Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd October 2020, 17:51   #616
BHPian

Re: Kia Sonet bookings cross 50,000 mark in 2 months

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhansali_hardik View Post
Well, it was daunting initially but it actually holds for a couple of seconds maybe. If it's too steep, we can use the hand break. For instance I had to take reverse on an incline, it sure was daunting! But, pulled the hand break, moved my leg from break pedal to the accelerator, gave it a little tap and disengaged the hand break.

It sure worked easily, but the main concern here would be the strain on the mechanicals, using this approach! But, this is the only approach we have to use I suppose.
for?
Thanks, are you saying even without the hill hold feature, it does hold the car for a couple of seconds?

Is it not possible to move the car on steep inclines without using the hand brake?
Old 22nd October 2020, 18:22   #617
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arindambasu13 View Post

My comment was actually on a different aspect, where undue or unwarranted importance is given to so called "features" and "gizmos" which are often of little real world value (at least to me), and forgotten once the novelty factor wears off.

Hope this clarifies.
My apologies. As we are on the Sonet's discussion page, I assumed you were referring to the bling / gizmos here. I also agree with you, but features overriding the 'core' of engine/gearbox, ride quality, seating etc, is likely to stay as we head further into this century.
Old 22nd October 2020, 19:11   #618
naj
BHPian

Hello ,

"Why would anyone book a Sonet over a Nexon or XUV300?"

Buyers would definitely book and buy a Sonet if it appeals to them and find merit in the car.

And if not all but people booking the Sonet also have checked the competition, driven various available options and made a decision based on their respective "KPI's". There is no right or wrong here.

Coming to decision points : I really wanted to buy the Nexon AMT for use in India. But since am making an investment it was natural to try out the options available .
Did a back to back Nexon Vs Sonet and Venue Vs Sonet comparison. Was biased towards Nexon initially and drove the other cars just for due diligence. But liked the Sonet .

Cons in Nexon in the 15 km test drive -
1)Found the ride stiff . Asked the SE if the air pr was ok and we checked it to be ok .
2)Road noise creeping inside the cabin was irritating and also when passing over bad patches .
3)Engine noise- This was a big turn off and there was considerable engine noise in the cabin in the test drive car.
4)One more weird observation - the horn when honked , vibrates the accelerator peddle and the RH foot feels it .
5)Fit and finish : Did not like it but this could fall in subjective area.
6)AMT: Felt is sluggish but did the job well in ghat sections .

Sonet-
1)Just the look and feel of the cabin provides a welcoming premium experience. The design is good and its in league with other Kia cars internationally.
2)The rear seat is not an issue per say . And there is actually quite some space available . Again all the B seg Xovers cannot seat 3 people comfortably . The extra one inch shoulder room in Nexon may also not make all 3 passengers sit comfortably IMHO . The person who was in charge of comparing the rear seat experience during the test drives said although Nexon is better but over all not an issue because of below point 3 . Leg room was not an issue . - ( All members were about 5'5")
3)Drove the Sonet over the same broken patches and it was way smooth and plush as compared to the Nexon .
4)iMT : Having driven Auto cars for last 10 yesrs , easily felt at home. No clutch operation and use of gear is really fun . Engine noise in cabin is well controlled and fun to drive. Found engine free rev'ing and enjoyable.
5)The overall experience ticked all the boxes actually.

Thanks-

Last edited by Sheel : 23rd October 2020 at 09:15. Reason: Xenon = Nexon. Please proof read posts before submitting. Thank You!
naj is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2020, 03:03   #619
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Quote:
Originally Posted by arvi86 View Post
To

Kia has just gone and showed you all how to do it. From a no-holds-barred entry to delivering two blockbuster hits within the span of a year, Kia has had a remarkable run here in India. The result? They would be nipping at Tata's heels in a few months for the hard-fought third position in the monthly sales charts.

Who would have thought this last year? Even Hyundai would be watching this space closely. Two more models like the Sonet and Seltos, Kia could spell trouble for the "H" brand.
To be fair, KIA had more advantages(being part of Hyundai group) compared to others, due to Hyundai being the 2nd largest OEM in India for so long. Hyundai had laid out most of the ground-work for KIA in India for complete supply-chain and the platforms, engines, gearboxes etc, not to mention the economy of volumes. If not for Hyundai's successful history in India, KIA would not have been this successful in India so early.

Renault-Nissan did not have these economy of scales. The Maruti-Toyota tie-up will really help Maruti hit-back Hyundai-Kia in the coming years with platform sharing(Raize & RAV4 SUV) and EV/hybrid Tech sharing. Mahindra-Ford tie-up might also lead to some good results. Future does seem interesting in Indian car market.
Napalm is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2020, 06:07   #620
BHPian

re: Kia Sonet : Official Review

Why wouldn’t it sell like hot cakes ? Latest gizmos, swanky looks,& an attractive starting price is enough for charming the typical buyer. Personally I do find it as an attractive and somewhat VFM package compared to its rivals. A close friend has also recently booked an HTK+ in white.
Old 23rd October 2020, 09:20   #621

Hi all, I need a help, would really appreciate if someone has any connects in Kia Motors.
Old 23rd October 2020, 14:11   #622
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFS2024 View Post
Thanks, are you saying even without the hill hold feature, it does hold the car for a couple of seconds?

Is it not possible to move the car on steep inclines without using the hand brake?
Not literally hill hold for sure! But closer to the half clutch maybe.

Have not been in a situation where I had to use the car on steep inclines, but the way it works I'm sure hand brake will be needed.
bhansali_hardik is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2020, 16:55   #623

Took delivery of my GTX+ iMT last week. The car has been excellent to drive so far. Loving the ease at which it manoeuvres in the city. Definitely turns a few heads.

Some pics of the new car and one along with my ecosport
Attached Thumbnails
Kia Sonet : Official Review-88a50749433d4856b653b7c19abee761.jpeg  

Kia Sonet : Official Review-2cef36a70dd14769b2829b9f285e4458.jpeg  

Kia Sonet : Official Review-ebc09ed66a4349888b8e0436f67bde8a.jpeg  

Merc4Life is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2020, 21:46   #624
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cessna182 View Post
Why would anyone book a Sonet over a Nexon or XUV300? Can owners list out the decision points? This car can't seat 2 in comfort at the back. Legroom is severely limited.
I wanted an automatic because I don't consider myself to be a good driver. I wanted a diesel so that higher torque can allow me to drive on the mountains with ease. Rear seat is of no importance to me. I wish it was a two seater .
Do I have no choice?
No. If you've driven AMTs on the mountains you'll understand.
Do I have a choice among the various variants of Sonet?
Unfortunately NO. Only GTX+ provides the safety features with the hill hold.
Am I being fooled by Kia to pay for unnecessary and useless features (for me)?
Yes, but then what are the options for me.
TS Rawat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th October 2020, 11:36   #625
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arvi86 View Post
To
Who would have thought this last year? Even Hyundai would be watching this space closely. Two more models like the Sonet and Seltos, Kia could spell trouble for the "H" brand.
If Brezza was still available in Diesel, Sonet/Seltos/Creta may not have had so much sales. In my view, Maruti, the Japanese and the European car makers have shown more social responsibility by only giving out Petrol engines. Petrol is a cleaner fuel.
There is still no one who makes turbo petrol with torque converter. Brezza and Toyota Urban Cruiser has torque converter on petrol engine with a mild hybrid system to boost the torque. However, performance of the Li-Ion battery in colder areas remains a concern to me.
Old 24th October 2020, 12:35   #626
Distinguished - BHPian

Saw a registered wine red Sonet today. Amazing looks. Kudos to KIA. If the back seat is comfortable, I will definitely consider it as a chauffeured second/third car.
Old 24th October 2020, 13:00   #627
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc4Life View Post
Took delivery of my GTX+ iMT last week. The car has been excellent to drive so far. Loving the ease at which it manoeuvres in the city. Definitely turns a few heads.

Some pics of the new car and one along with my ecosport
Congrats on your new car. I see you got the registration number during delivery. My dealer hasn't given me any number and I'm driving the car without a number plate or any kind of identification. Surprisingly, cops are not bothered to stop me too.
Old 24th October 2020, 15:38   #628

Quote:
Originally Posted by Googleman View Post
Congrats on your new car. I see you got the registration number during delivery.
Thanks!!
Well, it’s a TP registration. I visited the RTO for the registration number and should have it in the next week or so.
Old 24th October 2020, 16:30   #629
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TS Rawat View Post
In my view, Maruti, the Japanese and the European car makers have shown more social responsibility by only giving out Petrol engines. Petrol is a cleaner fuel.
I hope that Maruti extend their "social" responsibility by giving us safer cars too now that they are giving us only petrol engine cars as part of their social responsibility. <<sarcasm>>
searacer932 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th October 2020, 16:53   #630
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
If Brezza was still available in Diesel, Sonet/Seltos/Creta may not have had so much sales.
The Creta has been a smash hit since 2015 when Vitara Brezza and the S-Cross were available with diesel engines. That applies to the Seltos too for a few months before COViD-19 and BS6 emission norms had their say.

Quote:
In my view, Maruti, the Japanese and the European car makers have shown more social responsibility by only giving out Petrol engines. Petrol is a cleaner fuel.
Truth is, Maruti-Suzuki was caught napping. Their all-new 1.5-liter diesel developed in-house wasn't compatible with BS6 norms inexplicably. You'll just have to wait until their development activities are completed and their diesel engine comes back to the market. We shall confirm their social responsibility then.

I'm not even going into the European's (VW & Skoda) emission scandal which was a very 'responsible' act.
arvi86 is offline   (6) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks