Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd September 2020, 11:17   #61

Re: Tata Altroz 1.5L Diesel : Official Review

How does the Tata Altroz stock up against the Ford Freestyle? Which is the better buy considering both are similarly priced for the top spec diesel variants?
Old 23rd September 2020, 12:08   #62
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azharumon View Post
How does the Tata Altroz stock up against the Ford Freestyle? Which is the better buy considering both are similarly priced for the top spec diesel variants?
This is how it stacks up. As per BHPians, both are currently almost at par on votes.

Diesel Hatchback Member ratings (India has just 3 diesel hatchbacks on sale today!)

Tata Altroz 1.5L Diesel : Official Review-altrozfreestyle.jpg

Last edited by Reinhard : 23rd September 2020 at 12:11.
Reinhard is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2020, 12:54   #63
Distinguished - BHPian

I find it surprising when some BHPians feel Figo blue or Freestyle to be a safer car than the Altroz just because they have 4 extra airbags. I am curious, isn't a stronger, structurally more stable frame more important than a less safer frame with extra airbags(solely on basis of 5* vs 3*) ?
PrasannaDhana is online now   (21) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2020, 23:09   #64
Senior - BHPian

Does the Altroz Diesel come in DPF+SCR configuration?, (with AdBlue tank), Or does it have the LNT setup?
arjab is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th September 2020, 07:11   #65
KPR
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Either TATA should have given the Nexon tune and gearbox to match the pricing, or priced the Altroz diesel in-line with the specs! Hopefully that happens soon.
Cost cut happened so soon . Never seen a new product undergoing cost cut this soon. Next? Nexon tune in Altroz to be released when new i20 comes to market?

Last edited by KPR : 24th September 2020 at 07:13.
KPR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th September 2020, 14:15   #66
Distinguished - BHPian

Sorry for the
I happened to have a look at the new Hyundai i20, and let me tell you, it looks absolutely premium inside out. Definitely much premium than the Altroz internally, and the paint quality was amazing too.

The rear doesn't look as polarising as we have seen in pics but has one 1 inch(3 cm) Chrome line passing through the entire width of the rear.

Gets an Altroz like gloss back below the rear window line, a 10 inch touchscreen ICE on the dash like the Kias, and Bose music system. AC controls have physical buttons too. The Speedo console is all digital like in the Verna, same design.

The gloss black treatment continues at the bottom most part of the rear bumper. The grille is all black with just the Hyundai logo in chrome. Again, gloss black at the bottom of front bumper. Fog lamp housings are triangular at the front. The number plate has no other placement provision than the spot below the logo, in front of the grill.

All black interiors. There are five parallel horizontal slats that run from the passenger side all through the dash, with horizontal ac vents merging along. Looks classy.

The bonnet has a central bulge, and also flares a little high towards the headlamps at the sides.

The colour shades look eerily similar to those of altroz.

Definitely will make life worse for Altroz. But again, I believe it will also be considerably more expensive than the Tata variant to variant. Personally, I would pay more for the Hyundai.

Sorry for not sharing the pics in view of the benefit of the source.

Last edited by PrasannaDhana : 24th September 2020 at 14:39. Reason: Adding point
PrasannaDhana is online now   (16) Thanks
Old 24th September 2020, 15:40   #67
Senior - BHPian

If Tata Motors would re-look their strategy, the Altroz can take on Sonet in a TC automatic avatar. Pricing needs to be revisited. I feel it falls in the same consideration set. In the coming days I see Sonet selling in huge numbers, having seen the crowded showrooms
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrasannaDhana View Post
I happened to have a look at the new Hyundai i20, and let me tell you, it looks absolutely premium inside out. Definitely much premium than the Altroz internally, and the paint quality was amazing too.
Old 25th September 2020, 13:04   #68
BHPian

The diesel might be a great engine, but it will only live up to its potential in sales numbers if the dealers have test drive vehicles. No dealer in Mumbai has a diesel Altroz in the test drive fleet. Only one dealer in MMR, all the way in Kalyan has a Diesel altroz. Also the sales advisor I met in Mumbai clearly hadn't driven the Altroz diesel, cause otherwise he would have suggested me as much when I was dissapointed with the petrol engine and I told him that I would have actually booked the car if the engine was better.

PS: This happened just 1 week ago.
Old 27th September 2020, 23:57   #69
BHPian

Hi,

I previously owned a used Fiat Linea 2009 1.3 MJD for 3 years, drove just over 50,000 km (1.45L km on odo now). I faced a lot of reliability issues throughout the 3 years of ownership, since the previous owner hadn't maintained it well. I loved the highway manners. Anyway, I sold it last week. I wanted to buy a Nexon XZ+ D for the extra bhp, torque and GC. However, my parents were not convinced on spending 13.45L on a car. So I had to settle on Altroz, which has same spec as Linea. I am confident it has better FE than Linea. (I would buy only a Tata, since Tata won't leave India, their focus on safety, and low maintenance).

I test drove it today and booked Tata Altroz XZ Diesel (Red). 95 percent of my usage is on the highway. I feel weird to admit, but turbo lags never really bother me. However, the turbo lag is so very improved in Altroz.

Well, I had 3 concerns : 1) Low GC. But its comparable to Linea, so thats okay. 2) 185mm tires on Diesel cars. is there a reason for providing narrower tires for Diesel variants ? 3) Absence of under body shielding. And there's no official accessory. Can something be done for that ?

Also, Please advise on the accessories. Following are in my mind :
1) Floor mat - Showroom
2) Foot mat - After market
3) Dash mat - Showroom - Will this be required ?
4) Body cover - After market. Will this cause any issue with the paint ?
5) Seat cover - After market.
6) Car vacuum cleaner - Showroom - Will this be required ?

Have I missed any thing on the accessories.? Please recommend addition, deletion or modification.

PS : I plan on buying a full size spare alloy/steel rim for spare. Not sure I can stand the 165/80 R14 spare wheel (Or was it smaller).
Benoit is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th September 2020, 05:48   #70
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benoit View Post
Hi,

Well, I had 3 concerns : 1) Low GC. But its comparable to Linea, so thats okay. 2) 185mm tires on Diesel cars. is there a reason for providing narrower tires for Diesel variants ? 3) Absence of under body shielding. And there's no official accessory. Can something be done for that ?

3) Dash mat - Showroom - Will this be required ?

6) Car vacuum cleaner - Showroom - Will this be required ?

1. Ground clearance - Will not be an issue because the wheel base is also large. I drive a 4.5 meter Ciaz with similar ground clearance but haven't had any issues so far.

2. 185 mm tires - Do you know, our Honda City SV came with 175 mm tires Even the top spec Swift still comes with 185 mm tires. In my opinion 185 mm is a good size for 90bhp, while you can easily accommodate 195s on the same alloy

Regarding accessories, you missed one important necessity today - Dash cam. Believe me, it's a must have in today's road environment.

Dash mat? Hell no!!

Car vaccum cleaner, it's good to have, but not necessary if you ask me.

The 90bhp 1.3 of linea is very different from the 90bhp 1.5 of the Altroz. There will be a very noticeable difference with the driveability. We people who are used to our 1.3 MJDs and it's low end lag will definitely love the change.
PrasannaDhana is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 28th September 2020, 08:26   #71
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrasannaDhana View Post
185 mm is a good size for 90bhp,

Regarding accessories, you missed one important necessity today - Dash cam. Believe me, it's a must have in today's road environment.
Thanks. I am okay with 185 mm. What I meant was, Petrol Altroz wears 195mm tyre and Diesel Altroz wears 185mm tyres. I wanted to know if only cost cutting was the reason, or if there were any other reasons.

Dash cam - Sure, thanks. Will install it.

I missed to ask one more thing : I have opted for the extended warranty that extends for 3 years (unlimited km) beyond the default warranty of 2 years. I was told there was a Gold AMC and a silver AMC. I haven't spoken to the Service Manager to inquire about it. He was not available since it was a Sunday.

Also, what caught me surprised was : Nexon silver AMC costs Rs 4150 and Altroz silver AMC costs Rs 5699! I asked about it, they said, Nexon has been on sale for a long time and its spares are manufactured a lot and its cheaper. I told them it makes no sense.

Anyway, I told them I would let them know today. Which AMC should I choose? Is there something other than these 2? The sales guy said, AMC can be used to replace a malfunctioning part for free. Then, what is a warranty for? They said, periodic service would cost around between 4.5 - 5k, then why would anyone opt for an AMC costing 5700?

Mod Note : Please put a space, after a punctuation mark, not before it.
Thanks.

Last edited by Sheel : 28th September 2020 at 09:40. Reason: Mod note attached.
Old 28th September 2020, 12:48   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benoit View Post
Thanks. I am okay with 185 mm. What I meant was, Petrol Altroz wears 195mm tyre and Diesel Altroz wears 185mm tyres. I wanted to know if only cost cutting was the reason, or if there were any other reasons.
That could be the case because diesel was already very expensive. But, another logical reasoning would be to use a taller profile tyre to support the extra weight of the diesel motor and keep tyre pressure within comfortable range. The sidewall is 4mm taller than petrol tyre.

As far as I remember, same was the case with BS4 Tiago. Petrol came with 15" wheels whereas diesel came with 14".

That is my reasoning. Feel free to correct or add anything.
mega_wattt is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 29th September 2020, 08:50   #73
BANNED

Altroz crosses 25000 units mark.

Tata Altroz 1.5L Diesel : Official Review-tataaltrozproduction25000milestone11068x601.jpg

Tata Altroz 1.5L Diesel : Official Review-img_20200929_084651.jpg

Link
wheelguy is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 29th September 2020, 09:36   #74
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benoit
They said, periodic service would cost around between 4.5 - 5k, then why would anyone opt for an AMC costing 5700?
What’s the Altroz’ service interval? Is it 6 months? In that case the AMC makes sense for ₹5700.
As far as the thing about “replacing malfunctioning parts for free” is concerned, that’s seems like hogwash to close the sale.
Old 30th September 2020, 08:12   #75
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeKay View Post
What’s the Altroz’ service interval? Is it 6 months? In that case the AMC makes sense for ₹5700.
6 month- check up, oil top up, wheel alignment and balancing.
1 year- General service, wheel alignment and balancing.

My doubt was, the same thing cost 4150 for Nexon, but 5700 for Altroz. Also, there was a Gold amc for Rs 9099, which would include replacement of wearable parts, such as wiper blades and break pads. I am not sure I would need the gold amc until the end of first two years. So, I have opted for Silver amc.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks