Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th October 2020, 07:16   #76
BHPian

Re: Tata Altroz 1.5L Diesel : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benoit View Post
I missed to ask one more thing : I have opted for the extended warranty that extends for 3 years (unlimited km) beyond the default warranty of 2 years. I was told there was a Gold AMC and a silver AMC.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeKay View Post
What’s the Altroz’ service interval? Is it 6 months? In that case the AMC makes sense for ₹5700.
So let me give you a word of advice on Tata's AMC Vs Extended Warranty.
How to answer the question - Should I take it ?

Extended Warranty - ABSOLUTELY, without any doubt. Take whatever max you get. Don’t think twice. If you or me are on this forum for so long, someday you will come back and thank me.
But now, extended warranty only protects against manufacturing defects.

So what about AMC ?
This one is a bit tricky to decide and my own thoughts are as below.
Service interval - Tata cars have Yearly major servicing and 6 monthly minor servicing.
AMC covers general wear and tear parts including service costs and some labour costs.
I feel it should be decided based on your running KMs needs. That means if you are one of those who drive 1500+kms in a month, take the AMC. it will be beneficial.
I have a few owners who have got their brake pads changed twice in 3 years as they had heavy running and covered 1 Lakh KMs in 3 years.
It covers a lot of other small stuff and the service staff is usually fine to accommodate parts change etc when there is AMC available.

So decide based on your running needs.
swarnava.ch is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 6th October 2020, 14:30   #77
Senior - BHPian

I saw few Altroz every time go out to drive. Generally, those are ones with alloys & fatter tyres. However, seen a couple of Altroz with thinner rubber & must comment that it looks horrible on thinner tyres. This car begs for wider rubber, just for aesthetics, & looks fab on larger tyres with thinner profile tyres IMO.
CARDEEP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th October 2020, 21:43   #78
Senior - BHPian

Tata altroz with 17-inch wheels, modified at pitstopcustomz.ind

Tata Altroz 1.5L Diesel : Official Review-smartselect_20201011213753_instagram.jpg

Tata Altroz 1.5L Diesel : Official Review-smartselect_20201011213806_instagram.jpg

Tata Altroz 1.5L Diesel : Official Review-smartselect_20201011213839_instagram.jpg

Tata Altroz 1.5L Diesel : Official Review-smartselect_20201011213826_instagram.jpg

https://www.instagram.com/p/CGNC82DJ...=1iupunadty9g7

https://instagram.com/pitstopcustomz...d=2l66b4z82fwj
Venkatesh is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 13th October 2020, 00:07   #79
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkatesh View Post
Tata altroz with 17-inch wheels, modified at pitstopcustomz.ind
This mod actually goes to show how hot the stock design of the Altroz really is. One glance at this mod-job and I cringed and remembered just how well the stock Altroz looks. No offence of course, to each his/her own. I just didn't like the outcome here.
Reinhard is offline   (36) Thanks
Old 13th October 2020, 12:07   #80
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
This mod actually goes to show how hot the stock design of the Altroz really is. One glance at this mod-job and I cringed and remembered just how well the stock Altroz looks. No offence of course, to each his/her own. I just didn't like the outcome here.
Absolutely, these alloys somehow are not going well with rest of the car's elegant design and color scheme, blacked out alloys would look much better.
S.MJet is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 13th October 2020, 14:01   #81
BHPian

Those alloys does not go well with the car. Stock Altroz looks way better. Not a fan of the width too..simply an overkill.
Old 19th October 2020, 18:48   #82
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
• On the open road, the Altroz 1.5L Diesel is so much superior to its n/a petrol sibling.
Does the Altroz Diesel run a SCR-DPF-AdBlue configuration or the cheaper LNT, (Lean NOx Trap) setup?
arjab is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th October 2020, 19:22   #83
anb
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjab View Post
Does the Altroz Diesel run a SCR-DPF-AdBlue configuration or the cheaper LNT, (Lean NOx Trap) setup?
Altroz has LNT and DPF like the sub 2L diesel engines.
anb is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 15th November 2020, 16:22   #84
BHPian

Ownership update :

Took delivery of my Altroz XZ D on October 16, 2020. I have covered 2700 km so far. Maintained <2000 rpm until 1000 km and <2500 rpm until 1500 km. I haven't read the manual yet. Couldn't find time. Will do it soon.

My driving style is 100-120 kmph. I haven't calculated accurately, but roughly the car delivers 18-19 kmpl for my driving style. It's 2 more than what i got in my previous Linea MJD. Since it has crossed the 1500 km mark, i wasn't maintaining within my speed limits. In the top gear, at 2000 rpm, speed is slightly lower than 94 kmph. Touched 120 at 2500 rpm. I am absolutely satisfied with this. I think Nexon touches 120 at 2250 rpm. To conclude, performance is not a drastic fall from Nexon.

What i love in the car is the stability. I have to admit, I feel it has surpassed Linea. What I don't like is that the mobile keeping area doesn't hold my mobile (iPhone 11) well when connected to the charger cable. The headlamp needs an upgrade. Planning to do it in a couple months.

Issues: First and reverse gears were slightly notchy until the first service. The service advisor said that in course of time it will be alright. Seems to have improved now. Also had the issue of apple car play disconnecting. But it happens rarely. Unable to reproduce it. SA said the software is in its latest version. Happened 4,5 times so far.

Have been driving only on plains so far. Madurai to Chennai highway (GST road). Are we supposed to cover certain distance before we take it to hill stations? My father owns an engine reconditioning workshop. He recommended at least 5000 km before going to hills. Please advise.

Last edited by Aditya : 28th November 2020 at 23:01. Reason: Mention of overspeeding deleted
Benoit is offline   (23) Thanks
Old 28th November 2020, 13:17   #85
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Quote:
Ownership update :
Took delivery of my Altroz XZ D on October 16, 2020. I have covered 2700 km so far..
Congrats on buying one of the best looking hatchbacks in India(also the safest one).
Which colour did you buy? Could you also share some pics of the beautiful hatch.

Recently, I have started to see a lot of altroz cars in my area in bangalore and they look stunning in all colours.

Is there any indication that you get while sitting in the car that the chassis is rigid enough to get a 5 star GNCAP rating?

Keep updating your service experience as it is the biggest complain about Tata cars. I do not care about sales experience because it is a one time thing when you buy a car, but service experience is something we have to bear for the life of the car.
Napalm is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th November 2020, 15:07   #86
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Ownership update :

Took delivery of my Altroz XZ D on October 16, 2020. I have covered 2700 km so far. Maintained <2000 rpm until 1000 km and <2500 rpm until 1500 km. I haven't read the manual yet. Couldn't find time. Will do it soon.
Congratulations Bonoit, I seem to have missed this post. Wish you many happy & safe miles with the Altroz. An ownership thread for us to enjoy soon I hope.
Quote:
What i love in the car is the stability. I have to admit, I feel it has surpassed Linea.
Thats a big statement & a really high value acknowledgement to how sorted this car really is on the roads. Very confidence inspiring from the drives I have experienced so far.
Quote:
What I don't like is that the mobile keeping area doesn't hold my mobile(iPhone 11) well when connected to the charger cable.
This one area of the car & dashboard is something Tata has never managed to design well. Since the Indica in fact. There is a lot of wasted space & unusable dimensions of storage areas in the waterfall & floor console of their areas. Its like there is no value / imagination put in designing these. Rather frustrating indeed.
Quote:
Are we supposed to cover certain distance before we take it to hill stations? My father owns an engine reconditioning workshop. He recommended at least 5000 km before going to hills. Please advise.
Well - hill driving basically means steep inclines. High revving in lower gears. Especially for petrols. For this particular diesel engine (which we share in our cars) - its not a big issue. Its pretty good at torque delivery at low revs & does fine in hills also. The logic about not going to hills is somewhat of an auxiliary to the run-in period. To avoid high revving on a new engine. Thats it.

Overall - one thing that I have learnt over the years - always listen to what your old man says. Somehow they always tend to know something better & its best to listen to them . No harm at the very least.
Reinhard is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 30th November 2020, 23:03   #87
BHPian

Quote:
Ownership update :

What i love in the car is the stability. I have to admit, I feel it has surpassed Linea.
This is a big statement for Altroz. Tata really has come a long way. For any diesel hatch buyer, this car must be in the shortlist. One week before, I had visited Tata showroom in order to have a TD of the diesel Altroz. But there was no diesel TD car available. Only petrol TD car was there. Also the SA was not sure when will diesel TD car come. This is frustrating. Tata is managing this beautiful product most unprofessionally.

Had you taken a TD of a diesel before booking the car? How is the NVH of the car, especially if your compare with i20 diesel?

Thanks
Chitta Pradhan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st December 2020, 22:01   #88
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Napalm View Post
Congrats on buying one of the best looking hatchbacks in India(also the safest one).
Thanks Napalm. I bought the Downtown red. I didn't have any color preference. My mom liked it, so we bought it. Now I like it better than the other colors.

Tata Altroz 1.5L Diesel : Official Review-5fa73fac81964fc7802174dce86608cf.jpeg

Tata Altroz 1.5L Diesel : Official Review-8ebb74b6372b483dbe82a7f9f201d551.jpeg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Napalm View Post
Is there any indication that you get while sitting in the car that the chassis is rigid enough to get a 5 star GNCAP rating?
Forgive me, I am an amateur. I wouldn't be able to recognize it. Sure, I will keep sharing my service and ownership experience.

Quote:
Congratulations Bonoit, I seem to have missed this post. Wish you many happy & safe miles with the Altroz. An ownership thread for us to enjoy soon I hope.
Thanks Reinhard. I will post one soon. I have upgraded my head lamps too(at an accessories shop). Thanks to you for the motivation. I will post some videos on the thread.

Quote:
For this particular diesel engine (which we share in our cars) - its not a big issue.
Yes, it's true. I picked a hill station that isn't steep(Yercaud). The car drove effortlessly, didn't even have to rev beyond 2000 rpm. How long could I hold the temptation to go on a trip with friends after buying this car! I waited until 4.5k km. Couldn't wait more. The car now has close to 5k on the odo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chitta Pradhan View Post

Had you taken a TD of a diesel before booking the car? How is the NVH of the car, especially if your compare with i20 diesel?
I got to test drive the diesel version. I found the turbo lag very minimal and it was very smooth. I haven't driven an i20. I am not sure if it helps, I owned a fiat linea MJD 2009 for 50k km. It's definitely better than that.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 3rd December 2020 at 12:31. Reason: Inserted images inline.
Benoit is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2020, 12:20   #89
BHPian

To the owners on this thread, a cousin is planning to buy the Diesel version and he lives near Shirdi. The roads there are pathetic. Has the low ground clearance ever bottomed out? He mostly will drive with 4 adults at max but the roads there are horrible and GC is his only worry. Thanks in advance.
Dieselritzer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th December 2020, 17:34   #90
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieselritzer View Post
Has the low ground clearance ever bottomed out?
I have driven my XZ D(which has 185/60R16 tyres) only on highways and on roads with mild bumps and potholes and the car has managed really well. I have driven over pretty big speed breakers too. It hasn't scraped anywhere so far. But if the roads are really pathetic and GC is a big concern, it's best to look elsewhere. 165 mm GC with stiff suspension is good, but cannot compete with >185mm GC cars.

Last edited by Benoit : 4th December 2020 at 17:35. Reason: Updated tyre size
Benoit is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks