Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 18th November 2020, 16:41   #331
BHPian

Re: Hyundai Creta : Official Review

I casually started my Creta 2020 S 1.5 NA Petrol to park it inside garage and it refused to start and made weird noises like 'neighing of horses'.

I was able to record the same on 2nd try and car finally started up on 3rd try.

I'm really worried about it and would like to know members opinions before going to Hyundai to report/rectify it.

It seems as if ignition mechanism is struggling to start the engine.

Please increase the volume of the below recorded video to listen to the weird noise:

Old 18th November 2020, 16:52   #332
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarav100 View Post
it refused to start and made weird noises like 'neighing of horses'.

I was able to record the same on 2nd try and car finally started up on 3rd try.
When a petrol vehicle cranks, but won’t start, it’s usually due to 2 reasons - 1. No fuel or 2. No spark/ignition

Since yours is a brand new vehicle, drive it straight to your ASC, go armed with your video evidence and ask them to diagnose it & permanently fix it.

It may be a faulty fuel pump as the diesel Seltos (I know yours is a petrol) too, is part of a silent recall for faulty fuel pumps - https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...-campaign.html (Kia Seltos Diesel: Fuel pump service inspection campaign)

However, ask the ASC to properly diagnose the fault & do not accept any reply which labels this starting behaviour as normal.

An informative video on what to look for when a vehicle cranks, but doesn’t start -
ChoosetoCruze is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th November 2020, 18:54   #333
BHPian

Made a long trip on my Creta DCT of about 1300 kms from Mumbai to Goa and back.

The car drives like a BOSS on the highway.

Overtaking manoeuvres are no problems at all. Just step on the gas and the car flies through the gap.

Did not even need the sports mode even for a moment. The car feels torquey on the inclines and effortlessly does the inclines as well.

The car easily touched 130-140 and never felt unstable was very stable at high speeds and you know you have crossed 120 only because of the constant chime of the warning.

Its not the most nimble on curves and not a very confident handler of curves at high speeds. U need to slow down sufficiently on curves as the bodyroll is significant and steering does not give that confidence.

Fuel efficiency was about 12 one way which was a spirited drive and 15 on the way back which was comparatively sedate due to evening and night time.

Number of times sunroof opened - 0

Although happy with the performance of the car, the KIA Seltos crash test has really given a tinge of bitterness and regret. Had this come earlier I wouldn’t have touched this car. From a safety perspective it is a downgrade for me as my Polo was a 4 star car with a stable body shell on impact. Now I have a car whose twin sister is a barely 3 star and a potentially unstable bodyshell.
rkv_hunter is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 18th November 2020, 20:28   #334
BHPian

So finally got my Polar White Creta SX IVT on 3rd Nov and have managed around 750 odd kms till now including a 600 km highway drive on NH-8 from Mumbai.

The car is definitely all that I could've asked for and more. I regret not going the extra mile and getting the SX (O). To everyone out there, if your budget permits and it's not going to be a hard pinch on your pockets, plonk in that extra 1.5L to get the SX(O).

As is common with Creta lately, the dealer refused to budge around discounts and did not even offer mudflaps which are worth 300 bucks as per the Mobis website. What's worse is that they refused to let me purchase them officially too by citing out of stock. However, if I'd have plonked 5K for mudflaps and mats, they'd have happily provided me Mobis products (which officially are INR 299 and INR 899 respectively). Absolutely unethical behaviour by them.

Got myself mudflaps and mats from Amazon. Removed plastic from the seat covers and am planning to use the OEM covers for a few months. My last car was used for 10 years and I honestly don't remember seeing the original seat covers at all. This time around, i plan to use the OEM fabric covers myself before covering them up with faux leather covers.

The Android Auto works beautifully well, however I've not figured out a way to switch back to the voice commands of Bluelink once Android Auto is switched on. Once it's on, the Google Assistant takes over. Let me know if anyone figures that out. Hopefully with Android 11, one would be able to run Android Auto wirelessly too (right now one has to connect it to the USB port, which doubles up as a charging port too)

Loved the sunroof and auto hold. It's fantastic to drive in traffic with Auto Hold feature.

I thought the car would be underpowered on highways, but even in Eco mode it inspired a lot of confidence for me to take on a few overtaking moves. Plonk down the right leg and the RPM shoots up with downshifts and the car takes off immediately. Since this is my first auto, I don't know what rubberband effect is. However, I found the car wonderfully powered and I was able to fill gaps and overtake with confidence.

A small glitch (?) which i experienced was using auto hold on a very mild incline. After running for 250 odd kms with auto hold on, when i finally braked, on accelerating after a complete stop it gave a grinding sound. ALmost as you hear when you move steering on a stationary car. I found it wierd, so switched off auto hold for a while and drove with brakes. However on, non-inclines, it started behaving normally. Did not understand whether it was wheelspin (it can't be right?) or some other glitch. May get it serviced once.

No one seem to have complained of a blind spot on right turns due to the ORVM. Maybe it's just me. Also, I find resting the left leg on the console a bit uncomfortable due to the hard plastic and the protruding design.

While taking delivery of the car, the dealership filled up 45-48 PSI in each tyre, but the TPMS did not complain strangely. After driving around 10-15 kms I had it changed to 33 psi. Seems as if the TPMS only complains if it's less than recommended pressure.

Coming from an i20, I find the car's glovebox too small and it doesn't even have a light. My 2010 i20 had a small light in the glove compartment and it was very spacious!

There's enough space even in the spare wheel in the boot. One can stuff small packages in there around the wheel while going on long drives. The wheel arches are a sore point in the boot and does take up a bit of space.
kalpeshc is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th November 2020, 20:52   #335
BHPian

Quote:
I casually started my Creta 2020 S 1.5 NA Petrol to park it inside garage and it refused to start and made weird noises like 'neighing of horses'.

Please increase the volume of the below recorded video to listen to the weird noise:

https://Youtu.be/-8IaTJCnulc
If it makes a high pitch sound at half crank (key position before crank), the alternator is gone or about to go. Get it replaced under warranty
JishD is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th November 2020, 22:48   #336
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

It seems as if ignition mechanism is struggling
I do think there was al alternator replacement done on another new 1.5 NA Creta. May want to check it out.
Nithesh_M is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th November 2020, 15:01   #337
BHPian

Quick ownership review

So it has been a month with my Phantom Black Creta 2020 1.4 DCT and I have clocked in about 2000 KM. Without going into the details already covered via official review, ownership report threads and ownership report posts, I wanted to cover some points which stood out to me during the selection and buying process as well as during my ownership period.

Choosing between the Seltos and the Creta
Looks aside, I picked the Creta over the Seltos for features which cannot be readily added in the aftermarket, i.e. Panoramic sunroof, Electronic parking brake & auto hold and Paddle shifters. I sorely missed Seltos' 360 degree camera, but am confident that a cheap and easy aftermarket solution will be available in 2021.

Buying experience
I had initially booked my car from the popular Hans Hyundai in Moti Nagar but changed it to Himgiri Hyundai, Dilshad Garden. After speaking to almost all Hyundai dealers in Delhi, I found that dealerships in less commercial areas (East Delhi) offered more a humble & personal service experience and more room for negotiation (in things like insurance).

Most underrated hits
1. Electronic parking break & auto hold - one less task after parking, everytime and forever. The auto hold is god-send for clumsy drivers like me who forget to shift/engage parking brake on incline/decline traffic signals and lift their foot off the brake. I also love it during the traffic snarls on mall ramps. I have also selected the auto door lock on shift option and I only shift to P when I am parking.
2. Ventilated seats - beyond keeping my back cool, it comes in handy for creating a faux-dual zone effect for the two front seats.
3. Air purifier - very well integrated and a boon in Delhi.
4. Paddle shifters - fantastic for quick highway overtakes in Eco mode.
5. Driving modes - noticeable performance & fuel efficiency difference.
6. Bluelink Telematics - for tracking the car's whereabouts when I loan it or give it to a valet. Also good for pre-heating/cooling the car in extreme Delhi temperatures.

Most overrated bits
1. Panoramic sunroof - Personally, opening the sunroof to the extent of regular-sized sunroof suffices for me. Unless you have rear passengers, the panoramic effect is overrated.
2. Bluelink voice command - Dumb beyond the pre-programmed actions and questions. I never use it. It's easier to operate the window/AC/sunroof by hand and Google Assistant is infinitely better. Sucks that Hyundai has force assigned the steering wheel voice command button to Bluelink. I miss being able to summon Google Assistant when connected through Android Auto or even Bluetooth with the press of a button.
3. Digital MID - The one feature I was really looking forward to was navigation directions on the MID screen. However, Hyundai has restricted the display of such directions only to their own navigation system, which is infinitely worse than Google Maps, thereby making this a dud-digital MID for me.
4. Lack of cubby storage spaces - coming from a 2nd gen Honda City, I miss the mini-glovebox on the right hand side for storing credit cards, cash etc. Using the wireless charging space now as I don't have a wireless charging phone. The under-armrest space fills is pretty compact as well due to the air purifier filter.
5. Perfume diffuser - I don't like the stock perfume cartridge and there don't seem to be any other scent options available. I wish there was user-control on the perfume diffusion in the infotainment screen or the air purifier screen. Now it is either always-on or always-off.

Additions & treatments
1.I got a Modesta BC-08 ceramic coating immediately after taking delivery. You can read about the experience here -
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modif...useful-22.html
2. Installed 3DMats Kagu 3D floor mats and am super happy with the classy looks and great build quality. They fit exactly as per the layout and the velcro bottom makes sure that they stay in place at all time. You can read more about it here -
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modif...ml#post4934888 (3D KAGU & Other Premium Mats)
3. Bought a TPH Pilot 373 car cover with reflective piping and inner microfibre as I have an open parking. You can read ore about it here -
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modif...ml#post4934862
4. Bought a combination type steering wheel lock and a copper dabba to protect the keyfob from RFID hacking. You can read the thread here -
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techn...ntry-cars.html (Using a copper 'dabba' to prevent theft of keyless entry cars)
5. Bought a Campark dual camera dashcam off Amazon and installed the auxiliary camera under the front grill for a jerry-rigged front parking camera. The catch being a mirror image display on the smaller dashcam screen but it suffices when I really need it, which isn't often. You can read more about it here - https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/car-e...ml#post4934898 (The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread)

1st service experience & issues
Had a smooth 1st service experience at Safdarjung Service Station, Lodhi Road junction. It was a 'zero' bill service and included a car wash, checking and refuelling of car fluids. Unfortunately, I ended up misplacing my car manual right after the service and have been following up with my dealer for a replacement of the same. Any tips?

Mileage
I mostly drive aggressively and in Sports mode in the city where the mileage settles to around 8 KMPL. On Delhi-Chandigarh highway round trip in Eco mode, I got around 10-11 KMPL.
iamitp is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 19th November 2020, 16:58   #338
RSR
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamitp View Post

Unfortunately, I ended up misplacing my car manual right after the service and have been following up with my dealer for a replacement of the same. Any tips?

For a hard copy, you can

1) Ask your dealer like you've done

2) Call up your nearest Hyundai Mobis parts distributor and ask them if they sell owner's manuals. Link to find one:

https://hyundaimobisin.com/locate-us...ibutor-locator

For a soft copy, you can

1) Download it from here:

https://www.hyundai.com/in/en/connec.../owners-manual

2) Download the Hyundai India service app (iOS or Android) and download it from there to your phone and/or tablet.
RSR is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th November 2020, 17:22   #339
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamitp View Post
Quick ownership review

So it has been a month with my Phantom Black Creta 2020 1.4 DCT and I have clocked in about 2000 KM.
Most overrated bits

2. Bluelink voice command - Dumb beyond the pre-programmed actions and questions. I never use it. It's easier to operate the window/AC/sunroof by hand and Google Assistant is infinitely better. Sucks that Hyundai has force assigned the steering wheel voice command button to Bluelink. I miss being able to summon Google Assistant when connected through Android Auto or even Bluetooth with the press of a button.
3. Digital MID - The one feature I was really looking forward to was navigation directions on the MID screen. However, Hyundai has restricted the display of such directions only to their own navigation system, which is infinitely worse than Google Maps, thereby making this a dud-digital MID for me.
I completely agree with Pt2 here. Sometimes it randomly intervenes during a conversation with a co-passenger. Hello Bluelink "sucks", and Hyundai better do something about it.
On Pt-3 though- I thought the MID display was pretty adequate for navigation. Also, I found the native Navigation to be good and fast enough. it has live information, and I have generally found no issues with it as such.

By the way, I also completed my first servicing yesterday, and got a rodent repellent installed inside the engine bay. One of our neighbours had recently reported rodent damage to his car, so I thought it may be worth the while. Cost 800 Rs.

Nothing much to report by way of issues or observations except a wee-bit of turbo lag that I seem to have encountered on steep inclines on a couple of occasions, (in Comfort mode), especially at the point of slowing down before making a hairpin turn. Moving to S/+- mode took care of the situation, but, its an observation nevertheless.

Last edited by fhdowntheline : 19th November 2020 at 17:26.
fhdowntheline is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th November 2020, 17:50   #340
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSR View Post
For a hard copy, you can

1) Ask your dealer like you've done

2) Call up your nearest Hyundai Mobis parts distributor and ask them if they sell owner's manuals. Link to find one:

https://hyundaimobisin.com/locate-us...ibutor-locator

For a soft copy, you can

1) Download it from here:

https://www.hyundai.com/in/en/connec.../owners-manual

2) Download the Hyundai India service app (iOS or Android) and download it from there to your phone and/or tablet.
Thanks have downloaded the soft copy for now. Shall also check Mobis option. The main thing I'm looking for in the replacement manual is the warranty and remaining 2 free service chits. Hopefully, my dealer would be able to help. Ikk

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhdowntheline View Post
I completely agree with Pt2 here. Sometimes it randomly intervenes during a conversation with a co-passenger. Hello Bluelink "sucks", and Hyundai better do something about it.
On Pt-3 though- I thought the MID display was pretty adequate for navigation. Also, I found the native Navigation to be good and fast enough. it has live information, and I have generally found no issues with it as such.

By the way, I also completed my first servicing yesterday, and got a rodent repellent installed inside the engine bay. One of our neighbours had recently reported rodent damage to his car, so I thought it may be worth the while. Cost 800 Rs.

Nothing much to report by way of issues or observations except a wee-bit of turbo lag that I seem to have encountered on steep inclines on a couple of occasions, (in Comfort mode), especially at the point of slowing down before making a hairpin turn. Moving to S/+- mode took care of the situation, but, its an observation nevertheless.
I think I'll also get a rodent repellent installed. Am considering the 3M underbody coating, despite unproven benefits, in December. Hoping for year end discounts or complimentary rodent repellent 🤞🏽

The Hyundai Maps are workable for sure. Google is just so tightly integrated into daily life that it's easy to pick up and navigate to a restaurant etc without checking if it's the correct place. Would be nice if Hyundai can offer customers an option for remapping the voice command button and navigation directions on MID through a software update.

Is there any way to get the message across to Hyundai? My Tweets to their official Twitter handle only got a contact your nearest dealership response.
iamitp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th November 2020, 09:40   #341
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalpeshc View Post
Hopefully with Android 11, one would be able to run Android Auto wirelessly too (right now one has to connect it to the USB port, which doubles up as a charging port too)
Hi kalpeshc, firstly congratulations on your purchase.

I have been doing a lot of googling on the android auto wireless issue myself. The service technician I called as a part of the post-purchase visit was absolutely sure that any model of Creta is not compatible with android auto wireless. So an android update may not help. Would be glad to know if anybody else knows otherwise.

Also what I find irksome is that if I connect the phone to the data port for android auto, the other USB port is useless. I can only use it for charging, not for USB media.
Old 21st November 2020, 14:49   #342
BHPian

Did a breakfast drive of 170 kms and came back with a wide grin on my face that I have made the right decision of picking up a turbo petrol over the NA IVT.
This thing runs and is always hungry to be pushed further. Though my car is in the run in period, I was cautious not to push it beyond the 3digit speeds. What made me happy was the availability of sheer power n torque at the push of the pedal for those quick overtakes. I was in the comfort mode for majority of the time and felt is was more than adequate for the performance i was expecting.
I know when we slot the drive mode to Sports, it tries to hold on to the gear for a few seconds more and revvs harder before moving up. But i felt some wierd behaviour with the revvs when i tried exploring it. May be will give it another try and then post a question here for expert opinion.

Ohh yes, this was her first highway drive and the fuel economy i was able to see on the MID was 15.6, which i feel is great.
D'Ro@dSt@r is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2020, 12:02   #343
BHPian

I went through the Creta manual and there is a section on Vehicle break in process.

Hyundai Creta : Official Review-screenshot_20201122114554.jpg

This does not specify any SPEED limit only upper RPM limit of 4000rpm. Now, in higher gears one can easily do 120-130-140 km/h without crossing 4k RPM threshold. So are those speeds OK in break-in period? Or am i missing something?

Asking a bit late but... took my 4 day old 1.5 SX IVT Creta to Lonavala and I tried following the 4k RPM limit on the Mumbai-Pune expressway. Though i dont recollect doing that speed but the bluelink My Trip section showed i touched max speed of 144km/h momentarily
Old 22nd November 2020, 12:11   #344
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmshaw View Post
This does not specify any SPEED limit only upper RPM limit of 4000rpm. Now, in higher gears one can easily do 120-130-140 km/h without crossing 4k RPM threshold. So are those speeds OK in break-in period? Or am i missing something?
It is an RPM limit that is generally specified during run in period and not a speed limit. So you don’t have to worry about speeds reached as long as you are within the rpm limit. It is equally important to vary the RPMs during run-in. So a long drive on a country road, with frequent slowdowns for villages and speed breakers and subsequent pick-ups, it is the best way to do the run-in miles. Also allows one to test the higher ranges within the rpm limit that city drives may not provide an opportunity for.
Old 22nd November 2020, 12:39   #345
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhdowntheline View Post
I completely agree with Pt2 here. Sometimes it randomly intervenes during a conversation with a co-passenger.
Try unchecking both these boxes in the voice recognition settings.

Even I faced a similar problem where the blue link screen would start randomly. Has not happened since I changed these settings.
Attached Thumbnails
Hyundai Creta : Official Review-img_20201122_121858.jpg  

AK79 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed