Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th March 2021, 07:52   #106
BHPian

Re: Tata Altroz 1.5L Diesel : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
Interesting. I wonder if anyone thought carefully about this much. If it were me, I think I'd simply change to 195/55R16 when the time came for replacement. Wouldn't worry much.
Indeed. In fact I am trying to negotiate picking up XM diesel and get the 195/55 wheels from Petrol XZ.
Old 20th March 2021, 12:26   #107
BHPian

Quote:
Interesting. I wonder if anyone thought carefully about this much. If it were me, I think I'd simply change to 195/55R16 when the time came for replacement. Wouldn't worry much.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrasannaDhana View Post
Or 195/60 R16 for that increase in ground clearance, Altroz having just 165mm in stock setup.
Infact I am thinking in the opposite direction, since in our family we have a habit of overloading our cars when we travel and we have some bad roads where we go usually we will need the higher sidewall when things get rough.

I am thinking of going for a lower variant which some with the 165/80 R14
indivic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th March 2021, 12:38   #108
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by indivic View Post
That's blasphemy!

Altroz looks awful with 14 inch tyres. Don't spoil the gorgeous design of the car going for lower trims.

Here is a comparison of sizes. Now ask yourselves a question.

Do I want bigger sidewall or a taller ride height?

Tata Altroz 1.5L Diesel : Official Review-screenshot_20210320123210.png

Tata Altroz 1.5L Diesel : Official Review-screenshot_20210320123205.png

I drive a lot on rural roads with huge speed breakers. My ciaz came with 185/65 R15, which I replaced with 195/65 R15, thereby getting a much needed 2 cm increase in GC.

If you still want more sidewall, you can try 195/65 instead of 195/60 R16
PrasannaDhana is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th March 2021, 12:59   #109
BHPian

Quote:
For the lower variant which comes with 14 inch steel wheels, Neo has a nice option which is a direct fit and there is no need to change the stock tyres too.
damodar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th March 2021, 14:09   #110
BHPian

Quote:
That's blasphemy!

Altroz looks awful with 14 inch tyres. Don't spoil the gorgeous design of the car going for lower trims.
More blasphemy : I really don't care so much about a car looks , my current ride is a Nano

Let me go and check out the car in detail before taking a call.
indivic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th March 2021, 17:28   #111
BHPian

Ok I have booked Altroz XZ D today. Anyone knows estimated wait time. Dealer has mentioned about 6-8 weeks.
Old 20th March 2021, 23:51   #112
BHPian

Quote:
@Benoit what make are the tyres on your Altroz ?
185/60R16 Good year assurance triplemax (triplemax 2 I think). I am not really satisfied with the tyre's grip. I will switch to 195/60 R16 yokohama blu earth or earth1( I had used 195/60R15 earth1 in my previous linea and I was satisfied with the grip). This reason for up sizing is not the ground clearance. 165mm GC is really adequate. With the combination of stiff suspension and low profile tyres, I can feel the bumps. I want wider tyres for brakes and higher profile tyres for comfort.
Benoit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st March 2021, 20:16   #113
Distinguished - BHPian

Did a test drive of Altroz 1.5 diesel today.

1. The car was punchy
2. Did good speeds on the highway
3. Braking was excellent, so were the ride and handling
4. Very spacious for a hatchback
5. Build quality
6. Looks - best looking in that showroom and a few other showrooms nearby combined

Dislikes

1. NVH could have been better in higher rev ranges
2. Gear box - the 5 speed MT is not smooth at all

I test drove Nexon 1.5 diesel MT right after. I was bowled away by the gear shift quality in comparison and the punch that engine offered.
Also did a test drive of EcoSport diesel after that, while the EcoSport may be identically fast to a ton, the very linear power delivery of the Ford wasn't as exciting as the punchy delivery of the Nexon diesel, specially in the sports mode. The Nexon was way more comfortable and spacious than both the other cars and it makes sense to spend extra 2.5 lakhs over the Altroz just for that 6 speed MT and the state of tune.

But at 10.5 lakhs, the Altroz diesel is a compelling package. A 5 star rated, gorgeous looking, spacious, comfortable, nice handling, fuel efficient feature loaded car!

Tata Altroz 1.5L Diesel : Official Review-img_20210331_162535602.jpg

Tata Altroz 1.5L Diesel : Official Review-img_20210331_165238500.jpg

Tata Altroz 1.5L Diesel : Official Review-img_20210331_162828047.jpg

Tata Altroz 1.5L Diesel : Official Review-img_20210331_162918204.jpg

Tata Altroz 1.5L Diesel : Official Review-img_20210331_171904105_hdr.jpg

Last edited by PrasannaDhana : 31st March 2021 at 20:36.
PrasannaDhana is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 31st March 2021, 20:36   #114
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Also did a test drive of EcoSport diesel after that, while the EcoSport may be identically fast to a ton, the very linear power delivery of the Ford wasn't as exciting as the punchy delivery of the Nexon diesel, specially in the sports mode. The Nexon was way more comfortable and spacious than both the other cars and it makes sense to spend extra 2.5 lakhs over the Altroz just for that 6 speed MT and the state of tune.
Another key aspect in this comparison of the Nexon with the EcoSport is that the EcoSport's 1.5 TDCi actually has a lower power & torque output than the Nexon in sports mode. It gives ~99BHP/215NM - which is effectively somewhere between the Altroz & Nexon (~110/250).

Interesting that you found the Nexon's cabin more spacious compared to the Altroz. Being a Nexon owner - I have always found the Altroz's cabin to be a more welcoming and comfortable place . How things differ from an individual to individual so often.
Reinhard is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st March 2021, 20:40   #115
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Interesting that you found the Nexon's cabin more spacious compared to the Altroz. Being a Nexon owner - I have always found the Altroz's cabin to be a more welcoming and comfortable place . How things differ from an individual to individual so often.
I must rephrase that. The Nexon seats were better than the Altroz. As you said the altroz may have equal or even more space. Look at that legroom in the pic I have posted before. Nexon's seat was more comfortable to sit than the Altroz(rear seats specially).

Also to point out that the altroz's rear armrest was better to use than the nexon's (nexon's had cup holders that were intrusive to my elbows).

Last edited by PrasannaDhana : 31st March 2021 at 20:47.
PrasannaDhana is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th April 2021, 12:09   #116
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azharumon View Post
How does the Tata Altroz stock up against the Ford Freestyle? Which is the better buy considering both are similarly priced for the top spec diesel variants?
I have driven both, so I'll try to answer.
Depends on your priorities. If you are on of those people for whom pure driving pleasure is the only thing that matters, then I would recommend the Freestyle anyday. The 1.5 TDCi is still the B-E-S-T diesel engine below 10 lacs, nothing quite comes close. However, if you have other priorities, then I must say you won't be impressed much by the freestyle. For one, the omission of the SYNC 3 infotainment from bs4 has been a huge mistake. SYNC 3 alone would have been one of the biggest plus points of the car if it had it today, but right now, the Freestyle ( as far as I know ) only has a cheap system without sync 3 and Android auto or Carplay.

Then there is the interiors and space, the interior quality is definitely better on the Altroz and so is the interior space and comfort. The front seats of both cars are pretty decent but I found the rear seats of the Altroz to be a bit better.
Looks wise, both looks terrific and it's all down to personal taste really.
Structural quality is better on the Altroz, the doors don't seem as sturdy on the freestyle as it is on the Altroz and same goes for highway stability, the Altroz is more stable.
Fit and finish and overall build ( plastic panel fitment, any rough edges etc ) is better on the freestyle. Altroz still has the tata QC issue, in the one I drove, but it might vary from car to car I guess.

Maintenance, as far as I know, is a bit less for the freestyle but after sales quality is a hit or miss for either. If you get a good dealer then you've hit the jackpot.

Overall If I had to choose an overall balanced family car, it would be the Altroz. The 1.5 diesel is punchy enough for highway runs even though not as good as the TDCi, the interiors, build, feature list etc are better on the Altroz.
SaiSW is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 1st May 2021, 11:24   #117
BHPian

Another horror story from TATA (this time for an Altroz diesel). In this case it seems that the ubiquitous lax QC approach combined with this particular TATA service center incompetence is going to gift nightmares to its owner.

JithinR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st May 2021, 14:32   #118
BHPian

This page has gone into just 8 pages. There are hardly any diesel hatchbacks available now in market, and IMO, Altroz diesel is quite a competent car today for city, highway, family use etc. Moreover, it's the only hatch with 5 star safety rating. Really fail to understand why there is lack of interest for this brilliant car. I have tried to take a TD of the diesel, but could not get any till now. Could test drove NA petrol, which was simply awful. Would really love to see the success of this product in diesel & turbo petrol options. If any one has driven both diesel & turbo petrol, please comment which is better.

I think if Altroz diesel comes with Nexon's tune & gear box, it will find garage of many Bhpians. Would love to see that comes sooner than later.

For my diesel TD, I got just one call from the showroom, and no response thereafter. The pathetic sales set up of Tata is the single most factor of Altroz's not so good sales numbers. For someone like me addicted to diesel torque of 260 nm (Verna), no petrol with similar price tag is feeling even close. For me replacement has to be a diesel only. That's why keen on Altroz diesel. So far, I only think of XUV300 diesel as an possible alternative.

Thanks
Chitta Pradhan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th May 2021, 05:44   #119
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPR View Post
So still Figo is winner in diesel hatch and is total value for money too. Tata missed a wonderful opportunity when there's no diesel mill from MS or European counterparts. Even Jazz has no diesel. It may satisfy regular buyers. Those who want to replace their 1.3 MJD may have to pick a Figo or wait and watch.
I have been doing repeated test drives of both the cars. Honestly, the Figo feels a bit overrated to me. The altroz diesel is not much slower than the Figo, handles as good as the Figo too. Unless one is into signal stop drag racing crap, or is obsessively focussed on driveability (I say obsessively because tata's 1.5 has good driveability too) the Figo is a better car.

But the drab interiors, outdated looks and safety aspect of the Figo makes it the flop that it is. For a 1.3 MJD owner who has been living with that prominent low end lag, the tata's 1.5 diesel will be a wonderful breath of fresh air. Personally I dont find the driveability difference between Figo and altroz diesels that tangible, being a long-time past user of 1.3 MJD in both DDIS 190 & DDIS 200 setups. Both cars feel way better than that lag plagued 1.3 MJD.

Stunning looks, better space & features, 5 star Safety, better resale - it is the altroz for me that is the real winner here. With just 50k difference (Figo Blu vs Altroz XZ) in on road price, the Figo loses its value for money tag too.

Last edited by PrasannaDhana : 4th May 2021 at 05:59.
PrasannaDhana is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th May 2021, 06:31   #120
KPR
BANNED

Quote:
Stunning looks, better space & features, 5 star Safety, better resale - it is the altroz for me that is the real winner here. With just 50k difference (Figo Blu vs Altroz XZ) in on road price, the Figo loses its value for money tag too.
I agree. At 9L+ on road for Ford figo top end is no longer VFM diesel. There was a price increase to Figo by Ford which added insult to already drowning product. The plastics and design used in interior of Ford can't match the premium feel of Altroz. But the low service costs, mileage can be positives for the car.
KPR is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks