Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th January 2023, 10:49   #1861
BHPian

Re: Kia Sonet : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmazeGuru View Post
Hearty Congratulations on your new car. I too got the same color GTX+ DAT in Dec. Happy driving and you'll certainly enjoy the ownership.

One question - since KIA increased the price from 1st Jan, did you end up paying the new price or the price at the time of booking?
I think he got it alotted last month, just registered it this year. Had mentioned it in the previous pages

On the other hand, I'll have to pay the hiked price. Less VFM now, but still such a great car.
Old 25th January 2023, 15:52   #1862
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmazeGuru View Post
Hearty Congratulations on your new car. I too got the same color GTX+ DAT in Dec. Happy driving and you'll certainly enjoy the ownership.

One question - since KIA increased the price from 1st Jan, did you end up paying the new price or the price at the time of booking?
Thanks. Congrats to you as well. I got the car invoiced and loan disbursed on 30th Dec. Delivery was delayed due to muhurat.
Got the sunfilms (Garware Ecolite and Garware fronty) and rear steel guard (M-Tek) installed today from aftermarket.
Torq is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th January 2023, 06:15   #1863
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07CR View Post
Came across this video.

https://Youtu.be/CGaBfWRQmtY

Can someone please verify if he is correct? I normally use the creep function in traffic and now I am worried about my clutch plate.
Can someone please confirm if the guy in video is right ?
Old 26th January 2023, 18:31   #1864
BHPian

Around three weeks ago, Hyundai Motor Group posted a video on YouTube showcasing the manufacturing plant of Kia in Andhra Pradesh. I came across that video today and I have discovered something very interesting in it.

One of the scenes in the video shows a person inspecting a Kia Sonet. While doing so, he opens and closes the hood (or the bonnet) of the vehicle. Now, the hood of this Kia Sonet has an insulation pad. As far as I know, the Kia Sonet does not come with an insulation pad under the hood. The Team-BHP review points it out and my Kia Sonet 1.5 CRDi VGT 6AT GTX Plus didn’t come with one either.

I’m sure that the company wouldn’t equip an insulation pad on the vehicle just to make it look good in the video. That means Kia has most likely started offering an insulation pad under the hood of the Sonet. Maybe what I’m pointing out here has already been discussed on the forum. However, I couldn’t find any such posts here. So, I thought I’ll share this discovery with the forum members. I apologise for repeating the topic if it has already been discussed on the forum earlier.

If Kia has indeed started offering an insulation (or sound-deadening) pad under the hood of the Sonet, the existing owners could buy that from the service center and install it on their vehicles. This will reduce the sound of the engine transmitting inside the cabin. I’m attaching a screenshot of the video where the Sonet is equipped with an insulation pad under the hood. I’m also attaching the link to the video for your reference.

Kia Sonet : Official Review-sonet-seltos-cuttingedge-suv-manufacturing-plant-india-_-kia-india-329-screenshot.png

Old 26th January 2023, 19:07   #1865
REN
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbidIqbalShaik View Post
One of the scenes in the video shows a person inspecting a Kia Sonet. While doing so, he opens and closes the hood (or the bonnet) of the vehicle. Now, the hood of this Kia Sonet has an insulation pad. As far as I know, the Kia Sonet does not come with an insulation pad under the hood. The Team-BHP review points it out and my Kia Sonet 1.5 CRDi VGT 6AT GTX Plus didn’t come with one either.
It is an export variant. You can clearly see the steering on the left hand side after he closes the hood.
REN is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th January 2023, 20:17   #1866
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by REN View Post
It is an export variant. You can clearly see the steering on the left hand side after he closes the hood.
In the next frame, when the technician is connecting the diagnostics to OBD, it's clear to be a right hand side steering.

Looking to put up insulation pad myself. Let's see if seltos one can be fitted.
Old 26th January 2023, 20:52   #1867
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torq View Post
In the next frame, when the technician is connecting the diagnostics to OBD, it's clear to be a right hand side steering.

Can you please update me on this? Do dimensions match? I think if it does then most of the job is done. Little wary of doing this though, would it pose fire hazard (I think it does the opposite but not sure) or cause any sort of warranty issues?
Old 28th January 2023, 13:15   #1868

Hello enthusiasts,

I have recently taken my car for 4th Service, an ECU new version has been updated in my 1.5 Diesel MT car have enquired with the service advisor for some insights for which he mentioned it is an update framed as "Logic Improvement" which improves DEF soot burning in the car, I don't know what's wrong but I felt very slight performance reduction say <2%. Especially in lower gears with good Torque grunt may be due to new consumables and oil filter. I'll update regarding this after some more driving.

Kia Sonet : Official Review-whatsapp-image-20230128-12.51.10-pm.jpeg

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbidIqbalShaik View Post
Now, the hood of this Kia Sonet has an insulation pad. As far as I know, the Kia Sonet does not come with an insulation pad under the hood. The Team-BHP review points it out and my Kia Sonet 1.5 CRDi VGT 6AT GTX Plus didn’t come with one either.
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by epiccross View Post
Can you please update me on this? Do dimensions match? I think if it does then most of the job is done. Little wary of doing this though, would it pose fire hazard (I think it does the opposite but not sure) or cause any sort of warranty issues?
My dear friend, who is a proud owner of a GTX+ AT, and I recently purchased a Seltos insulation pad for 1350, along with hood clips for 250. We attempted a small DIY project to install the insulation pad in our Sonet. However, the results were not as significant as we had anticipated. This may have been due to the fact that my friend had dampened all the doors from the first month of purchase. He suggested that I first add damping sheets on the bonnet before installing the insulation pad as my car is also damped to see if any improvement in sound deadening.

I'm attaching picture here for reference.

Kia Sonet : Official Review-whatsapp-image-20230128-12.51.28-pm.jpeg

Last edited by libranof1987 : 28th January 2023 at 15:50. Reason: Merging back-to-back posts. Kindly use the Quote+/Edit functionality to quote multiple posts.
That red_97 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th January 2023, 15:31   #1869
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by That red_97 View Post
... results were not as significant as we had anticipated....
Thats a nifty little DIY that quite a few owners have been looking forward to do. Was the insulator pad same size or it had to be adjusted? The holes matched perfectly?

When you say results were not significant, is it in relation to the noise insulation or heat insulation?
I tried looking for seltos under bonnet insulation pad on boodmo, but it seems out of stock. Was alternatively planning to just place some damping sheets instead of the insulation pad under the bonnet.
Torq is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th January 2023, 22:17   #1870

Quote:
Thats a nifty little DIY that quite a few owners have been looking forward to do. Was the insulator pad same size or it had to be adjusted? The holes matched perfectly?

When you say results were not significant, is it in relation to the noise insulation or heat insulation?
I tried looking for seltos under bonnet insulation pad on boodmo, but it seems out of stock. Was alternatively planning to just place some damping sheets instead of the insulation pad under the bonnet.
Insulation pad is of not same size it is on a bit bigger side, on right hand side a small portion will be not able sit like seltos but it will stay intact on the bonnet as holders do their work by holding it firm, so not a problem at all. Holes match only 20% you need to make atleast 80% new holes to make pad sit on the bonnet, it can be done with simple screw driver. I'm talking about noise insulation, heat insulation we haven't even considered into account.
We have used apple watch and mobile to record the decibels before and after here are our observations Before pad installation (<1000RPM = <59 db, 1000-2000RPM= <65 db, 2000-3000RPM= <70 db), After pad installation (<1000RPM = <58 db, 1000-2000RPM= <64 db, 2000-3000RPM= <68 db) with AC off, these may be inaccurate but we just wanted to try it out.
I suggest if you have any friend or family members who have seltos you can make them order/buy and get bill on their vin, also works if you have good connection with service centre. Try it out i suggest you - Damping sheet as 1st layer and pad as 2nd layer which I'm going to install in a month or so.
-Thank you
That red_97 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th January 2023, 22:47   #1871
BHPian

After doing some research, perhaps hood damping might not return good results. Will check it out once you go ahead with your DIY I'm coming from an 2015 Amaze which has bad NVH, so I can live with it for a bit
Old 30th January 2023, 20:14   #1872

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07CR View Post
Came across this video.

https://Youtu.be/CGaBfWRQmtY

He explains that using creeping function in iMT gearbox damages the clutch. So he recommends to use accelerator wherever possible when moving off in first gear. He explains the clutch is partially engaged if you use the creep function and it burns the clutch.

Can someone please verify if he is correct? I normally use the creep function in traffic and now I am worried about my clutch plate.

He's mostly right. From what I've observed in my Sonet iMT, the max creeping speed in 1'st gear is 8kmph. This is the speed at which the clutch is disengaged completely. This is the same creeping speed you'd experience in a proper MT as well when you let go of the clutch fully. So if you're at 8kmph in 1st gear with no accelerator input, you will not be burning the clutch. At this creeping speed, if you tab the brake and the car slows down to 6-7kmph, the clutch is still fully disengaged. Only at speeds below this is when it starts "riding" the clutch. You'd experience the same thing in a proper MT as well.

The creeping speed in 2'nd gear when the clutch is fully disengaged is ~14 kmph and ~17 kmph for 3rd gear. Below these speeds is when the clutch will engaged. These speeds are, again, comparable to a proper MT counterpart.

To sum it up, if you're creeping below the speeds mentioned above for the respective gears for longer periods of time/frequently, the car will "ride" the clutch and will wear it out sooner than.
Nikhil0812 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2023, 15:01   #1873

Hi Members,

I got an HTX 1.5L diesel MT a few weeks back and something has been bugging me since day 1. When I shift from 2nd to 3rd gear as I release the clutch, even without any accelerator input the vehicle is accelerating quite rapidly and even touches 40kmph before settling down to 25/30 kmph.
I have driven a lot of different petrol and diesel cars but this behaviour is not something I felt in 3rd gear and the extent of this is also a surprise for me.

I didn't test drive the Sonet diesel MT so am not sure if it is normal or not. Am eager to hear comments on this behaviour.
Old 3rd February 2023, 15:44   #1874
BHPian

Is that not a feature that prevents stalling/lugging? This is great (if it is that), because my MT Amaze never had this and in my early days, I used to stall my car/lug the engine a lot more than I'd have liked

Last edited by epiccross : 3rd February 2023 at 15:46.
epiccross is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2023, 17:00   #1875
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by longdrives0903 View Post
Hi Members,

I got an HTX 1.5L diesel MT a few weeks back and something has been bugging me since day 1. When I shift from 2nd to 3rd gear as I release the clutch, even without any accelerator input the vehicle is accelerating quite rapidly and even touches 40kmph before settling down to 25/30 kmph.
I have driven a lot of different petrol and diesel cars but this behaviour is not something I felt in 3rd gear and the extent of this is also a surprise for me.

I didn't test drive the Sonet diesel MT so am not sure if it is normal or not. Am eager to hear comments on this behaviour.
It is normal in Sonet. It's the anti stall feature as mentioned by epiccross. Just make sure you are in appropriate gear with respect to speed. MID also indicates the appropriate gear you should be in. Be careful not to lug in bumper to bumper traffic.
_chikku is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks