Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd April 2022, 12:20   #1501
BHPian

Re: Kia Sonet : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashvek3141 View Post
Comments like these, make the life of people like me all the more difficult! The waiting period gets all the more restless and frustrating.

Even worse, I have not even driven the TD vehicle of the Sonet (I have driven the Seltos D AT) so can’t really wait to get my hands on the car!

P. S.: It’s 2 months of wait already & no sign of any delivery date yet.
What is the official waiting time given to you by the dealership? I got it after 2 months and it was out of the blue only. I was given official wait time of 4 months.

If you have driven the Seltos, consider driving something having the same engine but a smaller footprint and lighter weight. Seltos TD was underwhelming when driven back to back with Sonet. You cannot hide the extra kilos.

Quote:
Originally Posted by avira_tk View Post
If it helps, I waited 9 months for my car. You should definitely test drive an automatic version. I still have trouble finding a decent driving position.

I still haven't prepared an ownership post for this thread, waiting for my service complaint to be attended to as I just completed 10k service.
Can you elaborate on the service complaint? I find the ventilated seats to be less than adequate. I actually expected a frozen back but nothing of that sort observed till now. Waiting for peak summer to hit around June and I hope it isnt a let down.

Quote:
Well, I have test driven the other variants of the Sonet including the 7DCT; it’s just that the dealer here in Goa doesn’t have the Sonet D AT for a TD (how stupid!). Hence, I kinda know what to expect from the Sonet. I have driven the Seltos D AT and found the engine+gearbox to be great; so just wondering what this combo would feel like in a more tighter package of the Sonet.
It feels more lively and spirited, if that's what you're looking for.

P.S - 3 Tata dealerships in Chandigarh tricity did not have ONE Nexon D-AMT for a test drive. I didnt even get a chance to convince my family for it
jasjotbains is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2022, 17:10   #1502
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasjotbains View Post
What is the official waiting time given to you by the dealership? I got it after 2 months and it was out of the blue only. I was given official wait time of 4 months.

If you have driven the Seltos, consider driving something having the same engine but a smaller footprint and lighter weight. Seltos TD was underwhelming when driven back to back with Sonet. You cannot hide the extra kilos.

It feels more lively and spirited, if that's what you're looking for.

P.S - 3 Tata dealerships in Chandigarh tricity did not have ONE Nexon D-AMT for a test drive. I didnt even get a chance to convince my family for it
The official wait time given is 24-25 weeks! It seems there’s surge in demand for the automatics; especially the DCTs. The Diesel MT and even the Petrol iMT are available within 2-3 months.

Well, I found the Seltos D AT to be adequate though. Now I really can’t wait to drive the Sonet!

I had the Swift Diesel earlier (sold last month) and also own a Creta P MT. From your comments and going through your initial ownership review, I pressume the Sonet’s gonna be double the fun than the Swift. I loved driving that car.

Last edited by ashvek3141 : 23rd April 2022 at 17:13.
ashvek3141 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th April 2022, 12:44   #1503
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by reinhardt93 View Post
We realized that the gearbox would still be in second gear and would never go into first while coming to a stop. After he stepped on the accelerator, the car would accelerate slowly (or with a delay as you mentioned) and then the gearbox would shift down in a hurry with a slight clunking noise to the first gear to pick up speed.

We just decided to live with it and considered it to be a little quirk of an otherwise amazing vehicle.

I am guessing that this could be the issue you are facing and maybe you could try putting it in manual mode and seeing if it does something similar.
The same thought crossed my mind as well. I think that the car is staying in the second gear when I come to a stop. As soon as I accelerate again, the gearbox is realising that it needs a lower ratio gear for better pickup and it’s shifting to the first gear. Maybe that’s what is causing the jerk/pause and the drop in the RPM as well.

Unfortunately, I can't check out this theory as the Sonet doesn’t display which gear is engaged. It just shows ‘D’ on the screen while driving (in all the driving modes). I can see the gear that has been engaged only in manual mode. However, if I test this theory in manual mode, it won't be of any use. The car will most probably stay in the gear that I have engaged manually. In the end, I won’t know what the ECU and gearbox are doing in the automatic mode.

That being said, I will still try out this theory in manual mode and see if I discover anything. Thank you very much for your input.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortis View Post
I think maybe you are stepping on the gas too soon and this is happening because of the difference between petrol and diesel and possibly because of the gearbox tuning.
Actually, yes, I am stepping on the accelerator pedal very quickly. I don't like there to be a long gap between my car and the car in the front when the traffic starts moving because then the two-wheelers try to get in between. So, as soon as the car in front of me moves forward, I immediately shift to 'D', lift my foot from the brake pedal, and press the accelerator pedal. When I don't press the accelerator pedal immediately, I don't feel the jerk/pause as much as I do when I press the accelerator immediately.I do the same thing in my Volkswagen Vento DSG as well but I don't experience any jerk at all.

Anyway, after driving my Sonet for almost 1,500KMs and taking test drives of two other Kia Sonet Diesel Automatic cars as well as the Kia Seltos Diesel Automatic, I have also come to the same conclusion as you. This is just how the engine and gearbox are tuned. I am sure about is that there is no issue with my vehicle in particular. If this is an issue indeed then it is with every car with this engine and gearbox combo. If this issue needs to be solved, Kia has to offer a software update to all the cars.

That being said, I will still check out all the theories that people have been suggesting to me on this forum. Maybe I will discover something new. Thanks for your input buddy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarWorld View Post
My 2 cents here with another angle. In Sonet diesel automatic, hill hold assist feature becomes active in auto mode especially on inclines for 2 - 3 seconds after lifting your foot from brake pedal. I have test driven Sonet diesel on inclines and experienced this. I have seen the same behaviour on Honda City ZX CVT too where the sales guy specifically asked me to lift foot from brake and asked not to accelerate till car starts rolling back just to test hill hold feature. Same should be the case for Seltos diesel automatic too. Hope this helps.
That thought crossed my mind as well. Maybe the whole process of the Hill-Hold Assist feature where the brakes are engaged till the accelerator pedal is pressed is causing the jerk/pause. Here's my theory:

The brakes are kept engaged by the Hill Hold Assist feature for a short period of time even after pressing the accelerator pedal (to avoid rollback). So, when the car can't move forward for that short period of time when the brakes are engaged, the ECU increases the engine RPM in order for the car to move forward. When the Hill-Hold Assist feature releases the brake, the car suddenly moves forward and the ECU realises it doesn't need so much power. So, it drops the engine RPM.

This could also be the reason why the jerk/pause is much more noticeable when I press the accelerator pedal immediately after lifting my foot from the brake pedal. Well, I will check out this theory too as soon as possible. Thank you very much for your input. I will keep you all updated if anything changes.
AbidIqbalShaik is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st May 2022, 10:45   #1504
BHPian

Hi folks, I have a question here pertaining to the wait times of the Sonet automatics. Is there some sort of component level shortage specifically for the automatics, both DCT & AT? I have booked the HTX D AT on 22nd Feb and have been given a wait time of 6 months!! But when I just went to check the latest update in the showroom last week, I was surprised to hear that they haven’t received a SINGLE Auto Sonet in the last two months! (it’s a little hard to believe though)

Moreover, they currently have close to 30+ pending bookings since Oct 2021 specifically for the variant I’m intrested in i.e. HTX D AT. At this rate I doubt if I will ever receive my car even after 6 months if Kia is not shipping any automatics!

My rep also mentioned that starting this year there is a surge in the demand for the automatics, especially the DCT; which currently has a wait time of 7-8 months here in Goa.

Could you’ll help to share your experiences on this please, or any other info pertaining specifically to the long wait times of the automatics ? Pretty sure there’ll be many who are waiting in line for their cars.

Last edited by ashvek3141 : 1st May 2022 at 10:46.
ashvek3141 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st May 2022, 20:22   #1505
BHPian

Quote:

Could you’ll help to share your experiences on this please, or any other info pertaining specifically to the long wait times of the automatics ? Pretty sure there’ll be many who are waiting in line for their cars.
I booked in December for DCT with a wait time of 6 months in Pune. But it's the same news, no DCT received from Kia for the past two months. They did receive a few for iMT and Diesel Auto.
I think Kia is playing a double game. The same transmission is used for Carens and deliveries for that are going as per schedule..
ArijitGupte is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st May 2022, 22:31   #1506
BHPian

Quote:
I was surprised to hear that they haven’t received a SINGLE Auto Sonet in the last two months! (it’s a little hard to believe though)
I had booked the Kia Sonet 1.5 CRDi VGT 6AT GTX Plus on 20/09/2021. At the time of booking, I was told that I’ll get the car within three months. However, it took them five months and nineteen days to deliver the car. I reached out to Kia on social media but that didn’t help me in any way.

During this waiting period, I was once told that the showroom didn’t receive even a single Sonet Diesel AT in two months. On another occasion, I was told that the showroom had received 140 Seltos but only 10 Sonet. I had suspected that the company is doing so to upsell the Seltos.

In my opinion, people are having to wait for a longer period of time for their car to be delivered than the time they were promised because of either of these two reasons:

1. Sales executives are quoting a significantly shorter delivery time than required to lure you into booking the car.
2. They are quoting the right waiting period to the customer but the companies are taking a longer time to deliver the car for whatever reason. In this case, either the company is giving false information/hope to their sales executive so that they can get more bookings or companies are actually struggling with production (due to semiconductor shortage, most probably).

Either way, this is happening to everyone. You aren’t the only one. I hope it gives you some relief to know that it’s not just you. Anyway, the situation is only worsening day by day and that’s what worries me. I hope you get the car soon. All the best buddy.

Last edited by AbidIqbalShaik : 1st May 2022 at 22:38.
AbidIqbalShaik is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st May 2022, 23:54   #1507
BHPian

My sonet with a custom roof wrap.
Attached Thumbnails
Kia Sonet : Official Review-0ebb80c439014a3ea4933c23e5ae91a8.jpeg  

Kia Sonet : Official Review-ff7031e88bed4eada95cbdda993bef32.jpeg  

Kia Sonet : Official Review-5b5a30d9dff94ed38f6d5e80ab443820.jpeg  

Kia Sonet : Official Review-ccd85c5012444d0582cfba4edd3abb17.jpeg  

Kia Sonet : Official Review-a8a7d935d9df45a4bac49cdeef4c36e1.jpeg  

Kia Sonet : Official Review-ca62074079aa4b7fb10319c66c39e7c4.jpeg  

speedfreak01 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2022, 00:38   #1508
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArijitGupte View Post
They did receive a few for iMT and Diesel Auto.
I think Kia is playing a double game. The same transmission is used for Carens and deliveries for that are going as per schedule..
You are right. The main drawback of the D AT is that it is shared with the other 2 cars which primarily have better margins than the Sonet. Needless to say that Kia will choose to go with more money here. As a matter of fact, the sales reps too are giving an option of the Seltos with a sort of commitment of an early delivery.

But what I fail to understand is, why the DCT’s are having supply issues! That drivetrain isn’t shared with any other vehicle (apart from the sibling Venue).

As you mentioned, the iMT & aslo the D MT are readily available. A max wait time of a month or so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbidIqbalShaik View Post
During this waiting period, I was once told that the showroom didn’t receive even a single Sonet Diesel AT in two months. On another occasion, I was told that the showroom had received 140 Seltos but only 10 Sonet. I had suspected that the company is doing so to upsell the Seltos.

Last edited by ashvek3141 : 2nd May 2022 at 00:40.
Old 2nd May 2022, 08:53   #1509
BHPian

Quote:
But what I fail to understand is, why the DCT’s are having supply issues! That drivetrain isn’t shared with any other vehicle (apart from the sibling Venue).
I think the same DCT is shared with all Kia and Hyundai cars.
Yet Hyundai Venue has less wait time. Not just because of the upcoming facelift but even before it was 3-4 months Max.
ArijitGupte is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th May 2022, 09:44   #1510
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by robincsamuel View Post
Noticed a fuel gauge error today. I filled petrol till auto cut-off but the fuel gauge and the range/distance to empty remained at the same position. It didn't change. The difference is 12 litres and the range usually changes by 120-150kms.

Later, the gauge went up slowly though it took more than an hour; the range is still near the old value. I drove nearly 30kms after filling the fuel.

Has anyone else had similar issues?
I experienced this earlier in my Ford Aspire and recently in my Duster too. What I noticed in my case was, when we fill the fuel with ignition is on ( engine off ) digital meter and distance meter takes while to gets updated. It took 5~6kms drive.
RaviGowda is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th May 2022, 09:56   #1511
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaviGowda View Post
What I noticed in my case was, when we fill the fuel with ignition is on ( engine off ) digital meter and distance meter takes while to gets updated. It took 5~6kms drive.
Thanks! I think it's the same. That was the only instance I had ignition on while filling, and got this issue. It took more than 30kms to correct but never faced the issue after that. I'll deliberately try next time to verify the issue
robincsamuel is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 5th May 2022, 14:38   #1512
BHPian

Dear All

Any suggestion on changing the Headlamp (crown jewel model- Sonet HT- iMT model petrol) to a more higher wattage. On the highway the throw is so meek it is better to use a torch literally(am exaggerating a bit really)
Old 8th May 2022, 01:24   #1513

Quote:
Hi folks, I have a question here pertaining to the wait times of the Sonet automatics. Is there some sort of component level shortage specifically for the automatics, both DCT & AT? I have booked the HTX D AT on 22nd Feb and have been given a wait time of 6 months!! But when I just went to check the latest update in the showroom last week, I was surprised to hear that they haven’t received a SINGLE Auto Sonet in the last two months! (it’s a little hard to believe though)

Moreover, they currently have close to 30+ pending bookings since Oct 2021 specifically for the variant I’m intrested in i.e. HTX D AT. At this rate I doubt if I will ever receive my car even after 6 months if Kia is not shipping any automatics!

My rep also mentioned that starting this year there is a surge in the demand for the automatics, especially the DCT; which currently has a wait time of 7-8 months here in Goa.

I had booked my HTX D AT on 24th Aug 2021, and got it in 2nd week of December. The whole time sales rep kept quoting that he will check in next month's allotment for my car, but it took 4 months for it to actually arrive.

My guess is that given that Seltos and Sonet Diesel Automatic share the same drivetrain and similar features, and Seltos equivalent model being 3-4L more expensive, KIA is deliberately manufacturing more Seltos to earn more profit as parts are limit. That's why you see many Carens and Seltos being sold while the cheaper Sonet is always in shortage
necromancer2610 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th May 2022, 08:52   #1514
BHPian

I was told Petrol DCT is in shortgage.
But I was asked to try Diesel GTX it was ready available and went for it. Plus the torque converter AT I felt was much better than DCT.

I think diesels have lesser or No waiting time for Seltos. I picked up a showroom display with few accessories in Mumbai 2 months back
DesertRain is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th May 2022, 12:01   #1515
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by necromancer2610 View Post
I had booked my HTX D AT on 24th Aug 2021, and got it in 2nd week of December. The whole time sales rep kept quoting that he will check in next month's allotment for my car, but it took 4 months for it to actually arrive.

My guess is that given that Seltos and Sonet Diesel Automatic share the same drivetrain and similar features, and Seltos equivalent model being 3-4L more expensive, KIA is deliberately manufacturing more Seltos to earn more profit as parts are limit. That's why you see many Carens and Seltos being sold while the cheaper Sonet is always in shortage
You are absolutely right. KIA is clearly focusing on margins here with the Seltos / Carens and giving Sonet the boot. They also very well know that the Sonet D AT has a clear USP here as there is no car in this segment with this particular drivetrain. Well, even the Sonet DCT has an alternative with the Venue DCT, but not the Sonet D AT. So, for people like me who essentially want a Diesel AT have got no other option in this segment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertRain View Post
I was told Petrol DCT is in shortgage.
But I was asked to try Diesel GTX it was ready available and went for it. Plus the torque converter AT I felt was much better than DCT.

I think diesels have lesser or No waiting time for Seltos. I picked up a showroom display with few accessories in Mumbai 2 months back
Well, there is no major issue with the Seltos D AT / DCT I guess. There are available within a month or two max. It is only the Sonet's that have a huge pile of of wait times.

Also, I got to know from various WA / Telegram groups that the dealers are now trying to upsell the HTX AE saying the the regular HTX models will take a good 6-7 months arrive; whereas, the equivalent AE variants are available with 2 months.

Below is the latest waiting period for the Sonet. I won't be surprised if it touches A YEAR in a few months time.

Name:  Image1 1.jpg
Views: 1652
Size:  122.4 KB

Last edited by ashvek3141 : 8th May 2022 at 12:05.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks