Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 9th May 2021, 00:16   #1066
BHPian

Re: Kia Sonet : Official Review

Kia Sonet sunroof leaking issue.

This is one of my biggest fears when it comes to driving during rain - water leakage from the roof - and now with cars coming up with sunroofs, this really makes me paranoid about it even more. I know this isn't happening with every second car but this is definitely not a one off incident either. Have been hearing quite a few cases of sunroofs leaking.

Col Mehta is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 9th May 2021, 10:42   #1067

Quote:
Originally Posted by Col Mehta View Post
Kia Sonet sunroof leaking issue.

This is one of my biggest fears when it comes to driving during rain - water leakage from the roof - and now with cars coming up with sunroofs, this really makes me paranoid about it even more. I know this isn't happening with every second car but this is definitely not a one off incident either. Have been hearing quite a few cases of sunroofs leaking.
From the video it looks like the sunroof is in tilt mode. Hence the water dripping is seen. Even then no water is entering the cabin and it is only dripping to the designated drains. Which I think is fair and expected when the sunroof is in tilt mode. The second half of the video where the water is entering the cabin seems to be of a harrier with a leaking sunroof ()
niranjan94 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th May 2021, 13:36   #1068
BHPian

Hello Forum Members,

I booked my Sonet GTX+ Diesel AT back in January. The expected waiting time was 11 weeks i.e Mid-april.

The dealership has been very competent(sarcasm) in telling the car will come in next allotment which is the same answer I have been getting for last 3 weeks.

While I am excited getting the new updated variant, the whole joy of ownership is now drowned in these delays. The manager also seemed quite clueless. I am contemplating lodging a formal complaint with Kia Customer Care but I don't want to sour the relation further and planning to do this after receiving my vehicle.

Any suggestions from this forum would help? Did most of you face such delays in your delivery.

Thanks
Eeshaan
aeeshaan007 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th May 2021, 14:39   #1069
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeeshaan007 View Post
Hello Forum Members,

I booked my Sonet GTX+ Diesel AT back in January. The expected waiting time was 11 weeks i.e Mid-april.

The dealership has been very competent(sarcasm) in telling the car will come in next allotment which is the same answer I have been getting for last 3 weeks.

While I am excited getting the new updated variant, the whole joy of ownership is now drowned in these delays. The manager also seemed quite clueless. I am contemplating lodging a formal complaint with Kia Customer Care but I don't want to sour the relation further and planning to do this after receiving my vehicle.

Any suggestions from this forum would help? Did most of you face such delays in your delivery.

Thanks
Eeshaan
I have been getting confirmation for the last 3 months, that I will get allotment this month. This month, it was different, they called to say I will get allotment next month. I also received the below sms, I have no idea what it means.

Dear avira_tk as requested your booking for Kia SONET has been modified to 07/05/2021. Vehicle delivery period will be subject to stock availability and as per the booking modification date.

I booked the car in November, then changed the colour option in January/February, these communications started only after I changed the colour. The only certain thing is that they will let me know when my car is allocated 10 days before planned delivery. Regarding the above sms, I didn't modify my booking on 7th May. Don't contact them, they won't bother to address any issues, they are in a seller's market, the situation is the same everywhere.
avira_tk is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 10th May 2021, 20:36   #1070
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avira_tk View Post
I have been getting confirmation for the last 3 months, that I will get allotment this month.
=====
Don't contact them, they won't bother to address any issues, they are in a seller's market, the situation is the same everywhere.
Thanks. Yes. I am tired of following up. They'll give the car when they have to give. I am little apprehensive that the dealer might allot the car to someone else. I am not sure if the allotment is done by the dealer or factory.
Anyway I haven't received any single intimation from Kia as well, either email or sms. The last thing we got was booking Confirmation
Old 11th May 2021, 11:22   #1071
BHPian

I had booked Sonet GTX+ Petrol DCT , online in April 2021. Dealership contacted me and finished the initial paper works and informed that the waiting period will be two months. Last week, got a booking modification SMS from KIA and apparently this SMS is sent to all customers who are waiting for allocation.
Old 11th May 2021, 11:40   #1072
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueshift View Post
Wow. Impressive. I was comparing the Sonet HTX 1.5D with the Ecosport Titanium Diesel variant. I think Sonet here makes a more better alternative at Rs50,000 more. See details below (pros and cons)
  • Slightly better fuel efficiency(24kmpl vs 21kmpl)
  • Slightly bigger engine(99bhp 240Nm vs 99bhp 215Nm)
  • 40lit extra boot space
  • 5mm extra width tyres and GC
  • Rear AC vents
  • Reverse camera with guidance
  • Cruise Control
  • Rear armrest
  • Ambient interior lightning, Automatic headlights, Dual cabin lights
  • Android Auto/CarPlay support
  • - No Traction Control
  • - No driver car
  • - No telematics
  • - No rear wiper
  • - No GPS navigation
Most states have a higher bracket of road tax once the ex.showroom crosses 10L and hence the 50k more becomes ~1L more on road.

The Sonet HTX now gets ESC, so traction control will also be present. It is an ESC/ESP function.
Old 11th May 2021, 11:52   #1073
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethnicul View Post
I had booked Sonet GTX+ Petrol DCT , online in April 2021. Dealership contacted me and finished the initial paper works and informed that the waiting period will be two months. Last week, got a booking modification SMS from KIA and apparently this SMS is sent to all customers who are waiting for allocation.
Maybe, but this SMS is coming the second time and no sign of allocation. The dealership might have a role to play in how the communication is sent, I didn't modify my booking on the date given in the SMS.
Old 15th May 2021, 21:48   #1074

Hello Everyone,

An unfortunate incident happened today with my Sonet. The left passenger side door was damaged by some sort of machine that someone was carrying on his Activa.

I was making a left turn (narrow) and at the same time that guy thought there is enough space to sneak in but ended up doing this.

What should be my next steps?
1) Do i need to get the door replaced under claim?
2) Is it a dent that can be fixed by outside (i don't prefer that) or i can make a forced claim to ask for door change?
3) Beginners query- If they end up changing my door, is it too much of electrical work as well w.r.t to sensors for door open/close signal, car lock, etc. I don't want to tinker the new machine that has run only 200 odd kms.

Attached pics below. Would really appreciate inputs from member. From my what i can see the door guard with Sonet badging is totally ripped off and can see further damage, so not sure what should be done.
Attached Thumbnails
Kia Sonet : Official Review-0d783277d6304ac9961b94a8a7c22929.jpg  

Kia Sonet : Official Review-99a240f8ea554f358d40866813a56431.jpg  

Kia Sonet : Official Review-694b6e4db2514a0aa75e6e28c89eac67.jpg  

Kia Sonet : Official Review-4211bc41a2f04aef9670af7c045c911e.jpg  

Kia Sonet : Official Review-a25a369e856b45ff831ff94420bf36aa.jpg  

Kia Sonet : Official Review-a32a3468affe4beb996475d94586ae43.jpg  

nayan_ncr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th May 2021, 14:41   #1075
BHPian

Sonet iMT Owners, can you please share your long term experience with iMT. Is there any performance degradation over time? Do you feel it will last long like the traditional MT or you anticipate there would be additional maintenance costs (like the heating issues & wear in DCT during city use).
Totoro11 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th May 2021, 18:33   #1076
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nayan_ncr View Post
What should be my next steps?
1) Do i need to get the door replaced under claim?
2) Is it a dent that can be fixed by outside (i don't prefer that) or i can make a forced claim to ask for door change?
3) Beginners query- If they end up changing my door, is it too much of electrical work as well w.r.t to sensors for door open/close signal, car lock, etc. I don't want to tinker the new machine that has run only 200 odd kms.
If you are claiming insurance, service center will most likely replace the door. Any accessories may not be covered unless you have taken cover for same. If you are planning to get repaired outside, will easily cost you 6-8K or more. I would suggest go with insurance and ask for door replacement, end result should be best.
PrideRed is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 20th May 2021, 00:21   #1077
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Totoro11 View Post
Sonet iMT Owners, can you please share your long term experience with iMT. Is there any performance degradation over time? Do you feel it will last long like the traditional MT or you anticipate there would be additional maintenance costs (like the heating issues & wear in DCT during city use).
Need a new thread on Sonet iMT, if it cannot be linked to this one. Considering that it’s a bold deviation from decades old practices and systems, we need a lot of information and long term ownership reviews, just as we are getting in the EV space. If Kia is deciding to bring iMTs to the Seltos then this transmission option must be doing well in the marketplace
armumbai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th May 2021, 09:29   #1078
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by armumbai View Post
Need a new thread on Sonet iMT, if it cannot be linked to this one. Considering that it’s a bold deviation from decades old practices and systems, we need a lot of information and long term ownership reviews, just as we are getting in the EV space. If Kia is deciding to bring iMTs to the Seltos then this transmission option must be doing well in the marketplace
Completely agree ... I was considering taking the plunge on Seltos iMT but we only have IMT data of around 1-1.5 years to base the decision. Hence if more people can contribute, it will definitely help.

@Mods, can you please place this discussion in an appropriate thread
Totoro11 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th May 2021, 12:44   #1079
BHPian

My Black Beast (or Beauty??) Kia Sonet HTX 1.5D 6 MT

This is my second car after the 2017 Etios Liva, which I sold last year, or in other words, my first C-SUV!

Since the time we started regular long trips in our Liva, the luggage space constraint and low ground clearance had been bothering me. I then started my research on the C-SUV segment's choices of diesel in 2016. The USPs for me in this segment are the high ground clearance, decent luggage space and the better road presence and all these came within the budget due to the sub-4 m tax regime.

These were the major reasons to strike out the players from my list - in the order.

Ecosport
Lack of USP equipment like SYNC3, projector headlamps. Outdated design.

WRV
I liked it only for its stable drive and comfortable suspension. Other than that, I don't like the 'Less Features High Price' attitude of Honda. Felt like sitting inside a 2015 model.

Brezza / UrbanCruiser
These were not up to my liking due to the flimsy body and interior rattles I have experienced in other MSIL models.

XUV300
Ruled out due to its hatchback-like boot space and higher price.

The last choice was Nexon and I had almost concluded my research on that after taking a couple of test drives (petrol), as I was happy with the performance and equipment list. But, the lame response from the dealer delayed everything for more than a month and by that time, Kia had announced the Sonet. I had decided to give it a try and VOILA! I found my choice.

I went ahead with pre-booking without selecting the variant. It took one more month to decide the variant when Kia announced the prices and there was no hesitation in selecting the HTX Diesel Manual. It was indeed the VFM variant.
Kia Sonet : Official Review-img_20201207_131235901_hdr.jpg

I got the delivery in December 2020 after a wait of 4 months from the date of pre-booking. The sales experience with Kia Motors was the worst as they were never transparent about the delivery date. The dealership was clueless too even though they tried hard to get some updates. Plenty of emails sent to Kia sales and marketing went unanswered.

Kia Sonet : Official Review-sonet-fr.jpg

Kia Sonet : Official Review-sonet-rr.jpg
Team-BHP sticker was the first accessory to be fitted.

Soon after the 1st service we went for a Chennai-Ernakulam trip via the Valparai route.

A few pics from the foggy Valparai-Athirappally route.
Kia Sonet : Official Review-img_20201230_132049305_hdr.jpg

Kia Sonet : Official Review-img_20201230_132933632_portrait.jpg

Kia Sonet : Official Review-img20201231wa0004.jpg

This was the best shot in which we could see anything more than 100 m ahead!
Kia Sonet : Official Review-img_20210111_171645596_hdr.jpg

This was a 15 day program and we covered 3,200 km which included the 4-lane highway from Chennai to Dindigul. The roads were full of potholes from Dindigul to Udumalpet and from there, we took the mighty ghat route filled with hairpin bends to Athirappally. We did drive in hot sun, fog and heavy rain and the Sonet never let us down. The sunroof was really complementing the experience when the shade was kept open during the foggy and rainy conditions.

The Sonet has completed 5,000 km now and the first two free services.

I will try to explain my overall experience with the Sonet below.

Engine
The 1.5L diesel engine is a powerful unit which accelerates very quickly to 80 km/h in 8 seconds. It is very responsive and I feel the sweet spot is within the 1,700-2,000 rpm range. Power delivery is linear and never gives a turbo kick effect. Since I had been used to the low power (70 PS) engine of the Liva, I was a little skeptical about the NVH levels this higher powered unit could produce. But surprisingly, the noise levels are too low to be annoyed inside the cabin and keeping the hood open, it doesn't feel very noisy too due to the low idle rpm.

However, I feel there is a downside to the lower idle rpm. Those steep angle surfaces are a bit tricky to drive over when starting from a stop. I have to revv it to at least 1,100 rpm with the parking brake ON to get onto the parking ramp. Seeing the durability of the diesel motor in the Seltos, I hope the Sonet will also deliver the same in the long-term.

Transmission
The 6-speed manual transmission has smooth shifts and short throws. The sixth gear is only suitable for use at speeds of 70 km/h and above, and if used below that, you will feel a judder and the MID will warn you to downshift. Shifting up/down between 5th and 6th is a bit tricky as the lever tends to move to 3rd by default. Need to keep the lever towards right while shifting, always (I didn't see this in the i20 6speed transmission).

Drivability, Suspension and Braking
On highways, the composition of the Sonet was extremely good at 120 km/h. In fact, I didn't realize we were doing around 120 km/h until I heard the speed warning. The engine is designed to be kept around 1,500 rpm even at 90-100 km/h and so, there are absolutely no vibrations or sound. On bad roads we felt the potholes when driven extremely slow - at around 15-20 km/h, but the ride never was bone-jarring. When driven above that speed, potholes weren't that significant.

However, the suspension is not at all tolerant to the higher, unconventional speed breakers in the Chennai city. Even if driven at around 5-10 km/h, we can feel the shock absorbers reaching the extreme point and come back with loud thud, which directly comes inside the cabin. Initially, I have had many occurrences and now I always care to bring the car almost to a stop and shift to 1st and get it across. I don't know if it's a fault or designed that way!!

Ghat sections were handled easily in 3rd gear and we almost never felt any roll in the hair pins, which I felt really good about since it's a high GC vehicle.

The power steering is really responsive at both, slow and high speeds and will never give to a feeling of driving a 1.2 ton vehicle.

The braking is effective, but needs quite a lot experience to get used to. If you exert a little more pressure on the brake pedal, you will end up hitting the steering wheel as the car comes to a stop as if you have done sudden braking. This could be a brake MC property or the ABS sensors' over sensitiveness. Also, you have to get used to the ABS activation very often - whenever there is a slippery surface or uneven surface. I strongly believe that this needs to be fixed as it is not normal behaviour. Having said that, the braking distance and efficiency is perfect as long as the brakes are applied gradually.

So far there is no tyre noise (the stock tyres are MRF and I don't know about their durability) and the tyres provide good grip on wet roads as well.

Fuel Efficiency
On highways we got around 24.5 km/l as per the MID and overall, we got 20.2 km/l following the tank to tank method that includes some city drives and bad roads. During the drive in Kerala, the Sonet returned a decent FE of 16-18 km/l on the congested roads. Keeping the speed around 60-75 km/h with steady acceleration and the car delivers even 19 km/l in the city in my experience.

Infotainment
Infotainment was one of the key points during the research (for me that was the USP in the Nexon). The Arkamys system is fantastic and provides crisp and clear sound with strong bass without distortion. The touch screen is really responsive and I have never found any bugs, delays or any unresponsiveness. Wireless Android Auto is a cool feature as it reduces the number of wires and helps to keep the center console clean. There is one issue I have reported to Kia vis the ASS regarding the audio unit. When connected via wireless Android Auto I am not able to attend phone calls via the head unit. I see similar issues are being reported in many user forums. I am waiting for a reply from Kia. Videos cannot be played on this unit, which is a let down in my opinion as it would be helpful in long drives (with restriction during driving anyway).

Others
AC is super cool and does its job very quickly and efficiently so that we don't need to keep the blower at higher speeds; we can enjoy the music without the blower sound interruption. The rear vents also do their job as intended. Another good thing I found is that the tinted windows help in reducing the heat by at least 25%. It helps to contain the cool air on hot days and double up the cooling in cool climate!
The remote start is really useful in Chennai as it cools the interior when parked under the hot sun.

The beige color of the interior keeps it very pleasant and gives a roomy feel than the actual. Needless to say that this doubles up the cleaning job. I always prefer the fabric seats compared to faux leather. But the fabric used is highly prone to stain and I found it very difficult to clean. I assume this is the fabric's property and it could have been better. I had a similar interior in my Liva and it was an easy task to clean it. The seats are plush enough for a comfortable sleep on long journeys. At the same time, they are comfortable for continuous driving. The side bolsters provide good grip and hold you firmly.

Service Experience
Since it was during the lockdown, the appointment and service processes were a bit cumbersome, but the service center experience was good. I am looking forward to checking out the experience during the 10k service for the workmanship quality. The picture of the customer lounge says a lot about the situation. I was the only customer to be waiting there.
Kia Sonet : Official Review-capital-kia.jpg

I did a small experiment with the key, by keeping the key outside after starting the vehicle and trying to lock it. The car didn't lock when the key was outside. Then, I manually locked it from inside (from the driver's door) through the window and then I found that it could not be opened from outside with the key or the door handle sensor. The only option available is to enter through luggage compartment. So if you leave anyone with the engine idling and take the key with you, if they lock it from inside, you have to enter through the luggage compartment.

Pros
  • Very Smooth engine, without any diesel clatter
  • Smooth gear shifting with a light clutch (not very light though)
  • Very good ground clearance that helps to tackle unexpected bumps on village roads or the unorthodox city speed bumps
  • Ample space for luggage - if we remove the luggage tray we can accommodate more
  • More than sufficient interior lighting
  • Nearly perfect NVH levels
  • Very nice audio system with wireless Android Auto
  • Decent equipment list for the price band - eg. Cruise control, Sunroof, LED auto headlamps, remote start etc
  • Powerful LED headlamps and projector fog lamps that light up the road clearly
Cons
  • Very unexpected, hard braking is really annoying
  • The horn pad is really tough to press. I really liked the design in the Liva which enables us to use the thumbs to operate the horn quite easily
  • Missing equipment like rear wiper
  • Missing a functional roof rack
  • Telescopic steering adjustment is really missed
  • Headlamp level adjustment is not so satisfactory as it changes drastically with the load in the vehicle. Maybe I will need to get used to it
And one thing I am disappointed about is that Kia has now introduced ESC, alloy wheels and rear window curtains in the HTX (for a decent margin). For me, its a big big miss!! I am sure many HTX owners would feel so.

There are some accessories which I thought would be helpful. 5D Mats from Autofurnish, rubber trunk mat, rain guards, screen guard for the touchscreen and seat back organizer for the driver's seat since there are no pockets. All of these are DIY items.

Kia Sonet : Official Review-img_20201207_165015665.jpg

Kia Sonet : Official Review-img_20201207_165053152.jpg

Kia Sonet : Official Review-img_20201221_170006711_hdr.jpg

Kia Sonet : Official Review-img_20201209_175639885.jpg

I have done a few DIY updates during the lockdown. Bought these chromium plated rolls from Amazon.
Kia Sonet : Official Review-img_20201207_165103365.jpg

A red accent on the front grill and fog lamp bezel.
Click image for larger version

Name:	Sonet FR.jpg
Views:	832
Size:	1.92 MB
ID:	2159934

Added a silver shoulder line.
Kia Sonet : Official Review-sonet-side.jpg

Last week I did another lockdown project with the wheel caps. The alloy lookalike wheel caps are a clever thought from Kia. For safety, Kia has designed the wheel cap in such a way that it gets locked with the wheel nut. Therefore, we need to remove all the wheel nuts to remove the wheel cap. I was very skeptical about the wheel studs getting damaged if doing it without jacking up the vehicle. So, it took a little more effort than usual to do this DIY. But as you know, it's the lockdown, no I have no other job to do during weekends!! Hope it looks good!
Kia Sonet : Official Review-picsart_052107.52.45.jpg

With my previous vehicle, I was a big fan of 3M products and I used to buy the 3M kit for cleaning and polishing. Even then, I had the problem of water spots remaining on the body. I then tried Amway car shampoo and it was better in my experience. Recently, I found that Meguiar products are available through Amazon and I thought of trying one. The result was really amazing as this one doesn't leave water spots at all!
Kia Sonet : Official Review-screenshot_20210521191300394.png

This Turtlewax hybrid detailer also gives a pretty nice finish. I uses it for cleaning in between body washes, mostly once in two weeks.
Kia Sonet : Official Review-screenshot_20210521191441602.png

This windscreen washer is really a wonder product. I have used 3M, Jopasu cleaner from Toyota dealer etc, but none of those have given a finish like this product gives.
Kia Sonet : Official Review-screenshot_20210521191404938.png

Last edited by BKB999 : 25th May 2021 at 12:50.
BKB999 is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 28th May 2021, 00:15   #1080
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by niranjan94 View Post
From the video it looks like the sunroof is in tilt mode. Hence the water dripping is seen.
Agree with that!
I used to check this while washing my Sonet HTX and I have driven in heavy rain during my road trip with the shade open. Not even a single drop has been leaked in. IF kept the tilt open, definitely we can see the water dropping in. I believe this is another subscription scam video The Harrier video doesn't even show the full sunroof.
BKB999 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed