Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th July 2021, 16:50   #1141
BHPian

Re: Kia Sonet : Official Review

Hello members, Visited Shreenath Kia surat to inquire about sonet/seltos , have heard some bad reviews about Kia dealerships but to my utter surprise it was a great experience, the salesguy was enthusiastic and was well educated to recommend the better car as per our requirements, he didn’t push for a seltos just for the sake, as we were clear about our necessities and requirements he suggested to go for Sonet diesel AT. I took a short test drive and I can say what a delight it was to drive and I have to admit Kia has done a great job in driving dynamics department, the steering was direct, had feel and feedback and i was able to feel where the 4 tyres were on the road . The suspension was stiff but not harsh .We’re looking to upgrade from our Swift ZDI 2015 as it had multiple breakdowns and lots of service maintenance in past 6 months . I would recommend this dealership to everyone and suggest to go on a weekday
Oomph11 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th July 2021, 20:02   #1142
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by K.grg View Post
No Traction on this Sonet forum

I am keen to know about BHPian's buyer's experience of Sonet, from June '21 onwards (after the facelift was launched). But, this forum has very less traction and no new updates from new owners. I am wondering if new deliveries haven't happened to BHPians of late or deliveries have been drastically delayed.
Just received this mail from dealership. From a promised delivery in 6-7 weeks, has now turned to a waiting period of 6-7 months.
Attached Thumbnails
Kia Sonet : Official Review-screenshot_20210713180308_2.png  

Ethnicul is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th July 2021, 15:56   #1143

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethnicul View Post
Just received this mail from dealership. From a promised delivery in 6-7 weeks, has now turned to a waiting period of 6-7 months.
7 months??
I just booked petrol IMT HTX, and on the booking docket it says 20 weeks.

If I may ask, where did you book it from?
Old 16th July 2021, 13:55   #1144
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vin_Redline View Post
If I may ask, where did you book it from?
My booking is with a dealer at Navi Mumbai. Even though the dealer knows about the delay in deliveries, at the time of booking, they quote standard waiting periods.
Old 18th July 2021, 23:38   #1145
BHPian

Visited kia and hyundai showrooms at whitefield bangalore yesterday to check Sonet and Venue dct.
Kia showroom experience was brilliant, very professional and helpful whereas Hyundai was pretty ordinary.
The executive at Kia gave a walkaround of the htx version that was in display and gave a clear view of the differences between htx and gtx+ dct trims.
A test drive was arranged within 5 mins, the test drive vehicle was the 2020 model and not the updated 2021 model.
Except for the space in 2nd row rest everything looked and felt good about sonet.
Waiting period for sonet is approx 20 weeks as per the executive.
On the other side, hyundai executive was not very clear of the recent changes on the sx trims and gave few false info which was not matching what was in the brochure. They were more interested in talking about financing rather than the car. Also there was no dct venue available for test drive.
What felt more bad was that a rough qoute provided by Kia for my current car based on model, year of registration etc was 1Lakh+ more than what hyundai qouted.
Old 19th July 2021, 22:13   #1146
BHPian

I have the Sonet GTX+ 7 DCT bought last year which obviously did not come with paddle shifters. As this was the main change between the already old () model and the 2021 Sonet, I was enquiring with my dealer in Bangalore to see if I could install the paddle shifters without voiding warranty.

As per the service advisor, the process would involve a new steering wheel, additional wiring in the engine bay, and of-course changes to the ECU. This sadly, is not an option offered by Kia as of now, and given the few GTX+ models they sold before the changes, and the even fewer number of owners that are likely to be interested in paying to have paddle shifters, it is unlikely to ever be on offer.

In case any Sonet owners wondered as I did, looks like we'll have to be content without paddle shifters.
Coyote is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th July 2021, 16:48   #1147
BHPian

Hi all,
I see many of the prospective buyers are upset with long delivery times and look what I have stumbled upon.
My query is can we use a brand new unregistered car for driving school?
Also will it hit brand/car reputation in a adverse manner?
Thank You.Kia Sonet : Official Review-img_20210721_080042__01.jpg

Last edited by matchvan : 25th July 2021 at 16:49.
matchvan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th July 2021, 17:19   #1148
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coyote View Post
I was enquiring with my dealer in Bangalore to see if I could install the paddle shifters without voiding warranty.
I asked about the rear window sunshade and got a similar response. As per the SA, the doors of the new models have difference in cuts; not just on the door pad but also on the steel door. Therefore, the entire door needs to be changed to add the sunshade.

Here’s the response from Kia support when someone asked about changing the old emblem with the new one.

Quote:
the previous Kia emblem is not possible to change with the present one. We feel each vehicle with the Kia emblem is unique and inspiring.
The rear window sunshade is what I miss the most. And mine is one of the last batch of old model cars (mid April).
robincsamuel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th July 2021, 23:55   #1149

Hello All,

I'm unable to open the Fuel lid inspite of trying it for multiple times. I have enough Diesel in the car to manage for this week, however worried as to how this can happen to a just 7 months old car. Anyone else who had faced this issue? Lastly, any tips on fixing it without visiting the Service center
Old 26th July 2021, 00:00   #1150

Quote:
Originally Posted by robincsamuel View Post
I asked about the rear window sunshade and got a similar response. As per the SA, the doors of the new models have difference in cuts; not just on the door pad but also on the steel door. Therefore, the entire door needs to be changed to add the sunshade.

Here’s the response from Kia support when someone asked about changing the old emblem with the new one.

The rear window sunshade is what I miss the most. And mine is one of the last batch of old model cars (mid April).
Subtle features added to the car are certainly useful and 'awesome'

I have Diesel Top end model so hurts me the most (Sunshade, Paddle shifters)
ankur2smart is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th July 2021, 15:00   #1151

Quote:
I have the Sonet GTX+ 7 DCT bought last year which obviously did not come with paddle shifters. As this was the main change between the already old () model and the 2021 Sonet, I was enquiring with my dealer in Bangalore to see if I could install the paddle shifters without voiding warranty.

As per the service advisor, the process would involve a new steering wheel, additional wiring in the engine bay, and of-course changes to the ECU. This sadly, is not an option offered by Kia as of now, and given the few GTX+ models they sold before the changes, and the even fewer number of owners that are likely to be interested in paying to have paddle shifters, it is unlikely to ever be on offer.

In case any Sonet owners wondered as I did, looks like we'll have to be content without paddle shifters.
Hello,
Can you please elaborate your experience with the DCT transmission till now? Did you ever face the infamous heating issue due to which multiple people consider DCT to be an unreliable system?
I want to opt for DCT over iMT, hence, just trying to gather info from people who have actually driven it over a longer period.
Old 27th July 2021, 11:45   #1152
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmathur28 View Post
Hello,
Can you please elaborate your experience with the DCT transmission till now? Did you ever face the infamous heating issue due to which multiple people consider DCT to be an unreliable system?
I want to opt for DCT over iMT, hence, just trying to gather info from people who have actually driven it over a longer period.
Hi,

I have had no issues with the DCT till now. As a result of the lockdowns and work from home, my running has been limited - I have covered about 8000 km's in the 8 odd months of ownership. Of this, about 50% has been highways and rest have been the city.

The DCT is a joy to drive, and the vehicle is very responsive, especially in the sport mode. I smile every time I am at the wheel. My close friend has the iMT GTX+ and he's also quite happy with the purchase.

My thought process was - the same engine and gearbox is being used on the Venue, the Sonet, the i20, and the Verna. Given such widespread usage, the chances of something terrible happening are statistically low. My intended usage period for this vehicle is 5-7 years. With the extended warranty till the 5th year, I should be covered. If I want to retain it beyond 5 years, I am likely to know by the 5th year, if there are any gremlins under the hood. So, it's a calculated risk.

I will however, say this. This is a small turbo petrol engine. Naturally, the FE is going to depend entirely at your driving pattern. I recently did a Bangalore to Hubli and return run. On the way to Hubli, I was enthusiastic in my driving, and the FE displayed on the MID was about 14. On the way back, I activated cruise control for 80% of the drive, set it at 90, and relaxed. The displayed FE was around 18 (after travelling inside Bangalore till the airport and then on to Electronic City on a Sunday evening). However, I still had more than a quarter tank left when I reached - thus the actual FE, had I continued the driving pattern, would easily be around 21-22 (if not more).

This, in my opinion, is more work in the iMT as you have to still engage the gears. Plus it's neither here nor there - for most of my drive my left arm and both my legs were relaxed - you can't do that if you are operating gears.

Do note this is my perspective alone, and may vary from those of others. Hope this helps.
Coyote is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 27th July 2021, 12:32   #1153

Quote:
This, in my opinion, is more work in the iMT as you have to still engage the gears. Plus it's neither here nor there - for most of my drive my left arm and both my legs were relaxed - you can't do that if you are operating gears.

Do note this is my perspective alone, and may vary from those of others. Hope this helps.
Thank you for the detailed response. This is exactly what I was looking for, an owner's perspective, and I also felt the joy and comfort during the TD.
I agree with the iMT being neither here nor there, which I also felt during my recent TD. At turns, if you're not shifting the gear down while reducing speed, it cuts off the power to the engine and will beep continuously until you put the car into lower gear. In a manual, you can still manage by pressing the clutch but here it becomes compulsory. It doesn't really give the feel of an automatic if you've to keep changing gears yourself.
Old 27th July 2021, 13:37   #1154
BHPian

Quote:
Naturally, the FE is going to depend entirely at your driving pattern.
Do you remember the FE you got during the first 1000kms? I've only covered 1000kms and that's completely in a rural area with a lot of steeps grades, turns, potholes, etc. To give a better idea about the road conditions, the average speed on the UVO app is 22kmph.

The FE I'm getting is 10-12 (was 8-10 before the first 500kms). I'm trying to understand if it's just because of the terrain or is it going to improve after 3-4k km.

Also, has anyone had a wheel spinning issue? The concrete road to my home is steep with a sharp turn and it's a little slippery due to the rains, and there's a wheel spin most of the time. Recently, I started shifting to manual mode before starting the steep to keep the 1st gear engaged and no more wheel spins. This is my first automatic and my previous car was a Santro Xing. I never had a wheel spin while driving Santro to my home. Is that something with the DCT/Automatics?
Old 27th July 2021, 15:46   #1155
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by robincsamuel View Post

The FE I'm getting is 10-12 (was 8-10 before the first 500kms). I'm trying to understand if it's just because of the terrain or is it going to improve after 3-4k km.
My FE for the first 500 odd kms was 10-12 as well. However the latter portion of my running in was done on highways where the FE was around 14-15. It does improve with some running. At present my FE is about 12-13 in the city and variable on the highways.
Coyote is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks