Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th September 2020, 07:18   #361
Senior - BHPian

re: Kia Sonet : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
[/list]
Interested in your view on the pricing especially of the GT DCT? I understand it costs around 15.5 lacs on road in Kerala ? Justified or not?
Old 26th September 2020, 09:29   #362
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilful View Post
Interested in your view on the pricing especially of the GT DCT? I understand it costs around 15.5 lacs on road in Kerala ? Justified or not?
I feel these questions will only increase further as direct-injection turbo petrols become common across manufacturer lineups. Diesels didn't get expensive as Maruti shouted out from rooftops, but good petrol motors are getting there!

Mentioned earlier here, I'm ok to pay the 88k ex-showroom premium for the fantastic TGDi petrol motor. Have driven the 1.0 TGDi in the Venue and Aura and its a very nice motor worth the premium over the 1.2 Kappa (which I also happen to own). However, I'm not willing to pay the 1.16L ex-showroom premium Kia is asking for the DCT transmission.

If I ever do pick a Sonet, there are a LOT of reasons for me to not even think of the 7DCT, over the diesel 6AT -
  • Suspicions on the dry clutch reliability (Thanks to VW).
  • Not a good impression on durability of Hyundai - Kia cars. Torque converter is a lot older and tested tech.
  • Heavy usage. Will be looking at replacing a 194k kms run Punto MJD.
  • Except for the lockdown period - I never shied away from weekend drives, so not worried about DPF regen requirements.
  • I still have my doubts on diesel dying with BS6 or 2022 CAFE norms.

MT and 6AT options could have made the 1.0 TGDi a more convincing option, but with the iMT (yet to drive one) and DCT - its the Diesel 6AT without a question.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 26th September 2020 at 09:32.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 26th September 2020, 09:54   #363
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFS2024 View Post
As far as I know, the lower variants of the Sonet iMT does not have HAC.
It is only the GTX+ variant that has ESC, HAC and VSM. Correct me if am wrong.
True. Only GTX+ and HTK+DCT has these safety features. As per the info available on the internet, while HAC is not really a life saving safety feature, but ESC and VSM are.

You may recall that a few months back, gangster Vikas Dubey was killed in an encounter when he tried to flee after the UP Police vehicle overturned. Perhaps, if the vehicle had ESC, the gangster may have been alive.

For me, the only variant to chose in Kia SONET is GTX+.
Old 26th September 2020, 09:57   #364
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
MT and 6AT options could have made the 1.0 TGDi a more convincing option, but with the iMT (yet to drive one) and DCT - its the Diesel 6AT without a question.
Thanks very much for your detailed thoughts (that mirror mine too). Yes that 1.16 L premium is a bit of a steep ask. I had briefly toyed with the idea of looking at one but have virtually discarded it now.
wilful is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th September 2020, 12:21   #365
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFS2024 View Post
I dont think so. It is clearly mentioned as 7DCT version only. I have seen the brochure and the HAC is not mentioned for any other variant.
The way the feature list is mentioned in the brochure leads to confusion. They should have had a different header that says " For 7 DCT Only " instead of using a bracket. After reading the last line and the way it's indicated in the brochure(shown below), one gets the impression that except for multi mode drives and traction control rest of the features are available in non DCT variants too. It was too good to be true to be having all these in HTK+ though. The placing of the bracket leads to the confusion. So all the features listed in the last line are applicable only for DCT. Hope I'm correct this time around and sorry for any confusion my earlier posts may have created.

Kia Sonet : Official Review-screenshot_20200926115947_whatsapp.jpg
Kia Sonet : Official Review-screenshot_20200926123144_drive.jpg

How I wish Kia had listed all the features like what Hyundai has done with the Venue brochure as shown below. It makes comparison of variants a breeze. With Kia, one has to go back and forth between lines to do the same. With such a wide array of engine and transmission options besides the trims available, the feature lists in the Kia brochure(shown just above) is all mussiness. It appears more like a technical document. No one wants to experience their power to surprise in their brochures. Their websites aren't any better either.
Kia Sonet : Official Review-screenshot_20200926121253_drive.jpg

Last edited by Bibendum90949 : 26th September 2020 at 12:38.
Bibendum90949 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th September 2020, 13:35   #366
BHPian

Between the HTK+ vs GTX 6AT Diesel, what are the differences in terms of power output? I know that the different modes like Eco, Sport wont be available in the HTK+ trim. Does that mean HTK+ 6AT will always output 113bhp or will it be capped to 99bhp. Any reviews out yet for HTK+ Diesel AT?
Old 26th September 2020, 14:08   #367
RSR
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountMe91 View Post

Does that mean HTK+ 6AT will always output 113bhp or will it be capped to 99bhp.
Since there are no restrictive modes (Eco & Normal) on the HTK+, there is no capping of the output, either.

The output is the full 115 PS in the only mode available on the HTK+ 6AT.

Last edited by RSR : 26th September 2020 at 14:32.
RSR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th September 2020, 16:08   #368
Senior - BHPian

Just received the Bangalore price list from Naara Kia JP Nagar. Attaching the same.

I'm really interested to know what is the accessory pack mentioned in the price list and why is it priced at Rs. 20,000? . Most cars in this general price range offer this at around 5-6 thousand or thereabouts. Any clue what this is other than the ubiquitous mud flaps and floor mats ?
Attached Files
File Type: pdf PRICELIST_NAARA_SONET - NewFINAL.pdf (671.8 KB, 758 views)

Last edited by arindambasu13 : 26th September 2020 at 16:09.
arindambasu13 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th September 2020, 16:15   #369
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arindambasu13 View Post
Just received the Bangalore price list from Naara Kia JP Nagar. Attaching the same.

I'm really interested to know what is the accessory pack mentioned in the price list and why is it priced at Rs. 20,000? . Most cars in this general price range offer this at around 5-6 thousand or thereabouts. Any clue what this is other than the ubiquitous mud flaps and floor mats ?
This package among other things, consists of chrome package like door handles, side strips etc. Not mandatory to buy the entire package, you can pick and choose.
Old 26th September 2020, 18:54   #370
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arindambasu13 View Post

Its a collection of some useful and some not so useful/tasteful accessories.
Refer this link, you can pick and choose from the ones listed here

https://www.kia.com/in/service/kia-o...es.html#page=1
Speedshift is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th September 2020, 22:33   #371
Senior - BHPian

Finally I made time to check out the Sonet and as chance would have it, got time to see the Sonet twice, in 2 different showrooms.

Seeing it for the first time in Advaith Kia on Lalbagh road (bangalore), I was surely taken aback by the size of the Sonet. It definitely appears larger in-person, than seeing it on any photo or video (online or tv). Has an imposing presence (specially when viewed head-on). As some members have earlier pointed out, the compactness of this small SUV can only be realised when seen from the side and back (due to sloping design at the rear). That, it is almost as tall/ imposing as the Seltos, is an advantage for the Sonet.

Interiors are premium for the class and finished to the same quality as Seltos. The art leathers, where applied, are nice to the touch and seemingly feel like they will last. Top of the dashboard has a nice, scratch-y textured surface, feels good when touched. That 10.25" screen is nice and big. Navigation on this will be a breeze and more enjoyable than on any 6" mobile phone.

One feature i absolutely have come to love (and find a lot of meaning in, of its purpose in Bangalore) is the 'ventilated cool seats'. Just very glad that the Sonet also has this, as does Seltos. I'm between 5"8 - 5"9 and a very heavy build. Both front seats felt comfortable and I didn't need long to find my ideal seating position. But in this position, the arm rest wasn't entirely usable for the driver.

Rear seating, width wise, is good to (very) comfortably seat 2 overtly healthy adults, no issue. Or 2 medium built adults with a child in the middle (pre-teens ideal). 3 adults will be an incredibly tight fit and passengers will definitely rub more than shoulders. Leg space (knee to front seats) is ample and very comfortable for anyone 5"8/9 and below, with front driver and passenger seats set to accommodate an adult of 5"8/9 height. Beyond 5"9 and up to 5"11 (just a guess), passengers can still sit with the knees not touching the front seats, but that comfortable and relaxed legs position may not be feasible.

Boot space looks fairly big and accommodating for the class, should surely cover the ~upto 2-3 weeks worth luggage for 3-4 people (not multiples of the 120 litres 30kgs large suitcases, I'm guessing creatively a max of 2 such could be made to fit into the boot). A large suitcase and few duffle bags, backpacks also should go in, easy. No rear seat 60:40 split. Yeah, could be a significant feature missed, but how many times have we used that really, to dismiss an otherwise overall good vehicle.

Overall, a sufficiently compact and capable SUV for a family of 3-4 adults (5'9" and below) and a kid.. Ground clearance is also an ample 205mm, sufficient to drift off the tarmac road once in a while; waltz over the bumper breaking speed breakers. Unless more rear width space and leg knee space is really required, I see a huge savings of nearly 5 lakhs INR when comparing a Sonet 1.5 D GTX+ automatic to a Seltos 1.5 D GTX+ automatic.

Price list from 2 different dealers, below. (Advaith and JSP), there is a slight difference in price (few thousands). With my experience today in both these showrooms, if I were to buy a Kia Sonet, it will definitely be from Advaith Kia, Lalbahg (very pleasant and positive experience there). Did Not take a test drive as I was just checking the vehicle out (I usually take a TD only if I've shortlisted the vehicle and close to a purchase decision).

How a competitor like Nexon will overcome the Sonet just became a little tougher to understand.

Advaith Kia
Kia Sonet : Official Review-price-list-excel-sonet-new.png

Advaith Kia, Sonet accessories
Kia Sonet : Official Review-img20200926wa0005.jpg

JSP Kia (sorry for the bad snap of paper)
Kia Sonet : Official Review-kia-sonet-price-jsp-orr.png

Last edited by navin : 27th September 2020 at 14:52. Reason: as per RP
k_ajay is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 27th September 2020, 08:26   #372

I got a chance to see Sonet yesterday, I felt it to be Claustrophobic , due to its smaller front windshield that’s further eaten up by protruding music system and Rearview mirror.
Back seat recline was comfortable though not very spacious.
Overall, not so impressed might cancel booking considering it’s 16 lacs on road.
MaheshBapurao is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th September 2020, 13:02   #373
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaheshBapurao View Post
I got a chance to see Sonet yesterday, I felt it to be Claustrophobic , due to its smaller front windshield that’s further eaten up by protruding music system and Rearview mirror.
Back seat recline was comfortable though not very spacious.
Overall, not so impressed might cancel booking considering it’s 16 lacs on road.
I had the same experience especially after taking back to back Test Drive of the Sonet and XUV300. I sincerely felt Sonet was a bit cramped [ My height is 6 feet ] due to the aforementioned reasons. Due to its imposing front it does have a muscular road presence, but when compared from the side with its elder brother, it does look a bit tiny. While the interiors and the feature list were top notch, but it was the asking price for the fully loaded automatic that led me into the cancellation of my petrol DCT.

The biggest advantage that Sonet has against the competition like Tata Nexon, Mahindra XUV300, Brezza etc is the refined automatic transmission be it the torque converter or the Dual Clutch Transmission and therefore Hyundai-Kia group are cleverly taking the advantage of the exclusive pricing monopoly.
pandatrooper is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th September 2020, 15:28   #374
BHPian

I found the Sonet to be claustrophobic too. Had gone to check out the HTX IMT but only GT lines were on display and the protruding touchscreen definitely felt to be eating a lot of windshield space. This was the first time I had gone to check out a sub 4m compact suv, I dont know how other cars in this segment feel from inside as I’ve never sat in a sub 4m suv before but the sonet was definitely something I found to have tight space and my height for reference is only 5’9”
speedfreak01 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 28th September 2020, 13:54   #375
BHPian

Just got to know that Kia apparently has imposed dealers to make insurance mandatory through them and we cannot buy insurance from outside!

Also, dealer told me he's ok if I take loan from outside but there is absolutely no wiggle room to reduce insurance price or to get it done from outside.

I'm getting the same insurance outside (HDFC Ergo) exactly same add ons for 24,000 and price quoted by the showroom is 32,885. This is plain robbery!

So, have gone ahead and asked them to cancel my booking. I'll rather not buy KIA products if they want to bully around like this,
It will be a runaway successes either ways. But, I will certainly not make a fool out of myself to such corporates. Not now but there's hope that one day people will know their rights as consumers and will not throw away money for everything!
bhansali_hardik is offline   (10) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks