Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th July 2021, 08:26   #1156
BHPian

Re: Kia Sonet : Official Review

Anyone facing issues with Kia delivery. Booked GTX+ D AT in Jan and they are just delaying the dates every two weeks.

Really fed up with Kia and contemplating a cancellation, which hurts because it's already been 7 months
aeeshaan007 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th July 2021, 11:42   #1157
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeeshaan007 View Post
Anyone facing issues with Kia delivery. Booked GTX+ D AT in Jan and they are just delaying the dates every two weeks.

Really fed up with Kia and contemplating a cancellation, which hurts because it's already been 7 months
I booked in November 2020, was promised delivery in December, then radio silence for a month afterwards. In February I changed the colour, so went to the back of the line, if there was one. The showroom was closed during the lockdown, so exclude about 2 months of wait between April and June.

The reason I'm sticking with my booking is that the vehicle is the upgrade I was looking for, no one offers a diesel automatic in the segment. Thankfully didn't sell my current car, I serviced it and repaired it as my expectation is that delivery won't happen before October. I contacted the salesperson and he said yesterday (Wednesday) that allocation will happen at the end of the month, this Saturday! I've been getting this "next month allocation will happen" updates for 4 months. FYI, the booking is for a GTX+ D AT in steel silver.

The only thing to watch out for is the finance aspect with the bank.
avira_tk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th July 2021, 12:32   #1158
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avira_tk View Post
I booked in November 2020, was promised delivery in December, then radio silence for a month afterwards.
=====
The only thing to watch out for is the finance aspect with the bank.
I have been getting similar answers for last 3 months, that my vehicle is in first prio, but I see everyone else getting it.

All I've come to know is that is the delay is probably due to semi conductor Shortage. Even if there is queue concept, it highly opaque. I am not really sure how much longer to wait, but like you put it, there's not really a good backup option in the market for this variant.

And guess what, my booking is a steel silver as well. I guess we've selected the unpopular colour for production. But looks really good in my honest opinion.
Old 29th July 2021, 20:34   #1159

Quote:
Originally Posted by avira_tk View Post
FYI, the booking is for a GTX+ D AT in steel silver.
Quote:
And guess what, my booking is a steel silver as well. I guess we've selected the unpopular colour for production. But looks really good in my honest opinion.
IMHO, steel silver is one of the most underrated, and one of the best looking colour options available. A little flat when it's very sunny outside, sure, but when the sun is anything but directly above, it looks understated and pretty, and makes the car look bigger than it is. That's why we chose it

It took us almost six and a half months to get delivery, and coming from a 3rd gen Honda City, this has been quite an interesting experience.

To folks who are still waiting for your car to be delivered, look at the upside - you get the updated Kia logo and some new feature additions
ChiwdaG is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th July 2021, 20:37   #1160
BHPian

We booked Sonet GTX Plus Diesel AT on June 28.

We received a call from dealership today informing us that the delivery will be delayed by at least couple of months. We were earlier told a waiting period of 4 months which is being pushed to at least 6 months now. My son is again looking at the other options in the market, Creta SXO IVT being one of the top contenders, though he is aware that Creta commands equal/longer waiting period and the 1.5 NA petrol engine isn't the best in that segment.

We would also look at the MG Astor when it is launched during festivals. That car looks promising. Kushaq is off the list due to absurd omission of safety kit from the top AT variant and poor interior quality. VW Taigun might fall into the same bucket unless VW doesn't make the same silly mistakes, but I'm not holding my breath.

It's ludicrous that we have so many options in the 10-20 lacs segment but very few of them actually offer good quality with good engine and transmission.
Col Mehta is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 30th July 2021, 00:51   #1161
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Col Mehta View Post

I booked my Sonet GTX+ D-AT on July 22rd. God only know when the car will get delivered. The dealer keeps being optimistic about a max 2month waiting period. I am very tempted to go for the Kushaq Style 1.0 MT. The Silver shade is available in Mumbai by August 6th. I’m so tempted, just holding out for the automatic. Let’s see how long my patience lasts

It's ludicrous that we have so many options in the 10-20 lacs segment but very few of them actually offer good quality with good engine and transmission.
You can say that again. The Sonet is the only car in this price range that offers everything you need in one car
armumbai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th August 2021, 21:17   #1162
BHPian

Finally got the allotment. After 7 looong months of waiting.

Had the delay escalated. Initially the complaint was handled by the customer service personnel of the dealership. Even when that turned out to be fruitless, it was escalated to the ASM who was more clear and definite with his responses. My case was directly managed by the ASM and finally we got the allotment mail yesterday.

Will update the forum after we get our hands on the vehicle.
aeeshaan007 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th August 2021, 21:59   #1163
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by armumbai View Post
You can say that again. The Sonet is the only car in this price range that offers everything you need in one car
Everything except rear legroom. The GT line versions are actually so well kitted that all other cars in 10-20 L range feel something amiss. No wonder the waiting is going on increasing like crazy. If only it had slightly better legroom
speedfreak01 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 4th August 2021, 22:06   #1164
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedfreak01 View Post
Everything except rear legroom. If only it had slightly better legroom
And width.

It's competitors like Nexon, XUV300, Brezza etc. have significantly better rear seat width.
abhishek46 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th August 2021, 11:39   #1165
BANNED

Hi Guys got some query in DCT transmission.

In DCT transmissions is it required to shift to neutral when the car is stopped (eg at a signal)? Does the DCT disengage both the clutches when stopped? The MID shows D1 (not N) when stopped in D mode. How does the creep function work when the brake is released?
Old 6th August 2021, 17:04   #1166
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelneo View Post
Hi Guys got some query in DCT transmission.

In DCT transmissions is it required to shift to neutral when the car is stopped (eg at a signal)? Does the DCT disengage both the clutches when stopped? The MID shows D1 (not N) when stopped in D mode. How does the creep function work when the brake is released?
It's not necessary, but it's good practice. DCT does not disengage , and tends to get overheated when stationary in D1. Creep works same way as a TC.
JishD is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th August 2021, 18:42   #1167

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coyote View Post
Hi,

My thought process was - the same engine and gearbox is being used on the Venue, the Sonet, the i20, and the Verna. Given such widespread usage, the chances of something terrible happening are statistically low. My intended usage period for this vehicle is 5-7 years. With the extended warranty till the 5th year, I should be covered. If I want to retain it beyond 5 years, I am likely to know by the 5th year, if there are any gremlins under the hood. So, it's a calculated risk.
I am in the market for a Sonet GTX+ Petrol DCT and will be test driving one tomorrow (Already had a TD with the HTX+)

What you mentioned here is exactly what I have been thinking . After watching and reading about the DCT heating issues I was slightly alarmed but some more googling, "youtube"ing and searching the forum I understand that the DCT requires some changes to driving habits (mostly unlearning some habits).

Quote:

I have been told the factory waiting period for any of the trims is 5 months (Udupi/Mangalore).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Col Mehta View Post

We received a call from dealership today informing us that the delivery will be delayed by at least couple of months. We were earlier told a waiting period of 4 months which is being pushed to at least 6 months now. My son is again looking at the other options in the market, Creta SXO IVT being one of the top contenders, though he is aware that Creta commands equal/longer waiting period and the 1.5 NA petrol engine isn't the best in that segment.

We would also look at the MG Astor when it is launched during festivals. That car looks promising. Kushaq is off the list due to absurd omission of safety kit from the top AT variant and poor interior quality. VW Taigun might fall into the same bucket unless VW doesn't make the same silly mistakes, but I'm not holding my breath.

I have a token booking on the Creta SX IVT but production has been stopped due to parts shortage and will be started after August 12th, as told to me by the Sales Executive. Also the SX IVT has received a price hike of 20,000/- on road.

I started researching some more and have zeroed in on the Sonet now.

Quote:
Finally got the allotment. After 7 looong months of waiting.

Had the delay escalated. Initially the complaint was handled by the customer service personnel of the dealership. Even when that turned out to be fruitless, it was escalated to the ASM who was more clear and definite with his responses. My case was directly managed by the ASM and finally we got the allotment mail yesterday.

Will update the forum after we get our hands on the vehicle.
The Sales executive at Kia told me that although the official waiting period is 5 months they are getting mulitple allocations every month and have actually delivered cars within one month of booking.

Will update after the test drive and discussions.
Old 10th August 2021, 16:58   #1168
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtRuckus View Post

The Sales executive at Kia told me that although the official waiting period is 5 months they are getting mulitple allocations every month and have actually delivered cars within one month of booking.
Please do your due diligence here. The car is in high demand all over India and I am pretty sure Kia would not such unrealistic booking period otherwise. Either the dealer has placed more orders to Kia against actual booking or they are mis representing information to get your booking.
Also the manufacturing is impacted with semi conductor shortage like all other auto manufacturer. Just my 2 cents.
aeeshaan007 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th August 2021, 17:32   #1169
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Please do your due diligence here. The car is in high demand all over India and I am pretty sure Kia would not such unrealistic booking period otherwise. Either the dealer has placed more orders to Kia against actual booking or they are mis representing information to get your booking.
Also the manufacturing is impacted with semi conductor shortage like all other auto manufacturer. Just my 2 cents.
This is a standard operating procedure \ trick to get a booking - with one exception - Cash payment. They may provide an early allotment from other cancelled orders if someone else is paying full cash down.
Kosfactor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th August 2021, 18:35   #1170

I test drove the GTX+1.0 iMT Petrol today.
Coming from a Hyundai Grand i10 Sportz it was definitely an upgrade.
The ARM Kia at Udupi drove the test drive vehicle to my house, ~30 Kms away.
That was nice of them. This allowed us to spend ample time with the car.
I had a great time driving with the iMT. The Bose sound system is pretty good for casual listeners and had good response to my test tracks (The sound of Bali from the movie Shaitan and some more house and jazz songs along with bollywood). The EQ settings were off and I just tuned it to what I usually keep it to.
My parents too tried out and sat in the rear. The leg room is fairly sufficient. The SE who was driving was 6'1" and I (5'10") sat right behind him with enough space. Over long distances I am not sure if the under thigh support is enough but my parents were happy with the car. They did feel that its for 4 people and the rear center seat was only in case of fitting 5 people if absolutely needed.
The wife was making a note of all the buttons and screens that our 2 year old would be playing with

Quote:
This is true. I asked the SE to be candid and tell me the actual wait time.
He said they will commit to 5 months on paper as the wait time from the factory.
What he did say was they have been delivering these particular trims as the bookings from here are not as many. Mostly the HTK and HTX+ are having long waiting periods.
Again, I did take this with a pinch of salt.
One thing he did tell me though is that Kia has made alternative arrangements for the chip shortage as this car was launched during the lockdown and they were already aware of the possible shortage (sic). Not sure if this is true or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post
This is a standard operating procedure \ trick to get a booking - with one exception - Cash payment. They may provide an early allotment from other cancelled orders if someone else is paying full cash down.
He did say that based on booking seniority they offer cancelled vehicles to the next in line for that variant (colors may not be same.)

Well I put my money down on the GTX+1.0 DCT, Gravity Grey. DCT because the wife plans on starting to drive (has a license but hasn't driven since getting it) and I feel it gives us the ease of use in city conditions considering we will be in Bengaluru .

Now the wait starts.
SgtRuckus is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks