Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 2nd December 2020, 16:02   #766

Re: Kia Sonet : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by sambhav.jain View Post
PS: Today morning i checked the tyre pressure it was 30 psi in all tyres. This means their system is also not calibrated properly or less than 35 psi was filled in at the time. Just for the record the car had 30 psi on cold start yesterday morning.

Thanks for reading!! Cheers!!
I was asking this because it's a common issue now with BS6 cars. Lots of posts on it now and I suggested an Italian Tuneup to my friend who suffered this in his new Seltos 2020 model. Works like a charm but not recommended before the first service of a new car.

This might happen again if you drive your Diesel less as the slow rpms means less pressure which in turn clogs up the DPF. Taking the car on a good long highway run will also work to prevent DPF from clogging.

Last edited by BlackPearl : 2nd December 2020 at 17:16. Reason: Trimmed the post within quotes. Thanks.
Old 2nd December 2020, 16:14   #767
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Today morning i checked the tyre pressure it was 30 psi in all tyres. This means there system is also not calibrated properly or less than 35 psi was filled in at the time. Just for the record the car had 30 psi on cold start yesterday morning.

Sometimes it takes a few minutes of driving to show the correct pressure-atleast that's my experience in my Creta. The car "feels" like it has 33 PSI, but the indicator shows 30. I also feel that these devices however jazzy they look, are not fully accurate and one always has to factor instrument error. At best it could be indicative. In fact, I have a habit of pumping 1 PSI extra while filling Nitrogen at the station. Their devices aren't accurate either !

Last edited by fhdowntheline : 2nd December 2020 at 16:17.
Old 2nd December 2020, 17:12   #768
BHPian

Quote:
A
First the tyre pressure was checked and air was filled to 35 psi. They told me that's the recommended pressure. As you can see below that's not the case.
Congratulations on the car, and sorry to read about your troubles. I hope it gets sorted out.

I took delivery of my Sonet a couple of weeks back and just did the first service. Mine was delivered with 35 psi which I had them rectify to 33, and they increased it again to 35 during the first service despite me clearly telling them to maintain 33. In fact, even the Sonet I test drove was set at 35.

I think they have a standard practice to do so, although the ride quality becomes noticeably harsher at 35.
Old 2nd December 2020, 17:30   #769
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancer_vkz View Post
Just wanted to check if anyone else getting a rattling sound from the car below passenger seat during a cold start. Was told by Kia SA this is the same in all GTX variants.

https://Youtu.be/QqEJFYqEBJc
Today for the first time in 3 weeks, I heard some rattling noise near the passenger side door (GTX+ D/AT). This was within minutes of starting, but I could not pin point from where. Not sure if it was the seat or the door. I stopped twice to check, but it became quiet on its own after about 30 mins. I drove about 150 kms after that and thankfully without any rattling. I thought such rattling noise was history with Ambassador and Premier Padmini. I'll check again tomorrow. It appears your video clip has been removed.
Can you update on your issue. Did Kia do anything?
Old 2nd December 2020, 19:58   #770
BHPian

Quote:
1. Engine light on.
2. DPF light on.
3. Reverse and 1st gear don't slot in smoothly.
4. Perfume dispenser not working.

The service experience was good only that it took 3 hours to complete. Also the service advisor tried to make me take the lubrication package and rat repellent spray. He told me that the lubrication package is mandatory at 1000 kms and 10,000 kms service. I politely declined. The final bill was ZERO.

Well, this is a sigh of relief! Good, it got sorted. But it's sad that kia has all these issues in place for sonet. They are a exact copy paste of issues from seltos! So, you might have a air purifier/dispenser replacement on the cards!

Also, it's sad that they shamelessly blatantly lie about the packages being mandatory! I'm sure more than half of the people who buy the new age cars barely mind shelling out this kind of money and these folks just take everyone for a ride! Worst thing is they might not apply any coat at all the way it's supposed to be! Biggest scam of all time - Teflon coating!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TS Rawat View Post
Today for the first time in 3 weeks, I heard some rattling noise near the passenger side door (GTX+ D/AT). This was within minutes of starting, but I could not pin point from where. Not sure if it was the seat or the door. I stopped twice to check, but it became quiet on its own after about 30 mins. I drove about 150 kms after that and thankfully without any rattling. I thought such rattling noise was history with Ambassador and Premier Padmini. I'll check again tomorrow. It appears your video clip has been removed.
Can you update on your issue. Did Kia do anything?
Assuming that you might be driving alone, it might be the buckle of the passenger seat! Usually I do not drive alone and when I did, I was puzzled! Why is there a new go damn sound again! The speakers make the windows vibrate even now, there is no solution to that I suppose, have made all the settings to a default 0 and no vibrations are felt. Boost up the bass, volume and the windows go crazy! Might get dampening done if time allows!
bhansali_hardik is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th December 2020, 14:14   #771
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhdowntheline View Post
In fact, I have a habit of pumping 1 PSI extra while filling Nitrogen at the station. Their devices aren't accurate either !
My service advisor also told me to do this, fill in 1-2 psi extra while getting the air checked at fuel pumps. Although it makes the ride hard, its better than the tire pressure monitor beeping.
Turbolove is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th December 2020, 23:58   #772
Senior - BHPian

Some Sonet owner made a Dura Alloy ALA Tata.
Attached Thumbnails
Kia Sonet : Official Review-screenshot_20201207225706_whatsapp.jpg  

BANDHAV is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th December 2020, 23:47   #773
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SansGT View Post
Can anyone recommend a good dealership in Mumbai which actually gives importance to customers?
Not sure if you're still looking, but I booked my Sonet today from Kia Autobahn in Worli. They were pretty responsive and the overall experience was good. I have been quoted a wait time of 8-10 weeks. The salesman said that the factory was shutting down around mid-December and would resume production on 10-Jan next year. Guess there's no chance of the car coming early for me.
sumobom4 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th December 2020, 01:26   #774
BHPian

And finally, I've got my black beast home yesterday Made my day.
Kia Sonet : Official Review-img_20201207_123651460_hdr.jpg
HTX Diesel MT Aurora Black Pearl

Kia Sonet : Official Review-img_20201207_131235901_hdr.jpg

It was a looongg wait of 3 months since variant confirmation (and 4 months from pre-book). Whole delivery process went smooth and the dealer Customer care team was more attentive towards even the smallest thing on the car. Because of my pile of emails regarding the delay in delivery they were more cautious to not to make any more issues there. New high security number plate is provided and we have been given a Kia welcome kit that consists of a Pen, Keychain and anti-slip mat.
They also have got an extra feedback form from Kia for me to sign that the issues I have raised are taken care of already.
I have driven 110km and the drive is silky smooth and my better half is also very happy with the plush interior and the ride quality. I could barely feel any turbolag and NVH is really great. Diesel clatter is reduced to the minimum (can start to hear it if raised beyond 3000rpm) and nil road noise. So far the MRF is doing a good job, even though I have not much love towards the brand. I saw an iMT Petrol variant with Apollo Almanac in the dealership. May be the next batch is fitted with Apollo. Night drive was also very comfortable as the LED headlamps and fog lamps serves the purpose really well. It lights up the road and even the surrounding area pretty good.

Apart from the driving pleasure, my most favorites in this car are (1)the Arkamys sounds system - which is surprisingly tuned to my liking without doing any adjustments (2)the interior lighting - in long journeys during night I found it very difficult with the 'just enough' lighting in the cabin in many cars. But the Sonet interior lighting is top notch. (3) As they have advertised earlier, India specific Horn - I loved it. (4) The sleek and very responsive steering - gives full confidence on both interior small roads and 4 lane roads as well.
Kia Sonet : Official Review-sonet-strng.jpg

Found two issues - first one, the OE mud flaps got from the dealer is not at all serving the purpose, as you can see below, mud is splashed everywhere on the body and reaches till the rear window. I have conveyed this to the dealer as well. Planning to install an aftermarket one.
Kia Sonet : Official Review-img_20201207_161438324_hdr.jpg

Second one is, there is no slot on the front bumper to fix the number plate and so one has to drill the holes on the bumper. Its a risky affair as the measurements and markings are done manually and human error can even make a bumper non-usable.

Also I found the android auto is accessible through the USB not via Bluetooth. So if music is played through the port we can't use the android auto for navigation. I thought of getting some USB splitter which can house two device at a time, but not sure if the system will recognize two device and allow us to use both at a time. Have anyone of you find any solution for this?

Last edited by BKB999 : 9th December 2020 at 01:35. Reason: Images not appearing correctly
BKB999 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 9th December 2020, 09:35   #775
naj
BHPian

Hello ,
I have been given delivery of the Sonet HTX iMT finally last week on Saturday.The initial color booked was blue. After waiting for 10 weeks and no news about delivery schedule,did write to Kia a few times about the opaque delivery wait times and allocation process. Incidentally the dealer called and gave an option for a color change to arrange delivery asap. Did just that and changed to Red.

Now the initial impressions :
1)The ride is very stiff & becomes slightly bone jarring at times . Every bump can be felt. Driving on freeways is fun but Pune roads make it uncomfortable on broken patches + bumps.The front hits quite hard on potholes and broken patches. This is way more than Nexon . Will be fun to drive from North to South Israel though.
2)The C pillar prevents all around visibility especially in city and road merging senario . Need to be extra cautious .
3)Remote auto engine start does not work on inclines. Its weird to have it this way .Could not grasp the logic.
4)iMT is sluggish . Especially if one pulls from a speed breaker or in a stop and go situation from second gear , there is a considerable lag .Car becomes unresponsive for a second and a half and then the power comes back .
5)Audio : The stock system (Non Bose) IMHO needs up-gradation to components and an amp . The cabin is silent and upgrade will be enjoyable.

Thanks-
Attached Thumbnails
Kia Sonet : Official Review-sonet-2.jpg  

Kia Sonet : Official Review-sonet-1.jpg  

Last edited by naj : 9th December 2020 at 09:45.
naj is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th December 2020, 09:50   #776
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naj View Post
4)iMT is sluggish . Especially if one pulls from a speed breaker or in a stop and go situation from second gear , there is a considerable lag .Car becomes unresponsive for a second and a half and then the power comes back .
5)Audio : The stock system (Non Bose) IMHO needs up-gradation to components and an amp . The cabin is silent and upgrade will be enjoyable.

Thanks-
Thanks for the feedback on these two points. Since I have booked the exact variant you got, I will probably face these issues. Need to budget for speaker replacement at the very least, I suppose.

As for the iMT lag, I faced speed breakers and crawling traffic during my test drive of the iMT, but I didn't notice any power lag issues. The car seemed to surge ahead the moment second gear was slotted in and the accelerator was pressed. We might need to check with other iMT owners/test drivers to see if this is a regular issue, else you might need to ask the KIA service guys.
Old 9th December 2020, 14:10   #777
BHPian

Here are the crazy wait times of the Sonet, shared by Car Kia in Hyderabad.
Attached Thumbnails
Kia Sonet : Official Review-38ba8041d80f435693f5bf667200aa04.jpeg  

Old 9th December 2020, 14:40   #778
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinitadikonda View Post
It looks pretty accurate, turbo petrol has the least demand and easy availability. 30k bookings and 10k sales a month means a long wait, don't understand why more expensive trims don't have better availability.
Old 9th December 2020, 16:01   #779
BHPian

Is Blue colour available in base HTE variant?
Old 10th December 2020, 02:24   #780
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinitadikonda View Post
It looks very weird!! 15-20 Weeks?? Who is going wait that long? I remember the dealer in Chennai was displaying the waiting period of 8-10 weeks for HTX Diesel Manual when I took delivery two days back. And there were no variants that have more than 12weeks waiting period. Don't know what is happening with this one! If its real, then Nexon and Magnite is going to profit from that.

Most Viewed