Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd October 2021, 19:26   #151
BHPian

Re: Tata Altroz 1.5L Diesel : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashis89 View Post
The car seems to have gone into limp mode. Get it checked ASAP. I suspect fuel quality which can clog DPF and trigger the check engine light.

We talk about trusted fuel bunks but even they could get some impurities once in a blue moon.
UPDATE:

So it did turn out that the DPF was clogged with soot. My friend took his car to Kaveri Tata in Trichy, they mentioned that they have received the same complaint ever since BS6 came into play. As they were at full capacity today they did drive his car at high rpm for 20kms. The car feels normal again now as per my friend, however he has been requested to bring his car back on Monday to clean the DPF.

They scanned the ECU for error codes and cleared the one for DPF. Weirdly though my friend has been advised to not drive his car above 80kmph in 5th gear till he gets the DPF cleaned at Tata on Monday.

I will give an update on what they do on Monday as soon as I receive the same from my friend.
Shanksta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2021, 19:34   #152
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanksta View Post
UPDATE:

So it did turn out that the DPF was clogged with soot.
Ask him if he always drives under 2k. A group member used to get DPF issues frequently since 3k on odo. Advised him to drive with a slightly hard foot and no issues since last 5k kms. Mileage dropped hardly 0.5km/l.
Old 23rd October 2021, 19:37   #153
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
UPDATE:

So it did turn out that the DPF was clogged with soot. My friend took his car to Kaveri Tata in Trichy, they mentioned that they have received the same complaint ever since BS6 came into play. As they were at full capacity today they did drive his car at high rpm for 20kms. The car feels normal again now as per my friend, however he has been requested to bring his car back on Monday to clean the DPF.

They scanned the ECU for error codes and cleared the one for DPF. Weirdly though my friend has been advised to not drive his car above 80kmph in 5th gear till he gets the DPF cleaned at Tata on Monday.

I will give an update on what they do on Monday as soon as I receive the same from my friend.
I think the dealer wants to make some quick bucks here. DPF clogging will rectify by driving enthusiastically. Ask your friend to gun the car on that Trichy - Dindigul highway for 20 minutes. I see no point in going back to the dealer.
PrasannaDhana is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2021, 22:22   #154
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

The KIA user manual says that if DPF is clogged and auto-regen is failing then take the car to service center ASAP to avoid permanent damage to DPF. Service center can clean it.

I would suggest stick to the service center and avoid using the car in the interim, just for the sake of warranty. Also ask your friend to have everything on job cards/service logs to avoid any warranty claim issues in future. Any wrong advice by the service center and they would be liable.
ashis89 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th October 2021, 00:37   #155
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrasannaDhana View Post
After a long 19 days waiting since my booking, I got to see my sweetheart today in the yard.

The leatherette seats feel premium and the fit is impressive.

Honestly, if you are planning for XZ variant, just spend 45k more and go for thr XZ+. The TFT instrument cluster and the leatherette seats alone are worth it IMO, while IRA and express cool are added bonus.
The first diesel altroz ownership review on TeamBHP, that is, after 15 days or 2000 km of using the car.
Many congrats and welcome to the club! Great choice.

Very less waiting period.

Looking forward to the first Altroz Diesel ownership review with consistent pitstops.

2000km in 15 days, more than 130km daily run!

My XZ came with TFT instrument cluster only, is it recently changed? Didn’t feel like going for XZ+, except maybe iRA.

Any possibility of getting the DARK themed seat covers as an accessory from Tata Motors?

And may you never see the DPF light ON. With this run, it’s low chance anyway.

Enjoy the red smoking hot beauty!!
rd18 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th October 2021, 05:46   #156
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay380 View Post
Ask him if he always drives under 2k. A group member used to get DPF issues frequently since 3k on odo. Advised him to drive with a slightly hard foot and no issues since last 5k kms. Mileage dropped hardly 0.5km/l.
Yes, I asked him and he seems to drive the car always at 80-100kmph. He also has an on call driver, he uses sometimes, that always extracts maximum FE. Have advised him to gun the car every 300-500 kms for 10-20kms going forward.

Quote:
I think the dealer wants to make some quick bucks here. DPF clogging will rectify by driving enthusiastically. Ask your friend to gun the car on that Trichy - Dindigul highway for 20 minutes. I see no point in going back to the dealer.
Hi, the dealer told my friend it was recommended by Tata and I have also told him to not pay a single rupee for the job. However keeping in mind the car is under warranty and just 8 months old, he will be taking it to TASS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashis89 View Post
The KIA user manual says that if DPF is clogged and auto-regen is failing then take the car to service center ASAP to avoid permanent damage to DPF. Service center can clean it.

I would suggest stick to the service center and avoid using the car in the interim, just for the sake of warranty. Also ask your friend to have everything on job cards/service logs to avoid any warranty claim issues in future. Any wrong advice by the service center and they would be liable.
Hi Ashish,

Already conveyed the same, not willing to risk it since the car is under warranty including the extended warranty.

The DPF issue has been logged in his service history yesterday. He will be visiting the Service center in the coming week to have the DPF checked.
Old 24th October 2021, 09:16   #157
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rd18 View Post
Many congrats and welcome to the club! Great choice.

Looking forward to the first Altroz Diesel ownership review with consistent pitstops.

2000km in 15 days, more than 130km daily run!

My XZ came with TFT instrument cluster only, is it recently changed? Didn’t feel like going for XZ+, except maybe iRA.

Any possibility of getting the DARK themed seat covers as an accessory from Tata Motors?

And may you never see the DPF light ON. With this run, it’s low chance anyway.

Enjoy the red smoking hot beauty!!

Thank you!

I drive a lot, and luckily, live besides the highway.

I don't have a concern about the DPF issue since 50% of my usage will be on national highways, 30% on rural State highways and 20% in city. Moreover I do pedal to metal atleast 4 times a week . Not until the run in though.

Even during run in, I will not be babying the engine. I will expose the engine to varied rpm ranges from 1500 to 3250 rpm and refrain from doing constant rpm for longer duration of time. I also don't want to engage eco mode till run-in is over. My typical run in is 2000 km, and until 5000 km I won't be taking it to hills.

Bs6 diesels do demand extra care. Our Harrier diesel has Adblue and it is always a thing to be noted and refilled periodically.

Currently, XZ loses out on TFT screen, leather wrapped steering and gear knob & rear fog lamp. Bad move by Tata.

Quote:
Yes, I asked him and he seems to drive the car always at 80-100kmph. He also has an on call driver, he uses sometimes, that always extracts maximum FE. Have advised him to gun the car every 300-500 kms for 10-20kms going forward.

Hi, the dealer told my friend it was recommended by Tata and I have also told him to not pay a single rupee for the job. However keeping in mind the car is under warranty and just 8 months old, he will be taking it to TASS.
80 - 100 kmph is a very relaxed 1900 - 2200 rpm on the diesel.

Good that you made it a point to log the DPF issue into the service history

Tata warranty is a joke. Must be the lowest numbers in the industry.

Standard is 2 years and 75k km
Extended is 3 years and 75k km, costs an extra 6.5k
All out warranty is 5 years and 1 lakh km. But.that costs an extra 22k. I have got the 3 years and 75k km warranty. I am planning to purchase Extended warranty towards the end of next year, that is, if it can be purchased.

Kaveri Tata is good. Mine was the first and only Storme they sold so far. Pretty new dealer, set up in 2018. They have as much volume as Hyundai workshop. I have seen 60-70 cars parked and awaiting service. Even during my last service of Storme, I had to fix appointment before I visited them.

Hope your friend doesn't get this issue repeated.

Last edited by PrasannaDhana : 24th October 2021 at 09:19.
PrasannaDhana is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 24th October 2021, 10:31   #158
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
After a long 19 days waiting since my booking, I got to see my sweetheart today in the yard. ....
The first diesel altroz ownership review on TeamBHP, that is, after 15 days or 2000 km of using the car.
Congratulations!!!

The best replacement for your low slung, slice through the air, diesel Ciaz. Yes, there is the i20 and the City, but their pricing is on the higher side.

The only current Tata model that I would want to buy, Altroz D. Hoping to see a new thread on your ownership report soon
DicKy is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 24th October 2021, 13:40   #159
BHPian

EW for my 1.5 XZ cost 18500. Total five years of warranty and unlimited kms as per website but TMSC app shows 2.5L km
akshay380 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th October 2021, 16:30   #160
BHPian

Quote:
I'm getting 12-13 in short city drives an 16-17 in longish drives once engine warms up. Two lane highways with mostly 4th gear driving I get 19-20. Four lane roads it is 23-24
Firmly echo your thoughts on FE. If anybody is buying this car thinking they will get 25.11 kmpl from the get go they better hold it and look else where.

Just hit 5000 kms on the odo in over 3 months. It's 14 to 15 kmpl in KL traffic almost all the time. Haven't got much chances to stretch her legs except for a Coimbatore round trip where I did see 23 kmpl. On typical 4 lane NH roads of KL I manage 17 to 18 kmpl. Average speeds in KL is very low due to obvious reasons. The TFT display shows around 30 kmph average at this point.

Overall tankful to tankful FE stands at over 16.5 kmpl. This is what one should expect if you live and mostly drive in a state like KL. The ones who frequently use highways are really lucky because that is exactly what this car loves. Simply phenomenal in that aspect and returns superb FE figures too.

Tata Altroz 1.5L Diesel : Official Review-screenshot_20211026162548.jpg

Last edited by aswin ajith : 26th October 2021 at 16:32.
Old 26th October 2021, 18:38   #161
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aswin ajith View Post
Firmly echo your thoughts on FE. If anybody is buying this car thinking they will get 25.11 kmpl from the get go they better hold it and look else where.

Just hit 5000 kms on the odo in over 3 months. It's 14 to 15 kmpl in KL traffic almost all the time. Haven't got much chances to stretch her legs except for a Coimbatore round trip where I did see 23 kmpl. On typical 4 lane NH roads of KL I manage 17 to 18 kmpl. Average speeds in KL is very low due to obvious reasons. The TFT display shows around 30 kmph average at this point.

Overall tankful to tankful FE stands at over 16.5 kmpl. This is what one should expect if you live and mostly drive in a state like KL. The ones who frequently use highways are really lucky because that is exactly what this car loves. Simply phenomenal in that aspect and returns superb FE figures too.

Thanks for confirming. I thought my car was having some issues.
We in Goa have similar conditions to KL, probably even narrower and now worsened roads. These talks of 25+kmpl by others were sending me I to depression.
akshay380 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th October 2021, 18:46   #162
BHPian

Quote:
We in Goa have similar conditions to KL, probably even narrower and now worsened roads. These talks of 25+kmpl by others were sending me I to depression.
Haha just ignore please.

I am driving my heart out whenever I get a chance and trust me, unlike certain small capacity turbo petrol engines, out on open roads, the Revotorq is totally cool with a heavy foot in terms of FE. This keeps DPF issues at bay too hopefully.

Just have fun.

Cheers !!!

Last edited by aswin ajith : 26th October 2021 at 18:47.
Old 26th October 2021, 19:09   #163
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aswin ajith View Post

Overall tankful to tankful FE stands at over 16.5 kmpl. This is what one should expect if
Quote:
Fuel efficiency is very specific and vastly vary with individuals and their locations.

For an example, there are Safari Storme owners who haven't seen anything over 12 kmpl in their ownership, while I have seen 18 kmpl tankfull to tankfull actual fuel efficiency. ARAI claim of Storme Varicor 400 is just 13.5 kmpl. While my overall average fuel efficiency, over 22000 km of observing through fuelio app stands close to that claim.

Tata Altroz 1.5L Diesel : Official Review-screenshot_20211026190035_fuelio.jpg

Same case with my Kwid 1.0, the ARAI claim is 22 kmpl while I have obtained 26.25 kmpl actual fuel efficiency in one tankfull. The overall fuel efficiency stands at 19 kmpl

Tata Altroz 1.5L Diesel : Official Review-screenshot_20211026190049_fuelio.jpg

To be noted is that in my case, my usage is 60 : 20 : 20 - National highways : State highways : City. And being a resident of a tier 2 city, b2b traffic is rare. More over I am extremely mindful when I want more fuel efficiency.

I am getting my hands on the altroz diesel tomorrow. I will update my actual tankfull to tankfull fuel efficiency regularly here. Initially I don't plan on extracting max fuel efficiency, atleast until 5000 km. So there won't be any babying the engine. Pretty excited and curious as to what the 1.5 Revotorq returns to me. Same engine in my friend's nexon has been returning an overall 20 kmpl for the last 5000 km.
PrasannaDhana is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 27th October 2021, 07:02   #164
BHPian

Quote:
The DPF issue has been logged in his service history yesterday. He will be visiting the Service center in the coming week to have the DPF checked.
Quote:
Hope your friend doesn't get this issue repeated.
Hi All,

An update on this issue, this might be useful for fellow BS6 diesel/Altroz Diesel owners.

So yesterday my friend took his car to Kaveri Tata in Trichy as requested by TASS. Around evening he called me and requested me to talk to the Service advisor as what he was saying did not make sense to him. Post my conversation with him and some additional Googled knowledge below is what I could make of this entire ordeal.
  • A DPF equipped vehicle has a sensor that monitors the "soot load" in the DPF.
  • Typically this Soot load is calculated mostly from 0%-250%.
  • For Tata the normal soot load value is 60% or lesser. Anything above this the car requests you to drive spiritedly to clear the DPF as we all know.
  • When this initial warning is ignored the soot load increases, now there is also a preset limit by the manufacturer to ensure the car does not cause harm to itself when the soot load increases. This is because the soot load increase causes stress on the exhaust system thereby increasing the heat considerably.
  • When this happens the car is programmed to jump into "Limp mode", which is what my friend experienced.

My friend's Altroz DPF was measured and the soot load was at 138% as told to me by the SA. When this preset limit is breached the sensors/ECU are programmed to throw the "Check Engine light" and the "Service Station Symbol".

Now this requires a "Recovery Regeneration" cycle to be performed by Tata Service Center. They follow a standard procedure where the engine has to cool down, then they reset the error codes and drive the car at requested rpms to clear the soot and also this recovery Regeneration requires them to check the temperature of the engine oil, it's condition and the oil filter.

Once this is done they have to TD the car again and reset codes if any. Finally measure the soot load once again. One good thing though is the service advisor has clearly told him that he will not be charged a single rupee, however need to confirm this when he picks up the car today.

So basically my friend did not notice the first warning on the cluster to clear the DPF and this has caused this entire saga.

One of the websites that really helped me understand this process is here.

Owning a BS6 diesel is no joke !

Last edited by Shanksta : 27th October 2021 at 07:05.
Shanksta is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 27th October 2021, 08:14   #165
BHPian

Quote:
Owning a BS6 diesel is no joke !
Didn't you say 80% of his 9k kms were on the highways? Why did the soot levels rise so much, (sufficient to clog the DPF) in the first place? What else is an owner supposed to do, to prevent clogging?
Anyway, agree with the sentiment that one would have to go through a lot of trying times, owning this fabulous engine. That further hardens my resolve of stepping away from diesels (would opt for iturbo, maybe). One can't keep on having this hanging sword over one's head. And then there would be additional sensor malfunction and other additional electronic niggles: remember we're just in the first year of ownership.
BTW- how long is this 'not a single penny charged' going to continue? If there are too many such incidents, the service centres would have to employ additional staff for this entire process.

Last edited by Nikhil Beke : 27th October 2021 at 08:17.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks