Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 21st December 2020, 16:18   #901
BHPian

Re: Kia Sonet : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by naj View Post
Hello ,
Have noticed a rattling noise from the passenger door side area especially on rough patches and passing potholes. It seems to come from left ORVM area but could not pin point the area exactly . Its not a metallic noise but feels "some thing is loose" type of noise.
On smooth roads there is no noise. The variant is HTX iMT .
Will get this checked during the first service.
Has any one experienced same?
Thanks-
I had responded earlier to you that it may be the seat belt buckle. Today again I experienced some rattling noise on passing rough patches and speed breakers (the ones that make you do bhangra dance). It appeared to be coming from the OVRM area or the window. It appears to be similar to your description. I stopped and operated the window up/down twice. It did reduce a bit, but it did not go completely. It was certainly not the passenger side seat belt buckle as it was secured.
I hope Kia can sort it during your first service. Please do let us know the outcome.
Old 21st December 2020, 17:57   #902

Last week my car broke down leaving me in worry. I have been driving this daily approximately 80 kms for over a month now. On Friday Dec 18, the car refused to start even after multiple attempts and I finally had to jumpstart it.

Took the car to Kia Service station and they told me that the battery had drained out and the possible reason was cold weather. Could someone guide me if their reason is justified for a new car? They have charged it again, situation is back to normal but I am still two minds about the reason.
Old 21st December 2020, 18:47   #903
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by himanshu1058 View Post
Last week my car broke down leaving me in worry. I have been driving this daily approximately 80 kms for over a month now. On Friday Dec 18, the car refused to start even after multiple attempts and I finally had to jumpstart it.

Took the car to Kia Service station and they told me that the battery had drained out and the possible reason was cold weather. Could someone guide me if their reason is justified for a new car? They have charged it again, situation is back to normal but I am still two minds about the reason.
Without having detailed background on this, it would be difficult to comment.

That said, for older batteries (3+ yr), their performance goes down in low temperatures. However, this is the first time I am hearing that battery in new car going dead due to 'cold'. Moreover, Hyundai-Kia vehicles have battery drain prevention control, so this is more surprising.

I am expecting that you already checked that no electrical load was left ON by mistake or vehicle's load heavy electricals like sun-roof or windows opened multiple times without engine running.

Last edited by AutoNoob : 21st December 2020 at 18:48.
AutoNoob is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st December 2020, 23:01   #904
BHPian

Sonetting to Goa and Dandeli!

Just got back from a week long holiday from Goa and dandeli.
The total round trip odo stands at : 1348 KMS
Average mileage shown up on the MID is 15.5 but on a tankful method I got a healthy 14.8KMPL.

A healthy 14.8 KMPL because of the terrain + driving style. I drive relatively quick and I'm certainly not a sedate driver in the ghats as well.

Kia Sonet : Official Review-20201221_134833.jpg

Sonet at the start; all gleaming and ready.

I am very happy with the way the car performed, we started from bangalore around 3 in the morning and the major concern since the start was the lights throw. Had cleaned out the headlamps specifically and the windscreen as well. (Added rainx fluid as well) and the results were quite good. I was able to drive at night quite comfortably and the reach in the high beam was good!

Reaching triple digits is very easy in this one and one has to pay attention to the speed warnings (Which are quite annoying and frequent post 80) the drive on the relatively empty highways (Monday morning) was a breeze and the car was munching miles within no time we had covered a little over 270 kms in 3 hours! The car behaves really well on the highway and when slotted in 6th we can come down all the way to the 70-80 kmph and still manage to go back to the triple digits at ease.
Kia Sonet : Official Review-20201221_221024.jpg

Felt at home even on these roads.

Kia Sonet : Official Review-20201221_221134.jpg

Tinai ghat section where the roads are really narrow

Kia Sonet : Official Review-20201221_151553.jpg
Doodh sagar resort and Spa.This is a Stop for us since 10 years !

We also had to drive through the jungle areas where the roads were in bad shape and narrow. We did have to take the wheels off the tarmac a couple of times and there was no scrapping/jarring on this one and it tackled the terrain easily.

Kia Sonet : Official Review-20201221_221316.jpg
At the Taj in goa

Kia Sonet : Official Review-20201221_222220.jpg
Views to die for

Kia Sonet : Official Review-20201221_221344.jpg
Beautiful restaurant

Kia Sonet : Official Review-20201221_221409.jpg
Beautiful Pool But closed due to the pandemic

Kia Sonet : Official Review-20201221_221438.jpg
The reception lobby

The suspension's stiffness can be a trouble in the pothole prone routes but as far as a good tarmac/cemented section is given to the sonet it just munches it with no issues!

The most satisfying part about the trip was the iMT. I was able to move and drive it with confidence from all the 1lakh+ kms confidence I had from the MT cars and the trips and put it in a new car without even flinching a bit! Was negotiating the ghat sections and single lane roads with the same confidence.
The gear shifts were slick and slotted with ease every time with no major concern/hiccups.

I did face a minor issue in Goa on the 3rd day when driving to small roads of an island at normal speeds, when I slotted the gear in 3rd there was weird noise from the engine bay/suspension end not sure where! But there was a weird clank and then it was gone. Never heard that one again for the rest of the 600 odd kms. But it was a little concerning!

We also got a chance to take our kia on a boat ride :

Kia Sonet : Official Review-20201221_151523.jpg
At Chorao island

Kia Sonet : Official Review-20201221_221458.jpg
Salim ali Bird Sanctuary

Kia Sonet : Official Review-20201221_221524.jpg
The River delta

Kia Sonet : Official Review-20201221_221544.jpg
on the ferry heading back to Mainland

Kia Sonet : Official Review-20201221_221607.jpg
Another beautiful evening at the Resort

Kia Sonet : Official Review-20201221_221629.jpg
Beach access was easy

Kia Sonet : Official Review-20201221_221652.jpg
Deck with a great View

Kia Sonet : Official Review-20201221_221707.jpg
Christmas Cheer and lights were on

We then took a drive down to the jungle lodges in Dandeli and had spent a couple of days there. The roads from goa to dandeli were relatively good in shape and I did chuck the car around in the corners and I'm relatively impressed with the kind of speeds you end up doing and not realising! But, there is a body roll certainly, it's contained but it's there!

Kia Sonet : Official Review-20201221_221238.jpg
The ghats from goa to dandeli

Kia Sonet : Official Review-20201221_151339.jpg
Kali adventure camp at dandeli.

Kia Sonet : Official Review-20201221_151445.jpg
Ample parking Space at the River lodge

Kia Sonet : Official Review-20201221_222123.jpg
Sunset point in the kali tiger reserve

Kia Sonet : Official Review-20201221_221805.jpg
Natures trail in the JLR property

Kia Sonet : Official Review-20201221_221824.jpg
Mushroom just casually existing

Kia Sonet : Official Review-20201221_221842.jpg
Symtheri Rock

Kia Sonet : Official Review-20201221_222107.jpg
River passing right in front of our property

Kia Sonet : Official Review-20201221_221751.jpg
That's what the computer says !

Kia Sonet : Official Review-20201221_151159.jpg
Bird Watching in the timber depot

PS : Was in a hurry to install the Yellow LTD sticker and the black one would just not come off! So, there the double LTD stickered sonet at your mercy!
bhansali_hardik is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2020, 09:57   #905

Great post @Bhansali_Hardik! Looks like you had quite a nice getaway and couldn't have picked a better time - right before Goa goes a little crazy with the Xmas/New Year crew. 270 km in 3 hours is pretty nuts.

Looking forward to being able to take mine out on such a long road trip as well. The drive from Bangalore to Goa is spectacular, but I haven't actually driven it myself - always been a passenger - so I can't wait to give it a run myself.

Could the weird clanking have been the same issue I was talking about some time ago? Tight break pads?

This car is definitely a dream to drive on the highway. I'm not experienced by any means - my drive to Wayanad a couple of weeks ago was my first long distance drive - but even I was completely at east and getting past people with no trouble at all thanks to just how smooth it drives and how much confidence it gives you at speed.
Old 22nd December 2020, 11:06   #906
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT_C89 View Post
This car is definitely a dream to drive on the highway. I'm not experienced by any means - my drive to Wayanad a couple of weeks ago was my first long distance drive - but even I was completely at east and getting past people with no trouble at all thanks to just how smooth it drives and how much confidence it gives you at speed.
The great post by bhansali_hardik and this paragraph you said makes me want the car more, if that's possible.

I've a long trip planned from Chennai to Attingal (Trivandrum) via Tenkasi. It sounds like the car is going to be a dream to drive on the excellent highway until Thirumangalam, and even in the two-lane road beyond which is in great condition.
Old 22nd December 2020, 11:11   #907

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathPig View Post
The great post by bhansali_hardik and this paragraph you said makes me want the car more, if that's possible.

I've a long trip planned from Chennai to Attingal (Trivandrum) via Tenkasi. It sounds like the car is going to be a dream to drive on the excellent highway until Thirumangalam, and even in the two-lane road beyond which is in great condition.

It definitely is. Even in Wayanad, in narrow roads, I was just really comfortable with it. It's very comfortable and just feels really stable, even at speed. I was really nervous about my first long distance drive but about 20-30 mins on the road with it, and I was completely fine. I'm not saying it's the best in class or top of the line when it comes to highway drives and the ease and confidence it transmits to the driver - there will be far more experienced people who have tried a multitude of cars on this forum to weigh in on that - but for a beginner I have absolutely 0 complaints about it. Was just super smooth.
GT_C89 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2020, 12:21   #908
BHPian

Quote:
Great post @Bhansali_Hardik! Looks like you had quite a nice getaway and couldn't have picked a better time - right before Goa goes a little crazy with the Xmas/New Year crew. 270 km in 3 hours is pretty nuts.

Looking forward to being able to take mine out on such a long road trip as well. The drive from Bangalore to Goa is spectacular, but I haven't actually driven it myself - always been a passenger - so I can't wait to give it a run myself.

Could the weird clanking have been the same issue I was talking about some time ago? Tight break pads?

That is usually our plan! To get away from city before long weekends and stay in the beautiful city when everyone heads out! The weird clank was certainly not from the break/wheel section. I'm quite sure it was from the transmission or some other place! My heart had skipped a beat, but I'm keeping a keen observation to make sure if it props up I'm at the SC then and there. Going to a SC right now is futile.

I've done this route 9 times in the past 8 years and trust me it just keeps getting worse! There are tons of diversions and they eat up a lot of time too! But the tarmac is better when you travel towards goa. The return leg has non existent tarmac at few diversions. You, can cover greater distances easily when you have the proper conditions! I started in a monday early morning 3! I literally passed through all the toll gates and there was almost no traffic to negotiate until the dawn.

I have always started my journey in wee hours! Over the years that is the most comfortable time I've found myself driving in. To each one their own.

Quote:

Yes, I can affirm that! It's very easy to forget what gear and speeds are you doing in this car on a highway. You can literally vanish in a few seconds ahead of the traffic. I am falling more in love with the complex turbo!
bhansali_hardik is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2020, 23:58   #909
BHPian

Huge Puncture!

This thing completely penetrated the tyre just above the side wall. Only the part circled is red was visible to outside. It was that deep.

Disappointed!

I had no choice but to get it done at the local puncture shop, he had to remove the rim and treat the puncture from inside because it was deep.

Should I get the tyre changed to the new one?
Attached Thumbnails
Kia Sonet : Official Review-85d15399350c4429a121acc2f65f83b1.jpeg  

Old 24th December 2020, 00:53   #910
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinitadikonda View Post
That feels terrible. Is the spare tyre a space saver one? Get this one replaced in that case. Since other tyres are fairly new, replacing one wont be an issue.

If spare is of same size (unlikely as far as I remember from the Sonet brochure), place this one in the boot after repair.

I usually dont rely on repaired tyres for a long duration (assuming around 40k-45k Km life for the set of tyres).

Had your tyres been due for replacement in another say 5k-7k Kms, then it would have been worth trying.

Last edited by PaddleShifter : 24th December 2020 at 00:55.
PaddleShifter is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th December 2020, 01:02   #911
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
+1
I have so far pretty nice experience in Chennai outer ring road and OMR where both me and my wife surprised to reach the destinations earlier than our usual time. The fact is that we never felt the speed inside the cabin and so I overshoot my usual city speed habits thinking that I am going very slowly (it is a bit dangerous as well I felt because I went into trouble with miscalculating while overtaking and had a few narrow escapes) I even downloaded a GPS speedometer app in my phone to countercheck if the speedo is showing a wrong info - it's showing a mere 3kmph less on the app which may be due to the GPS signal difference.
I am also excited for my Kerala trip next week to feel the real power of the Diesel motor

I wish all the BHPians happy journey, Happy Christmas and New Year holidays!
Old 24th December 2020, 01:17   #912
BHPian

Quote:
Huge Puncture!
Should I get the tire changed to the new one?
If the crack is as much lengthier as the metal piece's width I wouldn't rely much on the puncture. I have seen shops do vulcanizing puncture repair instead of the strip type puncture repair and its more effective.
Another option is to have a word with the dealer and the tire manufacturer rep who deals with the dealer for warranty. Try if you can get a replacement on a goodwill warranty basis- 50-50 or 25-75 options they may suggest for the cost. At least you can save some money if you are deciding to go for a tire replacement.
BKB999 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th December 2020, 10:53   #913
BHPian

Quote:
Huge Puncture!

This thing completely penetrated the tyre just above the side wall. Only the part circled is red was visible to outside. It was that deep.

Disappointed!

I had no choice but to get it done at the local puncture shop, he had to remove the rim and treat the puncture from inside because it was deep.

Please check if the puncture if it's a bad one, either ways if it's at the sidewall please consider replacing the tire for safety and more than that for peace of mind!

Also, if you are going to drive on a highway please make sure you replace it. Highspeed and weak sidewalls don't get along.
bhansali_hardik is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th December 2020, 11:00   #914
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Huge Puncture!

Take enough pictures and send it to the tyre manufacturer`s customer care email, depends on their policy they may or may not cover pro-rate warranty for the tire and give you a replacement at a certain cost, its worth a try.

Whatever be the case, replace the tire if its anything bigger than a normal nail type puncture.
Kosfactor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th December 2020, 16:32   #915

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoNoob View Post
Without having detailed background on this, it would be difficult to comment.

That said, for older batteries (3+ yr), their performance goes down in low temperatures. However, this is the first time I am hearing that battery in new car going dead due to 'cold'. Moreover, Hyundai-Kia vehicles have battery drain prevention control, so this is more surprising.

I am expecting that you already checked that no electrical load was left ON by mistake or vehicle's load heavy electricals like sun-roof or windows opened multiple times without engine running.
Indeed, no electricals were left ON. Could an electricity transformer pole above the place I park have something to do with battery going down to 10%? This is what Kia service team told me while diagnosing the fault. I am not sure if that should cause an issue.

Most Viewed