Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th September 2020, 10:40   #196
BHPian

re: Kia Sonet : Official Review

This kind of pricing is really horrible for what is, essentially, a small car. What is even more terrible is that it will be a block buster. We Indians were known to be value conscious at one time. Now, I think we are bling conscious. This kind of pricing is proof that even if the government reduces GST on cars, the manufacturers will pocket the money and we will keep paying the same price anyway.
ashlil is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 19th September 2020, 10:45   #197
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilful View Post
So completely useless then??
I believe such systems do more harm than good by giving users a false sense of ability which actually doesn’t exist. Any simple part time 4x4 like Duster AWD will be far more capable off road. No fancy modes needed.
Shreyans_Jain is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th September 2020, 10:53   #198
Senior - BHPian

As I understand the HTK+ diesel AT does not have driving modes like GTX+. As per reviews the modes in GTX- Eco has power of around 95bhp, Normal is around 105bhp and Sport is the full 113 bhp. Now if HTK+ does not have these modes does that means it drives with full 113bhp all the time i.e the sport mode. Am I correct in assuming this?
harry10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th September 2020, 11:14   #199
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
As I understand the HTK+ diesel AT does not have driving modes like GTX+. As per reviews the modes in GTX- Eco has power of around 95bhp, Normal is around 105bhp and Sport is the full 113 bhp. Now if HTK+ does not have these modes does that means it drives with full 113bhp all the time i.e the sport mode. Am I correct in assuming this?
Absolutely not, it'll be capped at 99bhp! They wouldn't want you to get best bang for your buck. Would they?
Old 19th September 2020, 11:29   #200
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedfreak01 View Post
Venue SX is more VFM i feel.
Sonet is much more VFM than Venue SX in the HTX trim because of the following:-
  • Led Headlamps
  • Semi Leatherette Seats
  • Push Button Start
  • Chrome Door Handles
  • Flat Bottom Steering Wheel
  • UVO Connect
  • Adjustable Rear Headrests
  • Wireless Android Auto & Apple CarPlay

The only thing Sonet loses out on is alloy wheels which can be easily fitted in the after market but it gains a lot in terms of features which cannot be fitted aftermarket.

I think the LED Headlamps itself are more expensive than the alloy wheels so everything else is extra what you are getting.

Last edited by sv97 : 19th September 2020 at 11:52.
sv97 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th September 2020, 11:40   #201
Senior - BHPian

That screen in the pic is the car I took the TD in, and that's the 10.25 screen. SA told to come on Monday for a demo of the wireless AA and Apple Car Play. There must be some confusion. Why will Kia have a feature, till now reserved for top marquees, on the 8 inch? Beats me
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibendum90949 View Post
Can you confirm which specific variant are you referring here when you say top end? As per the brochure, Wireless AA and Apple car play is available only in the variants that has 8" touch screen and not in 10.25"
Sebring is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th September 2020, 11:43   #202
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
Now if HTK+ does not have these modes does that means it drives with full 113bhp all the time i.e the sport mode. Am I correct in assuming this?
The modes in GTX+ just alter the throttle response and shift rpm zone based on the selected mode (just makes it easier to drive inside city limits during traffic etc). In the absense of this in HTK+, my assumption is that it would behave like it's in Sport mode all the time.

One thing I have noticed is that HTK+ seems to have most of the features that people would usually want (talking about rear seat experience: rear ac vents and usb charging point) but KIA has cut corners in some weird places. For example, HTK+ has fixed grab handles that don't fold flat to the roof line whereas from HTX onwards it has the usual spring loaded grab handles.
JithinR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th September 2020, 12:13   #203
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JithinR View Post
The modes in GTX+ just alter the throttle response and shift rpm zone based on the selected mode (just makes it easier to drive inside city limits during traffic etc). In the absense of this in HTK+, my assumption is that it would behave like it's in Sport mode all the time.
Precisely what I thought. I believe this is extremely stupid from KIA. Nexon gives the drive modes in all automatic variants. First they launch AT in only the mid and top variant (Kudos to Tata as Nexon has AMT in all variants from XM onwards). Then they decide not to give drive modes in HTK+. For someone like me who drives 80-100 km in NCR traffic the eco or normal mode is perfect considering the better FE it will give. I don't think I would have even put it in sports mode except for highways. GTX+ with touching 15lac on road simply isn't worth it( I don't need a sunroof and more bling features). HTX would have been perfect for me but that has no AT. So, I am stuck with HTK+ variant.

To be honest the only reason I am considering Sonet is because of the TC gearbox. Otherwise my first choice will always be Nexon. Looks are subjective so keeping that aside Nexon feels roomier and has lots of more interior space, the NCAP safety rating and Tata is the devil I know rather than KIA who is a newbie here. If only they had given a TC rather than an AMT(which isn't too bad, I had driven diesel bs4 amt before bs6 kicked on) it would have been a no brainer. Also, I can always get an excellent deal on Nexon where as in Sonet I don't think I will even get a single rupee discount.

By the way I haven't TD Sonet yet. So, let's see how that goes before I finally make up my mind. There is also the Amaze CVT diesel at the back of my mind. Only if it looked and feel as good as these two decision would have been easier

Last edited by harry10 : 19th September 2020 at 12:20.
harry10 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 19th September 2020, 12:41   #204
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandatrooper View Post
The Safety Features is the sole reason I'm looking into just the GTX+ trim. In my opinion, its an absolute shame that the Koreans are not emphasizing on safety across all the trims. Over the years, increasing number of citizens [including me] are now considering safety as one of their primary criteria while purchasing a vehicle. Given the exponentially rising audience that Kia is catering to lately, they can pretty easily set a trend for safety and flaunt it as as their USP just like Tatas and the Mahindras are trying to do with NCAP ratings etc.
Fully agree. Safety features must be provided on all variants. The high end variants should only provide more luxury features. It would appear that Kia is trying the hawker mentality in selling their cars.
Last year, a Boeing 737-Max of Ethiopian airlines had crashed; killing all on board. The same variant of aircraft had also crashed in Indonesia an year earlier. According to Boeing, the high end variant of the aircraft did provide special safety features which could have prevented the accident. However those safety features came at additional cost. What a shame.
If two airbags and ABS were not mandatory in India, Kia would have probably come with a further cheaper variant of SELTOS and SONET. Poorer people also have the right to be safe in a car.
TS Rawat is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th September 2020, 12:54   #205
Team-BHP Support

People shocked with the pricing should get back in sync with the times by comparing it to the simple Vitara Brezza, which is priced from 7.34 lakhs to 11.4 lakhs.

And it has -
No option of 6 airbags
No sunroof
No DCT
No diesel option, forget diesel AT
No premium audio
No connected car tech.

What it gets it's an average 1.5 petrol with a 4 speed torque converter. With such pricing being the segment benchmark - I don't see any reason to expect prices below what has been announced now! This is the new reality.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (26) Thanks
Old 19th September 2020, 13:00   #206
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
So one is tempted to cancel a Seltos booking in a mid variant and buy Sonet with all the safety kits and bells and whistles and save 1.2 lakhs.
Summarized very well and I think this is what we will see as well once the sales start rolling. The Sonet will cannibalize the Seltos and its cousin the Venue.

Quote:
Sonet is certainly a great VFM product with Ford Eco Sport the only contender to give a fight with its AT petrol. The likes of Brezza are surely looking down the barrel, I don't see it's soon to be launched avatar with the T badge standing any chance either against Sonet.
This part I will disagree. The Ecosport and the XUV 300 seems to be clocking their own undisturbed numbers like a niche following - I do not see much of a number change due to the Sonet at all.

The Brezza in fact held its forte very well against the Venue and the lack of Diesel engine post Apr 2020 seems to be what has hit Brezza hard.

Name:  CrossoverSub4MGraph.png
Views: 4619
Size:  156.9 KB
Last 12 Months - Graph

If we notice in the graph, there seems to be a jump in Nexon sales and Nexon has started to cross 5000 in sales post BS VI which means some of the the Brezza crowd wanting Diesel has shifted to Nexon and some to Venue.

With the entry of Sonet, this will even out the numbers even more amongst these cars (Brezza/Venue/Sonet/Nexon). Of course, the initial 3 months Sonet may clock some huge numbers, but once that hype settles it will end up with evening out of numbers.

Kia Sonet : Official Review-crossoversub4m.png
Last 12 Months

The main thing Maruti needs to regret here is the lack of Diesel engine more than anything else and I want to tell Maruti on this aspect "Calculate Kia Kya"?

Last edited by vsrivatsa : 19th September 2020 at 13:01.
vsrivatsa is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 19th September 2020, 13:41   #207
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taruns_Hah View Post
You are definitely not the only one, my friend! I can't believe that a sub 4 mtr car from a non - premium brand with only a year's reputation is going to cost 16 - 17 lacs on road.

I m in the market for a car in this range and inspite of everything, I don't see any VFM in this or any comparable product. Somehow, no wow factor after spending 16 - 17 lacs.
It's a very troubling conundrum, isn't it? Pay 16L-17L for the top end auto diesel and still not get everything. Either get good passenger space and robust build quality but AMT box and only 2 airbags (OR) get lesser passenger space and unknown build quality but TC box, 6 airbags and loads of gizmos..

Never easy! Someone who wants a diesel compact SUV space, 6 airbags and a TC box, along with some premium features is pushed to look at the Creta/ Seltos top variant at 21.xL. A 4-5L premium for just proper passenger space.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stribog View Post
Which is why I was baffled when they launched the Seltos in the 115 HP tune (when the previous gen Creta was 129 HP) and now the same engine in the Venue + Sonet twins.

There is no engine differentiation in a car range spanning from 8l otr to 20l otr.

This problem will be solved if Kia sold the 1.6l diesel or the 1.6 petrol which has 135 horse tune.

Even if meant a slightly higher price there will be a clear distinction and the question of cannibalization wont happen
A Diesel Seltos with 135bhp sounds very interesting. It will push the prices further up, but at least get proper engine specs. It's 2020 and we're still dabbling with 108-110 bhp in India for a compact SUV.

Clear distinction is helpful and important. Buyers are also well satisfied of getting what they pay for (the right engine, gearbox, body shell).

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFS2024 View Post
I was looking at the HTX Plus iMT and it's 14+ Lacs in Chennai itself. Wonder what it will be in Bangalore. A bit over priced than what I was hoping for.
1.5 Diesel Auto GTX+ pricing in Bengaluru will indeed be worrisome. Expecting it to touch or breach 17L [compared to Nexon XTA+ (O)]. Thanks to Bengaluru taxes. Much of the segment options of mini/ compact SUVs is very pricey.
I guess we should buy some rover vehicle only, which may not be taxed i suppose, assuming the fit for purpose clause on Bengaluru roads.
k_ajay is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 19th September 2020, 13:42   #208
BHPian

Here's the list of Hyderabad prices.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf SONET - Nagole Price list 18th Sep'20.pdf (187.9 KB, 744 views)
Old 19th September 2020, 14:06   #209
BHPian

Good pricing by Kia, 10.39 for Diesel AT is killer, no competition at this point, few models at 9.99, Govt should wake up and support the auto industry around 40% Tax is an overkill.
sharan_si is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th September 2020, 14:32   #210
BHPian

The only reason why there is no wireless AA or Apple car play in the higher variant is simple. It's a different HU and has UVO inbuilt gps and other stuff already baked in. They probably cannot work out a bigger wireless projection and still make it compatible with existing set of kia/UVO features.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks