Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Old 4th May 2021, 07:58   #121
BHPian

Default Re: Tata Altroz 1.5L Diesel : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrasannaDhana View Post
I have been doing repeated test drives of both the cars. Honestly, the Figo feels a bit overrated to me. The altroz diesel is not much slower than the Figo, handles as good as the Figo too
One needs to have an extended test drive of Figo TDCI to really understand it's prowess. Altroz or Tata 1.5 Diesel in general are well tuned however falls behind 1.5 TDCI with driveability, on the road power, NVH, FTD and FE. Overall as a package Altroz is a way superior car over Figo. The built and features on Altroz are quite modern and VFM. One can take it that the price paid for Figo is purely for the engine + GB, Chasis and the low cost of ownership. Features, built, part quality are inferior to many modern day hatchbacks.
VWAllstar is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 4th May 2021, 10:14   #122
Senior - BHPian

I upgraded from Tata Tigor to Ford Figo, in terms of ownership experience, Ford simply is a decade ahead in terms of QC. Everything works as intended, which was never the case with Tata.

P.S: biggest negative against Ford is their future plan for India. Doesn't make any sense to buy their car if they are planning to leave.
Old 4th May 2021, 10:16   #123
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VWAllstar View Post
One can take it that the price paid for Figo is purely for the engine + GB, Chasis and the low cost of ownership. Features, built, part quality are inferior to many modern day hatchbacks.
Engine I agree, but gearbox I don't think so. Just because the clutch is harder than most cars and has a longer throw.

A nice GB + engine combo in the segment definitely goes to Polo tsi.
Old 4th May 2021, 10:48   #124
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Engine I agree, but gearbox I don't think so. Just because the clutch is harder than most cars and has a longer throw.

A nice GB + engine combo in the segment definitely goes to Polo tsi.
But then they don't have a diesel! Figo excels only w.r.to diesel, petrol motor is just about average. Figo is smaller, lighter and feels nimble. Altroz is focused more on comfort. Figo in its current avatar meets requirement of niche customers and folks who are happy with Ford.
Old 4th May 2021, 11:54   #125
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I have been doing repeated test drives of both the cars. Honestly, the Figo feels a bit overrated to me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by VWAllstar View Post
One needs to have an extended test drive of Figo TDCI to really understand it's prowess. Altroz or Tata 1.5 Diesel in general are well tuned however falls behind 1.5 TDCI with driveability, on the road power, NVH, FTD and FE.
I agree with Prasanna here. The Ford 1.5 is very good, no doubt about it. But I feel it is over-rated.

Having extensively driven my father-in-law's Freestyle and a friend's Ecosport, both fairly new and well maintained, I must say they're good when looked independently. But when I bring my Seltos into the picture, I found the driveability and NVH was much better in my car. And the older Hyundai 1.4D has even better driveability in my opinion, as experienced on the Creta. Given that Creta and Seltos are slightly heavier than the Freestyle, I was expecting things to be different.

That said, the FTD and FE are better on the Fords.

Here's my observation that I shared after spending a week with the Ford.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashis89 View Post
During my stay at Bolangir, I also made a trip to Bargarh to visit my aunt and chose to take my FIL's Freestyle TDCi. This gave me a chance to compare both the cars along the same route and traffic condition. The Ford is 2+ years old and run 16k kms while the KIA is 1+ year old and run 18k kms.

A brief comparison after spending 7 days with both the cars including a 150 km highway drive:

- The Ford starts with a big shake and sounds louder at idle compared to the KIA. The clatter settles down once the engine warms up. On the move, the Ford is very silent until you rev it beyond 2500 rpm. The cabin insulation is very good too.

- The gears are a bit notchy and need a little effort to engage when the car is cold. They ease up after few kms but KIA is smoother.

- Steering is heavier on the Ford and provides very good feedback. Again KIA is lighter and provides equal confidence on the road. I would choose the KIA here.

- Ford's suspension is stiffer and has slightly lesser body roll than the KIA. KIA is slightly softer and more comfortable on bad roads when you slow down. When at speed, the Ford eats up the rumblers better. To note, KIA has high profile tyres while Ford has low profile ones.

- Ford has an aggressive anti-stall tuning and a better pick-up in the turbo range. KIA feels more linear here. However feels more rev-happy beyond 3k rpm.

- Low end torque is much better in the KIA. Slow down and you can still pull away happily in higher gears with RPM hovering around the +/-1000 mark. On the other hand, the Ford eggs you to downshift unless you want to ride the clutch.

- Clutch is heavier on the Ford and frequent gear changes will tire you faster.

- High seating and good visibility on the Ford never makes you feel that you are driving a hatchback! Very good ground clearance too.

- Very good brakes on the Ford though I was doing 80-100 kmph throughout the trip. I never felt the brakes to be any lesser than the KIA at those speeds.

- I could hear some rattles from the dashboard and boot area in the Ford.

- Two shortcomings that I found in the Ford - lack of underthigh support and side bolstering on the front seat and poor headlights.
ashis89 is online now   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed