Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 18th September 2020, 14:01   #151
BHPian

re: Kia Sonet : Official Review

Extremely disappointed with this strategy of Kia's to not announce the prices of the GTX+ ATs at the launch. Sticker shock doesn't really make sense to me since anyone who's booked the ATs would know that s/he is going to end up on the pricier side of the spectrum. Would've been good to convert that qualitative feeling into quantities today. Alas! that is not to be. Besides we don't even know when they're going to announce those prices as the only information I have is that it'll happen in a 'few days'
anirudh_85 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th September 2020, 14:08   #152
BHPian

Not really wowed by the pricing as such.

I was looking for a new car unde 10L and was just thinking about the Rapid rider plus AT at 9.49 L which competes against the HTK+ iMT. Sure the Sonet gets more features but the Rapid is based on a safe platform and gets an actual automatic. I was disappointed with the Rapid pricing yesterday but today (unless I missed something big) I am not so sure.

Also, the HTK+ has this listed in the spec sheet:

Quote:
Multi drive modes & Grip control (7DCT only)
Can anyone tell me what the Grip control here refers too? Do they mean traction control?

Last edited by JithinR : 18th September 2020 at 14:12. Reason: Corrected spelling mistakes
JithinR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th September 2020, 14:10   #153
BHPian

I would call this is psychological pricing. As a common man, one gets into the showroom with a mindset that Rs. 6.71 lakh is the pricing. The demo car will be GTX, if someone wants an automatic that, I believe, will be more around Rs. 13 lakh on-road (a Rs. 1 lakh premium over the manual). So a person coming with a Rs. 7 lakhs budget, one will be able to cross sell a car, with an road price of Rs. 15.6 lakhs. HTE variants, I don't think they will manufacture too. Having said that, Kia has another winner, Indian customers will buy this car for sure. But if you ask me, will I put Rs. 15 odd lakhs on this small car personally? My answer is no. I may pick a Nissan Kicks turbo over this, which is also Rs. 15.6 on-road.

Last edited by Aditya : 19th September 2020 at 05:22. Reason: Typos, grammar
anumod is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 18th September 2020, 14:15   #154
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JithinR View Post

Can anyone tell me what the Grip control here refers too? Do they mean traction control?
There are three grip mode settings which tweak the traction control system for better grip - snow, sand and mud modes. These adjust the traction control to provide better grip in such conditions. This is just an electronic system which regulates wheel slip on the front wheels to reduce slip and gain traction by applying brakes.

The drive modes (which are separate from grip modes) are eco, city and sport which tweak engine, gearbox (at only) and steering response as per customer preference.

Last edited by Behemoth : 18th September 2020 at 14:16.
Behemoth is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th September 2020, 14:24   #155
BHPian

These are the On-Road prices in Pune. The GTX+ DCT/AT will definitely exceed 15.5L on road. In comparison, the HTK+ DCT/AT seem more reasonably priced. The on road price difference between the HTK+ and the GTX+ will be about 3L.
Attached Thumbnails
Kia Sonet : Official Review-sonet-otr-pricing-pune.jpg  

rajvardhanraje is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 18th September 2020, 14:40   #156
Senior - BHPian

Reasonable pricing. Most of the numbers would come from the sub-Rs.10L (on-road) HTK, HTK+ & HTK+ iMT variants. HTE would have been a game changer at the same price, if it was packed with features like the Seltos HTE.

Last edited by jetsetgo08 : 18th September 2020 at 14:41.
Old 18th September 2020, 14:49   #157

So it appears that Kia has priced Sonet smartly and the feature distribution is where Kia has totally outdone the competition, even its sister Hyundai Venue. Lets compare the variants of Sonet and Venue which might be the highest selling variants in their lineup i.e Venue SX (Petrol turbo iMT and MT diesel) and Kia Sonet HTX (iMT and MT diesel). All these variants are priced at 9.99L ex showroom.

Advantages Hyundai Venue:-
  • Alloy wheels
Advantages Kia Sonet:-
  • Higher ground clearance and slightly imposing looks as compared to Venue.
  • Automatic headlamps.
  • Passive Keyless entry and Push button start along with ORVMs opening welcome feature.
  • Rear Centre armrest.
  • Leatherette padding on door armrests.
  • Wireless Apple car play.
The Kia Sonet HTX has only alloy wheels missing while most of the other features are present. This appears to me the most value for money variant along with the GTX+ variant. The GTX+ variant is only 34k more than HTX+ which makes stretching to GTX+ a no brainer, save for the all black interiors in a not so roomy cabin and red highlights on the outside which may not be to everyone's taste.

Last edited by Seenz : 18th September 2020 at 14:58.
Seenz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th September 2020, 14:51   #158
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajvardhanraje View Post
These are the On-Road prices in Pune. The GTX+ DCT/AT will definitely exceed 15.5L on road. In comparison, the HTK+ DCT/AT seem more reasonably priced. The on road price difference between the HTK+ and the GTX+ will be about 3L.
When ex showroom prices of 1.0 turbo is similar to 1.5 diesel, why there is difference in on road prices?? May be it is because of difference in insurance prices of 1000 cc and 1500 cc vehicle.
Moreover with 1.0 petrol prices are similar to 1.5 diesel prices, it will now be worth watching which way the customers will go now, petrol or diesel. The only factor weighing in favour of petrol is that it is IMT semi automatic.
Old 18th September 2020, 15:28   #159
BHPian

Reasonable pricing from Kia. Big miss not offering the DCT in the top spec variants. What is it with manufacturers not offering ATs on the top variants??
Old 18th September 2020, 15:56   #160
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahulcmoulee View Post
Reasonable pricing from Kia. Big miss not offering the DCT in the top spec variants. What is it with manufacturers not offering ATs on the top variants??
Both top-end variants are there but prices have not been announced so that people don't start cancelling bookings for the top-end petrol and diesel due to high pricing!
CEF_Beasts is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th September 2020, 15:59   #161
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahulcmoulee View Post
KIA is probably just trying to avoid the eye-catching, jaw-dropping numbers of 15/16L OTR pricing (I'm looking at you Bangalore!) of a sub-4m car.
They are soon going to announce the automatic on the top variant, albeit silently.
Skoda's Rapid automatic announcement yesterday looked a lot more professional than whatever it is that KIA has done with Sonet price reveal.
7000plusrpm is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th September 2020, 16:10   #162
Senior - BHPian

Sid Patankar on not announcing auto GTX+ variants prices on launch day.

Kia Sonet : Official Review-smartselect_20200918160919_twitter.jpg

https://twitter.com/sidpatankar/stat...439588865?s=19

Last edited by Venkatesh : 18th September 2020 at 16:12.
Venkatesh is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 18th September 2020, 16:42   #163
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajvardhanraje View Post
Not VFM for sure. Disappointed with the pricing. Nexon still has upper hand in my opinion. New version which Tata launched has sunroof with other features in 10 Lacs on road. Nexon is more powerful in petrol Avatar than Sonet. Also New Nexon looks better IMHO than Sonet, my personal opinion.

Last edited by aniketi : 18th September 2020 at 16:43.
aniketi is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 18th September 2020, 17:05   #164
BHPian

There is slight or no difference in mid and lower variants when comparing with Venue counterparts. But once you pickup the top model GTX+ the difference shoots up by 53,700 for Diesel and whooping 86K for petrol iMT.

Need to check what feature wise difference made such a price difference for GTX+
Attached Thumbnails
Kia Sonet : Official Review-whatsapp-image-20200918-3.44.33-pm.jpeg  

livetodrive is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th September 2020, 17:17   #165
BHPian

When did a 1.5 Diesel 4 cylinder became similarly priced to a 1.0 Petrol 3 cylinder? Point to be noted is that it's a capable 3, proper fun diesel. The petrol, though good, not so much.
Isn't this the BS6 era where diesels are more expensive to build?
1.0 Petrol is priced too steep in my opinion.
For other variants, the prices seem good.

Most Viewed