Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 5th March 2021, 12:30   #976
BHPian

Re: Kia Sonet : Official Review

Well, I can assure you that FE in city will never cross the 12kmpl mark realistically! You push the car a little (oh it’s so much fun!) and FE drops close to 10. On the highways sedate driving will certainly get you 15kmpl easily.
I’m talking about the petrol turbo iMT here though.
bhansali_hardik is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th March 2021, 18:32   #977
BHPian

Taken delivery of my Kia Sonet HTX imt on 25/2/21. Booked on 23/10/20, and waited for 4months. The dealer was Kia Epitome, Whitefield, Bangalore, and their response was lukewarm once the booking was completed. I had to write to kiacare twice regarding the delay.

The clutchless imt was easy to adapt, since I was driving a manual transmission for 17 years. The equipment cluster on the dashboard took some time to get used to. The inside of Sonet feels cozy, the AC effective and the ride comfortable. Looking forward to long drive. Planning for a trip covering Mysore, Byluguppe and Madikeri in 3rd week of March.

There are some observations on this Kia Sonet, our BHPians might give some comments. The noise from inside the bonnet seems to be heavy. Upon opening the bonnet, I feel the engine seemed to vibrate too much, and there was regular clunking sound from a belt moving nearby (I am not able to identify the name of component). Pictures below. When I had pointed this to the dealer Kia Epitome, they said this is normal in a turbo engine(the car is with 1litre turbocharged engine). But I was not satisfied with the sound coming from the belt. They suggested, that if I want to know more, I should take it their service station which Is nearby. I am thinking of attending to it during the 1st free service!

JKRKRISH
Attached Thumbnails
Kia Sonet : Official Review-img_20210306_171439.jpg  

Kia Sonet : Official Review-img_20210306_171525.jpg  

jkrkrish is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th March 2021, 08:48   #978
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by car_guy1998 View Post
No updates in this thread since last 2 weeks!
BTW,a known guy had bought Sonet GTX+ 7DCT and he is telling that the FE he gets is around 10 Kmpl and one of my dad's partners had purchased a Sonet GTX+(not sure it is Diesel or Petrol)despite having a 2015 Creta Diesel MT and 2016 Crysta 2.8AT at home.
Y'day I decided to check the FE of my 3 month old D/AT in the outskirts. I did my best to drive light footed for a better FE. I got an average of 27 kmpl for a 71 kms drive on ECO mode. The best FE as per the instrument cluster was 29.5 kmpl. I guess the actual FE by full tank method may be a bit less. Driving within the city has generally given me around 15-17 kmpl in Normal mode.
My requirement was for a D/AT(TC) <4m with Traction Control. The only choice available was the Thar or the Sonet. Unfortunately had to pay for many gizmos which were not necessary for me.
TS Rawat is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th March 2021, 10:45   #979
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhansali_hardik View Post
Well, I can assure you that FE in city will never cross the 12kmpl mark realistically! You push the car a little (oh it’s so much fun!) and FE drops close to 10. On the highways sedate driving will certainly get you 15kmpl easily.
I’m talking about the petrol turbo iMT here though.
My new Sonet HTX imt, has been showing around 9.4km/l for first 100Kms in City traffic. Hope the FE improves once I take it for long ride, and the parts gets well lubricated!!.
My 17year old Santro is giving 14km/l in Banglore city traffic even today..
jkrkrish is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th March 2021, 16:35   #980
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TS Rawat View Post
Y'day I decided to check the FE of my 3 month old D/AT in the outskirts. I did my best to drive light footed for a better FE. I got an average of 27 kmpl for a 71 kms drive on ECO mode. The best FE as per the instrument cluster was 29.5 kmpl. I guess the actual FE by full tank method may be a bit less. Driving within the city has generally given me around 15-17 kmpl in Normal mode.
My requirement was for a D/AT(TC) <4m with Traction Control. The only choice available was the Thar or the Sonet. Unfortunately had to pay for many gizmos which were not necessary for me.
That's nice to hear that the Sonet Diesel AT is giving 15-17 Kmpl in city conditions, which is almost on par with our 2014 Honda City iDTEC, which is also giving similar FE.

The gizmos in the Sonet might not be much important for an average joe, but where it excels is its powerful 115HP Diesel and 6AT TC combo, which is just fun to drive and I prefer it over AMT's of Nexon and XUV300 anyday but my other choice apart from the Sonet Diesel AT would be Thar AT.
car_guy1998 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th March 2021, 20:34   #981
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TS Rawat View Post
I got an average of 27 kmpl for a 71 kms drive on ECO mode.
Wow! The best I got on my GTX+ D AT is about 21 km/l without AC in Normal mode on a national highway. In the city, it shows about 16-17 on the console.
However, I find it difficult to drive in Eco mode, the TC gearbox acts like a CVT one. And it's frankly irritating!
Old 14th March 2021, 14:32   #982
BHPian

I am just curious about this thread being so dead. According to the reports, the Sonet is doing really well in the market; however, I don’t see any new deliveries / even experience being shared here on TBHP.
On the contrary, the thread of it’s elder sibling the Seltos has reached 116 pages, albeit a major share of it is on the niggles faced by the owners.

But if at all the Sonet is doing so well, why aren’t there any updates here? Of are the Bhpians staying away from the Sonet?

Last edited by ashvek3141 : 14th March 2021 at 14:46.
ashvek3141 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th March 2021, 17:41   #983
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashvek3141 View Post
I am just curious about this thread being so dead. According to the reports, the Sonet is doing really well in the market; however, I don’t see any new deliveries / even experience being shared here on TBHP.
On the contrary, the thread of it’s elder sibling the Seltos has reached 116 pages, albeit a major share of it is on the niggles faced by the owners.

But if at all the Sonet is doing so well, why aren’t there any updates here? Of are the Bhpians staying away from the Sonet?
I'm extremely happy with my Sonet. I was unable to get around to make the Review thread due to me pretty much going somewhere every weekend (3k kilometers in the first 30 days)... however something happened which brings me here.

Kia Sonet : Official Review-img_20210313_100310.jpg

Someone has scratched my car quite badly. It looks like they took a rock/hard item and scribbled randomly on the boot hatch. I'm beyond pained. I've kept my car extremely clean, going to the point of painstakingly dusting it after every run, long or short. But the one night I didn't put the cover when visiting a relative's place to halt for the night, this happened.

Is there any way to get this back to normal without repainting the entire boot? Are the scratches something that can be dealt with easily? Please let me know. I'm kicking myself for this.

Last edited by DeathPig : 14th March 2021 at 17:42.
DeathPig is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th March 2021, 17:43   #984
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I'm still waiting for my car, last time I was at the dealer, the SA said they were delivering 7 cars a day, which model he didn't say. I booked in November and changed the colour last month,so still waiting. In case you're wondering, I'm not considering the Kiger/Magnite as my requirements are for an automatic diesel. The budget interiors of the twins don't cut it for me.
avira_tk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th March 2021, 18:12   #985
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avira_tk View Post
I'm still waiting for my car, last time I was at the dealer, the SA said they were delivering 7 cars a day, which model he didn't say. I booked in November and changed the colour last month,so still waiting. In case you're wondering, I'm not considering the Kiger/Magnite as my requirements are for an automatic diesel. The budget interiors of the twins don't cut it for me.
I think a change in the colour puts you in the list of ‘fresh booking’. Hence the delay, maybe. Atleast, this is what the dealers convey; not sure if it is exactly true.

Neway, I wish you get your car soon & do share your experience with the car as you have gt the CREAM of the engine + gearbox combo.
ashvek3141 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th March 2021, 18:27   #986
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
We're all in waiting, mine has a few more days left until delivery, hopefully next week.

It's a tight package rest assured, no car in the 4m category has the design, useful features, engine & gearbox combo and potent diesel engine as this. Space in the rear is about the only place I can nitpick but it IS after all, a 4m car and it does accommodate people who're 5'10 back-to-back comfortably thanks to the taller roof and higher seats.

Its a worthy buy, I mean every car has something missing, even the 1+ crore ones, but for the money this car packs nearly twice the value.
dark.knight is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 14th March 2021, 19:58   #987
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathPig View Post
Is there any way to get this back to normal without repainting the entire boot? Are the scratches something that can be dealt with easily? Please let me know. I'm kicking myself for this.
I believe these are not deep scratches and you can try rubbing with polish. I have been using Amway Silicon Glaze for many years, and rubbing the scratched section using an application pad have removed all the light scratches occurred till now in my Honda City and Skoda Rapid. You may try the same (any good brand polish would be fine), and I have a good feeling that you will be happy with the outcome.
pavi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th March 2021, 20:00   #988
BHPian

Yes Indeed. It's one of those which ticks most of the boxes.
Wonder if there is a possibility of seeing an imt gearbox for diesel. Technically it should be possible.
Old 14th March 2021, 20:24   #989
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavi View Post
I believe these are not deep scratches and you can try rubbing with polish. I have been using Amway Silicon Glaze for many years, and rubbing the scratched section using an application pad have removed all the light scratches occurred till now in my Honda City and Skoda Rapid. You may try the same (any good brand polish would be fine), and I have a good feeling that you will be happy with the outcome.
Oh ok. I read online that Turtle Wax also is a good brand... but I will stick to the one you have mentioned seeing as how you have also seen good results.
Old 15th March 2021, 10:20   #990
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathPig View Post

This is very sad! You can get it fixed easily at a detailing shop though. (Can do it your self if you have the right tools but would still prefer a detailing shop) they will buff it with a rubbing compound and then polish it off if the scratch is nail deep. If not, a good wash and a Polish will do it.
Turtle wax is obviously great! Have been using it since ages. By any chance you get to visit their studio in Bangalore (I think it’s near yehlanka) do try them out. Else any detailing shop will be able to fix this, don’t be heat broken over it!

Most Viewed