Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 16th December 2020, 12:52   #871
BHPian

Re: Kia Sonet : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathPig View Post
I don't understand why none of these magazines do a review on the petrol MT 1.2L engine.
May be because they are focused on promoting the turbo variant and the NA motor with IVT.

Have heard similar tales of Kia showrooms not having the 1.5L MPI motor with MT for test-drives but few dealers had one with IVT for the Seltos.
Tojo_GotBhp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th December 2020, 12:57   #872
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tojo_GotBhp View Post
May be because they are focused on promoting the turbo variant and the NA motor with IVT.

Have heard similar tales of Kia showrooms not having the 1.5L MPI motor with MT for test-drives but few dealers had one with IVT for the Seltos.
Indeed I had to struggle to get an MT Petrol to drive, and finally they arranged a car for me from Vellore or Kanchipuram ( I don't remember exactly).
Old 16th December 2020, 14:05   #873
BHPian

Quote:
Indeed I had to struggle to get an MT Petrol to drive, and finally they arranged a car for me from Vellore or Kanchipuram ( I don't remember exactly).
I also wanted to test drive a MT (HTK Plus), but the showroom guy said no MT vehicles are available for Test drive. This was in Hubli-Kia Nagshanti. I have received similar feedback from various other prospective buyers where the MT is never available in any showrooms for test drive.
Old 16th December 2020, 15:29   #874
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc4Life View Post
Hi fellow bhp-ians,

Has anyone noticed a faint “whistling noise” when driving at speeds over 80kmph in their sonet?

Mine is a GTX+ variant and the noise emanates near the tweeters on the driver as well as the passenger sides.

I thought it was an issue with just my car but when the service personnel drove the showroom test drive cars, the same noise was noticed in those cars as well.

Kindly let me know if anyone else has encountered this and what could be the probable cause?
I have the same variant and have noticed this noise at higher speeds too. To be honest I presumed it to be wind noise since it only comes at higher speeds and sounds like its coming from the ORVM.
Old 16th December 2020, 16:35   #875
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chetancm7 View Post
I also wanted to test drive a MT (HTK Plus), but the showroom guy said no MT vehicles are available for Test drive. This was in Hubli-Kia Nagshanti. I have received similar feedback from various other prospective buyers where the MT is never available in any showrooms for test drive.
Just curious. Do you know anyone who got the HTK Plus petrol? Are they happy with the performance?
Old 16th December 2020, 17:55   #876
AYP
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Just curious. Do you know anyone who got the HTK Plus petrol? Are they happy with the performance?
I have been seeing a few of your posts on this thread. It'd be difficult to get an opinion on the 1.2 Sonet or for that matter the Venue, since very few, if any, have brought that variant here on the forum.

Coming to the performance of the 1.2, you can search for it in the previous gen i20 official review thread to get an idea of its performance and the feedback from members. Many members have described it as being sluggish. Since the Sonet and the previous gen i20 weigh similar, I don't expect much of a difference in performance.

I have driven the 1.2 in the previous gen i20 and let me tell you, I found it to be the most sluggish in the segment. In fact I enjoyed the VW 1.2 MPi more than this engine. Among all the 1.2 petrol cars I have driven so far, only the Tigor's 1.2 has been inferior.

If you aren't too keen on performance and want a car which is good for taking you to point B from point A, then you should go for it.

But since you are concerned about performance, I would highly suggest getting the Turbo. In fact in my opinion, the diesel HTK at 50k more is a better buy than the 1.2 petrol HTK+ if someone prioritises performance over features.

Best of luck!
AYP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th December 2020, 18:17   #877
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AYP View Post

Coming to the performance of the 1.2, you can search for it in the previous gen i20 official review thread to get an idea of its performance and the feedback from members. Many members have described it as being sluggish. Since the Sonet and the previous gen i20 weigh similar, I don't expect much of a difference in performance.

Best of luck!
Thank you for the response. Indeed, I was quite apprehensive. But I had a chat with the better half. She would prefer having the petrol 1.2, without turbo as she's only going to be driving for the first time ever, and lesser power would make her a better driver.

I concur. It will have to be the HTK+ atleast for now.

Thank you for taking the time to respond however.
DeathPig is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th December 2020, 18:30   #878
BHPian

Quote:
Most of the folks on Facebook page have given good reviews about the MT 1.2, but it could also be that they have never driven a higher torque car. I am one of them since the car I own is a 800 cc eon. Moreover I wanted a MT which is not available in Turbo, hence had to settle with HTK plus. Not too keen on Diesel so that left me no choice.
chetancm7 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th December 2020, 14:04   #879
ADH

Purchased the Sonnet HTX IMT version on 29th november after a brief review and analysis of the options. Have driven the car for around 500 kms so far and the experience has been satisfying and as per expectations.

Before the Sonnet I was driving Brezza ZDI diesel which has a good torque and solid body. The Sonnet Petrol IMT definitely feels more sophisticated and smoother to drive.

Feel that HTX IMT is one of the more sensible and Value for Money variants in the choices. Although I would love to add some of the missing features aftermarket if that is feasible - Wireless Charger plate and TPMS. Anyone in the forum knows if these two can be added ?
Old 17th December 2020, 16:57   #880
BHPian

Quote:
I have been seeing a few of your posts on this thread. It'd be difficult to get an opinion on the 1.2 Sonet or for that matter the Venue, since very few, if any, have brought that variant here on the forum.

But since you are concerned about performance, I would highly suggest getting the Turbo. In fact in my opinion, the diesel HTK at 50k more is a better buy than the 1.2 petrol HTK+ if someone prioritises performance over features.

Best of luck!
Thank you for the response.

After a night of furthur research and discussions, we have decided to swap the order. We will now either be going for the HTK+ / HTX iMT variants. We just need to figure out if the HTX is worth it for the extra tens of thousands.

We watched multiple reviews of the i20 1.2, as well as the Venue and suffice to say we're less than impressed with the grunt it has (or rather, lack of it). Thank you for your message, I believe it saved us buyer's remorse. And in this case it would have lasted for quite a long time.
DeathPig is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th December 2020, 17:49   #881
AYP
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thank you for the response.

After a night of furthur research and discussions, we have decided to swap the order. We will now either be going for the HTK+ / HTX iMT variants. We just need to figure out if the HTX is worth it for the extra tens of thousands.

We watched multiple reviews of the i20 1.2, as well as the Venue and suffice to say we're less than impressed with the grunt it has (or rather, lack of it). Thank you for your message, I believe it saved us buyer's remorse. And in this case it would have lasted for quite a long time.
No issues mate. Glad to be of help.

P.S. One more advise - Please go for the HTX unless you are uncomfortably stretched for the HTK+ variant. The amount of extras it offers will further save you from buyers remorse. You may not notice it much initially. but once the initial novelty wears down and you notice/expreience other cars with features like sunroof and those shiny DRLs with white lights(LEDs), you may start asking yourself if saving the 50k was worth it.

The difference between the HTX and the higher variants is not as huge as that between the HTX and the lower variants, save for 6 airbags, alloys and ventilated seats. Choose between the HTX diesel and the HTX Turbo iMT on the basis of your preferred choice of transmission.

Last edited by AYP : 17th December 2020 at 17:57.
AYP is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th December 2020, 18:29   #882

Hey guys,

Had a question - I'm coming up on the one month mark and my car is due for the free service.

I had bought it from Naara KIA which is in JP Nagar, but that is really far from home and having checked online, VST KIA in Yeshwantpur seems like the closest option. I only bought it from Naara on the recommendation of a friend or I would have probably bought it from somewhere closer otherwise.

Is there any disadvantage to taking it for a the free service to a service center of a dealership I didn't buy the car from? Will they pay the same attention to it? Does anyone have any experience in having done this? I still haven't hit 1000kms despite a drive to Wayanad thanks to this WFH situation but apparently you have to do either 1 month or 1000 KM, whichever comes first.

Thanks!
Old 17th December 2020, 18:53   #883
Senior - BHPian

I really wish that Kia considers AT transmissions in the HTX variants.

That model is priced at about 50k above the HTK+ but gets lots of nice features. It also comes with the Black and beige interiors which really helps improve the feeling of spaciousness inside the cabin. I wish they consider this variant in future. Right now for customers who what an automatic, its either the overtly loaded and also expensive GTX+ or the sparsely equipped HTK+! There is no middle-ground at the moment.
aravind.anand is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th December 2020, 19:22   #884
BHPian

Quote:
P.S. One more advise - Please go for the HTX unless you are uncomfortably stretched for the HTK+ variant. The amount of extras it offers will further save you from buyers remorse. You may not notice it much initially. but once the initial novelty wears down and you notice/expreience other cars with features like sunroof and those shiny DRLs with white lights(LEDs), you may start asking yourself if saving the 50k was worth it.
I back this opinion as I went through the similar thought. My initial budget was up to HTK+ but after the price release, I realized the exact feeling that you have explained. 50K additional for LED headlamps/Cruise control/Sunroof and moreover the pleasant and plush dual tone interior, is a very less margin rather a great buy I would say.
BKB999 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th December 2020, 23:29   #885
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADH View Post
Although I would love to add some of the missing features aftermarket if that is feasible - Wireless Charger plate and TPMS. Anyone in the forum knows if these two can be added ?
I bought a wireless charger, plugged it into the USB and placed it below the AC Controls, Its set!
vinitadikonda is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed