in the near future. I believe the E Vision Sedan too will be a product of this ALFA Platform in the coming future.

Driving (Engine & Gearbox);

Engine;

- 1.5 Diesel (Approx 90 HP & 200 NM)
- This engine has been developed in-house by Tata motors with inputs from their global suppliers like Bosch, Mahle & Honeywell.
- Diesel was initially only available on paper (delayed) as it was positioned to launch with the BS6 engine/BS6 Fuel availability, Then Lockdown happened & finally around July 2020 the actual deliveries started.
- Would have loved the Nexon Tune but this detuned version too is excellent on everyday drivability and fun (Note: The Altroz is approx 200 Kgs lighter than Nexon)
- Overall refinement levels very good.

Gearbox;

- The Engine as we know by now is a detuned version of the 1.5L Diesel from the Nexon but also a Gear is missing (Nexon with the same Diesel engine had 6 gears) as this has only 5.
- That's all interconnected because the Nexons gearbox could not get packaged in the Altroz due to space constraints, hence they had to use the 5 speed Gearbox from the Tiago & that gearbox is old as that was used in the Indica eV2.
- The 5 Speed Gearbox is TA-65 where as the 6 speed Gearbox is T6300 (Higher Torque Limit).
- Why is the Automatic Delayed ? I'm told that Tata is working out a Dual Clutch Transmission for this Alfa Platform & Altroz will most probably come with a turbo petrol + A/T combination, lets wait & watch.

Suspension (Ride Quality/Handling);

- Usually in Tata Cars the Ride quality overshadows the handling department. But for the Altroz the Suspension seems to have been tuned for handling.
- This is naturally felt as the speeds build up & the maturity of the suspension is noticed then.
- The ride quality is not bad too its just that the recommended tyre pressure 35 psi is too high to reduce the rolling drag, may be to please the folks at ARAI for FE. But the ride quality should get better if you reduce the tyre pressure to around 32 psi & in my opinion should be the sweet spot for ride quality, handling & braking.
- The way this car is stanced & also the Ground Clearance is rated at 165 mm (relatively low) which also announces Tata's intention that they are positioning this hatchback as a sporty one.

Conclusion;

In addition to all the points made above and a more detailed view shared in my video I have no doubt that the modularity of this ALFA platform will also give rise to many more variants & especially a Turbo Petrol, Automatic & an all electric ALTROZ too sometime in the future, until then lets enjoy the Internal Combustion engines & my pick from the current Altroz line up is this Diesel.

Last edited by Sheel : 13th September 2020 at 16:14. Reason: Minor typo.
karan561 is online now   (37) Thanks
Old 13th September 2020, 16:41   #49
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karan561 View Post
Great review of the Altroz Diesel by GTO / Team-BHP. I too had the Tata Altroz with me the last weekend & here is my video/review for the Tata Altroz 1.5 Diesel;

Thank you for that nice detailed review Karan.

Who else would be the better guy than you to throw us light on the comparison between the sweet Figo 1.5 and the Altroz 1.5 diesels??

As an owner of the Figo diesel, how would the Altroz stack up against your car? I mean, from the point of view of a spirited driver.
PrasannaDhana is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 14th September 2020, 11:24   #50
Senior - BHPian

Tata Motors on Monday announced that its Altroz hatchback will be the official partner of the upcoming IPL 2020. This will be the car maker's third year of association with the BCCI. Altroz follows Nexon and Harrier from Tata in becoming the official partner of IPL.

The player with the highest strike rate at the end of the tournament will win the car, and Altroz Super Strike Trophy with prize of Rs 100,000.

https://auto.hindustantimes.com/auto...062148062.html
Venkatesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th September 2020, 11:41   #51
KPR
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by karan561 View Post
The ride quality is not bad too its just that the recommended tyre pressure 35 psi is too high to reduce the rolling drag, may be to please the folks at ARAI for FE. But the ride quality should get better if you reduce the tyre pressure to around 32 psi & in my opinion should be the sweet spot for ride quality, handling & braking.
That's a very important finding. I know how a 32 psi makes the ride and 35 psi breaks it in my punto with 16" alloys. BTW did you measure 35 psi during your TD?
KPR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th September 2020, 13:19   #52
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrasannaDhana View Post
Thank you for that nice detailed review Karan.
Thanks Prasanna for your appreciation

Quote:
Who else would be the better guy than you to throw us light on the comparison between the sweet Figo 1.5 and the Altroz 1.5 diesels??
As an owner of the Figo diesel, how would the Altroz stack up against your car? I mean, from the point of view of a spirited driver.
My 1.5 Diesel Figo is faster & feels more chuckable in comparison to the Altroz. However the Altroz Diesel is better on refinement and feels more robust/stable at higher speeds. Also i prefer the clutch on the Figo which is not this soft, it helps in spirited driving & also while in traffic has better actuation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPR View Post
That's a very important finding. I know how a 32 psi makes the ride and 35 psi breaks it in my punto with 16" alloys. BTW did you measure 35 psi during your TD?
I did not check the tyre pressure myself but as this was a press/fleet car had picked up from the Tata Service Centre i understand they would have reset/checked the tyre pressure as recommended.
karan561 is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 20th September 2020, 22:38   #53
Senior - BHPian

Tata Altroz diesel gets a silent price cut

Tata Motors has corrected the prices of the Altroz diesel (Tata Altroz 1.5L Diesel : Official Review) by Rs. 40,000. The car sees a downward revision of its prices across all variants except the base variant.

The Altroz was launched back in January 2020. Initially, only the petrol variants were made available and the diesels came in later. Prices for the diesel varied from Rs. 6.99 lakh to Rs. 9.29 lakh (ex-showroom). In August 2020, all variants got a price hike to the tune of Rs. 16,000 (except the base diesel variant).

At present, there are only three diesel hatchbacks on sale in India and the Altroz is one of them. It uses a 1.5-litre, 4-cylinder turbocharged diesel unit that puts out 89 BHP @ 4,000 rpm and 200 Nm @ 1,250-3,000 rpm.

The Altroz also comes with a 1.2-litre, 3-cylinder, naturally aspirated petrol engine that produces 85 BHP @ 6,000 rpm and 113 Nm @ 3,300 rpm. Both engines come paired with a 5-speed manual transmission.

Altroz Diesel revised prices:

XM - Rs. 7.50 lakh
XT - Rs. 8.19 lakh
XZ - Rs. 8.79 lakh
XZ (O) - Rs. 8.95 lakh

Tata Altroz 1.5L Diesel : Official Review-19.jpg

Source

Link to the Team-BHP News

Last edited by blackwasp : 20th September 2020 at 22:39.
blackwasp is offline   (36) Thanks
Old 21st September 2020, 00:22   #54
Senior - BHPian

This must be the Sonet effect I presume. A price cut within just few months of a car's launch is otherwise an unlikely affair. So who's next in line?
Bibendum90949 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 21st September 2020, 00:26   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibendum90949 View Post
This must be the Sonet effect I presume. A price cut within just few months of a car's launch is otherwise an unlikely affair. So who's next in line?

A welcome change in pricing. This should help the Altroz hold the diesel hatch market even stronger until the next gen i20 comes.....and possibly even after that!
theAutomaniac is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 21st September 2020, 12:37   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seenz View Post

What I would want to infer from the above 2 paras is that if you put any 1.2 engine in a heavy car, you are bound to have sub par fuel efficiency and pick up. The reason Tata is using 3 cylinder petrol is cost saving in materials and supposedly better fuel efficiency than a 4 cylinder engine. If people are so fed up with the lack of performance in Tata petrol engines, I request you to petition the Government to change the hare brained rule of tax incentives for Engines less than 1200 cc. Otherwise there are many safety compromised cars with stellar pickup and fuel efficiency from other car manufacturers. Here you are barking against the wrong tree. There are only some things that Tata can do against physics and thermal efficiency in the pursuit of delivering above 100 bhp and fuel efficiency of above 20 kmpl from 1200cc naturally aspirated engine in a crash worthy, safe and heavy car with awesome build quality.

There was no hue and cry from the customers or anyone on our forum for testing the Tiago in Global NCAP, still Tata went ahead and Tiago received a glowing 4 stars. Please remember before comparing Tiago with Swift and Baleno that they are mid B segment cars while Tiago competes in the A segment.
Goodness me!
You just said everything what I had in my mind. I 100% agree with you on whatever you have wrote. A 1.2L engine pulling a realtively 200kg lighter car will automatically result into punchy performance. I really feel that the Tata's 1.2 L mill is not underpowered, instead it lacks the refinement of the 4 cylinder mills of the K12 or Kappa 1.2. The i20 is a comparatively heavier vehicle and the T-BHP official review clearly states it as underpowered. But it's sheer refinement is on next level. Had Tata tuned the engine more efficiently and making it more silent just like Ford's 1.2 Dragon engine, it would have been a great topup to an otherwise fantastic product.

This raises a question in my mind. Would you buy a more safer car and VFM car with an adequate engine or would you compromise on the safety and quality front and get a so called lively engine?

Note: Mods if you find this question irrelevant to this thread feel free to move this somewhere else. My sincere apologies for any mistakes.

Cheers!
chiefpk is offline   (22) Thanks
Old 21st September 2020, 16:58   #57
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
This is just an opinion and I am willing to be corrected by the more knowledgeable BHPians.
Superb post, well articulated - irrefutable logic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiefpk View Post
You just said everything what I had in my mind.

Cheers!
Thanks for quoting the post, else I might have missed it.

Until the Altroz turbo arrives, the petrol will be criticised as underpowered, anaemic, etc. After the turbo arrives, it will merely be criticised for its lack of fuel efficiency

A late wake up, yet a required price correction for the diesel should hopefully keep the Altroz in the top selling cars until the launch of the new i20, as others have mentioned.
VeluM is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2020, 01:12   #58
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiefpk View Post
Would you buy a more safer car and VFM car with an adequate engine or would you compromise on the safety and quality front and get a so called lively engine?
Very thought provoking question. Ideal combination for me:

A safe and reliable car

Safety is no doubt a very high priority. But an equally if not more important criteria is that it should not leave me stranded in undesirable place while traveling with family especially.

I like to believe that Tata has started achieving that reliability and with each new model it looks like they are heading in the right path.

Last edited by Arjun Bharadwaj : 22nd September 2020 at 01:16. Reason: Added a point
Arjun Bharadwaj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2020, 15:53   #59

Quote:
Maruti Suzuki Swift - 855 kg
Maruti Suzuki Baleno - 865 kg
Maruti Suzuki Ignis - 825 kg
Maruti Suzuki Ritz Petrol - 1005 kg

Tata Tiago Petrol - 930 kg
Tata Altroz Petrol - 1036 kg

Hyundai Grand i10 - 935 kg
Hyundai Elite i20 Petrol - 1018 kg
100% agree on this. I have owned Baleno Petrol for 4 years and the weight theory is correct. Baleno pulls like a charm with 1-2 people on-board but if it is fully occupied with AC on, overtaking manoeuvre becomes risky. I used to switch off AC and call it a nitro boost

But the refinement was at another level. Even in the 4th year of ownership I had tried to crank engine while it was idling. Coming to Hexa after Baleno, engine noise and refinement is probably the only thing I miss.
omzworld is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2020, 17:15   #60
BHPian

Tata Altroz diesel prices slashed by up to Rs 40,000

- https://www.autocarindia.com/car-new...s-40000-418662
dsmatharu is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks