Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 20th December 2023, 18:49   #2116
Senior - BHPian

Re: Kia Sonet : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by robincsamuel View Post
Kia Sonet Facelift Premiere on 14th December.

https://Youtu.be/Q6sa19OWifM?si=Kr3oQQxA5rmZ5MQT
Did the facelift premiere happen? Any idea?

Edit : Ok. the website shows the new model. Thanks you

Last edited by beejay : 20th December 2023 at 19:08. Reason: Edit : Ok. the website
Old 21st December 2023, 17:06   #2117

Quote:
Originally Posted by vamship View Post
Below is the sequence of events

March end 2023 (9500 KMs on OD): Due to a rat bite issue, the service centre removed and refitted the vehicle's wiring, as they said there was an exposed wire somewhere which was causing the ABS sensor issues. They kept the vehicle for almost two weeks to identify and fix the ABS issues.
Hello Vamship,

Did you sort out the above problem?
I've been dealing with a similar issue on my BS6 Sonet GTX Diesel MT. My regular drives are between Kerala and Bangalore (NH44, NH544). I hardly use it about 4 days a month for office commute in Bangalore traffic (8 Kms - 30 mins each way). But despite this minimal city drive, I keep getting DPF warnings and usually do parked regeneration (~30 Mins) to clear the warning.

A couple of months ago, while driving back from my hometown, I noticed the RPM occasionally getting stuck at certain points, causing a strange choking and vibration. It doesn't happen consistently, just irregularly. I've noticed it locks at around 1500 RPM on 4th and 5th gears, and around 1800 RPM on the 6th gear. The choking is noticeable, but it seems to ease when I reduce the throttle.

Took it to the KIA Epitome service center in Hoodi Bangalore, but they couldn't reproduce the issue. They checked the DPF readings, confirmed successful regeneration, and claimed there were no other problems detected.

During my next trip back home, the issue persisted. So, I went back to the showroom where I bought it. After a lengthy test drive for ~60KM, we finally managed to replicate the issue on the highway. They found an issue with the exhaust oxygen sensor readings - the sensor was clogged with exhaust dust, affecting power delivery. They cleaned it up, and for about a month, the problem disappeared. But recently, it's started happening again, but this time I felt the chocking aka RPM lock only once on the last trip back from home.

According to the service center, the clogging is due to the high sulphur in low-quality fuel. They recommended using diesel from Jio or Shell stations. Earlier, I used to fill up at a top-notch HP outlet in Marathahalli, but from the last two months I've been refueling at Jio BP or Nayara outlets.

Not sure if this helps with your issue, but you can anyways check the condition of the sensors.

I'm beginning to think maybe I should've gone with a petrol variant instead.

Last edited by ampere : 21st December 2023 at 18:48. Reason: trimmed quoted post
Old 21st December 2023, 21:15   #2118
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amarnathmb View Post

Did you sort out the above problem?
I've been dealing with a similar issue on my BS6 Sonet GTX Diesel MT. My regular drives are between Kerala and Bangalore (NH44, NH544). I hardly use it about 4 days a month for office commute in Bangalore traffic (8 Kms - 30 mins each way). But despite this minimal city drive, I keep getting DPF warnings and usually do parked regeneration (~30 Mins) to clear the warning.
Not sure if Iíve understood your post correctly but if your driving is barely 8 kms a day, that too in city traffic than your bound to face the DPF issues. Moreover, the running is just 4 days a month? Is there any long highway run on weekends maybe? Possibly a good highway run could sort thr issue.
Old 21st December 2023, 22:22   #2119

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashvek3141 View Post
Not sure if I’ve understood your post correctly but if your driving is barely 8 kms a day, that too in city traffic than your bound to face the DPF issues. Moreover, the running is just 4 days a month? Is there any long highway run on weekends maybe? Possibly a good highway run could sort thr issue.
Hi Ashvek,

Perhaps I didn't express myself clearly. What I intended to convey is that I frequently cover around 1000 kilometers during my weekend trips to my hometown, primarily using the highway. My city commute occurs approximately four times a month for office purposes, covering 16 kilometers each time.

Given this usage pattern, I believe that encountering frequent DPF warnings during such brief city drives amidst extensive highway travel seems unexpected.

Last edited by Aditya : 27th December 2023 at 17:07. Reason: Quoted text edited
amarnathmb is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th December 2023, 21:02   #2120

Hello All,

I've driven my HTX Diesel AT approx 23k kms in 9 months. Getting mileage between 12-13 in peak Delhi traffic with AC and around 17-18 without AC in current weather.

I want to ask has anybody put close to 100w LED in Fog Lamps as stock bulb is 51w. If anyone has, please tell the response of the same.
nikhil.sikka is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th December 2023, 22:25   #2121
BHPian

My Sonet P AT, came back from 1st free service today and noticeable performance difference in "normal" drive mode, for good. Initial lag is well contained now. Service manager said, they only reset the ECU, no errors detected, so no correction implemented. No change in firmware as it is already delivered with latest available version.
Just posting as FYI., for new Sonet owners.
vinbie2019 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th December 2023, 02:12   #2122
BHPian

Since the iOS update to 17.2.1 I am unable to connect to CarPlay in my Sonet. Anyone else facing the same issue? Any solutions?
Old 27th December 2023, 12:20   #2123
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpagedar View Post
Since the iOS update to 17.2.1 I am unable to connect to CarPlay in my Sonet. Anyone else facing the same issue? Any solutions?
I had this issue when I got iOS 17. Though I dont know what exactly fixed it, I removed Kia from the iPhone CarPlay under settings, added it again and also changed the cable (mine is still wired). If this does not work, try resetting the entertainment system.
AmazeGuru is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th December 2023, 14:59   #2124
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikhil.sikka View Post

I want to ask has anybody put close to 100w LED in Fog Lamps as stock bulb is 51w. If anyone has, please tell the response of the same.
I have swapped the original halogen fog bulbs to the White LED. Don't drive in fog so the white light may not create issues in fog.
Using
https://durvient.com/100w-led-bulbs-...hts-3570-chip/

They are 100w together. But the brightness is lot lot better than the stock halogen fog lamps and are direct fitting.
Select 9006 or HB4 socket

Blaupunkt also has good ones but slightly expensive

https://blaupunkt.com/c_ind/product/...ro-6000k-9006/
ArijitGupte is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th December 2023, 15:46   #2125
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmazeGuru View Post
I had this issue when I got iOS 17. Though I dont know what exactly fixed it, I removed Kia from the iPhone CarPlay under settings, added it again and also changed the cable (mine is still wired). If this does not work, try resetting the entertainment system.
Looks like I will have to reset the system. I removed the vehicle but am unable to add it again. Bit frustrating this.
Old 7th January 2024, 09:41   #2126
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArijitGupte View Post
I have swapped the original halogen fog bulbs to the White LED. Don't drive in fog so the white light may not create issues in fog.
Did you get these fitted at the dealer or outside? Any re-programming of the ECU to be done or any canbus errors?
Old 7th January 2024, 10:47   #2127
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrman View Post
So the first 1000 km/1 month service was done at my home and was uneventful.

Now my 6 month/5k kms service was due. Booked a pick up and drop service today....

The car is running fine, completed 2250 kms in 6 months of purchase. ...I am now consistently getting city mileage around 9.5 kmpl.
I completed my first long highway run in the last week of December 23. Covered 2100 kms to and fro from Bengaluru to Mumbai, taking my total running in my 10 months of ownership now to 5500 kms. My observations so far:
Pros:
1. The IMT was pretty convenient and helped avoid left leg fatigue. The absence of a clutch, plus control over quick gear shifts was a blessing.
2. Mileage was 17 kmpl in Petrol. Measured by Tank to Tank method and was not too far off from the MID.
3. Cruise Control was a boon in my drive. Mostly on my way back from Hubbali to Tumkur, was on CC and let the car take care of the rest.
4. Steering is smooth at lower speeds and firm at higher speeds, no issues there
5. The LED headlights seems adequate and bright enough. However still miss my old Rapid's stock halogens with Philips Extreme Power.
6. AC was pretty good, partly due to the climate and was kept at a comfortable 25 constantly.
7. The boot had enough space for 3 cabin suitcases, backpack and a couple of duffel bags. So this exceeded my expectations.

Cons:
1. The suspension is bumpy and not as smooth over rough roads. Minor speed breakers where I saw some Nexons and other vehicles going at 40 kmph, in my Sonet, it was felt in the cabin. Feedback from my mom is that bumps are felt more prominently in the back seat compared to front.
2. Didn't take it beyond 120 due to the constant alarm beeps, hence couldn't test the stability at high speeds.
3. Sunroof seems to be an unnecessary feature, couldn't find any practical use case where it could be opened. Did see some morons on the way who had opened their sunroof and were standing out. Said a silent prayer for them and moved on.
4. Minor rattles are being seen, primarily due to the collapsible sun shade on the rear windows which has plastic clips. Sometimes also due to seatbelts not clipped in their idle holders.
5. There is a prominent lag felt in the 1st gear. When moving from standstill or accelerating till the turbo kicks in and gear change, the progress is lethargic.
6. Lower Gearshifts are not as smooth as I would have liked, especially from 1st to 2nd and to 3rd, which are a bit clunky. The 4th to 5th to 6th seem ok.
7. Beige cloth seat covers are a dirt and stain magnet, its a bit difficult to maintain for a neatness freak and there is a felt need to to have these cleaned every 6-9 months.

Overall, it was a pleasant drive and I am enjoying my experience with the Sonet.

Last edited by hrman : 7th January 2024 at 10:53.
hrman is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th January 2024, 12:22   #2128
BHPian

Quote:
I completed my first long highway run in the last week of December 23. Covered 2100 kms to and fro from Bengaluru to Mumbai, taking my total running in my 10 months of ownership now to 5500 kms.
Your mileage is pretty good and I am sure you are driving on a light foot .

Regarding the suspension, it's not as bad as it is made out on the web. I believe from 2022 model onwards the suspension has been slightly made softer. However Nexon and the Duster have better suspension, from a comfort perspective, over the Sonet!

I have a 2022 October manufactired Sonet GTX+ 7DCT and the suspension is not so bad.
searacer932 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th January 2024, 12:26   #2129
BHPian

Quote:
Did you get these fitted at the dealer or outside? Any re-programming of the ECU to be done or any canbus errors?
Installed them myself. Didn't need any re-programing. These ones have not given any canbus errors so far. Been almost a year since I installed them.
Are a lot brighter than the halogen. Only issue is that these are White LEDs. So will not be very effective in Fog conditions. I don't drive in Fog so haven't had any problems.
Old 11th January 2024, 15:29   #2130

Thanks for sharing the detailed review of the 2024 Kia Sonet facelift. Sounds like Kia has made some nice upgrades without changing too much. I like that it got new LED headlights and taillights, along with the updated interior tech. The digital cluster and new touchscreen look really sharp. Seems like an good compact SUV overall.
routefinder is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed