Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 11th August 2021, 19:34   #1171

Re: Kia Sonet : Official Review

If anyone is interested, here is the latest price list for the Sonet from ARM Kia, Mangaluru / Udupi.
Kia Sonet : Official Review-sonet_price_list_13_07_2021.png
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Sonet 13.07.2021.pdf (229.5 KB, 220 views)
Old 15th August 2021, 19:08   #1172
BHPian

Introducing our Kia Sonet after 7 months of waiting - Steel Silver GTX+ AT Diesel

Currently going through the owner manual - wish I had touched my study books like I have attacked this .

Will shortly update on my first impressions.
Attached Thumbnails
Kia Sonet : Official Review-img_20210814_184421.jpg  

Kia Sonet : Official Review-img_20210814_184408.jpg  

aeeshaan007 is offline   (23) Thanks
Old 20th August 2021, 16:19   #1173
BHPian

I have heard that DCT is not suitable in start-stop traffic and heats up or it affects the reliability of the engine/transmission. Rather an iMT is a better option if the drive is 70% in the city and 30% highway. Sonet owners can you please share your reviews/ reliability issues if any and suggestions as to which should be bought. Thanks in advance.
Old 21st August 2021, 20:12   #1174
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artyom View Post
I have heard that DCT is not suitable in start-stop traffic and heats up or it affects the reliability of the engine/transmission. Rather an iMT is a better option if the drive is 70% in the city and 30% highway. Sonet owners can you please share your reviews/ reliability issues if any and suggestions as to which should be bought. Thanks in advance.
I am not a Sonet owner but by looking at the heating issues faced by the DCT gearboxes in cars like Venue, Creta and Seltos, I'd suggest you to stay away from the petrol automatic variants of this car, atleast for now, if you running is higher in the city. iMT would be a better bet if you want to buy Sonet just for the city drives. If you do have some highway drives throughout the month and you need an automatic, then I'd suggest you to shell out some extra money from the pocket get the Diesel Auto. The Torque Converter is a reliable gearbox and you won't face any heating issues in the city, plus, you'd get the punchy performance and extra fuel efficiency from the car.

Happy Motoring
Pedalmasher_20 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2021, 14:04   #1175

Quote:
Check out this comment :
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offic...ml#post5111091 (Kia Sonet : Official Review)

Its first hand experience of a DCT owner over a considerable period.

IMO the heating issue with DCT transmission is a red herring you'll find everywhere on the internet. I'm not saying that it can't happen at all, but the probability of its occurrence is highly exaggerated. It depends majorly on your driving style and outside temperature I think. You'll not face it if you follow basic precautions like putting the car in N mode at long signals.
As for the iMT, it has its own quirks which you may or may not like.
I'll suggest you to go for a long TD with both iMT and DCT and then decide.
pmathur28 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2021, 14:40   #1176
BHPian

Quote:
Why don't you try the Diesel Automatic variant? It is a torque converter engine and should run fine for a long time.
woof is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2021, 16:16   #1177
BHPian

Quote:
I have the DCT Sonet, a close friend the iMT, and a third close friend has just booked a DCT as well.

I am in the process of compiling an ownership review (which went from an initial purchase review to a full fledged initial ownership review due to my lethargy ) that I hope to finish sometime next month.

I have had no issues with the DCT till now, and would suggest you try out the both the 7DCT and 6AT. I chose the 7DCT over the 6AT because the Diesel is simply not as responsive as the Petrol, and I chose the Sonet over the Nexon simply because it was more fun to drive.

If I were to avoid the DCT simply due to fears, I would not bother with the Sonet 6AT at all, and would have bought the Nexon AMT. Would have saved a couple of lakhs too.
Coyote is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2021, 19:48   #1178
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedalmasher_20 View Post
if you running is higher in the city. iMT would be a better bet if you want to buy Sonet just for the city drives. If you do have some highway drives throughout the month and you need an automatic, then I'd suggest you to shell out some extra money from the pocket get the Diesel Auto
Since the vehicle will be used by dad so I don't want him to face any issues about how small that be and since the gearbox is the heart and if there is any doubt about it I would rather stay away. Had it been my vehicle I might have gone for the DCT. Diesel is not being considered at all as my mom feels nauseous in a Diesel car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmathur28 View Post
Check out this comment :
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offic...ml#post5111091 (Kia Sonet : Official Review)

Its first-hand experience of a DCT owner over a considerable period.

IMO the heating issue with DCT transmission is a red herring you'll find everywhere on the internet. I'm not saying that it can't happen at all, but the probability of its occurrence is highly exaggerated. It depends majorly on your driving style and outside temperature I think. You'll not face it if you follow basic precautions like putting the car in N mode at long signals.
As for the iMT, it has its own quirks which you may or may not like.
I'll suggest you to go for a long TD with both iMT and DCT and then decide.
Since the vehicle will be used by dad so I don't want him to face any issues about how small that be and since the gearbox is the heart and if there is any doubt about it I would rather stay away. Had it been my vehicle I might have gone for the DCT. Diesel is not being considered at all as my mom feels nauseous in a Diesel car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woof View Post
Why don't you try the Diesel Automatic variant? It is a torque converter engine and should run fine for a long time.
Diesel is not being considered at all as my mom feels nauseous in a Diesel car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coyote View Post
I have the DCT Sonet, a close friend the iMT, and a third close friend has just booked a DCT as well.

I am in the process of compiling an ownership review (which went from an initial purchase review to a full fledged initial ownership review due to my lethargy ) that I hope to finish sometime next month.

I have had no issues with the DCT till now, and would suggest you try out the both the 7DCT and 6AT. I chose the 7DCT over the 6AT because the Diesel is simply not as responsive as the Petrol, and I chose the Sonet over the Nexon simply because it was more fun to drive.

If I were to avoid the DCT simply due to fears, I would not bother with the Sonet 6AT at all, and would have bought the Nexon AMT. Would have saved a couple of lakhs too.
Awaiting your ownership review sir. 6AT I guess is only available in Diesal which again is not being considered at all as my mom feels nauseous in a Diesel car.
Old 26th August 2021, 14:03   #1179

I shall be buying a Sonet HTX Diesel At on 01 Sep 2021. My query is regarding the car insurance. Dealer has quoted Rs 35000.00 for a zero Dep policy after adjusting 50% NCB from my earlier car, whereas, I have been offered a zero dep insurance policy from United Insurance for Rs 25960.00 including GST. If they adjust 50% ncb(Rs 6095.00) I have to pay a total sum of Rs 19865.00. Is it worth going with United Insurance?
Old 26th August 2021, 15:10   #1180
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auto70 View Post
I shall be buying a Sonet HTX Diesel At on 01 Sep 2021. My query is regarding the car insurance. Dealer has quoted Rs 35000.00 for a zero Dep policy after adjusting 50% NCB from my earlier car, whereas, I have been offered a zero dep insurance policy from United Insurance for Rs 25960.00 including GST. If they adjust 50% ncb(Rs 6095.00) I have to pay a total sum of Rs 19865.00. Is it worth going with United Insurance?
Absolutely, I went with United India Insurance for my Seltos GTX Diesel with 50% NCB transferred and also have renewed UI insurance for our other vehicles.
xotiq is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th August 2021, 10:15   #1181
BHPian

Quote:
You can give this quote to Kia sales and also negotiate. I had a lower quote from another insurance policy and the dealer actually matched it. For me it felt like VFM as dealer insurance also contained Return to Invoice.
aeeshaan007 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th August 2021, 11:08   #1182

Had an interesting day yesterday.

I received this SMS from KIA India

Quote:
Dear *********, as requested your booking for Kia SONET has been modified to 27/08/2021.
Vehicle delivery period will be subject to stock availability and as per the booking modification date.
My original booking date is 10th August and I never made any changes or request to modify the order (colour, variant etc.).
I called my sales consultant immediately and he said that he knows about the message and that its something that everyone has received, even bookings as old as 8 months ago.

I asked them to verify this in writing and sent a reply to the confirmation email of my booking.

They replied stating:

Quote:
Dear Mr. *********

As per the telephonic conversation with KEC Mr. *********** on regarding to the
message received to you on your registered mobile number it is the System updation for Old mapped FSC to Manufacturing year 2021.
Your waiting period is considered still form the date of booking.
I then received a call from the sales manager who proceeded to explain that they had booked all vehicles using an older code in the system which KIA asked to update to the new code.

They have assured that the booking date is still considered from the original docket and that this is purely a technical thing.

I have ensured that the above conversation with the sales manager was also emailed to them in the hopes of maintaining proper documented communication.

Has anyone else experienced this?
SgtRuckus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th August 2021, 11:26   #1183
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtRuckus View Post
Has anyone else experienced this?
I got the same once.

I booked GTX+ DCT in January and got the car delivered in April. I received an SMS saying booking has been updated and the response from SA was similar. It didn’t affect my waiting period and I got the car exactly after 12 weeks as mentioned in the booking docket.
robincsamuel is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th August 2021, 07:25   #1184

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeeshaan007 View Post
You can give this quote to Kia sales and also negotiate. I had a lower quote from another insurance policy and the dealer actually matched it. For me it felt like VFM as dealer insurance also contained Return to Invoice.
Thanks for your suggestion. I followed your advice and Kia people are now quoting 31500.00. The difference according to them is cashless facility at all kia show rooms and tyre coverage upto 4 times (4 tyres) a year with preservation of NCB, key cover and return to invoice.
Old 30th August 2021, 08:35   #1185
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for your suggestion. I followed your advice and Kia people are now quoting 31500.00. The difference according to them is cashless facility at all kia show rooms and tyre coverage upto 4 times (4 tyres) a year with preservation of NCB, key cover and return to invoice.
You are welcome. I see that you previous quote from United insurance is still around 20k, correct me if am wrong. So your new premium from Kia is still 11k expensive than what you are getting outside. You can take a call here based on your preference.

Most Viewed