Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th November 2022, 19:52   #1681
BHPian

Re: Hyundai Creta : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vkap257 View Post
Hi,

I am in a similar situation like you regarding the thuds and creaks in Creta. Do check wether the thudding noise is actually coming from the boot or somewhere else. In my case the culprit was rear headrest which was pushed all the way up. Also, the empty front passenger seat rattles like a can when going over potholes.
In addition to this, the seat-belts in the car are an exquisite work of enigma in themselves. Whenever they are unbuckled, they always find some way to twist and turn and get stuck between the seat and the pillar. They don’t retract properly and thereby try to imitate a rattlesnake over every speedbump.

I drive a diesel - manual creta. My driving impression in 14 months of owning the car is that it slots perfectly between the 2 petrol engines. It has good push off the line and beyond 2000 RPM it pulls like a train.
Thank you for your response, dear.

The thud noise is definitely from the boot. My son who is very irritated by it, has already tested various settings and combinations (lol) to isolate the noise coming from the boot. The rear seats, headrests, seat belts, parcel tray, stuff in the boot etc - all have been ruled out. The service center guys haven't been able to locate the source either after multiple visits. I don't think they have any clue, all they do is follow trail and error method and give up.

It's definitely disappointing to see a 2 million car producing such noises - door squeaking and creaking is also highly irritating. Silicon spray helps, but only for sometime and doesn't rectify it completely. Our 1st gen Creta makes no such noises, a super silent cabin it is.
Col Mehta is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 25th November 2022, 10:38   #1682
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vkap257 View Post
I am in a similar situation like you regarding the thuds and creaks in Creta.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Col Mehta View Post
The thud noise is definitely from the boot.
The first gen Creta had two issues in the boot and guess the new Creta got the parcel tray to some extent too.

Add some double side tape with some cloth and the parcel tray wont make any noise. Also, the boot hinge was known to cause some creaks in the first geb Creta. Maybe that can checked. I had stuck tape over it and that took care of the creaks. But I do hear occasional creaks while going through potholes.

Hyundai Creta : Official Review-dsc_0028.jpg

Hyundai Creta : Official Review-img_20151028_092415.jpg
naveen.raju is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 25th November 2022, 12:04   #1683
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post
The first gen Creta had two issues in the boot and guess the new Creta got the parcel tray to some extent too.

Add some double side tape with some cloth and the parcel tray wont make any noise. Also, the boot hinge was known to cause some creaks in the first geb Creta. Maybe that can checked. I had stuck tape over it and that took care of the creaks. But I do hear occasional creaks while going through potholes.
I find it amusing that we fortunately own a car which to some extent has 70% of features of, let’s say, a BMW X3 which costs almost 3 times as much. The rest of the 30% has to be added by us in form of some double-sided tape here-some WD-40 there.

Only if structural rigidity could have been added by using some angle-iron and Fevicol. We would have been golden .
Vkap257 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th November 2022, 21:43   #1684
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post

Attachment 2383771

Attachment 2383772
As stated earlier, everything in the boot, including the parcel tray, has been ruled out. My son took out everything from the boot and the noise still persisted. The boot and rear seats hinges are nicely taped too. The HASS has called the technical team to investigate. Hopefully they will be able to find the root cause of it.

Thank you for your response though.
Col Mehta is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 30th November 2022, 08:11   #1685
BHPian

Upcoming Hyundai Creta CNG spied during ARAI emission testing near Pune

Likely to be launched early next year

Source Rushlane

Hyundai Creta : Official Review-20221130_081003.jpg

Hyundai Creta : Official Review-20221130_081005.jpg

Hyundai Creta : Official Review-20221130_081008.jpg
Old 7th December 2022, 13:14   #1686
BHPian

Upcoming Indonesia-made Creta gets a 5 star ASEAN NCAP rating - https://auto.hindustantimes.com/auto...397179587.html
automowheels is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th December 2022, 13:51   #1687
BHPian

Dear Creta owners- for usage between 3500-5000 kms a year, would buying a Diesel AT be a bad choice? My question is more w.r.t. to any DPF or any other BS6 related issues. Do you think limited runs may cause more trouble than fuel efficiency savings vis-a-vis a turbo petrol?
Old 12th December 2022, 14:43   #1688
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by automowheels View Post
Dear Creta owners- for usage between 3500-5000 kms a year, would buying a Diesel AT be a bad choice? My question is more w.r.t. to any DPF or any other BS6 related issues. Do you think limited runs may cause more trouble than fuel efficiency savings vis-a-vis a turbo petrol?
Back of the envelope calculation shows a net yearly saving of Rs 17000/- for diesel over petrol. Translates to Rs 1500 monthly savings. So it depends whether you consider it a good saving.

This is not accounting for any DPF issue, diesel lost during regen cycles or any maintenance cost difference vs DCT. Fuel efficiency assumed for petrol is 11kmpl and for diesel 15kmpl and yearly running of 5000km.

For a low running scenario, a diesel may not make so much sense given issues with BS6 engines. But DCT is also prone to gearbox heating issue and long term reliability is unknown. Difficult to pick which of the two would be less headache for your low yearly running scenario.

Last edited by Aviator_guy : 12th December 2022 at 14:45.
Aviator_guy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th December 2022, 10:45   #1689
BHPian

I would recommend diesel for the following:
1. Fun to drive torque.
2. Dead Silent.
3. TQ gives negligible rubberband effect in Diesel AT.
4. Great mileage on the highway. I got never less than 18kmpl. Diesel is a little cheap here in Bangalore.
5. City mileage same as petrol or a bit more (I am referring to Jamaluru traffic here)

As of now, I am yet to go for paid service, so cannot comment on the costs involved.
Anandg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th December 2022, 11:06   #1690
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by automowheels View Post
A BS6 diesel is NOT meant for short and infrequent runs. Please stick to petrol only if you if you planning to use it without frequent highway runs. I would prefer the 1.5NA IVT for such a use case.

PS: The BS6 diesels are less fuel efficient than say a BS4 diesel (but better than a petrol). But given the low running and meagre savings, diesel is not worth the risk.
ashis89 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th December 2022, 11:25   #1691
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashis89 View Post
A BS6 diesel is NOT meant for short and infrequent runs. Please stick to petrol only if you if you planning to use it without frequent highway runs. I would prefer the 1.5NA IVT for such a use case.
What could potentially happen if I do buy a Diesel AT for a similar usecase out of interest? DPF clogging aside, any other downsides?
epiccross is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th December 2022, 12:03   #1692
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by epiccross View Post
What could potentially happen if I do buy a Diesel AT for a similar usecase out of interest? DPF clogging aside, any other downsides?
DPF is the biggest and only known risk to me. It needs long drives to keep itself clean/regenerated.

It is an expensive component to replace if it ever goes bad. And being a relatively unknown technology, the service centres are not competent enough to debug if there are issues related to DPF or other fueling components.
ashis89 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th December 2022, 12:26   #1693
BHPian

Quote:
DPF is a beaten to death topic everywhere in this forum. I have come across very few or no major DPF issues related to 1.5 D of Koreans, compared to 2.0 L D engines of TATA and Mahindra. I am not trying to back up any manufacturer. But, yes BS6 diesels are not fill and forget type compared to BS4. Just keep in mind that the car that you are buying in 2022 might be the last ICE car that you are going to acquire. So, try enjoying a diesel as they are fun and the torque is addictive compared to a petrol. Forget about the mandatory mileage that you have to cover in a diesel compared to Petrol. Once you start driving a diesel, you will for sure try to take the car out regularly.

I do not drive for more than 6k-7k km annually. Still I went for a diesel automatic to enjoy the diesel torque and better FE. Enjoy your drive with out any second thoughts. You are not alone in this world with a diesel engine. Market is flooded with diesels and still some manufacturers are going to update their diesels to meet the new emission norms. This indicates that diesels are still going to exist for a considerable time frame.

Last edited by Hickstead : 13th December 2022 at 12:35. Reason: Corrections
Hickstead is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th December 2022, 12:41   #1694
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashis89 View Post
DPF is the biggest and only known risk to me. It needs long drives to keep itself clean/regenerated.

It is an expensive component to replace if it ever goes bad. And being a relatively unknown technology, the service centres are not competent enough to debug if there are issues related to DPF or other fueling components.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but DPF is less related to infrequent runs and more about how long those runs are. Like, if most of them are high RPM drives on highways, it shouldn't matter, yes?

Contrast that with scenario two where the split is like 90/10 City (low RPM drives)/Highway and you're much likely to encounter DPF issues in scenario 2, yes? And even in that case, shouldn't a regen fix most of the issues?

Honestly I've not heard of that many DPF issues with the Koreans yet as I do with Ford/Tatas. Isn't it covered under warranty anyway?
Old 13th December 2022, 14:30   #1695
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but DPF is less related to infrequent runs and more about how long those runs are. Like, if most of them are high RPM drives on highways, it shouldn't matter, yes?
Right. More below.

Quote:
Contrast that with scenario two where the split is like 90/10 City (low RPM drives)/Highway and you're much likely to encounter DPF issues in scenario 2, yes? And even in that case, shouldn't a regen fix most of the issues?
Ideally, yes. More below.

Quote:
Honestly I've not heard of that many DPF issues with the Koreans yet as I do with Ford/Tatas. Isn't it covered under warranty anyway?
If you look at the owner's groups on FB, you will see people reporting DPF clogging and check engine light (separate issues). Sometimes a regen doesn't fix it as the CEL comes on repeatedly. And I have been visiting 5 different Kia service centres across 3 different states and interacting with them frequently. DPF remains a grey area for them even today.

There's one member whose Alcazar needed a DPF regen after he returned from a 400 kms long highway trip. Although a manual regen fixed the issue for him, I would be worried as when/how a regen is triggered.

As such, knowing these scenarios, I would look for a petrol for predominant city use. If highway drives are in the mix then diesel is an option.

PS: my posts are not to discourage anyone from buying a diesel car but rather to make them aware what might be some of the requirements of the engine.

Last edited by ashis89 : 13th December 2022 at 14:34.
ashis89 is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks