Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 11th September 2022, 08:29   #1711

Re: Kia Sonet : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborg View Post
DO NOT do this at all. Forget about posting such things on our forum, it’s against our forum rules to do such things. I would suggest not doing this to post on uTube as well, why do something which very possibly could land you in a soup with the authorities or cause an accident. No time of night or day is a safe time for such things on a public road.

Such things are best done if you have access to a closed section of road (if you can manage that) or on a race track.

Cheers
Try doing time taken for 0-60kmph and 0-100 kmph. People will get an idea about the performance and its abilities. The Hyderabad ORR is prone to accidents. It has taken the lives of many people. Speed and negligence are top contributors, so my suggestion is not to attempt such activities.

But I will surely watch your video doing the abovementioned speeds

Last edited by Aditya : 12th September 2022 at 08:41. Reason: Grammar
hemanth_1963 is offline   (1) Thanks Received Infraction
Old 11th September 2022, 10:05   #1712
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth_1963 View Post
Try doing time taken for 0-60kmph and 0-100kmph , people will get an idea about the performance and it's abilities, Hyderabad ORR is prone to accidents it has taken lives of many people, speed and negligence are top contributors so my suggestion is not to attempt such activity

But surely will watch your video doing above mentioned speeds
These acts are strictly not advisable and have to be done with utmost care and with all safety measures in place on racetracks or other closed tracks and not on open roads. The risks you have to go through in getting this done far outweigh the benefits derived and I would never recommend anyone to do this risking their own lives and the safety of others.
yedukrishnan199 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th September 2022, 10:25   #1713

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbidIqbalShaik View Post
Anyway, the question I want to ask is, should I do this?
It's a bad idea. It may not just end at fined Rs.1500 and pay it. For anyone who actually want to know the power or performance, a test drive is all they need.
Old 12th September 2022, 11:39   #1714
BHPian

Could anyone provide inputs on the AT used in Sonet?

Whats the life that we could get out of it and what would be the replacement cost? I was wondering whether to book a Manual or an AT, so wanted to check is the AT (TQ) is similar to manual where we change clutch plates or eqvivalent part, which restores the life of the transmission or is it something which needs a full replacement? The Manuals run for ~3-5 hundreds of kilometers. Is AT similar or any additional costs involved?

Tried running through google and it appears AT TQ boxes need a complete replacement. Any comments in this regard?
Old 14th September 2022, 11:47   #1715
BHPian

Hey Sonet Owners!

I'm seriously considering shelling nearly 15L for the diesel AT (although it's over my budget of 12 L). My other choices were Brezza AT (less VFM), and Urban Cruiser (underpowered but still better VFM right now with the facelift out). Might go with UC but I really am impressed with the diesel AT, from whatever I've seen. Great gearbox + engine combination and feature loaded vehicle.

To those who own Petrol DCT:
How's the FE and do you have any regrets? Would you have opted for diesel, if you had a choice?

And to those who own diesel AT:
Would you have picked any other options in the sub 14-15 range? Including recent petrols?
epiccross is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th September 2022, 14:10   #1716
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang_Boss View Post
Could anyone provide inputs on the AT used in Sonet?

...The Manuals run for ~3-5 hundreds of kilometers. Is AT similar or any additional costs involved?

Tried running through google and it appears AT TQ boxes need a complete replacement. Any comments in this regard?
You won't be replacing a Torque Converter gearbox which is what is there in the Sonet diesel during a normal ownership period. Automatics outlast the manual in most cases, 300k-500k is anyone's guess, it'll take nearly a decade to get there by which time ICE may be outlawed in most urban limits. Manual gearboxes won't get to 500k without a sweat, they need plenty of maintenance for that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by epiccross View Post
Hey Sonet Owners!

I'm seriously considering shelling nearly 15L for the diesel AT

And to those who own diesel AT:
Would you have picked any other options in the sub 14-15 range? Including recent petrols?
Go right ahead, the diesel is a TC which is any day better than a DCT in terms of reliability, the petrol is a smaller 3 cylinder. The diesel AT gets you a drivetrain that is used in much bigger cars and it doesn't disappoint in the Sonet. My suggestion is to get the GTX.

I would not have chosen a petrol given my running of 15k a year, petrol motors need premium fuel for optimum performance, something you should keep in mind when advertising tries to fool you with headline HP numbers.
avira_tk is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th September 2022, 15:37   #1717
BHPian

Extracting the maximum fuel efficiency from an ICE car on highways is not rocket science and I’m sure many people here know how to get the best fuel economy from the Sonet’s 1.5 CRDi VGT 6AT drivetrain. However, for those who are new to this vehicle, here’s a quick tip to get the best fuel efficiency from the car:

1. Driving At Lowest Possible RPM In Highest Gear Is The Key
Usually, to get the highest fuel efficiency, your car has to run at the lowest possible RPM of the topmost gear. That means this drivetrain of the Sonet needs to run at the lowest speed of the sixth gear. The Sonet 1.5 CRDi VGT 6AT engages the 6th gear at 75 KMPH. Therefore, setting the cruise control to that speed will fetch you maximum fuel efficiency.

2. Driving At 75 KMPH Will Cause The Car To Shift Gears Back And Forth
However, if the car, due to an incline, slows down even a bit, the gearbox will shift down to the 5th gear to attain the momentum before it comes back to the 6th gear. This back-and-forth gear shifting happens quite often if you set the cruise speed to exactly 75 KMPH. That is not only uncomfortable but it will also reduce the fuel economy as well as stress the gearbox.

3. Driving At 78 KMPH Is Optimum To Get The Maximum Fuel Efficiency
Setting the cruise control to a speed that is 2-3 KMPH higher than the lowest speed the sixth gear can run at, will solve this issue. With that in mind, 78 KMPH is the optimum speed for you to extract the maximum fuel efficiency from the Sonet 1.5 CRDi VGT 6AT. At that speed, even if you are going over an incline, the car will not go below 76KMPH. That means it won't shift to the 5th gear during an incline (note that it will still shift to the 5th gear if the incline is very steep).

4. You Can Get Almost 25 KMPL On Highway With This Method
I’ve tried this out and it has fetched me a fuel economy of 25 KMPL on a 40KM drive on Hyderabad’s ORR. In comparison, I get around 21 KMPL when I drive the car at 99 KMPH (that is the speed at which I used to travel on ORR as 100 KMPH is the speed limit on that road). Since I found this out, I’ve been driving at around 78KMPH on highways and I’m extremely pleased with the fuel efficiency I’ve been getting.

5. A Few Variables You Need To Consider
For your reference, I've attained this fuel efficiency with the tyre pressure at 33 PSI (at cold temperature) on all four tyres, driving with only one passenger (apart from me who drives the vehicle), and carrying no luggage in the car. I also drive with a very lite foot and refrain from accelerating suddenly. Of course, there are plenty of other factors that can affect fuel efficiency which I have not mentioned here but I hope this tip helps the owners of the Sonet Diesel AT.

Please keep in mind that you should drive at that speed (78 KMPH) only if it is within the speed limit. If you are someone who drives at a lower speed on highway, I have no intention to encourage you to drive at a higher (78 KMPH) speed. This tip to drive at 78 KMPH is just an input from my end to help other members on the forum to burn less fuel.

Last edited by AbidIqbalShaik : 14th September 2022 at 15:41. Reason: Added more details.
AbidIqbalShaik is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th September 2022, 16:11   #1718
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Please keep in mind that you should drive at that speed (78 KMPH) only if it is within the speed limit. If you are someone who drives at a lower speed on highway, I have no intention to encourage you to drive at a higher (78 KMPH) speed. This tip to drive at 78 KMPH is just an input from my end to help other members on the forum to burn less fuel.
I have the D-At which is driven more than 20k km by now.
To add to your informative post, I have done a lot of testing on my trips for speeds to maintain with cruise control extracting maximum fuel efficiency.

The speeds are - 63, 69, 77, 82, 95. These give the best mileage even with AC on 100%. Depending on the speed limit we can drive accordingly. Recently on a trip to Meerut I maintained 95 on cruise control and got 23 kmpl on MID for the trip.

I don't drive more than 100 even on empty expressways so no idea if above 100 will also extract max FR. However, below 100 these are the speed which are best for cruising getting best mileage.
harry10 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 14th September 2022, 16:39   #1719
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
The speeds are - 63, 69, 77, 82, 95. These give the best mileage even with AC on 100%. Depending on the speed limit we can drive accordingly. Recently on a trip to Meerut I maintained 95 on cruise control and got 23 kmpl on MID for the trip.
That’s very informative. Thank you very much. Since you and I have found 77/78KMPH to be a good speed to extract the best fuel efficiency, I have a pretty good feeling that it will work for others as well. Of course, as you mentioned, other speeds can also fetch you a good fuel economy.

Your post also reminds me that I did not mention if the fuel efficiency that I talked about in my earlier post was with or without the air conditioner. Let me mention those.

Quote:
5. A Few Variables You Need To Consider
For your reference, I've attained this fuel efficiency with the tyre pressure at 33 PSI (at cold temperature) on all four tyres, driving with only one passenger (apart from me who drives the vehicle), and carrying no luggage in the car. I also drive with a very lite foot and refrain from accelerating suddenly. Of course, there are plenty of other factors that can affect fuel efficiency which I have not mentioned here but I hope this tip helps the owners of the Sonet Diesel AT.
Here are a few more details that I forgot to mention earlier:

I got this efficiency (25 KMPL) plenty of times during different kinds of the weather outside. However, the last time I got this fuel efficiency was when the temperature outside was around 36-37-degree Celsius, the temperature of the air conditioner was set to 23.5-degree Celsius and the mode was set to auto (I think the fan speed was at two), and the ventilation for both the ventilated seats was set to maximum cooling.
AbidIqbalShaik is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th September 2022, 18:28   #1720
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avira_tk View Post
Go right ahead, the diesel is a TC which is any day better than a DCT in terms of reliability, the petrol is a smaller 3 cylinder. The diesel AT gets you a drivetrain that is used in much bigger cars and it doesn't disappoint in the Sonet. My suggestion is to get the GTX.

I would not have chosen a petrol given my running of 15k a year, petrol motors need premium fuel for optimum performance, something you should keep in mind when advertising tries to fool you with headline HP numbers.
Yeah, gearbox is another concern of mine. I might also consider older UC, but damn, this looks really awesome! And the engine is mouth wateing good

For petrol I'd rather go with UC, at least you'd get good FE out of it and is good VFM. I'm so tempted to go with Sonet despite the iffy safety and ASS concerns is the stuff I've been reading about this AT Diesel. I just have long term concerns about this is all.

So hypothetically, if I drive less, would it be actually a bad option? Like I have an Amaze diesel right now (2016 Model, it's Dad's) and have not faced much issues as of now when it comes to the engine. So realistically, should serve me well for many more years to come, right?

And BTW, what do we think about the resale value? I tried looking up but really didn't get much there. Because Maruti/Toyota seems really ahead in that aspect.
Old 17th September 2022, 19:49   #1721
BHPian

Quote:
To those who own Petrol DCT:
How's the FE and do you have any regrets? Would you have opted for diesel, if you had a choice?
No, I’m quite happy with my petrol DCT.

The FE is ~10kmpl in Bengaluru city, ~12kmpl in hilly rurals and ~15kmpl on highways (all with 100% A/c, 2 adults + 1 kid). This aligns with my expectations and therefore no regrets. My usage is ~7-8k kms/year and 80% on highways.

Disclaimer: I generally like to drive petrol cars.

Last edited by robincsamuel : 17th September 2022 at 19:51. Reason: Corrected typo
robincsamuel is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th September 2022, 23:42   #1722
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Usually, to get the highest fuel efficiency, your car has to run at the lowest possible RPM of the topmost gear. That means this drivetrain of the Sonet needs to run at the lowest speed of the sixth gear. The Sonet 1.5 CRDi VGT 6AT engages the 6th gear at 75 KMPH. Therefore, setting the cruise control to that speed will fetch you maximum fuel efficiency.

Good guide but a bit of an oversimplification. If you are talking purely about efficiency you will gain more by staying in the lowest speed possible in 4th gear due to the reduced wind speed drag. So why not a gear lower than 4th for even less drag, you ask? Because then you lose the 1:1 gearing ratio and it inherently becomes inefficient.

Of course, this might not be a good idea on highways since you would be too slow but it is handy to remember when you are running out of fuel.
Old 19th September 2022, 11:14   #1723
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by robincsamuel View Post
No, I’m quite happy with my petrol DCT.

The FE is ~10kmpl in Bengaluru city, ~12kmpl in hilly rurals and ~15kmpl on highways (all with 100% A/c, 2 adults + 1 kid). This aligns with my expectations and therefore no regrets. My usage is ~7-8k kms/year and 80% on highways.

Disclaimer: I generally like to drive petrol cars.
Seeing as you are from Kerala, I'd be primarily using it in Kerala. And I live in a tier 2 city. Petrol costs and FE are a concern for me. Plus, what do you think about the power? The reason I'm planning to go with Sonet despite the questionable safety is the reviews re: the diesel engine. I've heard that the Brezza/UC etc. you'd have to do planned overtakes, is it any better in Sonet Petrol with DCT?
Old 19th September 2022, 11:54   #1724
BHPian

Quote:
Petrol costs and FE are a concern for me. Plus, what do you think about the power? The reason I'm planning to go with Sonet despite the questionable safety is the reviews re: the diesel engine. I've heard that the Brezza/UC etc. you'd have to do planned overtakes, is it any better in Sonet Petrol with DCT?
Though I’m from Kerala, I live in Bengaluru. But when I’m in Kerala (Pathanamthitta), it’s mostly the hilly rurals and bad roads, and the FE is 11-12 always. Therefore if you’re expecting more than that, you might get disappointed.

I’m really satisfied with the power delivery. I rarely have to plan overtakes, it’s a breeze. There’s enough power on tap, the trade-off being the FE. One thing I miss with this small sized petrol engine is the low-end torque, especially when I have to climb a hill really slow or park on a steep grade. But it’s a different story once the RPM is in the turbo range.

I’d suggest you to take a test drive of both DCT and D-AT. My friend booked the D-AT two months back after test driving both. Though he loved the power delivery of DCT, he thinks an abuse friendly diesel AT with low end torque suits his needs better.

Last edited by robincsamuel : 19th September 2022 at 12:00. Reason: Added more info
robincsamuel is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th September 2022, 21:01   #1725
BHPian

Hey folks,

So I got a call from the dealer today that a vehicle (Sonet HTX Diesel AT) is allotted to me and that I can take delivery in 7-10 days. I was surprised to hear from the dealer this early with my booking done only 2 months prior and the quoted waiting period being 5-6 months.

Would need your advice on the following:

I have heard that cars manufactured after October will come with 6 air bags. Given that the HTX has 4 airbags and it's primarily my wife and I who are in the car, most of the time - I'm of the opinion that this is not a deal breaker? Would like to hear your opinions if I should skip my turn and wait for another allotment, instead. (Don't know when that would happen!)

Last edited by vinvin : 19th September 2022 at 21:20.

Most Viewed