Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 21st October 2020, 18:08   #586
BHPian

re: Kia Sonet : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT_C89 View Post
Congrats! Was there any prior intimation that the car is arriving or did he just surprise you with the photos? I ask because I am waiting for the same news myself haha
Thanks a lot!! Congratulations to you too!! No he din suprise me. I knew the car was coming.

My dealership experience:-
I had booked my car on 18th september after the price annocument and was told a waiting time of 4 to 6 weeks. On 5th October, vin no. was alloted to me. On 8th october my sales executive told me my car had arrived (also told me that he was suffering from covid and was quarantined). I was so excited. But my excitement was short lived. His senior told me that my alloted vin no. was actually of a demo car and that they were also suprised when they saw my car. Again the wait started and this time they told me that the car got billed to them on 10th october and departed from the plant on 11th october to be arriving here by 15 or 16th october. 19th october had past and i had no word from the dealership. On 20th october he tells me that my car has arrived, but the truck guy mixed up the cars of two dealerships and unloaded my car at other dealership and vice versa. I then told them not a problem just give me the car which you have received and exchange the vin with the particular dealership (same colour same variant). They told me that its a very lenghty process, they have to take many permissions from higher authorities and that it would delay delivery. So i had to settle for my car to be driven approx 90 kms.
Hoping the delivery is much smoother than this.
sambhav.jain is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st October 2020, 18:42   #587
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhansali_hardik View Post
Congratulations! This car is a looker. You're gonna have sleepless nights.
Thanks a lot!! It sure is. I am having sleepless nights already!! Too excited!! Waiting for the 25th!!
Old 21st October 2020, 19:09   #588
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Kia Sonet bookings cross 50,000 mark in 2 months

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cessna182 View Post
Why would anyone book a Sonet over a Nexon or XUV300? Can owners list out the decision points?
While the car is overall very sorted, the Diesel AT would seal the deal for me, especially if I had very high running. It is simply a fantastic, smooth combination in a sea of jerky AMT diesels.

Of course, that turbo-petrol is a jewel of a motor too.

"Freshness" matters to the market as well. The newest is the greatest for lakhs of customers. Most cars start seeing a slowdown in sales after the 5-year mark; if your product sells well despite its age (e.g. EcoSport), it speaks volumes about product capability. Few non-Marutis sell strongly after being in the market for 5+ years.

Last edited by GTO : 21st October 2020 at 19:12.
GTO is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 21st October 2020, 19:49   #589
BHPian

Quote:
Why would anyone book a Sonet over a Nexon or XUV300? Can owners list out the decision points? This car can't seat 2 in comfort at the back. Legroom is severely limited.
I can certainly tell you my views on this, but would not want to convince you. If you are buying a car for rear bench seat look else where! This is not a car where the rear bench can be enjoyed!

The rear bench is not even as bad as you think it's, can accommodate 2 obviously! If you need to stretch your legs, I doubt if you can do it in any of the csuv's! Remember the ecosport's rear bench?

As to why I bought it, personally?
  • Looks handsome
  • Drives good, actually drives great!
  • Wanted an automatic, but other AMT's seemed a little too jerky for my liking and the better automatics were simply out of budget. So, yes I happily settled for the iMT! I have my own doubts about it, but it actually works very well for now!
  • Checks all the boxes for a 2020 car standard at 999000 (I'm talking about the HTX iMT, it certainly has a few issues but that's a trade off with every car!)
  • Coming back to practical usage, how many times do I drive the car with 4 people on board? My case, past 5 years on my existing car have driven 80,000kms and maybe 15-20 K was with 4 on-board. Out of which a chunk of the share was in city! So, I like the front cabin and it really is upscale at this price point. (Check the magnite unveil today and you will agree, that KIA knows how to put good looking stuff in the cabin!) Can be polarizing, with the ac vents and floating screens. But, I like them.

YES, usually heart is where the automobiles lie. So, most of them are going with the heart!
bhansali_hardik is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 21st October 2020, 20:17   #590
BHPian

Quote:
Why would anyone book a Sonet over a Nexon or XUV300? Can owners list out the decision points? This car can't seat 2 in comfort at the back. Legroom is severely limited.
Not an owner and in no way trying to influence your decision or convince you but there are a lot of factors why Sonet should be chosen over the above mentioned cars:
  • Full LED Headlamps
  • Ventilated Seats
  • Wireless Android Auto/Apple Carplay
  • 10.25 inch HD Touch Screen Infotainment
  • TPMS
  • Auto Dimming IRVM
  • 6 Speed Diesel Auto
  • 7 Speed DCT with the 1.0 Litre Turbo engine
  • Bose Sound System
  • 6 Airbags
  • VSM/ESC/BA
  • Better After Sales
  • Looks better IMHO
  • Larger Boot Space
  • iMT transmission

Except for the less rear space the Sonet trumps both of them in most departments.

I know some of the features mentioned are present in the other two offerings as well but there is a trade off with either of them.

With the XUV300 the trade of is less boot space, less features, AMT transmissions and not so great after sales.

With the Nexon the trade off is less features, less safety features, AMT transmissions and not so great after sales experience.

Last edited by sv97 : 21st October 2020 at 20:36.
sv97 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st October 2020, 20:39   #591

Quote:
I can certainly tell you my views on this, but would not want to convince you. If you are buying a car for rear bench seat look else where! This is not a car where the rear bench can be enjoyed!

The rear bench is not even as bad as you think it's, can accommodate 2 obviously! If you need to stretch your legs, I doubt if you can do it in any of the csuv's! Remember the ecosport's rear bench?

As to why I bought it, personally?
  • Looks handsome
  • Drives good, actually drives great!
  • Wanted an automatic, but other AMT's seemed a little too jerky for my liking and the better automatics were simply out of budget. So, yes I happily settled for the iMT! I have my own doubts about it, but it actually works very well for now!
  • Checks all the boxes for a 2020 car standard at 999000 (I'm talking about the HTX iMT, it certainly has a few issues but that's a trade off with every car!)
  • Coming back to practical usage, how many times do I drive the car with 4 people on board? My case, past 5 years on my existing car have driven 80,000kms and maybe 15-20 K was with 4 on-board. Out of which a chunk of the share was in city! So, I like the front cabin and it really is upscale at this price point. (Check the magnite unveil today and you will agree, that KIA knows how to put good looking stuff in the cabin!) Can be polarizing, with the ac vents and floating screens. But, I like them.

YES, usually heart is where the automobiles lie. So, most of them are going with the heart!

Thanks Hardik! That makes a lot of sense to me (having booked HTX iMT myself). I was convinced due exactly the same points.

But a lackluster response from the dealer prompted me to TD a Nexon AMT -- which hasnt resulted in a change of heart yet-- but certainly left me confused about iMT transmission.

For some reason, I feel that despite all the jerkiness and lag in responsiveness, an AMT (along with its drive modes as well as a manual override) would still be more convenient and fun to drive after a long day at work/ on highways or even hills. Infact, I took the TD Nexon AMT Petrol to a patch with non-existent road-- and was spellbound by the way it handled those pits.

Have been a Hyundai guy for over 15 years--and therefore I too have inhibitions about Tata. But I feel what Tata here is offering is a great product too.

Would really urge the good people on the forum to knock some sense into my head on this.
Ujjwal Bakshi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st October 2020, 21:10   #592

Quote:
Originally Posted by sambhav.jain View Post
Thanks a lot!! Congratulations to you too!! No he din suprise me. I knew the car was coming.

Wow that sounds hugely frustrating. But now that it's finally here, enjoy! No such news on my front so I guess the wait continues..
Old 21st October 2020, 21:36   #593
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ujjwal Bakshi View Post
Thanks Hardik! That makes a lot of sense to me (having booked HTX iMT myself). I was convinced due exactly the same points.

But a lackluster response from the dealer prompted me to TD a Nexon AMT -- which hasnt resulted in a change of heart yet-- but certainly left me confused about iMT transmission.

Would really urge the good people on the forum to knock some sense into my head on this.
I have had a ton of issues with the dealers and given the success of KIA in India, we can only expect them to get worse. (It's weird, how humans function. It's getting sold either ways why give consumers the rights/attention they deserve? on the other hand we as consumers have this attitude too, it's selling so much, why would the dealer care about us? ) Many on this very thread asked me not to walk away from a great product due to bad dealer!
But my SA was actually saving the deal for his bosses and it looked like he was a chap who actually cared about my purchase.

Nexon is a great car there are no 2 ways about it! It's just what appeals more to you. If I were you I would pick the one where my heart lies, all my bikes and cars have been bought with the same logic! Never regretted it. (I would ride a classic 350 from 2010 until 2018, I would be wobbling on the seat but with a on my face and moved to another bike for the same reason)

Last edited by Aditya : 22nd October 2020 at 07:04. Reason: Typo
bhansali_hardik is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st October 2020, 22:07   #594

I own both Ecosport (face-lift diesel) and Nexon (face-lift petrol). I found the sonet to be a glorified hatch. Similar to what Honda did to their Jazz. The sonet looks quite small to me. But have to give it to Kia. If someone has to learn about market research and product launches, it's from KIA. Also, they did not stop at just launching few varients. Went full guns blazing. I see TATA mending their ways. Their sales are improving month on month. If sonet can sell this much, that too considering the Pandemic situation, it's a signal for other manufacturers. Buckle up or exit. You can't be a cat on the wall. I'm hoping for the people mover launch from Hyundai / Kia. The guys @ Toyota will be on drawing boards.
Mad4bhp is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 21st October 2020, 23:14   #595
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad4bhp View Post
I own both Ecosport (face-lift diesel) and Nexon (face-lift petrol). I found the sonet to be a glorified hatch. Similar to what Honda did to their Jazz. The sonet looks quite small to me.
Quite interesting take on "csuv" I essentially thought all were sub 4m and all were in and around the same ball park when it comes to dimensions.(they are a few mm apart)

If you call freestyle a glorified hatch, it would make perfect sense though!
Any particular reason why you would call one as a glorified hatch and spare the rest?

PS : Calling csuv's glorified hatches is so 2014!
bhansali_hardik is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2020, 01:29   #596
BHPian

Quote:
I can certainly tell you my views on this
What has been your experience driving the iMT. Given the fact that the HTX variant does not have hill hold, are you facing difficulties tackling inclines?
NFS2024 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2020, 10:58   #597
BHPian

Update from my previous post:

Dealer:

Capital KIA, Adyar are a bunch of incapable people. Running around with idea of what is going on. Make false promises and lie to the face. I feel cheated after dealing with them. I would not want to step foot in their place again. I had opted for their basic accessories kit - one of the SA shared a list with me - now they say most of the parts mentioned there does not come with the kit. Just 60% of the accessories mentioned in the list is part of the basic kit. Their logic - mud flap is not part of basic kit but ghastly chrome garnish all around the car is part of basic kit.

Got the number plate after almost 5 days - they blamed it on the govt. vendor. They gave gas they they will have the accessories fitted at the showroom while i wait. I rather not wait when they told that the car would be taken to the service centre for fitment of accessories - they offered to drop me which I refused and told them to drop the car at my home which is less a KM away from the showroom after fitment. I tracked the car going to the service centre and back thru the UVO app (which is really great BTW). I saw the car go straight to the showroom. I called them and their response was you can come and collect the car from the showroom. No one bothers to keep up their word. I make my way to the showroom and notice the accessories shared by one of the SA is not fitted but according to the person there only 2 items - boot mat and perfume is to be fitted. When i showed them the list - they refused that this is the list and shared another list and said that this is right list. Their strategy - each time a different person would talk and give you a new set of information to confuse you till you are fed up with them.

On top of all this the Chrome garnish looks cheap - gonna have them removed. It spoils the good looks of the car.

My advice -
1. Avoid Capital KIA, Adyar.
2. Avoid the Basic accessories kit which they charge 20k. Select individual accessories.

From what i see in this thread almost all of the dealers are giving trouble to the customer in one way or the other. KIA really needs to look into this issue.

Car:
Continues to perform well. Have been driving around the city mostly. Being a new car - grabs attention and many walk up to enquire about the details.

The UVO app is great - i have this habit of forgetting to lock the car after I park the car in my house - i usually remember it sometime later and go down to lock it. The same thing happened yesterday - i just locked it with the app and worked like a charm. I was also able to track the car when it was taken to the service station - displays location and car speed. Gives you peace of mind when handing over the keys to drivers or others.

The remote key hold to start does not seem to work - thought of asking the dealer which i realized with the bad experience i would rather not. Will wait for the 1st service at 1000 Kms which is fast approaching. Would be glad if someone is the form helps me out Is there any reason this does not work? Anyone has any idea why? Please note that i have tried it with the car in neutral gear and hand brakes on.

Only thing that has disappointed me is the sound quality of the speakers. Not that its bad - its good. But with BOSE badging allover the speakers I expected mind blowing sound quality which I am not getting.

Last edited by Archish : 22nd October 2020 at 11:03.
Archish is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2020, 11:03   #598
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nalin1 View Post
Very simple!. Indian herd mentality . Break the barrier once and cars will sell on auto pilot mode.

Now I will wait for better answers from more informed members .
Sorry but that is an insult to pretty much any Sonet buyer, as though the Sonet has no merits while the Tata Nexon and the superbly overpriced XUV 300 (that has been DoA) are packed with merits.

In terms of the why, if you are an informed buyer (not even an enthusiast) going in for an AT, the AT offered in the Sonet / Venue twins is far superior to the boxes offered by Xuv 300 / Nexon.

If you are the average buyer, then the entire package (from looks to the kit) at the pricing levels it is offered at.

To put down 50,000 bookings in 2 months to 'herd mentality' when an XUV has not sold as much in its entire period of existence is a bit too much.

I truly wonder why there is so much of derision (not this particular comment but in general) and scorn towards any product Kia / Hyundai put out.
Stribog is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2020, 11:07   #599
BHPian

While success it is, an overwhelming one that too, I have my reservations about the core values of an automotive, rather any company comes in.

The agility, to change rapidly to adopt the emerging trends is the mantra to taste success. We have seen the Koreans excelling this skill especially in India, cashing on the hunger for bling and features of we Indians.

I look at the other end of the spectrum, where companies like Tata and VW are sticking to their core values, VFM and Pure, frills free motoring respectively. Yes, they have been complacent if we may call so and not upgrading their product lines the way we want them to be, VW especially. But how I describe them are, these brands have been loyal to their purpose and core values. Could not bring in Honda here since they got really diluted off late.

Kia to me, has a great advantage of evaluating the market and learnt from the failures of a great number of players in India. Show me another country where they could taste such a roaring success like India. Fat chance, I say.

From my humble view, I respect the companies which stick to their core values and fundamentals and still have the character in their products. Kia is flexible, rapid in reflexes and suits to the needs of the market. Deep respects there. But again, what about the character? Well, none cares about that these days anyway.

With the trend, seems the old school car makers would pack and leave, sooner or later!
rangarx is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2020, 12:33   #600
BHPian

Quote:
Add No proven safety rating to "This car can't seat 2 in comfort at the back. Legroom is severely limited"

I personally think its all due to marketing: Making you want things which you don't actually need. Pushing consumers from mechanically safe and sound towards feature rich cars.
buntee90 is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed