Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th April 2021, 16:20   #1006
Team-BHP Support

Re: Kia Sonet : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by nayan_ncr View Post
1) Right now, i am not sure if it's a puncture or a flat tyre completely, so i am not sure to go to local MRF service center or go for insurance in case tyre is burst.
This is a puncture. You’ve already spotted the object that’s punctured the tire (if that’s what I think it is). Why would you want to go to insurance for this? You might have driven over that object and it caused the tire to deflate gradually over time.

Quote:
2) Is there anything else that i need to be wary of? I have not contacted KIA yet, so waiting for any guidance here.
You don’t have to contact Kia for this. Just go to your neighbourhood tire dealer or a puncture repair shop and ask them to fix this. They’ll send someone over to your home.

Quote:
3) In case i have to take it out, how many KMs at max can i drive in this condition.
Not advisable to drive in this state. There’s barely any air inside that tire. If you don’t have a portable inflator, please ask someone for help as I’ve mentioned above.
Old 6th April 2021, 16:26   #1007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
This is a puncture. You’ve already spotted the object that’s punctured the tire (if that’s what I think it is). Why would you want to go to insurance for this? You might have driven over that object and it caused the tire to deflate gradually over time.

You don’t have to contact Kia for this. Just go to your neighbourhood tire dealer or a puncture repair shop and ask them to fix this. They’ll send someone over to your home.

Not advisable to drive in this state. There’s barely any air inside that tire. If you don’t have a portable inflator, please ask someone for help as I’ve mentioned above.
Thankyou for the response.

1) I took along with me one of the service mechanic from local MRF showroom and he told me that the object has gone deep into the tyre and it seems that it has damaged it. Hence, it is advisable to replace the tyre.
Note- He did not open the tyre to inspect, he just checked this object (shown in pic) and tried to dislodge it but told me it is deep inside the tyre to have caused this much deflation.

3) Agreed. The mechanic told me it will damage the rim as well.

So, i think i will have to go for the claim :(. Maybe, i can go for a second mechanic opinion but will replace the damaged tyre with spare tyre atleast to take it to service centre for claim processing.
Old 6th April 2021, 17:13   #1008
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I took along with me one of the service mechanic from local MRF showroom and he told me that the object has gone deep into the tyre and it seems that it has damaged it. Hence, it is advisable to replace the tyre.
Sounds like a good sales pitch to sell you a new tire! Please get the object removed and judge for yourself or share the snap here so others can advise if it indeed warrants a tire replacement. Some holes can be sealed perfectly with the plug and it will work just fine.
Old 6th April 2021, 17:30   #1009

Quote:
he told me that the object has gone deep into the tyre and it seems that it has damaged it. Hence, it is advisable to replace the tyre.
Form the picture the item size / extent of damage is a bit difficult to judge. I would suggest get a second opinion from a trusted tyre guy and then decide on replacement / puncture fix. MRF guy mostly might be trying to sell his product.

Regarding claim (if the tyre can be replaced under claim), Please keep in mind you will incur claim charges of about 1000 Rs and lose No claim bonus at the time of renewal.
Old 6th April 2021, 18:14   #1010
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
1) I took along with me one of the service mechanic from local MRF showroom and he told me that the object has gone deep into the tyre and it seems that it has damaged it.
For now swap the tire with the spare, you can get a local tire shop guy to do this, they charge very less. If the spare is of the same size and brand, continue using that.

Now the the dark line through the middle of the sidewall suggests (in appearance) that you have driven quite some distance with a deflated tire. This is bad for the sidewall and can cause you problems later.

Take this damaged tire to the local tire shop, see if it can be fixed and used as an emergency spare, if not just buy another cheap tire of the same size to use as an emergency spare.
Old 6th April 2021, 18:48   #1011
naj
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkrkrish View Post
My new Sonet HTX imt, has been showing around 9.4km/l for first 100Kms in City traffic. Hope the FE improves once I take it for long ride, and the parts gets well lubricated!!.
My 17year old Santro is giving 14km/l in Banglore city traffic even today..
Hello jkrkrish,
Thats correct , City mileage for my HTX iMT is 9.5 to 10.5 Km/lit with full AC on and in Bumper to Bumper traffic.
Highway comes to 16 to 17 km/lit @ 90 kmph and with AC .

Found the ride and handling on highways to be quite good.

Thanks -
Old 6th April 2021, 20:35   #1012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
Sounds like a good sales pitch to sell you a new tire! Please get the object removed and judge for yourself or share the snap here so others can advise if it indeed warrants a tire replacement. Some holes can be sealed perfectly with the plug and it will work just fine.
First of all thanks to Gannu_1,Saitama and Kosfactor for your valuable advise. I also hope this post helps anyone like me who is a newbie and how you can be conned in this car world.

That guy was definitely trying to sell me a new tyre. I had almost initiated the claim process (did not want to buy a new), but then thought to take a second opinion where he would be replacing the spare tyre for me to go to the service center but then he suggested why are you not going for a NORMAL tubeless puncture?

I told him to take the tyre to his shop and let's see over there. In the end, he pulled that object out and it was a normal puncture. He fixed it within 5 minutes and told me the tyre is perfectly normal.

Saitama- As for the claim process i had KIA insurance sold by dealer (he did not budge), which includes tyre coverage with NCB protection, so i was safe with that.

Lesson learnt:
1) Don't panic
2) Always take a second opinion
3) The profit of these guys is huge in these spare part and aftermarket things. Always have someone by your side to guide you,in my case it was TEAM-BHP.

Attached Pics of the object and tyre during puncture process. Please let me know your views and if there is anything else i need to account for or to check and still you think i need to be careful with anything, i'm all ears.
Attached Thumbnails
Kia Sonet : Official Review-photo20210406203056-2.jpg  

Kia Sonet : Official Review-photo20210406203056.jpg  

Kia Sonet : Official Review-photo20210406203057-2.jpg  

Kia Sonet : Official Review-photo20210406203057.jpg  

nayan_ncr is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th April 2021, 13:20   #1013
BHPian

I was struggling for a month, with the sound/ beep coming from my Kia Sonet HTX imt, while locking /unlocking with remote. I will move some distance away from the Car, while doing this operation, so that the neighbors will not notice me!!!. Neither the Kia Epitome sales person had any answer to silence it.

During my first service, post one month, the service engineer told me the way. Lock, and then press the lock and unlock button together for more than 3 seconds, till the yellow indictor lights blink thrice. Now the sound alarm is disabled.

Repeat this again to enable the sound alarm.
Old 7th April 2021, 15:05   #1014
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkrkrish View Post
I was struggling for a month, with the sound/ beep coming from my Kia Sonet HTX imt, while locking /unlocking with remote. I will move some distance away from the Car, while doing this operation, so that the neighbors will not notice me!!!. Neither the Kia Epitome sales person had any answer to silence it.

During my first service, post one month, the service engineer told me the way. Lock, and then press the lock and unlock button together for more than 3 seconds, till the yellow indictor lights blink thrice. Now the sound alarm is disabled.

Repeat this again to enable the sound alarm.
Yup, this is there in this very thread mentioned and also in the manual! Always refer the manual before trying to go the mechanic! They always might not be knowing these things or would just not care to take the effort! Either ways please do refer the manual going forward. It’s annoying when such small things become a big deal.
Old 7th April 2021, 15:10   #1015
BHPian

This was my second drive to Goa in a couple of months, was enjoying the Sun sand and working remotely and this mishap happened!
Kia Sonet : Official Review-4ee6a0841c8b4c6897565a1610fac0fa.jpeg

Kia Sonet : Official Review-fb309f5d965d4a75970a2b022dabcdcf.jpeg

Kia Sonet : Official Review-17523389ff254a508ff7cea435e3d3ed.jpeg

It’s unfortunate that even after multiple rounds of protesting about the parking spot allotted to me the resort guys did not care and were sure that the coconuts would not fall! But it happened inevitably. Have been running around all over Bangalore to get this fixed by PDR but apparently none of them can! Have finally given it to the SC for bonnet repair, as replacement was complicated and rather had too many downsides. Estimates are around 15,000! Which I feel are very high for the job, but since I wanted to claim insurance I went ahead and submitted the claim and have dropped off the car.
bhansali_hardik is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th April 2021, 09:38   #1016
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhansali_hardik View Post
This was my second drive to Goa in a couple of months, was enjoying the Sun sand and working remotely and this mishap happened!
Attachment 2141969

Attachment 2141970

Attachment 2141971

It’s unfortunate that even after multiple rounds of protesting about the parking spot allotted to me the resort guys did not care and were sure that the coconuts would not fall! But it happened inevitably. Have been running around all over Bangalore to get this fixed by PDR but apparently none of them can! Have finally given it to the SC for bonnet repair, as replacement was complicated and rather had too many downsides. Estimates are around 15,000! Which I feel are very high for the job, but since I wanted to claim insurance I went ahead and submitted the claim and have dropped off the car.
Hello,

Unfortunate incident. Please try ‘Sai Colorium Multi-Brand Car Service’ once. I had my car back door dent removed from them. They did good job.

Address of the shop:

64/2, 5th cross, G M Garden, Sarakki Main Rd, Near Shobha Dew Flowers, 1st Phase, J. P. Nagar, Bengaluru, Karnataka 560078

Hope this will help.
Old 10th April 2021, 18:43   #1017
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajpr View Post
Hello,

Unfortunate incident. Please try ‘Sai Colorium Multi-Brand Car Service’ once. I had my car back door dent removed from them. They did good job.

Address of the shop:

64/2, 5th cross, G M Garden, Sarakki Main Rd, Near Shobha Dew Flowers, 1st Phase, J. P. Nagar, Bengaluru, Karnataka 560078

Hope this will help.
I guess you were late by a few days, just got back my car today from the dealership and I think they’ve done a decent job!
Attached Thumbnails
Kia Sonet : Official Review-d7f0c411cef4446fb95149e301046b06.jpeg  

Old 10th April 2021, 19:01   #1018
BHPian

Tyres can get punctured including new ones. When your tyre gets punctured, you get the puncture repaired. You don't buy a new tyre.

Always have a tyre inflator and check the pressure. Yours was a new car and the showrooms are notorious for keeping very high air pressure at delivery time
Old 10th April 2021, 19:17   #1019
BHPian

Quote:

Saitama- As for the claim process i had KIA insurance sold by dealer (he did not budge), which includes tyre coverage with NCB protection, so i was safe with that.
Under standard policy, tyre is covered in insurance if a car accident leads to tyre damage. Standard policy doesn't cover exclusive tyre damage not part of any accident. So for that you need special tyre coverage, however as far as I know tyre coverage doesn't cover any puncture repairs or even tyre replacement because of punctures. It covers tyre damage when it happens due to burst or impact, sidewall bulging and so on. So if you had opted for replacement under insurance it would have been rejected no matter how bad the puncture was because according to them you drove the car with the puncture which caused further damage to the tyres. In short, the policy covers damage due to an impact to tyres, not otherwise.

But you should check with the insurance folks if it would have really covered if tyre required replacement because of a heavy puncture because policies can wary. Also, some policies have a rule that the coverage ceases to exist after claiming once.

Toyota also has tyre coverage and after learning about terms and conditions with the insurance guy, I opted out of it as he was clear that it covers very 'specific' types of damages to the tyre. The dealer had no issue and in all honesty they don't have any right to force it upon us. If you had escalated the issue when the dealer was forcing you, he would have backed out. Some sales folks get into unethical practices to make a sale.
Technic90 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th April 2021, 21:46   #1020
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhansali_hardik View Post
I guess you were late by a few days, just got back my car today from the dealership and I think they’ve done a decent job!
I agree. Happy and safe driving.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks