Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd February 2022, 18:03   #1411
BHPian

Re: Sonet diesel HTX AT or petrol GTX+ DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by manas1224 View Post
I’ll be soon getting the delivery of my Sonet diesel HTX AT which I booked on 15th October last year. Since my sales guy told me that the delivery would be in next 2 weeks or so I’m having doubts on my choice of the variant I picked.
I would suggest to go for diesel in gtx+ variant not necessarily because of running or high mileage but just that the 1.5 litre diesel engine is exactly same as seltos which will give you a much better performance than 1.2 turbo petrol offered in same gtx+. If you are ok with spending a lakh more then why not add little more and get the benefit of the diesel engine itself. The pull of diesel engine is much better than turbo petrol atleast in sonet and hence the drive would be much more satisfying. Also to clear your doubts, you can check with your dealer which sales numbers are better in gtx plus, is it petrol or diesel? This will give you an overview of the preference of customers who go for the top variant in sonet. I am a seltos owner but can vouch for the 1.5 AT diesel anyday.

Best of luck for your choice!

Last edited by WheelJack : 2nd February 2022 at 18:05.
WheelJack is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2022, 00:23   #1412
BHPian

Quote:
I’ll be soon getting the delivery of my Sonet diesel HTX AT which I booked on 15th October last year. Since my sales guy told me that the delivery would be in next 2 weeks or so I’m having doubts on my choice of the variant I picked.
Initially I picked up HTX AT primarily because of 2 reasons. One is that I would get a torque converter which is much superior than the DCT and secondly my average daily running (around 30kms) combined with petrol touching almost 115 rupees per litre. It kind of suited my needs.
There are economic decision. Then there are decisions made by the heart.

As a proud new owner of a GTX+ AT, I can vouch for the fact that I can enjoy my Sonet without having any doubts. I had the option of the variant you chose but I wanted the GTX+ so as to not miss out on ANYTHING the Sonet could possibly offer.

The reliability of DCT will always make you sceptical. The danger of fuel economy dipping when driven with some enthusiasm will always be there. The fact that there is a litre engine driving 15 lacs will not suit the ego. This is what driving a brand new GTX+ at around 70-75 kmph gives you.

Kia Sonet : Official Review-img_20220123_191400.jpg

Or you can follow your heart, tell all logics to go to hell and upgrade to GTX+ diesel. Trust me, I've spent 15 big ones on it and don't even regret a single Paisa. Neither will you. Not to mention, the GT line comes with ALL the goodies. Good luck!

Last edited by jasjotbains : 3rd February 2022 at 00:27. Reason: Added image
jasjotbains is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2022, 00:53   #1413
BHPian

Quote:
Please help my fellow BHPians, it’s my first ever car that I am going to buy & this thought is making me crazy now.
If budget is a concern choose the better engine and transmission combo, which is 1.5D AT in this case. It's not a tough choice in this regard.

If you intend to keep car for longer duration, raise the budget by those couple of lacs and get GTX+ 1.5D AT.

As someone who has committed the same mistake a decade back while purchasing a new car by picking a lower variant, I can tell you that plonking a little extra on getting a better car or that top trim of the chosen one will always work. It's those little moments like a better ICE, ventilated seats in humid summer days that makes the decision sweet in the longer run.
headbanger is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2022, 01:22   #1414
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasjotbains View Post
This is what driving a brand new GTX+ at around 70-75 kmph gives you.

Attachment 2268108
Just out of curiosity wanted to check what's the maximum you have got out of your diesel gtx+. I am a seltos gtx+ diesel owner, hence being a little curious. I have heard you can easily go all the way upto 25 per litre easily? Is that true.
Old 3rd February 2022, 08:00   #1415
BHPian

Re: Kia Sonet : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelJack View Post
Just out of curiosity wanted to check what's the maximum you have got out of your diesel gtx+. I am a seltos gtx+ diesel owner, hence being a little curious. I have heard you can easily go all the way upto 25 per litre easily? Is that true.
I've had the Sonet for over a week now but getting 25kmpl from the VGT engine seems like a far stretch (and no fun at all). ARAI rating for the VGT engine is 19kmpl if i remember correctly. With the manual transmission engine you have a better chance of hitting 25kmpl.

Quote:
Originally Posted by headbanger View Post
If you intend to keep car for longer duration, raise the budget by those couple of lacs and get GTX+ 1.5D AT.

As someone who has committed the same mistake a decade back while purchasing a new car by picking a lower variant, I can tell you that plonking a little extra on getting a better car or that top trim of the chosen one will always work. It's those little moments like a better ICE, ventilated seats in humid summer days that makes the decision sweet in the longer run.
+1 on this suggestion to our friend. Initially i also thought KIA Connect is a marketing gimmick but the freedom of switching on your Sonet and getting the cabin to 24 degrees when it's single digit temperature outside is a boon. Looking forward to the ventilated seats in summer I've made the same mistake as you (choosing lower variant) and lived with it for 9 years. Not anymore.
jasjotbains is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2022, 16:48   #1416
BHPian

Quote:
Please help my fellow BHPians, it’s my first ever car that I am going to buy & this thought is making me crazy now.
As for the variant conundrum, see if this helps.

Write down for how long you plan on keeping the car, let us say 5 years as an example.

Now, over these 5 years, will the extra 1 lakh matter all that much ?

Over the same period, will all the extra features and conveniences make your drives more enjoyable ?

You have your answer !
rhsakarp is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th February 2022, 10:44   #1417
BHPian

Quote:
I've had the Sonet for over a week now but getting 25kmpl from the VGT engine seems like a far stretch (and no fun at all). ARAI rating for the VGT engine is 19kmpl if i remember correctly. With the manual transmission engine you have a better chance of hitting 25kmpl.
Yes! The auto box can be counted upon to deliver 13-13.5 km/l in traffic and any level of spirited driving translates to 14-15 km/l on highways.

A dedicated economy run would likely yield 18-19 on a highway stretch.
sassid is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th February 2022, 11:05   #1418

Quote:
Originally Posted by sassid View Post
The usual disclaimers about personal choice apply!

However in my view, there are no wrong options. You can’t go wrong with either of these engines and they will both put a smile on your face.

In terms of features, I don’t buy often and when I do, I tend to pick the best variant I can afford. With the daily mileage suggested I would go for the DCT!

All the best in your choice!
Thanks a lot for your response. I agree that both engines are good enough but the daily mileage is the main factor now & hence thinking about DCT(still with a little bit of hesitancy though). Still a bit stuck but hopefully I’ll make up my mind and finalise it sooner rather than later.
manas1224 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th February 2022, 12:49   #1419

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelJack View Post
I would suggest to go for diesel in gtx+ variant not necessarily because of running or high mileage but just that the 1.5 litre diesel engine is exactly same as seltos which will give you a much better performance than 1.2 turbo petrol offered in same gtx+. If you are ok with spending a lakh more then why not add little more and get the benefit of the diesel engine itself. The pull of diesel engine is much better than turbo petrol atleast in sonet and hence the drive would be much more satisfying. Also to clear your doubts, you can check with your dealer which sales numbers are better in gtx plus, is it petrol or diesel? This will give you an overview of the preference of customers who go for the top variant in sonet. I am a seltos owner but can vouch for the 1.5 AT diesel anyday.

Best of luck for your choice!
Thank you very much for your response. I agree that Diesel engine trumps petrol but there are 2 main factors at play. One is difference between HTX at (13.87 lakhs) vs GTX+ at(16.10 lakhs) which is almost 2.23 lakhs. I can stretch my budget but then the next thing is the average daily running which would be 15kms per day at max and in a year I think it would be somewhere around 8k-10k.
Now, GTX+ DCT would cost me 14.88 lakhs and is a petrol variant. Don’t know if it’s okay to go for a Diesel engine if average running is not much. Basically it comes down to 2 things. Either I get a top petrol variant and be happy with whatever the performance or go for HTX or GTX diesel at and hope that I won’t face issues like DPF etc because of low running. Hopefully with the help of fellow BHPians like you I’ll find a way out soon.
Old 4th February 2022, 12:59   #1420

Quote:
There are economic decision. Then there are decisions made by the heart.

As a proud new owner of a GTX+ AT, I can vouch for the fact that I can enjoy my Sonet without having any doubts. I had the option of the variant you chose but I wanted the GTX+ so as to not miss out on ANYTHING the Sonet could possibly offer.
Attachment 2268108

Or you can follow your heart, tell all logics to go to hell and upgrade to GTX+ diesel. Trust me, I've spent 15 big ones on it and don't even regret a single Paisa. Neither will you. Not to mention, the GT line comes with ALL the goodies. Good luck!
Thank you for your response. You know I couldn’t agree more. It’s basically a choice that comes down to heart vs mind. My mind says that because my running is not that much I could shift to HTX DCT & save a lakh or go for GTX DCT & spend a lakh more.
But I cannot disagree with the fact that Diesel engine is fun to drive and my heart says to go for the best I.e. GTX+ at and shell out almost 2.23 lakhs more and hope that I start using my car more and more for other commutes plus add in a few interstate trips with family and I can easily increase my yearly running to which GTX+ at is best suited for. Still in a bit of a conundrum but I’ll make up my mind soon as the allotment time is not very far now.
Old 4th February 2022, 13:07   #1421

Quote:
Originally Posted by headbanger View Post
If budget is a concern choose the better engine and transmission combo, which is 1.5D AT in this case. It's not a tough choice in this regard.

Thank you for your response. Budget wise I’ll be stretched if I go for GTX+ diesel at but I can take that leap . As you mentioned, buying a lower trim and as I would be keeping this car for atleast next 5-6 years don’t want to regret my decision later. Having said that HTX at is a value for money and does offer lots of features so it’s definitely not like lower trims in which you get a box to drive without much of anything.
I think I’ve made up my mind to which variant to stick to which is diesel. Now I just need to analyse would it be wise to throw in 2.23lakhs extra and get a fully loaded Sonet which also gives a gud mileage even when I try to have some fun with it and press on the pedal a little hard. Or I should make my peace with HTX at and keep that money in my pocket with a smile on my face. I will decide in a day or two which route should I take.
Old 4th February 2022, 13:14   #1422

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhsakarp View Post
As for the variant conundrum, see if this helps.

Write down for how long you plan on keeping the car, let us say 5 years as an example.

Now, over these 5 years, will the extra 1 lakh matter all that much ?

Over the same period, will all the extra features and conveniences make your drives more enjoyable ?

You have your answer !
Thanks a lot for your response. Well, that’s what exactly it has come down to now.
I’ve decided to stick with diesel variants now. Im planning to keep this car for next 5-6 years. Now it’s not extra 1 lakh because DCT is out of the picture and the difference is 2.23 lakhs.
So now I have to decide between getting all the bling & have minor heartaches once in a while(+2.23lakhs….coughs) or happy with a very good value for money car with a on my face.
I will decide which way to opt for by this weekend.
Old 4th February 2022, 13:46   #1423
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks a lot for your response. Well, that’s what exactly it has come down to now.
I’ve decided to stick with diesel variants now. Im planning to keep this car for next 5-6 years. Now it’s not extra 1 lakh because DCT is out of the picture and the difference is 2.23 lakhs.
So now I have to decide between getting all the bling & have minor heartaches once in a while(+2.23lakhs….coughs) or happy with a very good value for money car with a on my face.
I will decide which way to opt for by this weekend.
Absolutely correct decision.
If budget isn't an issue always opt for the best variant possible. In my case we had initially booked GTX+ AT but it had 6 months waiting. I needed car quickly so we settled for HTX D-AT. Only thing I miss from GTX is the ventilated seats as Delhi weather gets quite hot, however Sonet AC is a chiller so that helps.

Can't speak for DCT as I haven't driven it extensively but D-AT is a brilliant combo of fun and very good FE for an Automatic transmission. You will never regret buying it for sure.
harry10 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th February 2022, 20:34   #1424
BHPian

Quote:
But I cannot disagree with the fact that Diesel engine is fun to drive and my heart says to go for the best I.e. GTX+ at and shell out almost 2.23 lakhs more and hope that I start using my car more and more for other commutes plus add in a few interstate trips with family and I can easily increase my yearly running to which GTX+ at is best suited for. Still in a bit of a conundrum but I’ll make up my mind soon as the allotment time is not very far now.
Isn't the allotment finalised in a week? Plus the GTX+ feels at home both in the city and on highways

P.s- Would recommend that you use multi-quote instead of back to back posts to avoid getting infractions.
Old 5th February 2022, 00:49   #1425
BHPian

I own a Kia Sonet GTX+ Diesel MT, 2021 model. The total Kms I have accumulated is somewhere around 21xx Kms. For some family emergency the car was parked and was not in use for close to 3 months. After I came back, I have done two Bangalore International Airports trips. There are few rumble strips in between my house and the airport, what I have observed recently is the car looses the balance when you go over them even at really lower speeds in the range of 50 KMPH. I can feel that the tyres are swerving in some directions, from the steering feedback, its mostly towards the right.

Has any other owner faced the same, my third free service is due next week. I can definitely tell them about the issue but it will be really difficult to re-produce the same. Any suggestions how do I go about it explaining the issue and the problem?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks