Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th October 2021, 10:34   #181
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Tata Altroz 1.5L Diesel : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrasannaDhana View Post
Thanks. ...
Congrats brother ! Red is easily the most beautiful colour on Altroz !!

Your running is going to give a lovely long term ownership on Altroz - Wish you miles of safe & happpy smiles with the car.
swiftnfurious is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th October 2021, 16:30   #182
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenMaster View Post
Noob question: isn't the very purpose of DPF to prevent soot from being released into the atmosphere?

Then what's the point of "Clearing the DPF" by expelling the soot out by making the engine run at higher RPM? Doesn't the soot end up in the atmosphere itself?
The soot is collected and later burnt, going out as carbon dioxide. There are some referrals in this forum of exact working. One of them is https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techn...ml#post2414828 (Diesel Particulate Filter)

Quote:
Thank you!

I definitely had dark and red in the top of my choices.

But Tata has weird decision making at its top level management.

Top end diesel does not get

1. Dark edition color

2. 8 speaker set up

Both these are available in iturbo and petrol N/A. What can be the reasoning behind this? Must be to not make top end diesel very pricey..
Yes, dark edition is solely missed in Diesel engine. They offer dark only on XZ+ edition of petrol and iTurbo, so maybe don’t want to have a heavy price on diesel.
Plus, Altroz diesel sales are low compared to petrol. One of the outliers in cars which are offered with both petrol and diesel engines. Referring the diesel engine sales coming down from 58% to 17% thread.

I really wanted to have the DARK edition seat covers but not offererd as an accessory. Any pointers for good seat cover designs for Altroz?

With my “Midtown Grey”, which feels like black at night, I don’t miss DARK edition much.

Red is definitely the best looking color in Altroz, maybe too hot to handle for shy people like me.
You can go for ceramic coating I guess to keep the looks top notch for longer.

Memories from delivery date.
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Altroz 1.5L Diesel : Official Review-ded5030f4f324db19eab8d4e642c2d0b.jpeg  

Tata Altroz 1.5L Diesel : Official Review-76bd1cf0601b45e9b0ae84b0b07213b3.jpeg  

rd18 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 30th October 2021, 16:32   #183

Hi guys I was planning to buy Skoda rapid however not getting the ambition trim and the style one is out of my budget. Then came across Altroz. I like it's style and thinking of going for it. Please suggest. Might take the test drive tomorrow. Thinking about the xz trim of diesel....

Last edited by SDP : 4th November 2021 at 12:36. Reason: Pl -> please
Autobots is offline   Received Infraction
Old 30th October 2021, 17:52   #184
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rd18 View Post

I really wanted to have the DARK edition seat covers but not offererd as an accessory. Any pointers for good seat cover designs for Altroz?

With my “Midtown Grey”, which feels like black at night, I don’t miss DARK edition much.

Red is definitely the best looking color in Altroz, maybe too hot to handle for shy people like me.
You can go for ceramic coating I guess to keep the looks top notch for longer.

Memories from delivery date.
Nice pics!!

Midtown Grey is the classiest of all shades in altroz. I liked it too, but I wanted something bright and strong (I lust over flash red Polo and Montecarlo red Rapid ) & already have a Grey celerio.

My dealer says it is 1 : 20 - Diesel : Petrol sale of Altroz. Sure, diesel buyers are a few and far!

The DARK edition seat covers are the same as XZ+ leatherette covers, except that in XZ+ I got white contrast stitching, while dark edition gets blue stitching.

XZ+ leatherette seats
Tata Altroz 1.5L Diesel : Official Review-20211030_075636.jpg

DARK edition will have blue stitching instead of this white stitching of XZ+
Tata Altroz 1.5L Diesel : Official Review-20211027_145051.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autobots View Post
H Thinking about the xz trim of diesel....
I will strongly recommend XZ+.

If you are okay with this console, then XZ is ok.
Tata Altroz 1.5L Diesel : Official Review-images.jpeg13.jpg

Last edited by PrasannaDhana : 30th October 2021 at 17:58.
PrasannaDhana is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 1st November 2021, 19:19   #185
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Anything over +/- 2 kmpl is unacceptable, and this is just the first reading in my case. My ownership review will have a separate column discussing all the takfull data and their deviation from MID figures for all fill-ups done until that time.
Tata are masters at it. I have read about exaggerated FE figures on DIS on Nexon as compared to tankful method.

I too have faced the same issue of 2 kmpl difference on my Zest diesel. It almost always shows 2 kmpl less when compared to tankfull method. My guess is, when one runs on roads with heavy traffic, this difference is more acute.

However, my MID setting is just DTE and not the instantaneous FE ( however, there is a graphic, unremovable one at the bottom ) and not the average FE. I guess DTE gives us a fair idea of the FE, not that it matters while driving.

I went to see a Punch but that was unavailable. Instead I looked at Altroz top end there. Looked good, found the height to be a bit low ( coming from Zest, most of the sedans and hatch backs would be found so). The sales person claimed diesel mileage is 25 kmpl. Is that really so?

Not really in the market for a new car but I suddenly developed a small itch to look at Altroz. Not yet willing to let go of the Zest. If itch gets stronger, then ..

Last edited by Aditya : 5th November 2021 at 18:53. Reason: Quoted text trimmed
Old 1st November 2021, 19:39   #186
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplyself View Post
. The sales person claimed diesel mileage is 25 kmpl. Is that really so?
The roads here in Goa it's tough to get anywhere above 22kmpl but for some highway runs with light foot I have got upto 29kmpl for distance of 35km. Got bored and floored after that.
akshay380 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st November 2021, 19:44   #187
BHPian

Quote:
Tata are masters at it. I have read about exaggerated FE figures on DIS on Nexon as compared to tankful method.

I too have faced the same issue of 2 kmplE, not that it matters while driving.

The sales person claimed diesel mileage is 25 kmpl. Is that really so?

Not really in the market for a new car but I suddenly developed a small itch to look at Altroz. Not yet willing to let go of the Zest. If itch gets stronger, then ..
Need to double check using tankful method. My FE has dropped to 15-16 in city.

But yes 25kmpl is achievable under ideal conditions.

Mumbai-Pune expressway run on 80kmph cruise control. Zoom in to see trip stats. Length is around 94kms.

Next pic was complete round trip which was a mix of Mumbai airport B2B traffic and clean & smooth expressway run.

I really need a highway trip to see those figures again and get my mind off DPF thing.
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Altroz 1.5L Diesel : Official Review-f47b232bab794dbfbb483856c03cf0c2.jpeg  

Tata Altroz 1.5L Diesel : Official Review-e36602d28bff4c5db196c86a2077df82.jpeg  

rd18 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st November 2021, 19:44   #188
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay380 View Post
The roads here in Goa it's tough to get anywhere above 22kmpl but for some highway runs with light foot I have got upto 29kmpl for distance of 35km. Got bored and floored after that.
That's a very good mileage, even if for short distance.

I am not exactly mileage conscious myself but it doesn't hurt if one gets good FE
Old 1st November 2021, 19:45   #189
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The sales person claimed diesel mileage is 25 kmpl. Is that really so?
ARAI certified fuel efficiency figure for diesel altroz is 25.11 kmpl.

I am positive it can return close to that on highways. For instance, this is my today's drive statistic of the Altroz diesel.

Tata Altroz 1.5L Diesel : Official Review-20211101_155836.jpg

Of that ~100 km, 20 km was inside city, 50 km was in rural areas with frequent gear changes and braking, 30 km was on national highways.

On the highways, I did enjoy cruising the car at 3000 rpm on 5th gear, speeds that would get me infracted if mentioned. So 20.3 kmpl is pretty awesome if you ask me, specially for a brand new engine with just about 600 km on odo. Actual tankful would be even more knowing MID discrepancies.

Take a test drive if the altroz diesel, you will definitely want to replace your zest . It's a thoroughly modern car, which can be quite economical too.

Last edited by PrasannaDhana : 1st November 2021 at 19:48.
PrasannaDhana is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 1st November 2021, 19:53   #190
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
ARAI certified fuel efficiency figure for diesel altroz is 25.11 kmpl.

I am positive it can return close to that on highways. For instance, this is my today's drive statistic of the Altroz diesel.

Of that ~100 km, 20 km was inside city, 50 km was in rural areas with frequent gear changes and braking, 30 km was on national highways.

On the highways, I did enjoy cruising the car to 3000 rpm on 5th gear, speeds that would get me infracted if mentioned. So 20.3 kmpl is pretty awesome if you ask me, specially for a brand new engine with just about 600 km on odo.

Take a test drive if the altroz diesel, you will definitely want to replace your zest . It's a thoroughly modern car, which can be quite economical too.
The thought of trying out a new car entered just a couple of days ago. Altroz rear seat seems to have good space. I am more concerned about the height - not that I am worried about scraping the bottom - but my ingress and egress. Other point is my son's 6'2" height. Rear seat head room for him must be checked.

Yes, taking a test drive would give me a good idea about the car.

If the FEs are anything to go by, I may get very good FE considering that I seldom cross 100 kmph irrespective of the road and traffic conditions.
Old 1st November 2021, 20:56   #191
BHPian

Quote:
On the highways, I did enjoy cruising the car at 3000 rpm on 5th gear, speeds that would get me infracted if mentioned. So 20.3 kmpl is pretty awesome if you ask me, specially for a brand new engine with just about 600 km on odo. Actual tankful would be even more knowing MID discrepancies.

Congratulations on the Altroz. Another interesting ownership thread is on the way.

I test drove the Altroz Diesel MT couple of weeks ago. The intention was to check it out to compare with Ford's TDCI engine.

I felt Altroz Diesel engine to be harsh and underpowered. This may be because it was a Test Drive car and generally they dont get it serviced or maintain it.

How do you compare the Altroz Diesel engine with Ford's TDCI? Purely from an engine perspective.
VWAllstar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st November 2021, 23:30   #192
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VWAllstar View Post
Congratulations on the Altroz. Another interesting ownership thread is on the way.

I test drove the Altroz Diesel MT couple of weeks ago. The intention was to check it out to compare with Ford's TDCI engine.

I felt Altroz Diesel engine to be harsh and underpowered. This may be because it was a Test Drive car and generally they dont get it serviced or maintain it.

How do you compare the Altroz Diesel engine with Ford's TDCI? Purely from an engine perspective.
Forgot to mention in the thread but I had an oil leak from inner shaft seal and the seal + clutch assembly was replaced and dealer gave me a figo aspire with 2L on odo and the engine definitely felt lot smoother than Altroz and very linear. Altroz is surely a lot FTD than aspire though.
akshay380 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st November 2021, 23:50   #193
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VWAllstar View Post

Thank you!

The Figo 1.5 and Altroz 1.5 diesel mills are very similar when it comes to NVH. Both are very refined at lower RPMs and get vocal past 3500 RPM. Below 2200 RPM, I found Altroz to be more refined.

One wouldn't feel any difference driving both the cars sedately. The Figo shines when you drive pedal to metal, with lesser lag, more punch and the gear box felt better than the one in Altroz. Altroz does have more (just a wee little more) low end lag than the Figo. Ford also revs better than the tata. Figo also has a heavier clutch with a longer travel than the altroz. Altroz is the easier car to drive in urban traffic.

What Altroz misses out in performance, it more than makes it up with its space, looks, features, cabin quality and safety. I definitely would have considered Figo if it was on sale today, but always felt it to be a way too dull product (not with regards to engine or driving pleasure) to own. It felt spartan, interiors were dull, did not even get an armrest and looked a decade old externally. For a primary ride, it wasn't as much a total package to my needs as the altroz is. In my opinion, the 1.5 lakhs premium that Tata demanded over Figo top end diesel is well justified.

Honestly, one could choose the altroz just for the looks & build quality alone.

Talking only about the diesel motors, if one could award Figo 1.5 diesel 85%, the altroz 1.5 would get 80% when it comes to driveability and performance. NVH though, I felt both to be very similar, with altroz fairing better at lower RPMs and Figo better at higher RPMs. That being said, I did find altroz engine note to be a bit sporty at 3000+ RPM.

Last edited by PrasannaDhana : 2nd November 2021 at 00:05.
PrasannaDhana is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2021, 00:42   #194
BHPian

That's a lovely red car!!! Red and diesel suits the Altroz the best in my opinion. Diesel is no doubt the best one to go for out of all the other variants on offer. It is torquey, efficient with rock solid road manners. Great choice I must say.
Phantom 510 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2021, 10:47   #195
BHPian

Quote:
The Figo 1.5 and Altroz 1.5 diesel mills are very similar when it comes to NVH. Both are very refined at lower RPMs and get vocal past 3500 RPM. Below 2200 RPM, I found Altroz to be more refined.
Rightly pointed out. Low end torque of 1.5 TDCI was it's weakness which was fixed for me by Wolf Moto. With regards to NVH, the insulation on Figo is quite poor however the engine itself is not very noisy so no complaints.

Quote:
Figo also has a heavier clutch with a longer travel than the altroz. Altroz is the easier car to drive in urban traffic.
The clutch is the Achilles Heel for Figo's driving pleasure. It is heavy, spongy and has a relatively longer travel. With remap, I am having trouble driving it in B2B traffic. Within 20K KMs I had to replace the clutch assembly. Have asked Wolf Moto Team to fix it and map their tried and tested stage 1 over the custom map I currently drive on.

Quote:
Honestly, one could choose the altroz just for the looks & build quality alone.
True that. 1.5L Premium over Figo is very well justified with the built quality, features and newer design. I will need to drive one relatively new Altroz Diesel to really understand how good it is.
VWAllstar is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks