Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th December 2020, 16:44   #841
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborg View Post
I don't feel your discussion should be taken any further.
Cheers
May be you're right. May be I am not able to frame my responses rightly without ignoring the personal remarks that are being made.

I too feel the discussion with regards to the issue that I raised should come to an end.

If the problem is real and factual, some other esteemed member can and will surely initiate the discussion later and we all can find possible solutions to this.

Please accept the apology everyone.

Cheers!

Last edited by Dinesh_Malhotra : 12th December 2020 at 16:45.
Dinesh_Malhotra is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th December 2020, 18:30   #842
BHPian

I guess all the people pointing fingers at Dinesh have forgotten that this is supposed to be a forum full of auto enthusiasts. If we can't discuss about how to modify suspension setups on a vehicle, then how dare we call ourselves enthusiasts. He has stated everything very clearly right from his first post and even an apology in subsequent posts if people couldn't understand what he was trying to say. Still, it seems people over here can't stop kicking someone when he is down and still want to pile on.
I can understand his predicament just fine. He loves all the features that the Sonet comes with apart from it's suspension and hence wanted to know if anything can be done about it. I think we have had many discussions like this for other cars as well. And even if not, then I don't understand what's wrong with having such a discussion. I believe that there are many options available all over the world that allows one to tune one's suspension. And, if as an auto-centric forum, we are not willing to discuss those, then why are we here for.
rdst_1 is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 12th December 2020, 19:03   #843
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Kia Sonet : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdst_1 View Post
I guess all the people pointing fingers at Dinesh have forgotten that this is supposed to be a forum full of auto enthusiasts. If we can't discuss about how to modify suspension setups on a vehicle, then how dare we call ourselves enthusiasts. And, if as an auto-centric forum, we are not willing to discuss those, then why are we here for.
I have read the whole thing from the past few pages now and what I have found is that several solutions have been given till now. Best that can be done is buy the car and then test these various things said by other fellow BHPians.

As also said suspension is a tricky component, the whole car’s balance depends on it, not everyone is an expert in it. One mistake and your car can either meet with an accident or will see a failure in the upgraded components.

Quote:
1. Read through our forum or internet to make sure your seating position is fine while driving, it matters a lot.
2. Carry a digital air pressure gauge and make sure tire pressure is maintained at factory spec (cold).
3. Do not alter tire pressure in search of ride quality, it will only create problems.
4. Michelin XM2 is a good tire for comfort.
5. Drive carefully whatever the vehicle you have, not just for your comfort but for passengers as well.
Quote:
1) Exchange the 16" wheels for the 15" ones in the lower models. This will get you more sidewall cushioning. Choose the softest riding tire in that size. Experiment with the air pressure too.
2) After doing point 1, if you still find it difficult, you may want to get a softer suspension system. I don't think such options exist in the markets as of today. If done, will compromise handling and will increase body roll.
3) Try doing back strengthening exercises. Will help you to avoid back pain if your having desk job too.
4) Try adding additional cushion to the seats. You might have to reupholster the seats too. Strictly avoid it for cars having side airbags on the seats.
Quote:
-> Switch to comfort oriented tyres, like , MRF ZLX or Conti CC5/CC6, Conti MX5, Michelin Primacy series
and/or
-> Reduce the tyre pressure by a couple of PSI all round.
Dinesh should try out these solutions and update us.
CEF_Beasts is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 12th December 2020, 23:52   #844
BHPian

Re: KIA SONET - Suspension Setup is Nightmarish! What can we do?

Quote:
Originally Posted by V.Narayan View Post
Dear Moderators, Please delete this post if it violates any of our rules.

Dear Dinesh _Malhotra, You posed a problem entirely of your own making, sought solutions, dozens of members in good faith jumped in with solutions, you responded repeatedly in a rude and flippant manner and still want people to keep churning out solutions!!!! I firmly believe that either you are playing a game with the rest of us or you are exercising stupidity of a rather high order booking a car that doesn't suit you or your health after doing 4 tests drives. And you are unwilling to cancel the booking either. Time for this game to end. This is a serious forum not a playground.
With all due respect, I never expected this type of reply from you sir, having read many of your other posts on variety of topics.
Please tell me where else can one go, if not on a premier auto-forum of India, to discuss about modifying the suspension setup of one's car.
Every single solution presented to him didn't talk about what he was asking, and that was, how can one modify the suspension setup of one's car, when they are not happy with it. Everyone wants him to just change his choice of the car. That is definitely a solution, but not the only one and one which doesn't work for many others who have bought the car and feel the same way about the suspension. So please tell me, why can't there be a discussion about the other solutions that can be implemented. People who don't have the expertise to comment on such technical solutions have no need to worry about and provide such solutions but to think that we don't have enough experts on TeamBHP to talk about suspension modification is wrong, IMHO. And even if we don't have those experts, I still think we can have such a discussion irrespective.
rdst_1 is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 13th December 2020, 00:21   #845
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Col Mehta View Post
Congratulations on your new car and wish you many happy and safe miles with it .

Two questions for you:

How is the steering wheel feedback in terms of its weight? We took TD of both petrol and diesel and found diesel's to be heavier of the two, which put us off. Petrol was much easier to drive in tight spaces as well as during parking. Did you get a chance to TD both petrol and diesel and compare the two on this front?

How is the driveability of the diesel AT? Do you feel the power band is too narrow and the engine runs out of breath quite early?

Thank you.
My 2 cents on the same queries.
My extended family got a Sonet Diesel Auto GTX+ couple of months back and basis my experience with the car, both the above queries are not worrisome in the car.

The power band is spread wide across and using the sports mode does take care of the situations where you need that extra power. I have taken the car till 125kmph and I have no grouse on the power delivery front.
At the same time, I must also confess that the petrol sonet is more engaging to drive. We chose Diesel Auto purely because DCT reliability was a grey area for us.

Regarding the steering, my hunch is that the judgement on steering behaviour also depends on your current drive. For example, if I drive my Polo 1.6TDi and Sonet D AT back to back, I find more heft/weight on Polo's steering. However, if I do the same experiment with my petrol Swift, Sonet's steering will feel like going to gym. But overall, I don't feel any issue with the steering experience of diesel Sonet. It isn't that light to be played with a couple of fingers and that's the way I like it.

Last edited by headbanger : 13th December 2020 at 00:27.
headbanger is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th December 2020, 05:57   #846
Senior - BHPian

Buying any car is purely an individual decision. Even if all the social media in this world give any kind of opinion about a certain car, an individual will go ahead and buy it. Also, one cannot get everything in a car. Over 100000+ people ( and counting) have traded off the so- called stiff suspension of the Seltos for its features and capability. Over 10000 people each month overlook the radical design of the new Creta and buy it. And over 100000 people each month ignore the supposedly “ tin can “ build of MSIL cars. Over 3000 people each month overlook the anti- China sentiments for the practical and VFM MG Hectors.There is a big market out there . Just buy your car and make your peace!

Last edited by fhdowntheline : 13th December 2020 at 06:02.
fhdowntheline is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th December 2020, 10:04   #847
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
With all due respect, I never expected this type of reply from you sir, having read many of your other posts on variety of topics.
Please tell me where else can one go, if not on a premier auto-forum of India, to discuss ....
Thank you for reading and appreciating my posts. You are right that I usually do not write strong posts and I never write on the spur of the moment {put it to my age, if you will}. The post you refer to was written after deliberate thought.

For the benefit of all our readers, I penned down those thoughts because it seems to me after reading all of @Dinesh_Mahotra's posts {some of which I think the Mods have now deleted} that this member was playing around with the rest of us. The complete lack of clarity which those posts contained and the unacceptably rude retorts he was making indicate that either he did not know what he was seeking or was making a fool of the rest of us, who were advising him in good faith, or his ability to express himself is extraordinarily poor. I believe he was making a fool of us and hence called it out. I hope I'm wrong. This is a phenomena we see occasionally on Team BHP. @rdst_1 is absolutely right that this is India's premier forum on automobiles & two-wheelers and a go to place for genuine technical views and advice. And that is the very reason the good faith response of other members should not be misused or responded back with shabby manners.

Dear Moderators, please delete my post if it is not in line with our rules.
V.Narayan is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 13th December 2020, 11:39   #848
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
People who don't have the expertise to comment on such technical solutions have no need to worry about and provide such solutions but to think that we don't have enough experts on TeamBHP to talk about suspension modification is wrong, IMHO. And even if we don't have those experts, I still think we can have such a discussion irrespective.
Just my small comment on this. While you maybe correct that there are enough experts who may be able to suggest additional options on suspension modifications, we do need to keep in mind that this is a newly launched car from a new manufacturer in India and I don't there will be enough work done in the mod community in India on this car especially related to suspension. In addition I don't think anyone would suggest any drastic measures to alter the suspension behaviour in a new car even if the person is well aware of suspension modifications in general.

If the question was in relation to Volkswagen and Skoda cars for example, I am sure there would have been lot more options because these cars have been around for long time in India and everything that can be done would have been done and documented.

It is going to take some time before tried and tested options beyond the already listed non intrusive methods come up( if they ever do).
Rajeevraj is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 13th December 2020, 12:33   #849
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by headbanger View Post
My 2 cents on the same queries.
My extended family got a Sonet Diesel Auto GTX+ couple of months back and basis my experience with the car, both the above queries are not worrisome in the car.

The power band is spread wide across and using the sports mode does take care of the situations where you need that extra power. I have taken the car till 125kmph and I have no grouse on the power delivery front.
At the same time, I must also confess that the petrol sonet is more engaging to drive. We chose Diesel Auto purely because DCT reliability was a grey area for us.

Regarding the steering, my hunch is that the judgement on steering behaviour also depends on your current drive. For example, if I drive my Polo 1.6TDi and Sonet D AT back to back, I find more heft/weight on Polo's steering. However, if I do the same experiment with my petrol Swift, Sonet's steering will feel like going to gym. But overall, I don't feel any issue with the steering experience of diesel Sonet. It isn't that light to be played with a couple of fingers and that's the way I like it.
Thank you for your feedback. Yes, you are absolutely right about steering wheel experience depending on which car you are coming from. I drive 1st gen Creta which has a light steering wheel, and I like that way. The petrol Sonet steering wheel felt similar to Creta whereas the diesel Sonet felt a lot heavier, especially in the tight spots and during parking.

We are going to get another TD of the diesel to assess it one more time and will take the final call accordingly.

Thank you again!

Last edited by Col Mehta : 13th December 2020 at 12:44.
Col Mehta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th December 2020, 17:12   #850
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinesh_Malhotra View Post
If the problem is real and factual, some other esteemed member can and will surely initiate the discussion later and we all can find possible solutions to this.
If you'd stated all the details from the get-go, maybe I could've added to the post in a more useful manner. As far as the car goes, if you absolutely must buy the Sonet, start with downsizing wheels and putting softer compound tyres, choose between Continental or Michelin, if the car isn't a 6 airbag variant, you may also put seat-covers with added bolstering, reputed seat-makers will do it for you, if not consider pillows in the lower-back or hips though this absolutely isn't a solution long-term.

As someone who had suffered from extreme sciatica, I'd like to say that doctors have vested interests in not revealing the real cure, other than a few stretches and prescribing pain-killers and anti-inflammatory drugs, with sciatica, it indeed is a pain to drive any car, the slightest of jerks will pinch the nerves on the side of the hips and a grinding, irritating pain will follow. I got rid of it completely by doing the following :

1) Met with a chiropractor, an American who's trained in the practice, a few clicks and clacks and adjustments later, felt much better, looser and overall free-flowing than ever before.

2) Doing stretches, the leg attached at the hip joint must be carefully stretched either by folding the hips and knees inwards to the stomach and holding it till it hurts or placing the feet at a height, start with 3 feet, then 4 feet and even above if possible, its essential to get the pull sorted by doing an opposite flex.

3) Not keeping wallets, phones or other stuff in the pockets, I carry them as much as possible, wear loose trousers so that the stuff may be accommodated in the side pockets.

Remember, sciatica can get worse, and soon microdisectomy will be the only cure left to prevent the nerve grinding, better to attack it with natural treatment now itself. Today it'll bother the driving process, tomorrow it'll be walking and then sitting, no end to it. Cure that first so that no car is out of bounds.

As for the car decision, it is yours to make, others are neither paying for it nor experiencing it, I can say for sure the suspension isn't nightmarish,or thuddy, that comes from my experiences of cars like Lamborghini, Maserati, BMWs, Audi TT, VW Beetle, Skoda Octavia etc. It takes too much to label a suspension as nightmarish.
dark.knight is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 13th December 2020, 18:23   #851

Quote:
Originally Posted by TS Rawat View Post
Today for the first time in 3 weeks, I heard some rattling noise near the passenger side door (GTX+ D/AT). This was within minutes of starting, but I could not pin point from where. Not sure if it was the seat or the door. I stopped twice to check, but it became quiet on its own after about 30 mins. I drove about 150 kms after that and thankfully without any rattling. I thought such rattling noise was history with Ambassador and Premier Padmini. I'll check again tomorrow. It appears your video clip has been removed.
Can you update on your issue. Did Kia do anything?
Kia didnt do anything. Noise is still there for a min or so after starting the car. Apparantely an issue with all 1.0L petrol engines. Not sure about your diesel variant though.
Old 13th December 2020, 21:39   #852
naj
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TS Rawat View Post
Today for the first time in 3 weeks, I heard some rattling noise near the passenger side door (GTX+ D/AT). This was within minutes of starting, but I could not pin point from where. Not sure if it was the seat or the door. I stopped twice to check, but it became quiet on its own after about 30 mins. I drove about 150 kms after that and thankfully without any rattling. I thought such rattling noise was history with Ambassador and Premier Padmini. I'll check again tomorrow. It appears your video clip has been removed.
Can you update on your issue. Did Kia do anything?
Hello ,
Have noticed a rattling noise from the passenger door side area especially on rough patches and passing potholes. It seems to come from left ORVM area but could not pin point the area exactly . Its not a metallic noise but feels "some thing is loose" type of noise.
On smooth roads there is no noise. The variant is HTX iMT .

Will get this checked during the first service.
Has any one experienced same?
Thanks-

Last edited by naj : 13th December 2020 at 21:41.
Old 14th December 2020, 00:39   #853
BHPian

Folks, what would be the best cost effective solution to protect the black color?
A full body ppf from 3M is going to cost me 1L inr. I'm not convinced that spending around 10% of the exshowroom value of the car for paint protection is OK.
Please share your thoughts, thanks!
Old 14th December 2020, 02:17   #854

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7000plusrpm View Post
Folks, what would be the best cost effective solution to protect the black color?
A full body ppf from 3M is going to cost me 1L inr. I'm not convinced that spending around 10% of the exshowroom value of the car for paint protection is OK.
Please share your thoughts, thanks!
Even I need help for the same matter. I took delivery of my car (Black Color) on 11-Dec-2020. I have decided that 3M is out of my budget as their basic version of PPF will cost around 90k

I'm in regular touch with a detailer close to my house, 'Bonnet And Spokes' - Rajaji Nagar, Bangalore. I had yesterday visited their workshop and liked their work. They had just finished a complete PPF on 10 months old Innova and it was looking amazing. My major concern is whether I can rely on the brand they are using viz., 'Avery Dennison'.

I have been given an estimate of around Rs 60K for the entire car (except roof).

Not sure what to do
Old 14th December 2020, 04:59   #855
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V.Narayan View Post
I believe he was making a fool of us and hence called it out. I hope I'm wrong. This is a phenomena we see occasionally on Team BHP.

Dear Moderators, please delete my post if it is not in line with our rules.
I am now sure that no matter how many times I apologise, you cannot stop from making personal remarks or finding conspiracy theories when there are none.

I request you Sir to please let this incident go, and help me, yourself and others to move on.

Hopefully you'll take this in good spirits and not get motivated by members who are gleefully thanking you for your continuing rant against a member, who if not as distinguished as you are, but has been a part of this lovely place on the internet called team-bhp for long and has cherished the association.

My request to mods (similar to Mr. V.Narayan's):

Please delete my posts and Mr. V Narayan's posts (unless putting down a member is normal) and any other posts related to the query (or conspiracy) that I initiated, if they are found to be not in terms with team-bhp rules so that the discussion here remains about the car and not some well thought out pre-planned misadventures of mine as claimed and felt by many.

Lastly,

I might still be getting this car because I cannot make my heart go for any other. Let's hope my ownership remains just fine and I do not have to seek help again.

Peace.

Last edited by Dinesh_Malhotra : 14th December 2020 at 05:22.
Dinesh_Malhotra is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks