Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st March 2022, 21:25   #1456
BHPian

Re: Kia Sonet : Official Review

Hi guys, Took delivery of my Kia Sonet HTX IMT yesterday. Initially started with Hyundai I20 Asta IVT and ended up buying Sonet. Will share my experience soon. Here are couple of pictures.

The black beauty

Kia Sonet : Official Review-20220201_140223.jpg

Kia Sonet : Official Review-20220201_140054.jpg

My Hexa also in the frame. Look at the size difference.
Attached Thumbnails
Kia Sonet : Official Review-20220201_125241.jpg  

HappyRoadie is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2022, 23:21   #1457

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mainali View Post
There are few rumble strips in between my house and the airport, what I have observed recently is the car looses the balance when you go over them even at really lower speeds in the range of 50 KMPH. I can feel that the tyres are swerving in some directions, from the steering feedback, its mostly towards the right.
I have a Sonet GTX+ 7DCT, and yes this happens to me too at moderate speeds. I remember reading a similar point raised in a thread about the new Thar, and was deduced to be due to the differential.

I have since assumed it's a common occurrence and every driver/car faces it. I just be more careful on rumbles. This effect is a little more consistent and pronounced at a rumble that's near a turn, where the wheel is also approaching at an angle.

Now I think I want to research more on it and see if it's actually an issue, and hear what other bhpians have to say.
Old 7th March 2022, 09:20   #1458
BHPian

Hi All

Had a question on the LED Headlights

How is the performance from the LED Headlights on highways?
Is the throw and brightness good enough?
Anyone had a chance to drive in the rains extensively?

Regards
Old 7th March 2022, 10:04   #1459
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chandrda View Post
Hi All

Had a question on the LED Headlights

Regards
The headlights are excellent on the highway, good throw and spread. My comparison is with Osram night breaker halogen on my old Punto.

I haven't driven in the rain, general opinion seems to be that they're inadequate.
Old 9th March 2022, 20:37   #1460
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chandrda View Post
Regards
I purchased my car during a thunderstorm.

Nothing beats yellow light. However on black tarmac the brightness is adequate. On cemented roads, it's a bit tricky due to the grey surface. In rains, the light reflects back a bit

Would've loved projectors instead of LEDs to be honest.
jasjotbains is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th March 2022, 01:45   #1461
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasjotbains View Post
I purchased my car during a thunderstorm.

Nothing beats yellow light. However on black tarmac the brightness is adequate. On cemented roads, it's a bit tricky due to the grey surface. In rains, the light reflects back a bit

Would've loved projectors instead of LEDs to be honest.
Any way to swap the LED headlights with the projectors from lower models or are the connectors different ?
Old 10th March 2022, 08:34   #1462
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortis View Post
Any way to swap the LED headlights with the projectors from lower models or are the connectors different ?
I am not sure about the technicalities but if you can get aftermarket projectors for the fog lamps (the projectors on the Sonet are inadequate), it should solve your purpose
jasjotbains is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th March 2022, 12:41   #1463
BHPian

Hey Guys,

Planning to replace my ecosport, shortlisted tata nexon & kia sonet. Budget is 8-10 lacs on road. 90% city driving.

Could you guys help out with sonet usage experience, and help me decide between these two.

On the variant front, 1 lac+ price diff. justified for HTK, or buy HTE and install music system.

THanks For the help. P.s posting this on nexon forum as well.
switz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th March 2022, 15:35   #1464
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by switz View Post
Hey Guys,

Planning to replace my ecosport, shortlisted tata nexon & kia sonet. Budget is 8-10 lacs on road. 90% city driving.

Could you guys help out with sonet usage experience, and help me decide between these two.

On the variant front, 1 lac+ price diff. justified for HTK, or buy HTE and install music system.

THanks For the help. P.s posting this on nexon forum as well.
Just to get the obvious fact out of the way, the sonet is physically a smaller vehicle outside and more importantly inside. Normally family members tend to frown on such downsizing

Of the two the nexon is the larger vehicle if that’s a consideration.

In terms of usage, the sonet is quite a capable machine. I run the diesel automatic and it’s well suited for city traffic. It’s compact, powerful and easy to park and returns 13 km per liter of diesel.

Where the sonet is even more capable is on the highway. Road manners are good, overtakes are easy and the vehicle is a stress free experience. Highway mileage is reputedly in the range of 18 if you drive it sensibly. If you don’t you will get a mileage of 14.5 like me - but you will wind up shattering any previous records that you held for interstate transits!

All the best with your choice!
sassid is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 10th March 2022, 15:46   #1465
BHPian

Yes space is important, family does frown Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sassid View Post
Just to get the obvious fact out of the way, the sonet is physically a smaller vehicle outside and more importantly inside. Normally family members tend to frown on such downsizing

Of the two the nexon is the larger vehicle if that’s a consideration.

In terms of usage, the sonet is quite a capable machine. I run the diesel automatic and it’s well suited for city traffic. It’s compact, powerful and easy to park and returns 13 km per liter of diesel.

Where the sonet is even more capable is on the highway. Road manners are good, overtakes are easy and the vehicle is a stress free experience. Highway mileage is reputedly in the range of 18 if you drive it sensibly. If you don’t you will get a mileage of 14.5 like me - but you will wind up shattering any previous records that you held for interstate transits!

All the best with your choice!
switz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th March 2022, 21:57   #1466
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by switz View Post
Hey Guys,

I was in the same situation as you but after driving the diesel TC, i couldn't convince myself for an AMT. Both are capable cars and Sonet is pretty good enough for City runs.l will recommend that you test drive both these highly competent vehicles and then decide which one floats your boat.

Or go with the Sonet
Old 15th March 2022, 10:53   #1467
BHPian

I need a little help from the owners of the Kia Sonet Diesel Automatic on this forum.

I got my Kia Sonet Diesel Automatic GTX Plus a couple of days ago. I have driven it approximately 250KM so far. Yesterday, I noticed a strange thing.

My car was in a standstill position at a traffic signal and when the traffic started moving, I lifted my foot from the brake and pressed the accelerator pedal gently. When I did that, I noticed a jerk.

This is what I felt - as soon as I lifted my foot from the brake and pressed the accelerator pedal, the car moved forward a little bit and then engine RPM dropped a little bit and the car took a second (more like paused) and then started moving forward again. This is the kind of thing you feel when a gear changes, I think. I have been experiencing the same thing each time I accelerate the vehicle from standstill by lifting my foot from the brake pedal and pressing the accelerator pedal. The jerk is not harsh at all. The thing is why is there a dip in the RPM and why is the car taking a second in between to respond?

However, if I just lift my foot from the brake pedal and don’t press the accelerator immediately (say I press it 1-2 seconds after the car starts moving) then there is no jerk at all. Are you all experiencing the same thing? Or is it just me? Can someone please try the two scenarios and let me know if this is a common thing or is it just related to my car? I’m going kinda crazy thinking about this issue. I would really appreciate your help.
Old 16th March 2022, 17:25   #1468
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avira_tk View Post
I haven't driven in the rain, general opinion seems to be that they're inadequate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasjotbains View Post
In rains, the light reflects back a bit.
As per dealer I might get my HTX D AT at the end of this month or early April. Headlight has become a worry now as I love night driving and do a lot of night driving.

I travel to Coorg regularly and mostly leave at around 7-8 PM after office and reach around 2 AM. So thick fog and rain is regular affair.

Drove a friends SONET with LED headlights. I wasn't fully convinced about the LED headlight performance on highways and has put a doubt in my mind

I love a normal halogen H4 setup with 100/90 Relay. Projectors as well does its job well, but not convinced with All LED lights at all. There is no scope for after market and I am not sure if HTE halogen headlight fits on HTX easily.

Regards
chandrda is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th March 2022, 09:47   #1469
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbidIqbalShaik View Post
My car was in a standstill position at a traffic signal and when the traffic started moving, I lifted my foot from the brake and pressed the accelerator pedal gently. When I did that, I noticed a jerk.
I do not own one, but I did two test drives of Sonet Diesel AT from different dealers, and noticed this on both the vehicles. However, I remember noticing this when the vehicle was in motion. While driving, leave the accelerator, after a pause, engage the accelerator again, there is a very brief pause, then a very mild jerk (as if the gear got engaged), before the actual effect of acceleration. The jerk, even though mild, was definitely noticeable, but livable. I did not give it much consideration in the first test drive, but the second one confirmed that it was probably a characteristic of the car, rather than an issue. Could you please check if there is a similar behavior when the vehicle is in motion?
morphique is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th March 2022, 00:17   #1470
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbidIqbalShaik View Post
I need a little help from the owners of the Kia Sonet Diesel Automatic on this forum.
Hi. I too have a GTX DAT. I tried to recreate your scenario however without luck.

Here's my 2 cents. I've noticed this dip when I:
1. Am accelerating and gear shift happen. There is a a dip in RPM and the car jerks for a moment.
2. When I lift my foot off the accelerator and car is coasting and then I press the accelerator again.

I believe you'll get used to the shifts given the relative less time spent with your car. Being a TC, response time is good but not equivalent to say, a DCT.
jasjotbains is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks