Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 7th April 2022, 22:39   #1486
BHPian

Re: Kia Sonet : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbidIqbalShaik View Post
Well, that’s the thing here.

Also, I’ll soon be writing a post on this forum about why I chose this car and how my experience has been with it. I’ll try not to mention too much about the jerk/pause issue. �� Thanks again buddy.

I think it is just the way the gearbox handles the downshifting when coming to a stop. We had a similar issue in my dad's 2011 Toyota Land cruiser Prado which also had a torque converter.

Since it was our first brand new Land cruiser, I thought it was strange when we use to hear a slight clunk and a jerk when he accelerated from a dead stop.

So I started experimenting with the car by putting it into manual mode when he would come to a stop at the traffic light. We realized that the gearbox would still be in second gear and would never go into first while coming to a stop. After he stepped on the accelerator, the car would accelerate slowly (or with a delay as you mentioned) and then the gearbox would shift down in a hurry with a slight clunking noise to the first gear to pick up speed.

So I suggested to my dad to slow down gradually rather than sprinting and coming to a quick stop. We noticed that when we were casually slowing down, it would go down to the first gear and would behave normally. The issue only used to happened if he stopped a bit too quickly. Also if he did stop too quickly, I suggested to let go of the pedal slightly so the car can crawl and put itself into the first gear (This would sometimes be heard and sometime not).

We just decided to live with it and considered it to be a little quirk of an otherwise amazing vehicle.

I am guessing that this could be the issue you are facing and maybe you could try putting it in manual mode and seeing if it does something similar.

Last edited by reinhardt93 : 7th April 2022 at 22:42. Reason: Missed out the ending.
reinhardt93 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th April 2022, 22:49   #1487
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbidIqbalShaik View Post
Well, that’s the thing here.
You know what I think is happening ? I think maybe you are stepping on the gas too soon and this is happening because of the difference between petrol and diesel and possibly because of the gearbox tuning. I will do my best to explain my theory.

Check once what happens when you release the brake pedal and allow the car to reach its max creep speed of 7-10 km/hr and then gradually press the accelerator pedal.
I believe that what happens is, you are stepping on the gas too soon after releasing the brake. This could be causing the gearbox to shift to 2nd quickly at low speeds for whatever reason and you are getting an rpm drop due to upshift + anti stall surge of a higher torque diesel.
This could be due to how the powertrain is configured or due to your different way of driving, being used to a DSG + smaller capacity + turbo petrol or it could be a combination of the two factors.
Do try it out and let us know.
Mortis is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th April 2022, 02:59   #1488
BHPian

Test Drive both across engine and gearbox variants, in the city and a bit on the highway. Stability at high speed matters and a heavier car is more stable at high speeds.

Moreover, Nexon has a 5 star safety rating, whereas for Sonet, the less said the better.

In terms of sales, Nexon is the best selling CSUV for the past few months, beating Brezza and the Venue.
Old 8th April 2022, 11:26   #1489
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by umohan98 View Post
You can have a look at SCross Petrol as well. Is extremely spacious, and for city driving, is comfortable and powerful enough. It's a bit old in the market now though.

Another option you can consider is the upcoming Brezza, should have all the bells and whistles, and it will be more spacious than the Sonet.

You can also try automatics of both these cars, but not sure if they fit in the 10 lakh budget.

Did you have a look at the Magnite and Kiger? They also seem good as far as cars go, and have gotten good reviews on the forum. And they get a proper automatic CVT gearbox.
Thanks @umohan98, Swift was my first car, loved it very much, I did look at scross and brezza, liked scross but wife vetoed it, mileage is concern so not looking at automatics.
switz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th April 2022, 11:30   #1490
RYP
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by switz View Post
Hey Guys,

Planning to replace my ecosport, shortlisted tata nexon & kia sonet. Budget is 8-10 lacs on road. 90% city driving.
If I were you, i would seriously consider adding Honda Jazz to that list as well. Oodles of space, extremely reliable 1.2L NA engine, well built and that sweet-sweet CVT gearbox! Its a better engineered product than a Sonet or a Nexon anyday.
Old 8th April 2022, 20:40   #1491
BHPian

Looks like Kia Sonet base models have entered the private taxi segment. Saw this today while stuck in a horrible traffic jam at Juhu Circle Mumbai.
Attached Thumbnails
Kia Sonet : Official Review-img_20220408_203721.jpg  

Kia Sonet : Official Review-img_20220408_203741.jpg  

Old 12th April 2022, 10:28   #1492
BHPian

The Price of Sonet D AT HTX has crossed 15 Lakhs OTR on Bangalore.

Also Sonet D AT HTX comes with 4 Airbags. There is no option in AT for HTX+ with 6 Airbags plus rear wiper

Now I am really questioning the value of Sonet D AT HTX, but there is no other option with a proper AT.

Pricelist Sonet Apr22.pdf

Regards

Last edited by chandrda : 12th April 2022 at 10:35. Reason: Edited
Old 12th April 2022, 20:56   #1493
BHPian

Quote:
However, if I just lift my foot from the brake pedal and don’t press the accelerator immediately (say I press it 1-2 seconds after the car starts moving) then there is no jerk at all. Are you all experiencing the same thing? Or is it just me?
My 2 cents here with another angle. In Sonet diesel automatic, hill hold assist feature becomes active in auto mode especially on inclines for 2 - 3 seconds after lifting your foot from brake pedal. That is, brakes are applied for this brief time to avoid roll back. So you need to start accelerating after this time to avoid sudden jerk. I have test driven Sonet diesel on inclines and experienced this. I have seen the same behaviour on Honda City ZX CVT too where the sales guy specifically asked me to lift foot from brake and asked not to accelerate till car starts rolling back just to test hill hold feature. Same should be the case for Seltos diesel automatic too. Hope this helps.
CarWorld is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th April 2022, 09:16   #1494
BHPian

With all the recent price hikes Kia should have added rear disc brakes to the Sonet, the fact that even the base variant of Carens gets discs all around is reason enough for Kia to make the change.

Interestingly, I think Sonet is the only vehicle in Kia line-up in India with drum brakes.
Speedshift is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st April 2022, 19:10   #1495

Hello Everyone

I have booked a Sonet GTX plus Diesel Auto. I was initially interested in the Manual, however a test drive of the Diesel Auto made me shift to it. What can I expect?

In terms of the jerk I haven’t felt it yet after a long test drive. What I did was to let the vehicle creep a little from stand still position before pressing the accelerator. I also had put it in neutral on stand still or a red light.
Old 22nd April 2022, 19:55   #1496
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by seb11 View Post
Hello Everyone

I have booked a Sonet GTX plus Diesel Auto. I was initially interested in the Manual, however a test drive of the Diesel Auto made me shift to it. What can I expect?
Congrats on your booking. Wishing you many happy miles with your Sonet.

What can you expect? A silky smooth ride with power on tap, all jerk-free! It is a wonderful vehicle full of gizmos and one gem of a gearbox-engine combination.
jasjotbains is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2022, 20:28   #1497
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasjotbains View Post
What can you expect? A silky smooth ride with power on tap, all jerk-free! It is a wonderful vehicle full of gizmos and one gem of a gearbox-engine combination.
Comments like these, make the life of people like me all the more difficult! The waiting period gets all the more restless and frustrating.

Even worse, I have not even driven the TD vehicle of the Sonet (I have driven the Seltos D AT) so can’t really wait to get my hands on the car!

P. S.: It’s 2 months of wait already & no sign of any delivery date yet.
Old 22nd April 2022, 21:10   #1498
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashvek3141 View Post
Comments like these, make the life of people like me all the more difficult! The waiting period gets all the more restless and frustrating.

Even worse, I have not even driven the TD vehicle of the Sonet (I have driven the Seltos D AT) so can’t really wait to get my hands on the car!

P. S.: It’s 2 months of wait already & no sign of any delivery date yet.
If it helps, I waited 9 months for my car. You should definitely test drive an automatic version. I still have trouble finding a decent driving position.

I still haven't prepared an ownership post for this thread, waiting for my service complaint to be attended to as I just completed 10k service.
avira_tk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2022, 00:53   #1499

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasjotbains View Post
Congrats on your booking. Wishing you many happy miles with your Sonet.

Thanks for those lovely words. Looking forward to munching a whole lot of kilometres and exploring new and old places with it.
seb11 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2022, 10:35   #1500
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avira_tk View Post
If it helps, I waited 9 months for my car. You should definitely test drive an automatic version. I still have trouble finding a decent driving position.
Well, I have test driven the other variants of the Sonet including the 7DCT; it’s just that the dealer here in Goa doesn’t have the Sonet D AT for a TD (how stupid!). Hence, I kinda know what to expect from the Sonet. I have driven the Seltos D AT and found the engine+gearbox to be great; so just wondering what this combo would feel like in a more tighter package of the Sonet.

Most Viewed