Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th September 2020, 23:14   #181
Senior - BHPian

re: Kia Sonet : Official Review

Not surprised on why some are disappointed with the pricing. It was a given that the pricing of Sonet would have been in the same ballpark as its Hyundai cousin Venue.

The top variants of Venue were never VFM to begin with, the top variants of Sonet could never have been VFM no matter even if it's loaded to the gill. At the end of day it is a sub 4m car.

In fact, I would stretch my neck out and say that none of the (pseudo) CSUV's are worth anything above Rs.10-11L OTR. As already iterated by others, anything beyond Rs.11L OTR , then it's better to look at the mid variants of cars from the next segment (Seltos, Creta) as they strike the right balance of useful features, space and price.

Last edited by jetsetgo08 : 18th September 2020 at 23:16.
jetsetgo08 is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 18th September 2020, 23:28   #182
BHPian

Does the htk plus Diesel Automatic have Sports mode?
Old 19th September 2020, 03:19   #183
BHPian

I was looking at the sunroof model comparison and I believe Venue Turbo Sunroof MT costs 11 Lakh OTR while Sonet Turbo HTX Plus with Sunroof costs north of 13 Lakh OTR in Gurgaon. Unsure if there is a cheaper model with sunroof for either.

Is Hyundai focusing on sunroof buyers with cheaper price? I believe Creta Panaromic Sunroof model costs 15L OTR as well while Seltos does not have this feature (I think?).
Old 19th September 2020, 05:28   #184
BHPian

Has anyone driven the Diesel Manual? How does it perform against the Diesel auto considering it gets a lower state of tune?
Old 19th September 2020, 07:57   #185

Have taken Sonet of my list now.. was looking for GT auto , looks like it will be 15 lacs in road.
Ecosport T+ DC Automatic looks VFM and gives all features I really need like Rain sensing wipers 👍
Attached price list for Chennai on road
Attached Thumbnails
Kia Sonet : Official Review-93602f11276c41e7bd92c15d44f79b58.jpeg  

MaheshBapurao is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 19th September 2020, 08:55   #186
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
Wireless AA and Apple Car Play is indeed there in the top end.
Hello Sebring, Can you confirm which specific variant are you referring here when you say top end? As per the brochure, Wireless AA and Apple car play is available only in the variants that has 8" touch screen and not in 10.25". Thanks.

For people looking for Bangalore prices, here it is
Attached Thumbnails
Kia Sonet : Official Review-screenshot_20200919085856_whatsapp.jpg  

Last edited by Bibendum90949 : 19th September 2020 at 08:59.
Old 19th September 2020, 09:11   #187
Senior - BHPian

Wonder if anyone can answer this one (since there are no long test drives thus far) - the terrain/traction control on the top variant (snow/mud/sand) - is it just a marketing gimmick, something purely ornamental or is it a feature that really works? I ask since this is not a 4WD or AWD.
Old 19th September 2020, 09:17   #188
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilful View Post
Wonder if anyone can answer this one (since there are no long test drives thus far) - the terrain/traction control on the top variant (snow/mud/sand) - is it just a marketing gimmick, something purely ornamental or is it a feature that really works? I ask since this is not a 4WD or AWD.
Well it is not just a marketing gimmick and can help get you out of tricky situations. Imagine you are stuck in a place where there is mud in a traditional fwd vehicle. In this if one wheel loses grip, the wheel will keep on spinning freely and the other wheel will not get any power at all and you will be stuck. In case of a vehicle with electronic grip control, the vehicle in this condition would brake the wheel automatically and allow the power to get transferred to the other wheel (on front axle only), hence pulling you out of that situation.
Same would be the case for sand and snow modes. It is helpful for slippery situations, but not comparable to a true Awd or 4x4.
When the Hexa 4x2 was launched they demonstrated the capabilities of their terrain management system by taking it through sand and mud in many videos. You can check those out too.
This is one such video testing the drive control system (though hexa is a Rwd vehicle, concept is the same)

Last edited by Behemoth : 19th September 2020 at 09:25.
Behemoth is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 19th September 2020, 09:35   #189
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
Well it is not just a marketing gimmick and can help get you out of tricky situations.
This is one such video testing the drive control system (though hexa is a Rwd vehicle, concept is the same)
https://Youtu.be/fB4uwsPvKM4
Thank you - it then is indeed a pretty useful feature to have I guess. Just watched that video as well.
Old 19th September 2020, 09:47   #190
BHPian

Am I really out of touch with current pricing and new scams run by dealers?

The computation of on road price seems crazy in many ways in Blr. What is statutory charges, any idea?
Old 19th September 2020, 09:57   #191
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
When the Hexa 4x2 was launched they demonstrated the capabilities of their terrain management system by taking it through sand and mud in many videos. You can check those out too.
Not exactly. Hexa has a mechanical limited slip rear differential, an LSD. It basically locks the diff up whenever a certain threshold of slip is reached. This is a proven, time tested system that hugely adds to the capability of any vehicle.

What the Sonet, Creta and Harrier have in the name of terrain modes is an advanced ESP. Any actual benefit offered by such systems on simple open diff front wheel drive cars is hugely debatable. Consider them marketing gimmicks. You will get much better traction over loose surfaces by simply switching to all terrain tires. Rest assured, Sonet is an urban use vehicle and is not meant to do any kind of off roaring. Try at your own risk.

Last edited by Shreyans_Jain : 19th September 2020 at 09:59.
Shreyans_Jain is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th September 2020, 10:03   #192
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyans_Jain View Post
Consider them marketing gimmicks. You will get much better traction over loose surfaces by simply switching to all terrain tires. Rest assured, Sonet is an urban use vehicle and is not meant to do any kind of off roaring. Try at your own risk.
So completely useless then??
Old 19th September 2020, 10:07   #193
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vellatechie View Post
I was looking at the sunroof model comparison and I believe Venue Turbo Sunroof MT costs 11 Lakh OTR while Sonet Turbo HTX Plus with Sunroof costs north of 13 Lakh OTR in Gurgaon. Unsure if there is a cheaper model with sunroof for either.

Is Hyundai focusing on sunroof buyers with cheaper price? I believe Creta Panaromic Sunroof model costs 15L OTR as well while Seltos does not have this feature (I think?).
Sunroof in Sonet starts from HTX onwards which in Delhi retails at 11.2 L on road, must be similarly priced for gurgaon. If not having alloy wheels doesnt concern you then you can go for this variant as it has IMT but misses out on alloys. Venue SX is more VFM i feel.
Old 19th September 2020, 10:24   #194
BHPian

We all know that the sub 4 meter segment is supposed to offer tax benefits and this is what makes compact sedans much cheaper/VFM compared to the full sized sedans. A good example is Amaze which I feel offers 80% of what City has to offer but at 60% of the price (I understand that this might be a subjective opinion). What I am curious to know is if Sonet (specifically diesel) enjoys any tax benefits when compared with Seltos or its value proposition is simply 80% of Seltos at 80% of the price.
Old 19th September 2020, 10:25   #195
Senior - BHPian

Not surprised at the pricing at all. Even Venue had similar pricing for its time. Lower models with the aneamic 1.2L usually gets a low sticker price to pull customers but the models which are marketed for features have all been more than a million bucks ex-showroom. I wish instead of bling features in lower models basic functional features like rear wash/wipe were provided. For example HTX gets a sunroof but no rear wash-wipe

For states like WB where 10+ ex-showroom doesn't lead to higher tax it's still ok, but in Bangalore it leads to substantially higher costs. DCT and diesel AT starts from 13+ OTR in Bangalore.

Kia Sonet : Official Review-screenshot_202009191024052.png

I guess the diesel AT is best VFM for the powerful engine and reliable TC box.

Last edited by SoumenD : 19th September 2020 at 10:31.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks